Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Provide examples of Marvel tailoring comics to hit movies

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dvader

Hi. I'm a big fan of Marvel comics (Thor, Spiderman, Avengers, etc.), but have been out of the loop for years. This website has been helpful for getting me back to contemporary issues with the state of Marvel comics (the company) and their characters. One complaint that I read from fans is that Marvel has been changing their characters in the comics to fit with the movie writers/director's portrayal of them.

This is, of course, disturbing as the comic books are usually better than the movies, but when I was thinking about it I couldn't think of too many examples of where this is happening. The reason is very simple. I haven't been keeping up with comics for a while now and just started getting back into it.

So I am wondering if the fans here could provide me with some examples because I couldn't find any through an internet search.

The only example I can give is:

1. Nick Fury is white in the comics, but he is black in the movies. Marvel now has Nick Fury as black in the comics. (I am aware that this is actually Nick Fury's son, but it seemed pretty obvious that Marvel made this change because of the popular movies.)

Any others?

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor

@dvader: The ultimate universe is almsot entirely based on the marvel movie universe.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BatWatch

I've heard that Sandman is not somehow connected to Uncle Ben's murder in the comics. Spiderman's costume went Black in order for him to symbolize that he was ready to do darker deeds when Spiderman 3 came out. Captain America came back to life before the movie came out though that is hardly a surprise. Daredevil was drawn on covers to look more like Aflec when Daredevil came out. The Avengers lineup was shuffled to match the movie when Avengers came out. That is all I can think of.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle

The X-Men....

Cerebro and the sub-basement were redesigned in the comics to look like the films version

Magnetos helmet could block telepathy

Xaviers school became more than the X-Mens HQ and actually had a student body like the movies

The X-Men wore black 

Toad was redesigned

Rogues name revealed to be Anna Marie (anna after Anna Paquin and Marie after the name given in the films)

there is more, but thats what I could think of off the top of my head for X-Men..... 

They have been changing numerous things with the Avengers to be inclusive to the films, like Agent Coulson being an actual character, the teams line-ups etc.. 

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @EdwardWindsor said:

@dvader: The ultimate universe is almsot entirely based on the marvel movie universe.

this isn't true
    AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AweSam

@cattlebattle said:

The X-Men.... Cerebro and the sub-basement were redesigned in the comics to look like the films version
    Xaviers school became more than the X-Mens HQ and actually had a student body like the movies
    The X-Men wore black
    Toad was redesigned Rogues name revealed to be Anna Marie (anna after Anna Paquin and Marie after the name given in the films)
    there is more, but thats what I could think of off the top of my head for X-Men.....
    They have been changing numerous things with the Avengers to be inclusive to the films, like Agent Coulson being an actual character, the teams line-ups etc..

That's an awesome list

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cattlebattle said:

The X-Men.... Cerebro and the sub-basement were redesigned in the comics to look like the films version Magnetos helmet could block telepathy Xaviers school became more than the X-Mens HQ and actually had a student body like the movies The X-Men wore black Toad was redesigned Rogues name revealed to be Anna Marie (anna after Anna Paquin and Marie after the name given in the films) there is more, but thats what I could think of off the top of my head for X-Men..... They have been changing numerous things with the Avengers to be inclusive to the films, like Agent Coulson being an actual character, the teams line-ups etc..

Also Marvel started to hate Cyclops like the movie makers did

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @cattlebattle I worded that horribly. The marvel film verse is based on ultimateverse
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

The X-Men.... Cerebro and the sub-basement were redesigned in the comics to look like the films version Magnetos helmet could block telepathy Xaviers school became more than the X-Mens HQ and actually had a student body like the movies The X-Men wore black Toad was redesigned Rogues name revealed to be Anna Marie (anna after Anna Paquin and Marie after the name given in the films) there is more, but thats what I could think of off the top of my head for X-Men..... They have been changing numerous things with the Avengers to be inclusive to the films, like Agent Coulson being an actual character, the teams line-ups etc..

Also Marvel started to hate Cyclops like the movie makers did

LOL....I see what you did there

@EdwardWindsor said:
    @cattlebattle I worded that horribly. The marvel film verse is based on ultimateverse

That isn't even that true either, I am not sure how the Ultimate Universe is handled recently but for the most part there isn't that many similarities, they only have a handful of things in common and the more "realistic" approach.
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daycrawler

@cattlebattle said:

To be honest, of that list, I don't mind that these changes were made (other than the Agent Coulson one). I view them as tweaks prompted by the good bits of the movies. What bothers me is when they horribly shoe-horn a concept/thing from the movie world into the MU such as Nick Fury jr. That's a crock of sh!t right there. Ult MU already has this version of Nick Fury, there was absolutely no need to crap out a version for 616 MU when the original Nick Fury is already bad-ass enough. You really don't need the new version to capitalize on new readers coming in off the back of the movies. It wouldn't have been that confusing to them if they were confronted by that original.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @cattlebattle pretty much every character in the marvel movie verse has elements of 616 and ultimate. For example looks more like ultimate though is slightly more 616 in terms of fight style. Then there is widow and fury to take onboard
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    @EdwardWindsor: Not really that many I can think of honestly....For example the only thing X-Men from the Ultimate verse have in common with the films is the black costumes and the fact that the Phoenix is not a space entity, Spider-Man films have absolutely nothing from the Ultimate U except that the Spider that bit him was genetically altered....not radioactive. FF4, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor all have next to nothing in common with the Ultimate Universe....very small details like costumes or characters maybe...thats it. 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

@PsychoKnights said:

I've heard that Sandman is not somehow connected to Uncle Ben's murder in the comics.

If you meant to say "now" instead of "not", it isn't.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @cattlebattle Xmen ffand spiderman films are prior to the marvel cinema verse and tieing films together anything from ironman 1 onwards is set in that verse. Most of the ones you mentioned are not even marvel cinema they are fox or Sony movies. All the marvel studios films are linked and it's been stated many times that the marvel ciniverse is loosely based on ultimate universe
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By X35

Everything in a Marvel comic book.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @EdwardWindsor said:
    @cattlebattle Xmen ffand spiderman films are prior to the marvel cinema verse and tieing films together anything from ironman 1 onwards is set in that verse. Most of the ones you mentioned are not even marvel cinema they are fox or Sony movies. All the marvel studios films are linked and it's been stated many times that the marvel ciniverse is loosely based on ultimate universe
    The Ultimate comics released in 2000, X-men was the only book that predated its film.....well, they may have stated that the movies are loosely based of the Ultimate books...but other than a few very minor details...there are absolutely no similarities whether if the film was made by Fox, Sony, Marvel or whatever
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @cattlebattle It makes a huge difference what studio published it that's what Iam saying. Spiderman Xmen blade and ff are not marvel studios products and therefore have no ties to the algegged ciniverse. All the marvel studios films post date the realese of ultimate verse
    Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

You watch the Daredevil movie? Remember Bulseye's forehead? In comics was part of his costume, in movie was a tattoo. After the movie this happens in the comic:

No Caption Provided

Why do you think Marvel did this? Because, thanks to the movie, people thought Bullseye had a bulls eye tattoo'd to his forehead instead of a costume so they took the costume away in the comic....oh yea, and made him a crybaby.......(bottom left panel he has a tear in his eye)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @EdwardWindsor: the movies were based on it and that's not been true in a long, long time. They are almost nothing alike these days 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle
    @EdwardWindsor said:
    @cattlebattle It makes a huge difference what studio published it that's what Iam saying. Spiderman Xmen blade and ff are not marvel studios products and therefore have no ties to the algegged ciniverse. All the marvel studios films post date the realese of ultimate verse
     OK....getting a bit derailed.........this has nothing to do with what studio has rights to who and what, the OP asked what comics were reconfigured to be more like the movies, in which you stated the the films borrow a lot from the Ultimate comics or vice versa...which is a misconception I believe

The largest similarity is the the Avengers working with SHEILD and Sam Jackson Fury like the Ultimates did, and Captain Americas.....err......thawing being overseen by SHEILD these factors happened in the Ultimates and were adapted into the movies

All I am saying is other than that I cannot really think of too many details borrowed from the Ultimate Universe or the other way around....I just think people saying how the films borrow from the Ultimate U (which is actually a common opinion) is an overstatement.
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#21  Edited By BatWatch

@InnerVenom123 said:

@PsychoKnights said:

I've heard that Sandman is not somehow connected to Uncle Ben's murder in the comics.

If you meant to say "now" instead of "not", it isn't.

I did. Whoops. I guess I was wrong. I know I heard this somewhere, but I don't even remember where I heard it from. I did find this on wikipedia which coincides with Spiderman 3 being released and involves Uncle Ben and Sandman. I guess you could say Sandman was around when Uncle Ben died. Maybe that is what I heard.

"In the storyline "Sandblasted," in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #17–19 (April-June 2007), Sandman asks Spider-Man to help him redeem his father, who has been charged with and imprisoned for murdering a homeless man. He admits his father was a petty criminal but insists he wouldn't commit murder. Baker also said the victim resembles Peter Parker's Uncle Ben, who had been murdered years before then. Sandman and Spider-Man find the killer, Chameleon 2211. Chameleon 2211 kills Uncle Ben who Hobgoblin 2211 brought from an alternate universe and had been posing as him after that. Thanks to Spider-Man, Floyd Baker is switched with Chameleon 2211 and saved, for which Sandman thanks Spider-Man."

dvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dvader

Thanks for the replies all. I just wanted evidence for this notion that Marvel is adapting their comics to their movies instead of the other way around. I can see there are plenty of examples of that. If there are more I would love to know.

One thing I didn't want to do was to create a "Marvel-is-going-down-the-tubes" thread from this. In all honesty, I do wish Marvel comics stayed true to themselves. I wish they let good writers write their stories without limiting their creativity by having them adhere to what is popular with casual fans who have been watching the movies. It's a cheap way to get casual fans into buying their books, but I digress.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EdwardWindsor

@cattlebattle: it does have a point the marvel studios films have been the major source of the change in the comics. Characters looking more like the actors who appeared in their movies. Spider man for example never had a Toby Macquire lookalike as far as i can remember. But you can see lookalikes of pretty much the entire avengers casts on covers and in certain issues.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Hawkeye's new costume

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Aiden Cross

@cattlebattle said:

I believe this one came from 90's X-Men cartoon. It started to appear a couple of times in comics and the movie used that theory.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.