Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Is Marvel overusing the X-men and Avengers?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

What I mean by this is do you think that Marvel is producing too many books for both X-men and the Avengers? I understand that both books are selling well at the moment and with the success of the Avengers movie, it's not surprising that Marvel is putting out lots of books for Avengers. But, would this just end up complicating things even further with the continuity of the stories and would Marvel be faced with retconning everything if things get too out of hand?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

No, not really, they're the biggest franchises that aren't about solo characters.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X- Men? Yes. Avengers? No.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@wolverine08: I agree with this. It seems like X-men is getting more books every day. I understand that X-men have many characters, but we are still seeing the same characters in every book.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer is they got rid of Avengers Assemble because it sucks even though its supposed to tie in with the movies.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rabbitearsblog said:

@wolverine08: I agree with this. It seems like X-men is getting more books every day. I understand that X-men have many characters, but we are still seeing the same characters in every book.

Pretty much. I give Avengers SOME credit, each book has a different feel towards it

Avengers (heroics), New Avengers (world-ending scenarios), Secret Avengers (espionage), Young Avengers (young adults), Uncanny Avengers (hero / mutant relations), Avengers Assemble (movie tie-in). Avengers Arena (survival), Avengers AI (robots).

As of now, Assemble and AI havent proved to me that they need to exist. Arena couldve been a maxi series, since the shock value of killing teenagers only goes so far.

Uncanny (revolution), All-New (original), X-Men (female, 90s feel), Legacy (Legion), Factor (dysfunctional family), Wolverine and... (School, pre-teens), X-Treme (Dimension hopping), Astonishing (teachers of school), Uncanny X-Force (hit team, I think), Cable and X-Force (rogue team).

X-Men have a lot less diversity, because Wolverine and Storm are cash-making machines. X-Treme got cancelled, Astonishing is getting cancelled (I'm surprised it took awhile to cancel this title), Uncanny/Cable (and) X-Force is doing mediocre. I don't personally like Legacy, but it makes sense around. Titles in bold are the ones that I think should stick around (or in X-Factor's case, rebooted, since it's already heading that way).

jessejames182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm real big in DC, except I make sure to always get Deadpool. There seems to be too much X-Men to me, and out of all those "X" titles there's no X-23. I was really bummed when they ended her book to put her in the avengers academy. I counted all the X titles at my local shop just to get an idea of how much of the Marvel books they took up, it was something like 20-30% at that shop.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

X-men might start to be downplayed if the Inhuman series is successful. They offer all the same metaphors as X-men and Marvel has the movie rights.

I am happy with the Avengers titles as they all offer something different.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes. As usual.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Bierschneeman

Gosh no... its pure marketing move. like Batman having over 17 series where he buddies/stars/ or Spinoff of his comic book. (and superman has a bunch and Green Lantern.

its marketing, this is what people who don't already read comic books think of when you mention comic books. Hulk would probably have a whole lot more comic series if he made a single movie that didn't fail at the box office reciepts. same with fantastic four.

Its obviously working for them or they wouldn't keep doing it. (isn't Amazing X-men coming out soon) instead of having one hit comic series with high sales numbers they can spread it out, which also increases interest in the others.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@rabbitearsblog: maybe they are, but to be fair, those are the characters that bring home the bacon. It's kind of like asking if DC is overusing Batman and Superman.

As others have mentioned, at least most of the books have their own creative teams, agendas, and tone that make them all distinct. If you follow every Avengers book or every X-men book, I can see how some of it could get tiresome or redundant, but at least this way there's more options to choose from.

I mean, I only read two Avengers books and 3 or 4 X-men boos, so if Marvel only put out one Avengers book and two X-men books (like when I started reading), it would be just as likely that they wouldn't be putting out the books I like, and then I wouldn't be reading them at all.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so, it's what the readers want. What else is there in the Marvel world (outside of Future Foundation and Fantastic Four) that could be considered team-ups who contain the most popular characters. I personally would have liked to have The Runaways start up again and an X-book to match the Younger Avengers.

I'm not counting Fearless Defenders because I really don't have anything nice to say about the series at the moment. Thunderbolts, however. are getting better.

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
    MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MagnificentStorm

@wolverine08: @rabbitearsblog: Its not that they're over using either X-men or Avengers but they're over using Characters Spiderman, Wolverine, Cap so on so on (BUT NOT STORM YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORM OF COUSRE LoL) Yea that's what I think if they're gonna make so many teams then bring some others new/ more unused characters into play.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: @rabbitearsblog: Its not that they're over using either X-men or Avengers but they're over using Characters Spiderman, Wolverine, Cap so on so on (BUT NOT STORM YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORM OF COUSRE LoL) Yea that's what I think if they're gonna make so many teams then bring some others new/ more unused characters into play.

I definitely agree with this! I'm okay with the many different teams because that's what I loved about the X-Men, but they tend to use the same characters in each one and I think that it's not fair to other characters who haven't got the chance to shine yet. Just look at how many other X-Men characters are still out there without a title and Marvel could take advantage of that by actually featuring the other X-Men into their own titles instead of using the same characters over and over again.

X-men might start to be downplayed if the Inhuman series is successful. They offer all the same metaphors as X-men and Marvel has the movie rights.

I am happy with the Avengers titles as they all offer something different.

I do wonder about how the new Inhuman series will affect the X-Men universe. If it starts saying the the X-Men are Inhumans and not mutants, that might cause a rift in the X-titles that pretty much based their ideas on the mutant phenomenon.

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

avengers, yes definitely. x men nope not at all, just wolverines character, way too much wolverine. they use him so much and in the movies he has made no progression, like at all.

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

avengers, yes definitely. x men nope not at all, just wolverines character, way too much wolverine. they use him so much and in the movies he has made no progression, like at all.

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By young_beamer

Rez_Ward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rez_Ward

Well, Marvel does have various Avengers and X titles nowadays. Although like tomchu points up there, each titles have their own focus, but still for a relatively newbie in comic books like me it can get pretty confusing. This can only get worse for me if there's a crossover event, as I am a completist (mildly). Right now, of those titles I only like (follow) Secret Avengers, All-New X-Men, also Cable and X-Force. I think those are enough for me.

Avatar image for thelostpassenger
    theLOSTpassenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By theLOSTpassenger

@rabbitearsblog: I am quite honestly not sure about books because I haven't read many of either up to this point, but both seem to be what's hot at the time. I do very much wish that in regards to films, I could be treated to more films that feature some of my favorite Marvel characters. My absolute favorite is Elektra, and neither Daredevil nor Elektra, in my opinion, are as bad as so many people seem to say that they are; I very much enjoy both of them and feel cheated that I never got sequels to either. It is also very rare that I walk into a comic shop and am able to find an Elektra comic, which is always very discouraging. One of my other favorite characters is The Punisher, and for some reason, that can't seem to get a film series rolling. The 2004 film The Punisher starring Tom Jane is magnificent, and it was bad enough when the announcement was made that that would not get a sequel but a reboot instead, and it now looks like Punisher: War Zone, which I also love, is going to be abandoned, as well. I got so excited about the Dirty Laundry short last year, thinking that it meant that Jane was going to star in a feature-length sequel to The Punisher, but apparently, that is not the case; it was just to tease us. Neither The Punisher nor Punisher: War Zone narratively needs sequels, per sé, but I am just frustrated that I can't get a Punisher film trilogy, let alone even a sequel, while Marvel Cinematic Universe is now going into its eighth installment and will reach eleven by the time The Avengers: Age of Ultron is released, and X-Men will have seen seven films by the time that X-Men: Days of Future Past is released. Don't get me wrong; I am not hating on those films because I love them a great deal, especially the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. I am just saying that I wish that they would slow down so that we could be seeing a little bit more variety.

Avatar image for thelostpassenger
    theLOSTpassenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jessejames182: It is the same way at my local comic shop; if, like me, you are an Elektra fan, you are out of luck, but if you are an X-Men fan, it is a paradise.

jessejames182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelostpassenger: I know, I've kinda wanted to get into Ghost Rider but it really feels like marvel is only making Avengers/X-men books, or tie ins to the Avengers/X-Men.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By PaperDemon

Yah pretty much with the x-men but not with the avengers. I say that seeing wolverine is great but, to be honest... I dont really care about most of the other characters except for a select few.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avengers, definitely. But they've really screwed over the X-Men for the past few years.

jessejames182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru: yeah, I think Batman is overused, They've made a book basically for every niche, which is also how I see X-men right now, which I guess doesn't matter because people still buy them, but when it stretches out to other things it bothers me. Like how a third of the injustice roster is Batman. I think Green Lantern is at a comfortable amount of books, it seems to be naturally larger because it is the whole "Corps". The only Batman book I'd get rid of would be Batman Incorporated, but Morrison is killing with it so it gets a pass, when he leaves it though it should go too.

jessejames182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru: I also wanted Red Hood, if they were gonna force Batman in my face like that. Also New 52 Supergirl would've been cool, I really like the new costume. And the "Scorpion" thing i just thought was insulting.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

Pretty much. I give Avengers SOME credit, each book has a different feel towards it

Avengers (heroics), New Avengers (world-ending scenarios), Secret Avengers (espionage), Young Avengers (young adults), Uncanny Avengers (hero / mutant relations), Avengers Assemble (movie tie-in). Avengers Arena (survival), Avengers AI (robots).

As of now, Assemble and AI havent proved to me that they need to exist. Arena couldve been a maxi series, since the shock value of killing teenagers only goes so far.

Uncanny (revolution), All-New (original), X-Men (female, 90s feel), Legacy (Legion), Factor (dysfunctional family), Wolverine and... (School, pre-teens), X-Treme (Dimension hopping), Astonishing (teachers of school), Uncanny X-Force (hit team, I think), Cable and X-Force (rogue team).

X-Men have a lot less diversity, because Wolverine and Storm are cash-making machines. X-Treme got cancelled, Astonishing is getting cancelled (I'm surprised it took awhile to cancel this title), Uncanny/Cable (and) X-Force is doing mediocre. I don't personally like Legacy, but it makes sense around. Titles in bold are the ones that I think should stick around (or in X-Factor's case, rebooted, since it's already heading that way).

I agree that most of the X-books don't have a lot of diversity with the team settings. I understand that Wolverine and Storm are high sellers, but it doesn't feel fair to the other characters who haven't gotten any kind of spotlight.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tomchu

@tomchu said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

I agree that most of the X-books don't have a lot of diversity with the team settings. I understand that Wolverine and Storm are high sellers, but it doesn't feel fair to the other characters who haven't gotten any kind of spotlight.

I agree with you. I'm almost surprised an X-writer hasn't pitched a book using unused Marvel characters. I'm sure there is a dedicated fanbase. As long as it isn't downright insulting or constantly delving into mediocrity, I'm sure the book can sustain. Just look at Young Avengers, Kieron Gillen makes the book bloody fun, and its cast compose of teenagers. Why can't they do that with an X-book? There arent that many fun comics on the market right now, which is why Saga, Hawkeye and Daredevil are the top of my pull.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomchu said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

@tomchu said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

I agree with you. I'm almost surprised an X-writer hasn't pitched a book using unused Marvel characters. I'm sure there is a dedicated fanbase. As long as it isn't downright insulting or constantly delving into mediocrity, I'm sure the book can sustain. Just look at Young Avengers, Kieron Gillen makes the book bloody fun, and its cast compose of teenagers. Why can't they do that with an X-book? There arent that many fun comics on the market right now, which is why Saga, Hawkeye and Daredevil are the top of my pull.

I agree with you! I've been enjoying Saga so much because it was something really different and fun at the same time. I've been hearing good things about Hawkeye. I better give that series a chance to read!

JM3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JM3D

Definitely too many X-titles right now.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jm3d said:

Definitely too many X-titles right now.

I agree. We have like over 10 to 12 X-Titles right now and it feels unnecessary at this point to have so many titles when they could have easily break it down to a few titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.