Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Can someone explain magic in marvel universe?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moywar700

The part I don't understand about magic in marvel is the boundaries of magic. What are the limits of magic? Do they use some kind of energy to cast the spells or does it cause mental strain??? Can somebody explain??? When I asked this question, I had doctor strange and magik in mind.

'''

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By Deadcool

In the 1610 Ultimate Marvel universe, Magic is just the control of the energy with your mind, is similar to science.

In the 616 Mainsteam Marvel Universe, Magic is something else, the control of a certain type of energy with its own nature, is part of the universe, it belongs to a place like Earth, Asgard, Crimson Cosmos and Dark Dimension (If you control the energy of that place you are able to do magic).

At least that is the way Iinterpret magic in those universes according to the feats of the magic in both of them.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By feebadger

Great question moywar. I certainly don't consider myself an expert on the subject but it seems that Marvel have never really clearly defined their magical world, which is part of what makes the Marvel universe so interesting. Like the Marvel universe and the multiverse it seems that magic is this great,, unexplored domain where anything can (and does) happen, which is very different to the DC world of magic which is far more defined and is usually portrayed as a secret society or cult that needs to be negotiated to build character (which is also not a bad thing, see BOOKS OF MAGIC, HELLBLAZER, SANDMAN, etc). Just like the Fantastic Four were used as conduits to explore the never ending amazing stories the world of science could create i nthe 60's, Dr Strange was the used as the mystical equivalent to explore the new age world of mysticism which was also very popular in the birth of the counter culture of the 60's.

As to what the boundaries and rules are of Marvel magic? Well, like i said, Marvel play hard and fast with these rules and i don;t think they have ever been defined. In the very early Dr Strange tales, there was probably more effort to establish some form of structure to the use of magic, but in recent years there seems to be less. The Scarlet Witch confused matters even more by being an adept at magic, whilst also being a witch and no one really being able to ascertain where one begins and the other ends. She was capable of fairly minor feats of 'chaos magic' at certain points whilst at other times being able to perform magic that wiped out the vast majority of hte mutant population and conjur undead enemies for hte Avengers. Dr. Strange, Magik, Mephisto, Dormammu... all have fluctuated between being all powerful and being merely conjurers in their time (depending on who was writing them) and it ahs never really been explained why or what hte circumstances of their power was or is.

Magic is like the unexplored universe in the Marvel universe it seems; a great playground for stories that will (hopefully) defy the imagination of the reader.

Hope that wasn't too rambling and helped somewhat, moywar.

If anyone else can answer the question more clearly, i too would love to hear the answer.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThanoStomp

I agree, Marvel could use some better guidelines around magic in their verse. For example, the last incarnation of Adam Warlock - "Quantum Mage" is a cool concept. I really like it but not sure if he's a magician or some kind of blend of science, energy manipulation and magic. I didn't like the fact that guys like Vulcan could steal his powers.... if indeed it is magic.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moywar700

thanks for answers, bump

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE

Pretty much I see any instance of defined magic in the Marvel Universe laid out already. Though I have to admit the notion, and I hear and see it a lot, of defining magic somewhat alludes me humorously. I'll quote myself recently " Watching an absolute scientist try and understand things like spirituality, magic, sensuality, love, ect. is like trying to listen to someone describe what the moon is while they're looking at it through a microscope. " Believe it or not, that is an answer to your query of sorts. Think of magic like you do the blind spot in your own vision, it's something you can't see nor therefore paint a picture of, but something you still know, are connected to and experience. One can never understand magic or how it works on paper. It's something that tells you what it is from the outside and within, and you go with it. Something without a true name. Once you clearly dissect and define magic, it isn't magic anymore. Magic is felt and experienced in much more than words.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By kiss_lamia
    @CATPANEXE said:

Pretty much I see any instance of defined magic in the Marvel Universe laid out already. Though I have to admit the notion, and I hear and see it a lot, of defining magic somewhat alludes me humorously. I'll quote myself recently " Watching an absolute scientist try and understand things like spirituality, magic, sensuality, love, ect. is like trying to listen to someone describe what the moon is while they're looking at it through a microscope. " Believe it or not, that is an answer to your query of sorts. Think of magic like you do the blind spot in your own vision, it's something you can't see nor therefore paint a picture of, but something you still know, are connected to and experience. One can never understand magic or how it works on paper. It's something that tells you what it is from the outside and within, and you go with it. Something without a true name. Once you clearly dissect and define magic, it isn't magic anymore. Magic is felt and experienced in much more than words.

This
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By gravitypress

There are three different types:

Personal - Magic comes from you

Universal - Ambient magic in the environment

Dimensional - Calling a deity or being to grant power.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By luckydomino1

@CATPANEXE said:

this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.