Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Heroes vs. Heroes?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    No Caption Provided

For over the past decade, Marvel has created many stories about heroes fighting other heroes rather than creating stories focused on heroes fighting villains. What could have caused this and is this a good idea or a bad idea?

No Caption Provided

There are many good examples of stories being focused on heroes fighting each other, but the most recent and controversial stories have to stem from “Civil War” and now “Avengers vs. X-Men.” “Civil War” was a storyline where a war between Captain America and Iron Man was started when a law was decided upon whether or not superheroes have to register their powers and identities with the government, which Iron Man was for the law while Captain America was against the law. This then led to a “civil war” between Iron Man and Captain America. Currently, “Avengers vs. X-Men” is an event where the Avengers fight the X-Men over the fate of Hope Summers and deal with the Phoenix Force which came to Earth and now possessed five of the X-Men members.

So, the question here is that is it a good idea or a bad idea to have story lines where heroes fight each other and why has it become common recently? In my opinion, I usually don’t mind stories where heroes fight each other as long as there is a logical reason about why they are fighting each other in the first place, but lately, it seems like Marvel is putting out too many stories where heroes are fighting each other for no logical reason. I felt that “Civil War” had a grounded argument between Captain America and Iron Man fighting over what should be done about superheroes and this would bring up a good argument about the situation. However, whenever I look at these "Heroes vs. Heroes" stories, I wonder to myself about why can’t the heroes just talk out these problems instead of fighting each other about it? These are heroes who have fought for unity and yet, they cannot discuss about the problems and come to a reasonable solution to the problem? Well, who doesn’t want to see their favorite superheroes fighting it out and seeing who would win in these fights? But I also think it had to do with the fact that many of the most iconic villains (Magneto, Dr. Doom, Emma Frost) have all joined the good side and therefore, there is a bit of a lacking in the villains department since the villains who made the heroes who they are now are now on the hero’s side. This would probably explain why many heroes have been fighting each other lately because there are barely any villains who would rise up against the heroes, although creating new villains would make things easier and Mr. Sinister is a secondary villain to the X-Men at the moment.

I would definitely like to see more stories of Marvel trying to create new villains instead of having heroes fight each other all the time because usually when a hero fights another hero, one side is made to look like the villain in the entire event and it could have negative repercussions on the hero side that loses depending on how long the stories will drag on with this concept. However, even though Iron Man was seen as the “villain” in “Civil War,” he did seem to come out of this event without too much damage to his image.

So what do you think? Do you think that there are too many stories on heroes fighting other heroes and what are your opinions on these stories?

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Maniac2312

I think you pretty much hit it with the lack of good villains. Win Marvel's big bad's trading sides or dying, Marvel is apparently having trouble finding new bad guys. I also think the rest of the current bad guy roster need a break from getting beat every other month........ 

Another thing is there might be just a little more suspension waiting for the outcome when heroes fight. With hero/villain battles, you pretty much know who's gonna win. Sure the bad guy might get the upper hand for a few panels, but you know the hero will win in the end. 

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Duke_Nasty

Lack of villains is the problem. They seem to think if a villain is popular enough he should turn good.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Blood1991

Marvel needs to invent some great villains instead of turning their popular ones into heroes, and rehashing their lame ones.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Blood1991 said:

Marvel needs to invent some great villains instead of turning their popular ones into heroes, and rehashing their lame ones.

I agree. I feel like over the years, Marvel hasn't really come up with a new villain that is more of a threat to the heroes and instead just gets any new villain beaten up every panel.
    Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Maniac2312

Maybe they should turn more heroes into real villains.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Duke_Nasty said:

Lack of villains is the problem. They seem to think if a villain is popular enough he should turn good.

That's something I've always had a problem with.  Whenever Marvel turns the villains into good guys, they let them stay that way for awhile, but it could affect the universe or the heroes' goals because that particular villain is not there to challenge them.  I did like the story where Magneto briefly joined the X-Men in "God Loves, Man Kills" but then he automatically leaves after he helped the X-Men.
    Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HotSauceCommittee

Irrelevant, all I want are good books, and whether or not the hero is fighting fellow heros isn't at all indicative of the quality of the book. Swapping in the Masters of Evil wouldn't suddenly improve Civil War or AvX. I'd take a good Daredevil vs Cap story over a poor Cap vs Red Skull story and vice versa.

For over the past decade, Marvel has created many stories about heroes fighting other heroes rather than creating stories focused on heroes fighting villains. What could have caused this and is this a good idea or a bad idea?

And this is flat out false, heroes vs heroes are the exceptions, we get them maybe once in a year in big events, but the majority of books throughout the year still contain the classic good guy vs bad guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.