Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Who else wishes Marvel would reset like DC did?

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Typhion

I've been a longtime Marvel fan. Never caught up to the curve with DC...until the New 52. Now I gotta admit, I look forward to DC releases more. Why? Because it's been scaled back, and everything that was old is new again. It's GREAT. I'm not lost, and I can wrap my head around it without a comics encyclopedia. Marvel has been ratcheting up the abilities of their characters for a long time now, and they're starting to not even make sense. The plot lines and world/rogues galleries are inseparable anymore. I'm sure DC went through it too, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what the Silver Age was all about if I'm not mistaken.

Any other Marvel fans wish Marvel would quit throwing shiny objects out there and bigger badder baddies, more PIS BS, and return to relate-able characters and decent writing for a change?

That's what made Marvel great, but now I feel like I have to go to DC to get what Marvel used to be good at.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

nope

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Duke_Nasty

I for one agree. I'm relatively new to comics and I like Marvel characters better but DCs New 52 has been really cool and easy to jump on. I like the idea that every title is on the same issue. Some titles like Scarlet Spider that just began should continue.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Typhion

@Duke_Nasty said:

I for one agree. I'm relatively new to comics and I like Marvel characters better but DCs New 52 has been really cool and easy to jump on. I like the idea that every title is on the same issue. Some titles like Scarlet Spider that just began should continue.

Yah that's a plus too. Everyone's at the same stage of character development. Really wish Marvel would get back to basics. I'm saving comics for my son, but since Marvel's such a heap, New 52 is the only series I'm getting 2 of for him, one to read and one to save.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By Deadcool

Marvel resets itself constantly, DC does when they feel they have to.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Typhion

@Deadcool said:

Marvel resets itself constantly, DC does when they feel they have to.

True, but the New 52 seems like a really clean slate, and it was all at once. Marvel has bungled that sort of thing with the Avengers and Spiderman twice in my memory now. They also completely screwed up Thor with one of their "resets."

Guess maybe it all comes down to Marvel actually getting writers who can do the characters justice.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA

despite whats been said thats what marvel NOW is gonna do and that why im dropping marvel lol

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

it would seriously be a breaking point for me....I loved DC before the reboot...I don't think there was any reason for the reboot all of the great stories being told now could have been told in the old universe just fine.....I don't want to offend anyone but I said this in another tread before....new comic readers have it easy...you have sites like ComicVine and with Amazon you have access to any trade you want....if you're having a hard time getting into the current Marvel or were having a hard time getting into the pre Flashpoint DC then you're just being lazy....DC has made it abundantly clear that they really only care about the new readers and have done nothing to try and please the old readers...we invested time in money in the old DC characters and now some of them are pale reflections of their previous selves or in some cases some of our favorite characters no longer even exist....if they want to make it easier for new readers then they should have increased their trade production (which they have) and made it clearer as to what trades and in what order they need to be read to get a clear picture of the character's past....Marvel currently has the advantage in terms of continuity with the fact that they haven't ever rebooted...DC made their universe more difficult to get into with Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, and Infinite Crisis...where as Marvel just slightly tweaks their characters' backstories to make them a little more modern....if they were to reboot completely it would mean the loss of more than 70 years of story...there are tons of readers who have read even longer than I have and I think that would be a serious slap to the face to their long term readers

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blood1991

@danhimself said:

nope

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorgevy

yes, definatally. It's a great jumping point, if done correctly it can solve plot and continuity points etc....

But we'll see what Marvel NOW brings. It could have some of that, but not totally, like New 52 (which was a great move and still seem to be IMO)

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#11  Edited By Deadcool

@Typhion said:

True, but the New 52 seems like a really clean slate, and it was all at once. Marvel has bungled that sort of thing with the Avengers and Spiderman twice in my memory now. They also completely screwed up Thor with one of their "resets."

Guess maybe it all comes down to Marvel actually getting writers who can do the characters justice.

Which one? JMS's? Gillen's? or Fraction's?

Well, twith marvel NOW we wold get new creative team for each comicbook, so lets see what would happen.

@SoA said:

despite whats been said thats what marvel NOW is gonna do and that why im dropping marvel lol

What? No!!! They would relaunch Marvel, is not a reboot, they would just change the creative teams of each book ("on DC that is called Wednesday" Dan Slott), and create a point where anyone could start reading, as I said no reboot.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Madame_Mist

Nope. Marvel has too much great history for it to be erased.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sovereign91001

Sure if its handled well, why not?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @danhimself said:

nope

@danhimself said:

it would seriously be a breaking point for me....

3Blue_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 3Blue_Star

@Duke_Nasty said:

Agree

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Redberry

@Duke_Nasty said:

Preach

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WARLOCK2792

LOL The NEW PEOPLE can hope for this

Us VETS will simply decline

Ain't nothin hot about that idea

Read the Ultimate universe

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

No, I absolutely wish the opposite in fact. DC was trailing Marvel money wise, and so the people who care about money, and hey, money is important don't get me wrong, so I don't begrudge the people who care about money's decisions, but the people who care about money who can influence what happens at DC, decided, you know what? We think one thing that is preventing us from getting more money is accessibility of our product to casual fans and noise and attention. Lets change that by doing this new 52 thing that will make noise and tell lots of people that they can jump right in with number one issues. Side note - lets try do his without actually losing too many fans as well.  

Now for me personally, I don't read comics for ease of getting into or freshness. I like reading comics for quality, and most of my favorite comic books are accessible, are easy to wrap my head around, use continuity and characterization well and have easter eggs for its fans who have read a lot from its character pasts and the books past. Books from writers like PAD and Slott. I am less about perceptions and ore about actualities. A problem presents itself though, in that more and more casual fans and newer audiences in most mediums are getting varied, and so trying to appeal to them with quality is getting harder and harder, and so selling by perceptions is getting easier and easier, and trying to do both is requiring more creativity and more risk.  

For the sake of making a point, a hyper exaggerated example would be that in trying to make more short term profit by appealing to new fans, you could end up with a scenario where all books from either company is rebooted every year @hashtag lulz what u 16 yrold + fans gott irrelevant DC/Marvel books 4 my tablet only nao lulz Superman/Batman concept is that they are reality TV stars who got mad pop on Utube after Beiber tweeted them so much more accessible and fresh and relatable and non convoluted than space planets and dead parents lulz #WTF  #=3 #Your hyper exaggerated example sucks.   

So basically throwing a reboot out there by Marvel would be just throwing out the biggest shiny thing they could. Where as Journey Into Mystery? Thats decent writing. X-Factor? Decent writing. Quite a few books at Marvel have decent writing, and probably why Marvel is attempting to have its cake and eat it too, with Marvel NOW, which is going to try and make as much noise as New 52 while trying to appease as many long term fans who care about continuity as well.          

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThanosIsMad

DC's reboot is a mess. Popular characters were sidelined for those editorial liked. That's not something I want to happen again. Not to mention, DCnU isn't a clean slate. If it was, it would've involved bringing everyone back to the beginning of their careers, which would've been bad for long time readers. Marvel rebooting their main universe would do nothing for long term readers. Marvel's universe is in need of a refresher for sure though. They've had too many events, which messed up the feel of the universe.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#20  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

yes, but only to annoy the Marvel fans :P

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for resets and starting points in comics. Everyone has a fairly good idea what a character is about and that he fights criminals. Back issues are there for a reason. The industry just doesn't know how to incorporate modernism and establish a set standard for characters. Instead, everyone in the Avengers now cracks jokes like Spider-Man because a certain someone is a sorry sad-sack of stupid.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

Marvel's fine as it is. I'm enjoying the DC reboot and buy more DC than Marvel but Marvel doesn't need to copy its rival. Whilst they're insisting Marvel Now! is just a shake up of the Marvel universe, it's still in the same vein as DC's reboot was last year, to change their characters and boost sales of their titles.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
    TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Is it possible to have relatable characters and decent writing without a "reset"?

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NerdsFTW

Not me.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SandMan_

I do

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By daredevil21134

No

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARLOCK2792

If Marvel pulls a DC, I'm dropping the 616 universe.....they won't, but that is my threat for if they do

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Hell no!

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Typhion

@White Mage said:

NEW PEOPLE are what will keep franchises going. If you can't bring people into the fold, this stuff will eventually go away, which would be sad. If Marvel doesn't find a way to ground itself it will continue to pump out mediocre product and die an ugly death. Can't live on movies alone. Eventually the base that makes those movies will go away.

Get off your high horse. You act like you've done something significant with your life by reading comics.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

NEW PEOPLE are what will keep franchises going. If you can't bring people into the fold, this stuff will eventually go away, which would be sad. If Marvel doesn't find a way to ground itself it will continue to pump out mediocre product and die an ugly death. Can't live on movies alone. Eventually the base that makes those movies will go away.

Get off your high horse. You act like you've done something significant with your life by reading comics.

You're right. A company can't live on movies alone........they can however live on movies, cartoons, video games, toy lines, and online gaming. It's not like it will be THAT hard. In fact, I believe they've been doing this since before I was even born.......and they've managed to do just fine. Have I done something special by reading comics? No. I haven't. But the suggestion is as stupid as expecting Grey's Anatomy to go back to season 1 so that we can see alternate universe versions of characters that we've already become attached to. ERASING an entire UNIVERSE'S HISTORY is dumb as hell, because it isolates the fans that are already around, in hopes of MAYBE attracting "extras".

Me and my horsey are just fine. Me and my horsey also assist with wikia's like THIS ONE in order to help new users/outdated readers to actually catch up........Why should WE have to adjust just because other people are late?

This ish is for the birds.....and they don't even want it

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@White Mage said:

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

You're right. A company can't live on movies alone........they can however live on movies, cartoons, video games, toy lines, and online gaming. It's not like it will be THAT hard. In fact, I believe they've been doing this since before I was even born.......and they've managed to do just fine. Have I done something special by reading comics? No. I haven't. But the suggestion is as stupid as expecting Grey's Anatomy to go back to season 1 so that we can see alternate universe versions of characters that we've already become attached to. ERASING an entire UNIVERSE'S HISTORY is dumb as hell, because it isolates the fans that are already around, in hopes of MAYBE attracting "extras".

Me and my horsey are just fine. Me and my horsey also assist with wikia's like THIS ONE in order to help new users/outdated readers to actually catch up........Why should WE have to adjust just because other people are late?

QFT

@White Mage said:

If Marvel pulls a DC, I'm dropping the 616 universe.....they won't, but that is my threat for if they do

QFT x 2!

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Typhion

@White Mage said:

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

Erasing an entire universes history is just fine when it's recent history is a dumpster fire of inconsistency in scale and personality of it's characters without a clear reboot. That's what Marvel has become. I'd agree that Marvel could live in toons and games as well...if they didn't stink at that. The only Marvel game worth the time to look at was X-men legends 1. Cartoons? Well they dropped AEMH of course. They can't keep the X-men on for more than 2 seasons in any incarnation. They flop on spider man animated series about every 3 years. What is Marvel doing that's pushing them to the next generation? Toy's don't mean jack unless there's a story to go behind it, and it doesn't turn back around the other way very well (GI JOE, Battleship, and if you think transformers was good, then you're sharp as a bowling ball.)

They're just capitalizing on the boomers and the children of the 80's.

Why are you attached to a fictitious history, when the universe is so badly mangled? What of value is there to recall now? Additionally, the history is there for those who wish to recall it as it was. Those stories don't go away to those who've read them. You're comparing Marvel to Grey's Anatomy. Lol, try Days of Our Lives. That's the kinda show that allows characters to evolve, devolve, be terribly written and still survive in 12 different incarnations while saying it's all one continuity.

I'm not buyin it. Keeping a broken universe for the sake of a few rabid fanboys' sentiment is dumb as hell. It compromises the value of the product, and alienates people who like good writing, strong back story and larger arcs that don't need escalation of scale to stay interesting. In short, Marvel is losing its smart and eclectic audience. If they can actually hire good writers, who can just ignore the pitiful recent history of the franchise, and get back to basics, then fine, but if they can't, then it's time to reboot.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Blood1991

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

Erasing an entire universes history is just fine when it's recent history is a dumpster fire of inconsistency in scale and personality of it's characters without a clear reboot. That's what Marvel has become. I'd agree that Marvel could live in toons and games as well...if they didn't stink at that. The only Marvel game worth the time to look at was X-men legends 1. Cartoons? Well they dropped AEMH of course. They can't keep the X-men on for more than 2 seasons in any incarnation. They flop on spider man animated series about every 3 years. What is Marvel doing that's pushing them to the next generation? Toy's don't mean jack unless there's a story to go behind it, and it doesn't turn back around the other way very well (GI JOE, Battleship, and if you think transformers was good, then you're sharp as a bowling ball.)

Why are you attached to a fictitious history, when the universe is so badly mangled? What of value is there to recall now? Additionally, the history is there for those who wish to recall it as it was. Those stories don't go away to those who've read them. You're comparing Marvel to Grey's Anatomy. Lol, try Days of Our Lives. That's the kinda show that allows characters to evolve, devolve, be terribly written and still survive in 12 different incarnations while saying it's all one continuity.

I'm not buyin it. Keeping a broken universe for the sake of a few rabid fanboys' sentiment is dumb as hell. It compromises the value of the product, and alienates people who like good writing, strong back story and larger arcs that don't need escalation of scale to stay interesting. In short, Marvel is losing its smart and eclectic audience. If they can actually hire good writers, who can just ignore the pitiful recent history of the franchise, and get back to basics, then fine, but if they can't, then it's time to reboot.

I'm confused as to why you pin pointed this one user when so many of us disagreeded with the concept, but while you make some valid points Marvel has NEVER rebooted it is one of the biggest diffrences between them and DC. I think DC's new 52 has been pretty good, but ask some of the long time DC fans and many aren't happy. In the end I believe it is safer to keep your readers than risk losing them to the "possibility" of new readers. Besides Marvel doesn't have the writers right now imo to make a reboot any better than what they are writing now. Marvel has alot of ideas in store and alot is changing try Marvel Now and if your lost ask someone here or use the CV wiki. I can summarize the last decade of Marvel in a paragraph if you would like.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

@Typhion said:

@White Mage said:

So Marvel should copy DC because YOU don't believe they can fix their storylines? Like I said, The Ultimate universe is welcoming people with open arms if they want a change of scenery. Create ANOTHER universe for characters to start fresh. It isn't that Marvel's storylines flat-out suck. It's that they aren't taking advantage of story material/and characters that have pretty much been handed to them as a result of the many big events that they've had within the last few years. I don't want to sit through Cyclops and Jean AGAIN, I don't want to watch Scarlet Witch start off in the Brotherhood AGAIN, I don't want to go through Madelyne Pryor's creation AGAIN, I don't want to see the X-Men as teenagers AGAIN, I don't want to watch T'Challa become the Black Panther AGAIN, I don't want to have to relearn all of the Marvel God's stories AGAIN, and I don't want Wiccan to stop existing, just so some new person can see a 15 year old Peter Parker use a dizamn IPHONE.

If they move forward, with already established characters, I'm fine. But to erase the main storyline every 15 years so that new people can "Adjust" is just ridiculous...and yet, it's the only possible way that we can keep from repeating the same ish over and over again. Keep the original, and revamp it. If your mind is creative enough to start from scratch, and create HUNDREDS OF STORYLINES (which will inevitably be repeats in some way or another) for HUNDREDS OF CHARACTERS, then it should be creative enough to go through already established material, and create something new and relatable from there, WITHOUT throwing so many years of of hard work and dedication out the window.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#35  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I don't think that Marvel should get a reboot because the way I see it, Marvel just has problems with their continuity, meaning that every time they have a new event, they claim that everything's going to change, but the change from the event only lasts a few months before they go on to the next event and pretend the earlier event never existed.

I think what Marvel really needs to do is try to decide on what events they want to stay in continuity and what events they don't want to stay in continuity.  It seems like Marvel is all over the place when it comes to what stories should remain in continuity and sometimes they forget tiny details in the characters' past that might help the new stories move along a bit smoother.  For example, the whole Phoenix 5 thing in the Avengers vs. X-Men story about how Cyclops, Emma, Colossus, Namor and Magik have all gotten the Phoenix Force and it wasn't clearly explain about whether or not this would contradict with the whole idea that only telepaths can control the Phoenix Force. Emma makes sense since she's a telepath and maybe Cyclops, but the other three didn't make any sense at all.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By Teerack

I hope they never do. If people are new to comics and wanna get into them just pick them up from whatever issue is most recent and go from there. you can go back later. that's what i did. People are just lazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.