Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Off My Mind: Should Marvel Relaunch Their Books?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

For months we've all been talking about DC's 'The New 52.' Comic readers thought DC was insane and relaunching their books (even if they don't call it a relaunch) would drive away all the veteran readers. DC has made a huge effort to make all their titles accessible to readers, new and old. They've gone to great lengths to market their books in other markets, including television commericials. With new creative teams, some characters have gone through pretty big changes while others remained untouched.

We still have one more week of new #1 books from DC and we'll all be keeping a close eye on the sales of the books over the next few months but their plan is working so far. There are some readers that aren't happy with the changes but we have been seeing many comments from new readers thrilled to be able to jump into the new titles. The books are reaching record sales (compared to what they've been the past few years) and many titles have had multiple printings. Everyone is talking about the new books.

No Caption Provided

Marvel has held the top spot in comics for some time now. While continuity in any comic universe can sometimes called into question, we always hear new readers wondering where they should start reading a long-running book in order to understand everything. Jumping in and using the Comic Vine database can help but there's still readers hesitant to read issues that have decades of history. Would it make sense for Marvel to relaunch their characters as well?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The first response might be that they already have done this. We have had the Ultimate Universe since 2000. These books did offer new beginnings and interpretations on the characters but wasn't a complete 'do over' like DC's current plan. The Ultimate Universe has been a mix of re-inventing the characters but sometimes feels characters undergo extreme changes just to make them different.

Those of us that have been reading, even if it's been a short time, would beg for this not to happen. We do not want to see years of continuity possibly tossed out the window. But it doesn't have to be a bad thing. We're seeing the Batman and Green Lantern books continuing pretty much as they were. Superman, Supergirl and Superboy have had some tweaks. Then we have characters like Green Arrow and Starfire experience more noticeable changes.

Marvel comics began in the late 1930s but the true Marvel Age really started with Fantastic Four #1 in 1961. One of the differences between Marvel and DC is Marvel really hasn't gone through changes in their continuity. DC characters went through the Golden and Silver Age with those stories not really holding in the recent continuity (things got pretty weird from time to time). There was also Crisis On Infinite Earths and other events that gave a soft reset to the continuity, giving readers a fresher starting point. Marvel hasn't had one of those, besides Heroes Reborn (which was reverted back after one year) and Brand New Day with Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided

If Marvel were to try to relaunch all their books, there would be an outcry. There would be obvious comparisons to DC but if it gave them attention and brought them new readers, would it really matter? Marvel and DC have, on several occasions recently, had similar event stories coinciding at the same time. If the comic market is changing and if people do want a fresh start, it doesn't matter who came up with the idea.

No Caption Provided

Is starting over the answer? Didn't Giant-SIze X-Men sort of relaunch the X-Men franchise? Again, the verdict is still out on DC's 'The New 52.' Forbes.com feels that DC is making the right decision. Some new life has been breathed into the books. There is a sense of excitement as we wonder how our favorite characters will change or stay the same. We've all heard how the state of comics hasn't been too great lately. With people pirating comics, it appears on paper that there is a low number of readers. 'The New 52' has brought in some new readers and had older readers return to DC Comics. How would Marvel approach a reboot? Would they start back with younger versions of the characters or have them in their current states with less history for us to worry about?

It was CV member bingbangboom that asked me what I thought about Marvel doing this. I don't think relaunching or rebooting is necessary. I will admit I am surprisingly enjoying some of the titles/characters that have gone through changes. At the end of the day, these are comic book characters. The stories are meant to be fun. I do not want to potentially see decades of continuity erased or ignored but we already know that every single moment in comic book history matters. I've said on several occasions that I was not happy with the decision to reboot some of Spider-Man's history but you know what? I am still enjoying the current Spider-Man stories. My vote would be for Marvel not to relaunch. I understand there are benefits and it could attract new readers. We do need more people reading comics in order for the industry to thrive. I would rather see another approach. 'The New 52' is working so far but it would be nice to still have some familiar territory, even if it's with another publisher.

Marvel and DC Comics are both great in their own ways. The focus should be on simply telling great stories. There are many outstanding independent titles that don't go for the flashy bells and whistles parade in order to sell their books. Then again, we also have to think about why Marvel and DC are at the top of the sales charts. Just give us really great stories that will appeal to everyone. Readers can jump into comics with long-standing histories. It's what most us have done. It's up to each individual issue to win over the new reader while still keeping the older reader engaged.

Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Man of Lengend

Honestly, I Do Not want them to reboot. Marvel stays fresh, and can stand on its own stories(even if some are hit and miss). Characters change all the time in Marvel, where DC really did need to Reboot to stay relevant for todays reader.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b749253880e5
    deactivated-5b749253880e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Other than One More Day and Heroes Reborn (by the same editorial staff bringing the reboot of DC Comics), there never really has been a relaunch of the Marvel characters in the mainstream continuity (they all stick to the myth from the inception of the characters, unlike Superman and most of DC's characters.

I assure you, Forbes has no idea about the comic biz, this has been seen before (many times, I might add), sales will be high for a couple of months, then they will drop dramatically (once the speculators stop buying the books) and the core fans will be the ones buying, as per usual (with reserves though, most of the line is mediocre at best). The biz will NEVER be like in the Golden Age, as publisher fantasize about, and just like every single other medium, like music, it has to adapt to today's world, the internet paradigm has changed the game for good, and they are not using it to their advantage. PEOPLE TODAY DON'T LIKE TO READ ANYTHING AT ALL!!! Let alone comics (which studies show, are among the top-selling reading material today). They should concentrate exclusively in delivering the best possible stories, and like every other art form, find it's status-quo, I mean, how mainstream is the Opera or paintings?

Most people today aren't smart enough to get what comic books are about, really, why worry about them at all? Just make the best stories you can, that way the people that puts the food in the table won't stop consuming your product, and the kids really interested in getting into comics have a reason to stay, not just lose interest after a couple of derivative stories by Geoff Johns...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

Oh, and INB4 the inevitable "Their STAFF needs a relaunch" posts. Because we all know it's coming.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Marvel already are relaunching all their titles...  The difference is that they're doing it one title at a time instead of all in one go.  It's how I pretty much predicted that they were going to replace Uncanny X-Men with Uncanny X-Men

Relaunches are a sign of desperation.  The next step will be to wait a year of two (maybe not even that long) before they renumber everything to bump up sales (like how X-Factor went from #50 to #200).

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

No.

Plus let's wait for a few more months yet before saying that the DC Reboot was a success.

knot666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By knot666

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ulviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ulviar

@Man of Lengend said:

Honestly, I Do Not want them to reboot. Marvel stays fresh, and can stand on its own stories(even if some are hit and miss). Characters change all the time in Marvel, where DC really did need to Reboot to stay relevant for todays reader.

I couldn't say better.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

I don't think lightning can strike twice. How about start a 3rd universe and start over again, again? Or just reboot all the the Ultimate Universe and start that over again. But more then just the new #1s, since those are not starting things over really. Nor was the relaunch of the Ultimate universe with all the new number ones, they still keep all the stuff that happened in Ultimatum. Start it with Miles being Spider-Man from the start.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By leokearon

They have already done it to a degree 

relauncing Avengers and new Avengers at the start of the Heroic Age 
    The Future Foundation 
    Spiderman's Brand New Day 
    The whole X-Men regenesis  

The only difference is that DC did it all at once

maelevikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maelevikus

Yes Reboot Marvel PLEASE. The Marvel train has gone off the track and everyone is clinging to it's history but in the end the stories are either rehashed or they're getting darker and destructive because at some point there has to be an end to a story. It would benefit the company in so many ways to reboot the the entire productline. Make it easier simplified less characters. We don't need several different Hulks, Thors, Captain Americas, Woverines and so on.We don't need for every male character a female counterpart. What we need is an established diverse order of characters that offer enough by themselves. And we don't need every half year a crossover event. Keep things separate. Do a total reboot not just productline but the company as well. Have Disney pull the stings a bit more let someone else run the company for a while. Let those who need to be let go free to leave and do other stuff.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By JonesDeini

To keep it short hells the frak nah, folk!!! And as another has already said, let's give it a good 6 months to a year before we call this DCU reboot a success. #1's always sale well, but eventually sales taper off. I'd honestly be shocked if more than half these books make it half a year and that includes books I LOVE and think are great.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eyz

@maelevikus said:

Yes Reboot Marvel PLEASE. The Marvel train has gone off the track and everyone is clinging to it's history but in the end the stories are either rehashed or they're getting darker and destructive because at some point there has to be an end to a story. It would benefit the company in so many ways to reboot the the entire productline. Make it easier simplified less characters. We don't need several different Hulks, Thors, Captain Americas, Woverines and so on.We don't need for every male character a female counterpart. What we need is an established diverse order of characters that offer enough by themselves. And we don't need every half year a crossover event. Keep things separate. Do a total reboot not just productline but the company as well. Have Disney pull the stings a bit more let someone else run the company for a while. Let those who need to be let go free to leave and do other stuff.

^This!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

@maelevikus said:

Makes a good point.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#14  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Don't give them any ideas, Marvel doesn't need to do anything drastic like DC did cause they already have the Ultimate universe which was created to appeal to a new generation of readers and give older characters new tweaks to make them appeal to newer readers without disturbing the main Marvel universe, whenever the Ultimate universe gets dicey and they creatively box themselves in a corner or sales go down they just shake it like an etch-a-sketch and start over again so they can maximize new readership and minimize older readership loss, it really is the perfect setup.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By EdwardWindsor

A reboot is uneeded in my view. But as KItty said most of the main titles are in transition phases right now anywyas so they are kind of starting again anyways.

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rogue_mar1e

They don't need to, but if they do they should get FTBB to write it. xP

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Silkcuts

It will happen, with DC's masters at Warner happy when they see the Spike in this Quarter, Marvel will do the same.

ninjacommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjacommando

Yes! dooooo itttt! but not so soon, funds are still diminished.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, why not take away much of the continuity and punish the readers who loyally supported them for years, only to pander to people they've never seen before, temporarily boosting sales? k That's my extreme/negative answer. (With possibly a hint of truth.)

Okay, the doctors are telling me that I need to calm down. *takes meds* My balanced/diplomatic answer is one that has already been mentioned a couple of times: Marvel already "revamps" their series', little by little, instead of all at once. They constantly change things here and there, which is less harsh a way of doing things.

Change is needed now and then; I suppose I prefer a more gradual approach.

Supermanwalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supermanwalker

I think they need a relaunch to be honest. Because I don't feel they are as fresh as they were a few years ago it is now starting to wane in my opinion. I mean they throw out big events one after the other just so they can basically sell comic books. And I love Marvel comics I have every single one of those events.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cmaprice

No reboots. They just need some fresh directions for the future. You can change the trajectory of characters without negating their history. It's simple. Stop going back to the status quo after every other "epic" crossover. I don't get this "all or nothing" attitude.

Also, from a business perspective, they shouldn't jump the gun. Let's see how long the New 52 sells and keeps its stories/readership fresh. Part of me feels DC runs a real risk of pulling an Ultimate Marvel. Strong start, followed by the same exact problems forming that they were trying to escape with a relaunch and forcing them to wipe it clean and start over (again)

Speaking of Ultimate Marvel, it's a big advantage marvel has in this department. They have a huge alternate continuity where they can experiment any way they like without damaging their flagship titles if they screw up.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By DMC

Marvel Reboot? Hell no.

If Steve Rogers ever changes into what some of these modern takes on the DC character are like thus far, then I might have to quit reading comics altogether

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Loki9876

no don't do the reboot

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ahgunsillyo
    XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!
    XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!

Sure, why not. The last time Marvel rebooted their entire universe, Iron Man got all sinewy, so if that's what results from another reboot, then clearly, that's the right way to go. Right?

In all seriousness, I personally would probably be alright with a Marvel Universe reboot. If it simplifies the universe and the characters, I'd probably be all for that. To be honest, part of me is yearning for a more classic approach to the X-Men with a smaller unified team that is clearly good and heroic, as opposed to all this splintering into 7 different X-Men books where each team has eight to a dozen members and each of them are all slightly dickish because they're a dying race living on an island and whatever. This is partially why I'm actually pretty excited for that X-Men: Season One graphic novel (aside from the fact that Jamie McKelvie's art looks pretty fantastic); it's classic X-Men led by Xavier. That, and I'd really like for Jean Grey alive and on the team again, and for writers to not be pushing that "Scott Summers is a rampant asshole" angle so aggressively.

Secondly, and a reboot probably wouldn't change this one bit, but I'd be completely game for a reboot if it meant that Marvel would calm the hell down with all the big "Events." Right now, we have Fear Itself, Spider-Island, and X-Men: Schism running concurrently, and they pretty much all share characters (at least, Wolverine is in every single one of those). It's getting to the point where I have no idea how all these large-scale, catastrophic, world-destroying events are supposed to line up, and I'm really getting exhausted with the saturation. I was originally pretty excited for Fear Itself, but after following the main story month after month, I kind of lost track of where it's actually going. So... the Avengers and the rest of the good guys lose and lose and lose and lose for 6 straight issues... and then Iron Man shows up in the last issue with a bunch of technomagical weapons and then they sort of win in the end? But then that leads into the new status quo, which will lead into next year's event, which will lead into the new status quo... For once, I'd like to see Marvel make a good ending to one of their "Events" and have the resulting status quo stick for longer than a year.

Finally, if a reboot gets rid of that ugly, nasty Gwen Stacy & Norman Osborn sex/pregnancy/children storyline, then PLEASE, for the love of God, REBOOT! Though, somebody in charge over there obviously is in love with that particular bit of "history," because they wanted to keep that after One More Day.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By labarith

I think DC lucked into having fanatical readers who, although they hate the reboot, are too loyal/obsessed to stop buying DC comics. I've seen a dozen reviews by people who are picking up most of the DC reboot - and complain about most of it.

I think a new campaign to bring in new readers for Marvel would be a good idea. ".1" is a nice go, but these stand alone stories are sometimes placed in the middle of a multiparter, negating thier numbering and their liklihood of bringing in new readers.

I sort of like what Marvel is thinking of doing with the "Season One" stuff - but hate that it's in graphic novel form (and that there is some question as to it's canon).

Perhaps the best idea would be to have some publishing event: A full month of all and only special issue comics, priced at like .99 (promotion) that have a self-contained story - not in the middle of any in-continuity event, a real jumping on point. IE, if you go to the store in March 2012 (or whatever), you could literally pick up any issue of Marvel comics for $1, read a good, stand alone story... perhaps one with a few cliffhangers to set up the next few arcs... and then you can keep reading the ones you like. Because it's a stand alone issue, it can devote a good deal of time to exposition - some narrator telling you "This is X-Factor investigations... I, villain of this issue, hate them" - throw in some bios, perhaps some collector's cards or something. Such an event would need a LOT of planning, and would need to make sure to "bump" miniseries that month, either plan all miniseries to end around that time, or just have a "miniseries free month"...

Perhaps debut a few new ongoing series about established, fun teams - Runaways, Young Avengers, Young X-men,,, a series of new #1s, telling you the status quo without you needing to know history, seems like a good way to get readers in. But rebooting? Ah, hells no. Marvel's readers aren't stupid.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

Well...NO!!!We all know what will Marvel do when they reboot their stuff,make them worse than before.So,no thanks!

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By DH69

Yes, i don't even read DC and i think a reboot is a great idea for them, but honestly if it came down to a reboot or less events being crammed down my throat i'd pick less events.

TOMBSTONE999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TOMBSTONE999

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KainScion

FORBES CAN KISS MY ....!!!!

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By GBrutality

here's the thing about comics that's really terrible to say, but is sort of true: they're kind of a dying breed. i've been reading comics ever since i was a little kid, mainly because my older brother read comics and got me into them early on. always been a marvel guy, but batman (family and rogues included) i personally think is one of the best franchises period. growing up it never made sense to me that almost none of my friends were reading comics; it just was never their thing. comics are stories that are out-there and really great for people that appreciate them. hopefully digital media (and i hate digital books) can help them in some form. comics though are stories with NO ending. even when one does have an ending, if the company or creator feel the need to drudge it up, they can just make a volume 2 or so on. they have new sales right now, sure. they also probably have sales when a new comic movie comes out. those sales don't stay though above the usual numbers because of a few facts. those being that comics are not as cheap as they once were for roughly 23 pages not including ads, they are time consuming because you are now a collector, and comic shops are really hard to find in a lot of areas (especially with so many book stores even going out of business). comics will always be, until they end, for the die hard fans. i think what DC did was interesting, but it won't necessarily last past the first several months.

marvel should not because it'd just be too much. they have never had a real reboot other than brand new day, and spider-man wasn't looking too good until The Gauntlet there for a while. they'd be restarting from forever ago which wouldn't go that well. what the industry needs is more writers similar to the likes of Snyder who gives life into books that makes it always feel like such a thrill to read. or the humor and companionship that Simone can bring into the fray. i've always liked how Bendis can write dialogue and make everything very natural, almost like he is having that conversation himself with a person. Kirkman never seems to run out of ideas with any of his books, they all just sort of flow. something that'd help would be to flat out stop having the world blow up every couple of weeks in comic-land and cut down on the series that don't need to be there and just have those characters be left on the back-burner to be used whenever. the reboot was needed for DC because other than batman and green lantern, the whole line was looking terrible. especially when superman has gotten so invincible that the only way to beat him every time is with kryptonite.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Om1kron

@TOMBSTONE999 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

x forever.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NXH

Marvel is always relaunching or renumbering their books. Most of their books can't even reach double digits before they the relaunch them.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KainScion

@Om1kron said:

@TOMBSTONE999 said:

x forever.

X INFINITY GAUNTLET

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Well the Ultimate Universe just had a relaunch and the 616 needs to do something because a conveyor belt of crap events just doesn't cut it

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Michiel76

Well i said what i thought weeks ago in the forums on a thread that was basically the same, but i still like to comment.

I'm over 35 and have been reading marvel since i was 12 years old, i have yearned for a MCU reboot for years now. Basically because the best marvel stories for me happend in the previous century. So what if this means a lot of history gets thrown out the window, they are just stories, a lot of readers will never have read the good stories (1980's 1990's) anyway and probably never will. And if history consist of mostly bad stories and stupid decisions than why not erase it?

Marvel's continuity is a mess right now, it's hold together by stupid decisions and mistakes and they are unwilling to do anything about it, not listening to the fans. Wolverine is on every team cause aparently marvel thinks this is the way to ensure sales instead on focusing on telling great stories. Every year they have to have a mayor event across all books so you have to buy every single one to keep up. Apparently they are unable to create fresh characters and therefore they just copy the same over and over. x-23, daken, spider-girl, redhulk, bluehulk, orangehulk, hulkwoman etc. etc. etc. ugh

Brand new day tells me that Marvel knows they have to do something before it all collapses in on itself. Only they did it stupidly. So why not reboot the whole thing and erase every stupid decision ever made and just create a new continuity that contains all the good stories from the past and therefore create a good base from where to continue.

Think about it, Peter doesn't have to be married in a reboot, but he and MJ could start dating again (which they can't at the moment because of brand new day) they could even bring Gwen Stacy back (she's still his true love imo) and i would be able to look at her again without thinking what went on between her and Norman.

And Jean Grey could be alive without the whole phoenix powers thing (although the early stories where great) and not have this death hanging over her all the time.

Yes i care about the characters this is why i've never stopped reading the books, but i hate what's going on at the moment and i care even more about great stories being told.

I'm enjoying DC's reboot right now, since i've never read any of their comics and it feels fresh and exiting, will it last? we'll have to wait and see, but i wish marvel felt fresh and exciting for once cause that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

just my opinion

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#38  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Have you noticed that the people that really hate the reboot are the same ones that hate digital comic books?

Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Arevish

Yes, they should. Kitty was 17 years old in the '70, how can she still be so young?

I want Peter back marryed with MJ

They don't have so erase theyr continuity (Like BND -.-) They need to clean it.

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should. BUT. Without those like dan slott, garth ennis, matt fraction and bendis and with people like J. Hickman, Mark Waid, Jim Starlin, Karl Kesel. And with me.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Adnan

A price drop would be sufficient enough I think. I heard Marvel already renumbered their books a lot though? (not the same thing, I know, but if it's true, it'd dampen the effect of the reboot...that's a good and a bad thing)

johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By johnnie619

@Man of Lengend said:

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By kagato

I was actually thinking the very same thing last week when reading through my latest 52s, Marvel have been launching various issue 1s in the Ultimate universe this month anyway, but i don't know that they need to completely reboot. Id like to see more of an emphasis on covers that tell you when a new story arc starts, like i don't mind that its issue 532, but ive noticed on X Force they will put "part 1 of ...... saga" on all of their issues now which is why i started collecting them. They also did this with Spider Island to a lesser extent which was a pleasant suprise.

There is something quite daunting about picking up a random issue of a comic and finding your way knee deep in a story that started a number of issues ago. I did this with Deadpool a while back and i was lucky enough to be able to get the issues that connected to the arc thanks to my local comic book store, but you cant help but feel anxious when looking for that ideal jumping on point.

It should be said though, DC took a huge gamble with the 52s and it paid off, there is no guarantee the same thing would work for Marvel, and it may actually put a lot of people off. There will be people buying the 52s at this time who then decided to pick up some Marvel stuff and it really helps people (especially younger kids) know that they are starting at part 1 of a series and that this is a good time to start collecting it.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ssejllenrad

I think their Ultimate Universe was reboot enough for me. :D

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chris2KLee

Nah, Marvel has been doing a sliding timeline for years, so doing a hard reset seems pointless. In fact, I'd prefer if Marvel cut back on their big crossover events if possible, and reboot would probably be a year long wind up I would rather not have.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By GothamRed

Has marvel really EVER rebooted any of their franchises? I mean they have retconned some stuff over the years, but for the most part all the characters and the situations they went through since their creation are all still canon events. DC can relaunch because they're already known for doing it, they've done it multiple times starting in Crisis on Infinite Earth's. The closest Marvel ever got to rebooting was the creation of the Ultimate universe, which probably needs to be relaunch more than the mainstream-verse even if the stories have improved a bit, and wasn't that enough to get more readers when they launched that? So no I don't think Marvel should reboot it's core books, they just need something in-universe that would allow them to keep all of the character's histories and personalities until today, but freshen the books up a bit, without DC new confusing "Did this happen or not?" or "How did this all still happen in a few years?" things that the relaunched has caused a lot of? Not bashing DC, I just don't think Marvel should start doing now what they never did before anyway.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By chalkshark

First of all... & I've said this before... it's way too early to call DC's relaunch a success. Yes, the first issues have posted huge sales numbers. Good for DC Comics. When the second issue does the same... then the third... then the fourteenth... then the fiftieth... then we can talk about success. One successful issue in a title's run is meaningless, especially when it's the first issue. Speculators buy up first issues with an eye towards making a quick buck on the resale. People buy the first issue, decide they don't care for it, & never pick the title up again. I'd really like to see people stop crowing about how great DC's initiative is, until we find out how great it actually is, in the long run.

Marvel doesn't need a line wide relaunch. They already have an Ultimate line. One could easily make an argument that Marvel has, in a rather subtle fashion, already done that. Spider Man: One More Day completely changed the status quo of the character. Bendis did the same thing with the Avengers, jettisoning everything about them, except for Captain America & Iron Man, to build a new series. House of M completely reset the paradigm for all of Marvel's X-Men titles. Mark Waid's current run, on Daredevil, is a huge departure from how the character has been presented for the past two decades.

Marvel has consistently made sweeping changes to their line of books that felt very organic, while still incorporating previously established continuity. This continually creates a fresh landscape for new readers to step into, while also serving to not alienate the loyal readers that already purchase their books, on a monthly basis. DC, for whatever reason, has traditionally thrown the baby out with the bath water, each time they've reset their titles. Which would be acceptable, if their editorial department held fast to the change & didn't allow popular writers to undo the new status quo because they were bigger fans of the previous continuity.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

No reboot, but I would like to see a more organized universe, with ONE avengers squad, fix the Peter MJ mess, intergrate he mutants into the main MU a bit more, I would rather see that then rebooting the Fantastic Four

jondotg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jondotg

I have to say, Marvel is doing things right.

As a kid I would ride my bike to the comic book store and pick up a random comic here and there, but never had the money to read them each month. I stuck to the tv shows.

Now that I am older and have the money to actually read them, I never have. It always seemed like "why even try, the stories are already decades in, and I cannot possibly catch up."

When I heard that DC was relaunching their titles, I thought "what better time than now to get started with comics? I have never read DC before, but when do you really get to start at #1?" So I went and picked up a few. Then the local owner told me that the X-men (my favorites) was going to be restarted with new teams soon and that I could get in on it now and that way I wouldn't miss anything.

I went from 50 random comics from the 90's, to 100+ and 10 current subscriptions.

DC did something right, but I don't want Marvel to change a thing. I have never followed any DC characters, but I like them. I don't want Marvel to change ANY storylines because they are already just amazing.

msavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By msavo

I would like a Marvel reboot but that is because I am brand new comics. Literally my first comic purchase ever was Batman #1 of the New 52. Overall I've bought 5 books from the New 52 and will buy more as the price starts to drop on the digital store.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.