Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Begins New "Special Character Policy" For Creators

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

It's always a sticky situation when creators come up with a new character for a major publisher.  It's pretty much known going in that any new characters will immediately belong to the publisher.  Creators could save their creations for their own personal projects but then they won't be able to interact with a huge established universe.  Having your creation go on to become popular could be enough of a reward but let's be honest.  If you created a hero that ends up being so popular they start appearing on cartoons or movies, you'd want a little more than just that warm feeling inside.

Bleeding Cool mentioned that Marvel has contacted "almost all their comic book creators over the last decade or so" to inform them about a new "Special Character Policy."  Apparently in the e-mail that went out, the policy states "for certain uses of a character, provides some additional compensation, above and beyond what you've already received."  The creator simply has to tell Marvel what character they created and their first appearance along with anyone else that worked on creating the character and a Special Character Committee will determine if the creator is eligible.  If the character appears in a movie, game, etc, the creator could get some extra money.

The creator will then have to sign another Special Character Agreement contract.  The details of this are not clear and it might give full ownership to Marvel.  Now that Marvel is owned by Disney, it seems they want to make sure they avoid any lawsuits in the future.  DC has been dealing with paying creators for some of the recent Batman movies.

This almost seems like a no-brainer.  I would be curious to see what specifically the "new" policy requires them to do or relinquish.  I'm also wondering what would happen if a creator doesn't agree to these terms.  Would that circumstance have to go to the courts?  How much ownership should a creator have?  Should they give up some rights just to have their creations part of an established universe?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

This sounds simplistic to the point of ridiculousness.  I can just see comic writers googling & searching CV for the first appearances of their characters in order to claim royalties ;) 

Still, I genuinely am glad that Marvel are going to show recognition to their creators.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Moomin123
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "This sounds simplistic to the point of ridiculousness.  I can just see comic writers googling & searching CV for the first appearances of their characters in order to claim royalties ;)  Still, I genuinely am glad that Marvel are going to show recognition to their creators. "

Exactly.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By jamesewelch

I think it's a good idea to have an updated policy. I'm sure that when these creators first introduced their characters, they didn't consider digital comics, movies, dvds, etc. The music industry has been updating their contracts over the last decade to include royalties on digital downloads, it just makes sense to the comic industry to finally update their contracts.

Also, don't forget about the Hero Initiative. This charity also helps those creators with medical bills and such. (bronze member here). 

I'm thinking that this is a good idea for Marvel since the Disney buy-out is in progress. This will help them get their legal affairs in order prior to the buy-out.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

What is going to happen to all the new characters. Franken Castle, Red she-hulk, Red hulk, The Dark Avengers and everyone else? 

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

I though all this was a given when it came to creators.... 

Well they're covering their bases.... 

@SUPER-MAN 23 said:

"What is going to happen to all the new characters. Franken Castle, Red she-hulk, Red hulk, The Dark Avengers and everyone else?  "

I guess Disney owns them.

Avatar image for ravaginghamster
    RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RavagingHamster

youd think they would have been doing that from the beginning o.O

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    " What is going to happen to all the new characters. Franken Castle, Red she-hulk, Red hulk, The Dark Avengers and everyone else?  "
    Comics aren't an instant production.  They're solicited 3 months in advance, so they must be prepared even more months in advance of that.  So any new characters introduced now (i.e. Red She-Hulk) aren't actually 'new', but have been thought about for the best part of a year.  That means that they are still part of this new policy. 

As for any new characters that are created after the Disney buyout is completed...?  My best guess is that they'll keep a record of those new characters and keep track of their appearances for royalties, etc.
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By jamesewelch
    @sora_thekey: Unless, I'm mistaken the buy-out hasn't completely went through yet. It normally takes a while. It took almost a year from when it was announced for my publicly traded company to finish being bought out by another publicly traded company. I'm assuming that the newer characters are already under an updated policy. 

@SUPER-MAN 23:  Also, I think FrankenCastle would still count as Frank Castle and the variant Hulks would be more of a derivative work than something original, so there might be sub-clauses for that. The Dark Avengers would be counted individually by the original characters and probably not as a team.
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Suigetsu

hey, did campbell made that pick?

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Namor1987
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "This sounds simplistic to the point of ridiculousness.  I can just see comic writers googling & searching CV for the first appearances of their characters in order to claim royalties ;)  Still, I genuinely am glad that Marvel are going to show recognition to their creators. "

Not really ridiculous but they want to make sure everyone is getting their share becaue what would happen if for instance Bendis got credit for Spiderman instead of Stan Lee or Yost for Kitty Pryde instead of Claremont? They just want the creators to get paid for their creations & make sure they get a good cut of their money & not just the company come & vaccuum it all up
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck
    I always thought that there was an understanding that if you did create a character, Marvel would automatically own them.  Something the creators knew going in.  I could be wrong.

@Suigetsu: Yes. Campbell did that awesome image.
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Namor1987
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    "What is going to happen to all the new characters. Franken Castle, Red she-hulk, Red hulk, The Dark Avengers and everyone else?  "

They fill out the paperwork or documentation neccessary saying that they created them & 1st appearance lol
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Namor1987
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    " What is going to happen to all the new characters. Franken Castle, Red she-hulk, Red hulk, The Dark Avengers and everyone else?  "
    Comics aren't an instant production.  They're solicited 3 months in advance, so they must be prepared even more months in advance of that.  So any new characters introduced now (i.e. Red She-Hulk) aren't actually 'new', but have been thought about for the best part of a year.  That means that they are still part of this new policy.  As for any new characters that are created after the Disney buyout is completed...?  My best guess is that they'll keep a record of those new characters and keep track of their appearances for royalties, etc. "

Exactly & well put but do you think Marvel & Disney could spawn their own MDU (Marvel-Disney) with character that are kinda like a combination of both but really their own publishing company like MAX or AMALGAM & are separate so the "new" characters could have a place to go?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14  Edited By sora_thekey
    @RavagingHamster said:
    "youd think they would have been doing that from the beginning o.O "

That's what I thought!
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey

This could be good for them.  They could be getting something they were not getting anything before, because it's still sub-contracted.
    Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Okay, maybe I'm just seeing things, but does anyone else thing that it looks like Man-Thing has.... hair?  

...And I don't mean on his head.  
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceIMC

It seems to me they're just covering themselves in situations of other media. Marvel owns the characters but if someone creates a character that is a hit and gets their own cartoon or video game the creator gets a bit of a bonus. Sounds fair. DC's had problems with Superman recently right so sounds like Marvel is trying to nip this in the bud.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By zombietag

sounds good so far

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By drawme

The creators deserve some extra money. 

MARVEL give it to them!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Media_Master

Took long enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.