Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Will the Marvel CU ever be caught up by the DCU?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I think not and the reason is that I think DC has always relied too much on Batman and Superman and therefore the wider public don't know the other Justice League and more minor characters that well. Marvel on the other hand promoted its Avengers, Fantastic Four, X Men etc over many years and so there were plenty of fans eager to see the films with these characters.

What do you think?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MakkyD

The Justice League members were more known by the public than the Avengers members before the MCU.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, The Avengers are there top money makers anyway, since they sold the rights to Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. I mean, rarely when Marvel did a cartoon, did it not feature one of their top guys. Iron Man sort of broke that mold, but Thor is known even if you don't know Marvel's version. Hulk and Captain America are also well known, even if not at Superman and Batman levels.

Now ask Marvel to release a Black Widow or Hawkeye film, and see what response you get.

I agree that DC has spent a lot of time focusing on Batman and Superman, but even on television that's not totally the case. Arrow, Teen Titans, The Brave and The Bold (albeit mostly featuring Batman,) and of course Justice League Unlimited were shows that introduced people to characters like John Stewart, Blue Beetle, and Green Arrow in ways they hadn't gotten to shine before. In fact most of the DCaU was about unknown characters.

Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Zeta Project, and the JLU were shows that introduced an entire generation and made fans for characters that otherwise wouldn't have them.

On the film side, that's not the case, but I think DC now, has more potential to pull out characters like Harley Quinn and make them huge. I mean look at Marvel's films. Outside of Guardians of the Galaxy, their top names are the ones getting movies. Thor, Cap, Iron Man, etc. basically the Avengers. That's changing with Phases 2 and 3, but let's not forget that if not for the Avengers, we may not have gotten upcoming films like Doctor Strange and Black Panther.

DC, like Marvel, is building it's base. It launched things with Superman and now we've got Batman v. Superman coming up. Even before those though, a lesser-known group of mostly C-List characters are getting a movie with Suicide Squad. Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Katana, and Killer Croc don't really strike me as people that are going to make DC Bank, but DC chose to let them have it.

DC may never have as many films out as Marvel, but if we're talking about progressiveness in getting characters out to the public, it's pretty close.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never say never. We don't know what the future holds. If you went 20 years back in time and told someone that Iron Man would be one of the biggest box office draws, they would have responded "Who?" or "They're making a movie based on a Black Sabbath song?"

Yes, WBDC has focused too much on Bats/Supes in their movies. However, that seems to be changing with their current film line up. If SS and WW are successes, WB will finally get over their reluctance to push other DC characters. It sounds crazy now, but WB were not super-confident in Superman on film until Richard Donner showed up or Tim Burton with Batman.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.