Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Gods or Aliens

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

It seems like characters within the MU understand that characters referred to as gods (like Thor or Ares) are actually just people from other dimensions/planets/whatever, so why do they still refer to them as gods?

one explanation I thought of was that since those characters refer to themselves as gods ("I am Thor, god of thunder" or what have you), other characters might just be respecting that as a culturally different meaning of the term (?)..

what do you guys think?

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope not, I really want them to be seen as The Marvelgods of that Universe

That they make a difference between mutants, people with superpowers, aliens and doesn´t see the gods as the first beeings with supernatural powers and therefore were thought of as deitys because the concept of mutants were unknown

And even though other characters got immortality, inhuman powers and even been worshipped I hope they see the gods not as aliens or travelers between differnet dimensions with worshippers all over the uiverse but as godly beeings more or less bound to the Marvel Earth just as the skrullgods are bound to theirs. That they are aware of Olympus, Asgård, Valhalla or heaven, Hades, Hel or hell and know that they might end up there once they die

May not answere your question, but me, I hope the characters of the Marvel Universe really acknowledge them as gods ;)

No Caption Provided

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To a primitive species, an creature like Thor could easily be mistaken for a deity. When someone refers to you as a god long enough, you'll start believing it.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

@oldnightcrawler said:

It seems like characters within the MU understand that characters referred to as gods (like Thor or Ares) are actually just people from other dimensions/planets/whatever, so why do they still refer to them as gods?

one explanation I thought of was that since those characters refer to themselves as gods ("I am Thor, god of thunder" or what have you), other characters might just be respecting that as a culturally different meaning of the term (?)..

what do you guys think?

Well they tried or stated that the Asgardians were as you explained but not necessarily true Odin, Thor's father, is supposed to be an All Father while Thor's mother is Gaea-Goddess of Earth ( Mother Earth) which would make him a God in any case.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilvegeta74

@awesam:

@oldnightcrawler said:

what do you guys think?

Well they tried or stated that the Asgardians were as you explained but not necessarily true Odin, Thor's father, is supposed to be an All Father while Thor's mother is Gaea-Goddess of Earth ( Mother Earth) which would make him a God in any case.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

all a god is is a being with powers that is an object of worship

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Gods not aliens.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam:

So, Thor's mother is the mother of the Earth? or she is the Earth?

I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74 said:

@awesam:

So, Thor's mother is the mother of the Earth? or she is the Earth?

I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Gaea the Goddess of Earth -Aka Mother Earth!

Thor is one of several powerful ancient beings who dwell in a magical realm called

Asgard

. Through history, these beings have been revered and worshiped as gods. Ages ago,

Odin

, lord of the Asgardian gods, desired a child who would one day exceed him in power. Odin wooed

Gaea

, the earth goddess, and from their union Thor was born in a small cave in Norway on Earth. Odin took him to be raised in Asgard by his wife,

Frigga

More on Marvel.com:

http://marvel.com/universe/Thor_(Thor_Odinson)#ixzz2TKq3ohQd

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaea the Goddess of Earth -Aka Mother Earth!

what does this mean? literally, if you lived in that world, what would that mean to you?

TheFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I can't remember who is responsible for their origin, but the Asgardians, at least, are some super old alien race from around the time of the deviants and eternals whose mythological identity was basically shaped by man's perception of them. They pay lip service to the idea in the first Thor film.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I personally am not concerned with what they are technically considered. Tho Thor is technically at least a demigod given that his mother is a certified elder goddess.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.