Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Massive Changes that unwittingly destroy

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baron_BJ

Warning, There will be spoilers, but if they're relatively recent they'll be prefaced with spoiler warnings.

As I was sorting through some of my comics I came across my section where I store my current ongoing Ultimate Marvel titles (I've purchased the first print of every Ultimate Marvel title, I love it, despite some of its more glaring flaws) and it got me thinking about the Death of Spider-Man story and the subsequent "Fallout: Spider-Man No More" Mini-series and how at the very end it showed Spider-Man and all the heroes who died during Ultimatum (speaking of flaws...) in Valhalla; they'd proven themselves true heroes and got to experience the rewards of being one. After which I reclalled the first story arc in the new Ultimates book (#1-4) where *SPOILERS* Valhalla is destroyed entirely and by extension the souls of Spider-Man and all the other dead heroes *SPOILERS*.

What the hell?! This took away one of the bright sides of Spider-Man's death and the only thing that even remotely redeems the characters lost during Ultimatum, and subsequently that little plot point also showed that the Norse afterlife was a real thing in the Ultimate Marvel Universe (No such thing SEEMS to have been stated regarding it in the main Marvel Universe and up until that note at the end of Fallout no confirmation or denial had been given either way in the Ultimate Universe), meaning that the entire afterlife has been destroyed, along with the souls in them. What happens to dead souls in the Ultimate Universe now?

That's my story about a Big Change that completely ruined other things in the Marvel Comics, what's yours? Many will only show up if you stop and think about them for a while (seeing as how the Ultimates writer didn't take Fallout it into account before writing his story for example, which is a shame because his stuff so far seems to be fairly good), but there's going to be more stories like mine out there, there always is.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By KainScion

i dont think the afterlife was destroyed. anyway heroes in valhala? that was the stupidest part of the series. why would earth heroes go to valhala?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Rumble Man

@KainScion: would you prefer judeo christian heaven?

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KainScion

@Rumble Man said:

@KainScion: would you prefer judeo christian heaven?

i would have preffered no showing of them in heaven, any heaven at all. ultimate universe is known for being a bit more realistic than 616, no comebacks from the dead. it was stupid to show that. they didnt die for asgard, peter died fighting the goblin, the x-men died fighting magneto. stupid, just to give thor a line.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Rumble Man

@KainScion: coming back from the dead is not that farfetched when there are characters who can resurrect others in the same universe

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KainScion

@Rumble Man: ult universe used to be 'no coming back from the dead'. but if you've read ult x-men (it is really good) but they kinda said fu*k you to that rule. still back to the topic of the thread: the panel was stupid and pointless, just to squeeze in some thor dialogue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.