Should the Ultimate Universe be cancelled?

Avatar image for the_enigma
#1 Posted by The Enigma (1896 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion I no longer see the point in having the Ultimate Universe when the main universe's books are so much better. 


The novelty of the concept has now worn off.

Marvel should instead put more money into main universe books and launch new series: one for each ultimate title.
Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
#2 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

Presumably the ultimate books are selling well and provide an opportunity to tell stories outside of 616 continuity. From Marvel's point of view, those are good things they could lose by cancelling in favour of other (untested) books.

Avatar image for the_enigma
#3 Posted by The Enigma (1896 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Presumably the ultimate books are selling well and provide an opportunity to tell stories outside of 616 continuity. From Marvel's point of view, those are good things they could lose by cancelling in favour of other (untested) books."
But haven't sales in books such as UXM dropped drastically? What I was saying was that it would be better if they dropped a few ultimate books and started new 616 ones: if they dropped UXm they could have a new x-men 616 book.
Avatar image for fesak
#4 Posted by fesak (8591 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no guarantee that the Ult. X-Men readers would follow to a new book if it got canceled.

Moderator
Avatar image for vrakmul
#5 Posted by Vrakmul (23829 posts) - - Show Bio

What i want to see again is marvel doing non Original IP comics again. 

Avatar image for bookman
#6 Posted by Bookman (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore.

Avatar image for bookman
#7 Posted by Bookman (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore.

Avatar image for the_shadow_knight
#8 Posted by The Shadow Knight (178 posts) - - Show Bio
Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."
I thought he was the same age in BND?
Avatar image for zero_edge
#9 Posted by zero edge (3991 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel looks like they're trying to expand the ultimate universe so canceling a book like X-Men is not a good idea. Plus whether the sales increased or declined, every month most or all of the Ultimate books do pretty well.

http://www.comichron.com/MonthlyRankings/Diamond2008/DiamondApril2008/tabid/301/Default.aspx

Avatar image for _obsidian_
#10 Posted by _Obsidian_ (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: No.

Avatar image for _sojourn_
#11 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19706 posts) - - Show Bio

NEVAAAAAA I love the Ultimate Universe, and the Ultimate X-MEN are the best

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
#12 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio
Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey.
Avatar image for zero_edge
#13 Posted by zero edge (3991 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey."
Ultimate Spidey sells almost as much as Amazing so why not keep both eh.
Avatar image for pixelized
#14 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

yahhhh i like the UXM...sometimes...there's no reason to cancel it

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
#15 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio
zero edge said:
"Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey."
Ultimate Spidey sells almost as much as Amazing so why not keep both eh.
"

The sad thing is, Amazing should be thrashing it because it's one of Marvel's flagship books.
Avatar image for bouncing_boy
#16 Posted by Bouncing Boy (23 posts) - - Show Bio

For those of us who aren't actually liking the fact that SI is now in just about every title for the summer, I think the Ultimate Universe is perfect. Besides I love the New Banshee X-men. Angel looks cool as an Eagle.

Avatar image for pixelized
#17 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

SI?

angel is an eagle?

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
#18 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3733 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"

SI?

angel is an eagle?

"

Secret Invasion and I agree, it's nice to have books that aren't thrown into summer crossover season. No idea about the eagle thing.
Avatar image for pixelized
#19 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

oh mkay!

Avatar image for the_shadow_knight
#20 Posted by The Shadow Knight (178 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"oh mkay!"

Augmented mutation triggered by use of ultimate "Banshee" (Mutant Growth Hormone).
Avatar image for bouncing_boy
#21 Posted by Bouncing Boy (23 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"

SI?

angel is an eagle?

"

Avatar image for bouncing_boy
#22 Posted by Bouncing Boy (23 posts) - - Show Bio

In the next issue of Ultimate X-Men you will see Warren mutated into an Eagle after taking the drug Banshee.

Avatar image for airstrike
#23 Posted by Airstrike (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Marvel originally create the Ultimate Universe so young fans could follow a character/title from the beginning and to create a more adult version comic.  The later is a bit of a joke because everyday they try to go further and further in the regular comics than ever before.  I am getting at Ultimate Spider-man started the series from scratch and the Ultimates were the "R" version Avengers, Right?  Now Marvel has went and re-started Spider-man yet, again?

Avatar image for zero_edge
#24 Posted by zero edge (3991 posts) - - Show Bio

Somtimes you gotta go through the bad to get to the good =/

Avatar image for fesak
#25 Posted by fesak (8591 posts) - - Show Bio
Bouncing Boy said:
"In the next issue of Ultimate X-Men you will see Warren mutated into an Eagle after taking the drug Banshee. "

Aw crap. I saw the solicitation image and was hoping that would be Ultimate Beak.
Moderator
Avatar image for phoenixgirl
#26 Posted by PhoenixGirl (322 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the Ultimates. The main universe is so much better,

Avatar image for secret_spider
#27 Posted by Secret-Spider (140 posts) - - Show Bio

NO WAY!!!!! Why would you do that. i have to say that the old ones are better, but they already have so many ultimate comics. They still have a lot to do with them.

Avatar image for korg
#28 Posted by Korg (11351 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan.

Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan."
Agreed. I'm no fan of the Ult U, but from a business standpoint it makes no sense to cancel it.
Avatar image for tevnoba
#30 Posted by Tevnoba (3451 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell Frackin No!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for dmstarz
#31 Posted by dmstarz (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spidey's still pretty good, but I do think the whole thing is becoming increasingly redundant due to the quality of the regular books.

Avatar image for marshall_madness
#32 Posted by Marshall Madness (265 posts) - - Show Bio

I SAY THEE NAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for blazing_eagle
#33 Posted by Blazing Eagle (340 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Korg said:
"The point of having them is that they probably make up a good amount of Marvel's sales over the past 6-8 years. Canceling the whole line would be financially disastrous, and would also alienate fans. All in all, a very bad business plan."
Agreed. I'm no fan of the Ult U, but from a business standpoint it makes no sense to cancel it.
"
I agree with both Gambler and Korg. Also if the Ultimate Line is canceled  like Cosmic Sentinel stated
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Bookman said:
"Perhaps Ultimate Spider-Man should, seeing as they already rebooted Peter to his teenage years, there's not any real point having it anymore."

I only read Ultimate Spider-man and wouldn't switch back to Amazing if they cancelled Ultimate Spidey."

Ultimate fans would not go back to the Main Marvel Universe and they would just choose some smaller company or independent publishers like Top Cow, Image, or even B publisher.etc.

Avatar image for super_buster
#34 Posted by Super-Buster (2567 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all.

Avatar image for ahumancartoon
#35 Posted by ahumancartoon (372 posts) - - Show Bio
Super-Buster said:
"I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all."
Yeah but when they start having the ultimate version of Nick Fury in the 616 version of Iron Man movie enough is enough. I understand what newer readers like you are saying, but can you imagine how confusing this is gonna get for an even newer reader.
Avatar image for apparition
#36 Posted by Apparition (11274 posts) - - Show Bio
ahumancartoon said:
"Super-Buster said:
"I completely disagree with canceling the Ult. U. For some readers like myself, it's what got me into comics. I haven't been around for 60 years and the back-story of the 616 comics are just intimidating. It's awesome to have a universe that I actually know and am growing up. Besides, I like Ult. comics better over-all."
Yeah but when they start having the ultimate version of Nick Fury in the 616 version of Iron Man movie enough is enough. I understand what newer readers like you are saying, but can you imagine how confusing this is gonna get for an even newer reader.
"

yeah everyone else seemed to like that, but i was like, that's not nick fury...
Avatar image for the_superior_sapien
#37 Posted by The_Superior_Sapien (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Ultimates where their fighting Magneto in the Savage Land was awesome. And the art was cool to

Avatar image for thedrifter
#38 Posted by TheDrifter (24811 posts) - - Show Bio

At one point, Ult.Spidey surpassed Spider-man in sales.

I don't see the Ult.U getting canceled anytime soon.

Avatar image for ferro_vida
#39 Posted by Ferro Vida (34318 posts) - - Show Bio
Slight said:
"NEVAAAAAA I love the Ultimate Universe, and the Ultimate X-MEN are the best"
Tevnoba said:
"Hell Frackin No!!!!!!!!!!
"
PREACH ON!
Avatar image for mr__wilson
#40 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6449 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.