Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

thoughts on Diversity in fiction.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i like to give out my thoughts on diversity and how people react to them . eversince spidey was getting a reboot alot of people were suggesting either a black peter or miles morales as their only options and i asked why? they tthink that a black peter should attract audiance when clearly that wouldn't be the case as there would be alot of story potential to peter which fanfic writers thought of better than just making a character black. they even suggested miles to replace peter overall like not just movies but in tv shows. with how far people have taken diversity Miles has become my character i have a love/ hate relationship for. another issue we had is the Iceman coming out as gay storyline which just came out of nowhere. no hint nor any signs of buildup that he was one. just him being gay out of nowhere. alot of people i found on forums were upset about this not because of how it was handled but because of our complaints. no matter how hard we tried to explain ourselves they found it offensive with some people saying it's "realistic", it's "meaningful", etc. even though it's not. then there was the whole Iron ist being white instead of asian rants like they really don't know nor remember that the character has always been white. then there are alot of petitions into giving elsa from Frozen a girlfriend and that givesteverogersaboyfriend(with buckey) and with that one whenever me and everyone else tried to rant about this alot of people got offended no matter how hard we explained ourselves . this got me banned for a bit on CBR and the next one would be a permanent ban they say. i've checked around the forums yesterday and some even complained about not having Northstar instead of Quicksilver like they forget who the character was related to. i would have alot of things to say about them but i can't because i'll get a permanent ban which is also another problem. whenever we have a problem with diversity and how it is handled even how it's ridiculous how people complain about it and how they talk about changing it they really think it's because we've racist and prejudice even though we're obviously not. we're just tired of having the characters changed in the most drastic ways as possible like killing off a character for another character and having that character's entire history and background changed. they use racism as an excuse to overpower us no matter how hard we tried to explain. so i ask you people, are you tired of how diversity is handled and how people respond to you like they're "offended" ?

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By magnetic_eye

I don't have a problem with diversity in fiction if it's handled correctly through proper character development and promoted with care by a genuinely concerned marketing department.

What gets me is that Marvels' print division have the marketing talent to skillfully promote new diverse characters, but they choose not to. Instead they continue to drop bombshells on existing long standing popular characters by either flipping them into something they never were, or we're suddenly inandated with a whole bunch of teen characters taking on the mantle of the original characters.

The other stupid thing is introducing characters like Silk into ASM by writing revisionist crap and fans are just supposed to accept that kind of nonsense.

It's this kind of forced diversity that has really put me off Marvel. I've been reading Marvel books since I was a kid in the mid 70's, but my Marvel pull list is currently down to only two books.

Marvel really led the way in the 60's and 70's creating new characters, even diverse ones. Just a few off the top of my head: ( Black Panther, Falcon, Misty Knight, Storm, Thunderbird, Banshee, Sunfire). I'm sure there may be others but these characters weren't forced down people's throats and they wern't hijacking original characters.

The notion that you have to have all these teen legacy characters running around today is such a fallacy.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MarvelMan92

I don't have a problem with diversity in fiction if it's handled correctly through proper character development and promoted with care by a genuinely concerned marketing department.

What gets me is that Marvels' print division have the marketing talent to skillfully promote new diverse characters, but they choose not to. Instead they continue to drop bombshells on existing long standing popular characters by either flipping them into something they never were, or we're suddenly inandated with a whole bunch of teen characters taking on the mantle of the original characters.

The other stupid thing is introducing characters like Silk into ASM by writing revisionist crap and fans are just supposed to accept that kind of nonsense.

It's this kind of forced diversity that has really put me off Marvel. I've been reading Marvel books since I was a kid in the mid 70's, but my Marvel pull list is currently down to only two books.

Marvel really led the way in the 60's and 70's creating new characters, even diverse ones. Just a few off the top of my head: ( Black Panther, Falcon, Misty Knight, Storm, Thunderbird, Banshee, Sunfire). I'm sure there may be others but these characters weren't forced down people's throats and they wern't hijacking original characters.

The notion that you have to have all these teen legacy characters running around today is such a fallacy.

it's also really annoying how they even replace characters and even kill some of them off for diverse ones like with Riri Williams with Iron Man . and for Iceman regardless if any of you thought he was gay or not(i really don't), the whole reveal was just really stupid and never really builded anything up. i'd be fine with them changing some of the character's sexuality into bisexuals like Rogue, Illyana Rasputin, Kitty Pryde, Carol Danvers, and even Gambit because they actually make sense given their history but others like Captain America, Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Matthew Murdock, Thor, Misty Knight, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Thing, Jessica Drew, Jessica Jones, War Machine, Charles Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, Wolverine, Betty Brant, Bruce Banner, Richard Rider, Starlord, Kamala Khan , etc. gay or bisexual. not even most of who i listed in a new universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.