Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

When did they reboot Rocket raccoon's backstory?

Angelusalvus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I regretably ended up getting GOTG comics and the Rocket racoon's mini series. The guardians of the galaxy comics showed Rocket already knowing his origins and the new mini series showed him wanting to find it out AGAIN. The GOTG comics are following a "linear" story way back from the beggining, so what gives?

To make myself clear (WARNING SPOILERRRRR):

back when Peter quill "died" when fighting Thanos, Rocket is shown flying back to his homeworld with Groot, meet many people from his past 9imcluding that rabbit what wanted to kill him in that new spin-off series), then the guardians find pete alive again and to prove that the comics still follow the SAME story in the still on going GOTG storyline Gamorra is seeing questiong Starlord about the time he was "dead" with Thanos. Then Rocket, in that same universe, is trying to find out AGAIN about the planet and ends up in a fight with the rabbit (who couldn't even be a bounty hunter because he was the freaking warden of that crazy planet and married to that otter woman).

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sinikettu

Because DNA attempted to retcon Rocket's original backstory to be more in line with 'modern' Marvel in Annihilators and for some reason BOTH Scottie Young and Brian Michael Bendis ignored this attempt; either completely (Bendis) or partially (Young) which is why Rocket's background looks kind of a mess right now... His backstory prior 2011 had nothing that was terribly complicating. This was done atop Keith Giffen (co-creator of Rocket with Bill Mantlo) partially re-inventing Rocket and the whole GOTG-cast in Annihilation: Star-lord.

Rocket's origins are a bit trippy for sure, typical to many of the 60's-70's characters but nothing overly complicated.

Angelusalvus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who's DNA? I don't mind rebooting an origin story when the whole comic is rebooted from scratch. But to retcon durgin an on-going story is donwright stupid and lazy(because they can't lose the mind set of "where the character comes from". They should focus on "where the charcter is going").

And let's mention this other massive plot hole

On one issue of the new Rocket Raccon's comic, Rocket sees the future and he dies figting a beserk groot in a very distant future, while on the very first issue of secret wars, he dies in a very lame way right off the bat.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sinikettu

@angelusalvus: Likely the Secret Wars is going to have some kind of reset eventually and at least some of the 'dead' will be revived in some fashion. Scottie Young was made aware of SW-arch coming up months before, like all Marvel staff, when he wrote the story, to make it SW compliant as possible, so 'the plothole' was probably deliberately done in his part.

DNA = Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning. A writing team who've written comics & novels together for more than twenty years. They parted some 3-4 years ago though they still write novels and comics.

Annihilators & Annihilators Earthfall were two part 4-piece Miniseries in which Rocket and Groot had the smaller half. so they're basically outside GOTG V.2 continuum, happening after the events in Thanos imperative after which the V.2 run was axed.

Angelusalvus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu I know the writers will throw phoenix down on everyone in a few months, but the inconsistences in the story really turns me off when ti comes to continuing buying these comics.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelusalvus: Yeah, it can be really annoying when they're really obvious cases of did-not-do-the-research. I can usually overlook minor mistakes but big ones like this annoy me as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.