Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Best and worst Marvel big events ?

• 62 results
    Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What your favourites and which ones do you hate ?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say 'Dark Avengers' as the best, but it's not really an event. However, watching Norman Osborn do his best to play hero, and actually keeping all those villains together was wonderful.

Worst... hands down, AvX. Mindless beat-em-up. It's like Marvel vs Capcom without the Capcom. Nobody behaving in character, everyone forgetting all the history they had together.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
    SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well numb 1 best marvel event for me is the civil war and the following events, including the world war hulk series.

Numb 1 worst for me is parker dying, while i do enjoy superior spiderman i didnt feel that parker dying was necessary but i enjoyed the sories of parkers death too. They where movie worthy and well written.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Age of Ultron was one of the worst events by far. The idea was great to have but Marvel does what Marvel and DC both do to mess up a great story...they use time travel to ruin the story. It wasn't that they used time travel but they made the story more confusing to the readers. Example...Wolverine and Sue come back to the present and everything is back to normal but we then see Wolverine with the Avengers fighting Ultron like we did in Avengers 12.1. That didn't make sense at all. Dam you Bendis.

The best event that I've read I'll go with Civil War because 1. the idea was interesting and something that was never done before and 2. the event had an effect on so many areas in the Marvel universe. Avengers Academy being created, set up Norman's rise to power after Secret Invasion, Dark Avengers, Cap's death, Peter revealing his secret to the world, Tony being hunted down.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Siege, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Infinity, World War Hulk

Worst: Age Of Ultron, AVX

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

I really enjoyed the Evolutionary War, Secret Wars, and Infinity Gauntlet.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Moonlighterstone

The best will be X-Legacy, the worst will be Uncanny Avengers, and AVX.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers is really good actually.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@spiderman1997 said:

What your favourites and which ones do you hate ?

most big events kind of suck compared to the regular books.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (1984) was pretty good, and a good example of an event done right in so far as it had an actual impact on the characters without having to have tie-ins to regular series. Secret Wars II (1985), however, was pretty sucky, yet became more the template for event books by being the first to have tie-ins to every other series.

Some events, like House of M (2005) or Civil War (2006), are actually pretty good if you just read the event series themselves and ignore any of the tie-ins in other series. Even a book like Avengers Vs. X-Men would have been okay if you just read the 12 issue series itself, but lost a lot of impact and became tiresome as a concept by tying into virtually every Avengers and X-men book for the better part of a whole year.

That's why I generally avoid big events these days, and series that only seem to exist to facilitate them, like Hickman's Avengers books.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers isn't an event book. If anything, it's the opposite of an event book because it's a completely self-contained regular series. Also, it's probably the best Avengers book in years.

Beoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Beoftw

Civil War was one of the worst events I have ever read.

Almost no one was portrayed in character believably. Reed Richards basically got the okay to play Dr. Frankenstein with Thor, Mutants were treated like caged animals, captain america has one of the most embarrassing, nonsensical surrenders in history, Tony Stark is written to be inconceivably ignorant as to why secret identities are in place, and they practically wrote Peter Parker into murdering his own friends and family.

Not to mention the absurd amount of plot holes that needed to be patched up later. (apparently atlanteans just evaporate into the clouds when a single soldier gives up. Namor would have to have his head lopped off before he ever gave up)

The entire story came off as nothing more than a political message that 1984 is an acceptable fate for the western world and that we should just sit and accept it.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

Best: Siege, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Infinity, World War Hulk

Worst: Age Of Ultron, AVX

This.....

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spider11211

@moonlighterstone said:

Uncanny Avengers isn't an event book. If anything, it's the opposite of an event book because it's a completely self-contained regular series. Also, it's probably the best Avengers book in years.

photo ironfist-1.jpg

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler
    GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I actually like AvX... I am on the minority.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendork666

It may be taboo, but I generally don't pay attention to big events. They rarely seem to have any substantial effect on the books I read.

No Caption Provided

With that said, I really enjoyed both Civil War, and Spider Island. Minimum Carnage, while not perfect, was also pretty cool. It's sort of hard to screw up a book with Agent Venom, Kaine, and Carnage as your main characters. I could've done without the fairies, but the fight scenes were killer, and it was super badass when Kaine lobotomized Carnage by stabbing Cletus' brain through his eye! Also, just look how cool the image to the left is! I may be partial though, considering Maximum Carnage played a big part in my intro to comics.

I'd like to one day read through Secret Wars, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, House of M, Secret Invasion, and even the much-hated AvX.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: probably Infinity

Worst: I can't choose whats worse Civil War, Age of Ultron or Fear Itself

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Best are Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet

Worst are Age of Ultron, Avengers vs X-Men

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By primebonnick

Best: seige, world war hulk, Civil war, Secret Invasion, House of M, Infinity

Worst: AvX, Fear itself, Age of Ultron.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Secret wars, Infinity Gauntlet, and Planet Hulk.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

What?

Nobody else cared for the Evolutionary War or Atlantis Attacks?

Beoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beoftw
    @nintendork666 said:

It may be taboo, but I generally don't pay attention to big events. They rarely seem to have any substantial effect on the books I read.

No Caption Provided

With that said, I really enjoyed both Civil War, and Spider Island. Minimum Carnage, while not perfect, was also pretty cool. It's sort of hard to screw up a book with Agent Venom, Kaine, and Carnage as your main characters. I could've done without the fairies, but the fight scenes were killer, and it was super badass when Kaine lobotomized Carnage by stabbing Cletus' brain through his eye! Also, just look how cool the image to the left is! I may be partial though, considering Maximum Carnage played a big part in my intro to comics.

I'd like to one day read through Secret Wars, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, House of M, Secret Invasion, and even the much-hated AvX.

Spider Island was an absolute gem. I felt like a kid again while reading it because it hit all the right spots. Really highlights why we all still love Spidy without any of the headaches that we have endured in the passed couple years with his (slotts) writing. And the entire venom series right now as a whole is absolutely amazing. Love love love the artwork and the writing we are getting out of Flashes story arcs. Its just as badass as all the stuff I loved in the 90's with good continuity and seamless transitions into other characters story arcs. The best thing that could happen or has happened to the symbiote in a long time.

I haven't seen something more badass than Venom biting off and then eating the Hijackers head since I read spawn for the first time as a kid. I'm so glad some writers aren't dumbing down characters for younger audiences, and wasting truly epics moments like this.

Now we just need Jason Aaron to give us a Thor event that can match the absolutely amazing level of artwork and writing that's being done in Thor: God of Thunder.

IRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I simply couldn't get over the number of idiot balls that needed to be passed out in order for Civil War or World War Hulk to function as a plot like they did.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Infinity, Secret Invasion, Secret War

Worst: AvX

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

Best: Infinity, Secret Invasion, Secret War

and age of ultron, so much continuity errors and not that good of the story. Which is sad because it is written by Brian MIchael Bendis

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Best:Civil War, Infinity

Worst:AvX

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best? Annihilation, Infinity Gauntlet, and Infinity

Worst? Onslaught, Avengers vs. X-Men, and Age of Ultron. Hell, every Avengers event after World War Hulk and before Infinity was bad.

KingKrabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always seen so much hate for AvX, I'm gonna have to read it just to see what the fuss is about. lol

My favorite, however, will always be Infinity Gauntlet.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Schism, AvX, House of M are to me the worst. The best is too hard to choose.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spiderman1997

Thanks everybody. Sorry for not replying but I think I have a problem with CV I don't get messages when someone replies me. And Favourite : Civil War, Secret wars' I also enjoyed Secret Invasion

I didn't like Siege and Fear Itself.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are there any good ones?
    all they seem to be is heroes vs heroes.
    there's more to complain about but I guesss infinity wins for not being terrible

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity was great. Certainly ranks In my tops. I also did not like AvX. I was super excited for it after hints of it from bendis' Avengers.

Civil War was really good and I enjoyed Seige and Fear itself.

Secret invasion had great potential but did not pan out for me

A classic for me would be X-cutioners Song. I read a few issues as a kid and found the trade a few years back and loved it

I also loved War of the Kings with the Inhumans. Annihilation was really good too.

I guess marvel has had quite a few good events

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jrupert1

Hmm, it's easier to think of ones I hate. Those being

House of M, World War Hulk, Age of Ultron, Avengers vs X-Men, and Secret Wars 2 have to be my most hated. Poor stories with mindless action and awful representations of characters. Many are out of character, some on such insulting levels that you can tell they didn't even try. They just had an event thought up and filled it with characters in a way that it's like a kid forcing a cube in a cylinder hole. And their stupidity... it's too much.

Infinity, Infinity Gauntlet, and Thanos Imperative are probably my favorite (though I'm not generally the biggest fan of events). There are a couple others I liked, like Siege and Evolutionary War but these rank in my top, if I were to have one. I can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be a common element in these events that I prefer, hmm...

Civil War is an interesting one. I enjoyed it, and really liked the concept but it also fell victim at times to the plot and character problems the ones I hated had. Though definitely not to the extent of them and it genuinely had some good moments. The best I can say about the ones I hated is some are well drawn.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By devilsgrin81

best:

Age of Apocalypse

X-Cutioner's Song

Civil War

Worst

AvX

Secret Wars 2

House of M

Tolerable

Secret Invasion

Secret War

War of the Kings

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Favorites: Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, Thanos Imperative, Infinity, Age of Apocalypse

Good/Tolerable: Secret Invasion, Fear Itself, Civil War, War of Kings, Seige, World War Hulk

Hate: AvX, Schism

I literally burned it: Age of Ultron

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno if this is taboo, but I actually love AvX, I guess I like heroes vs heroes action more than deep character developement from time to time

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best:

Annihilation - this event got me to really like the space events of Marvel.

Thanos Imperative - After learning it was written by Dan Abnett (I know him from his novels "the Horus Heresy" from the Warhammer: 40000 universe) I jumped aboard and got hooked.

X-tinction Agenda - One of Claremont's hallmark events that gave such a good appeal to get me started on reading X-Men during the 90's

Secret Wars - I only got to read this in the mid 90's but In here we witness Dr. Doom's true potential and what a threat he really is not just for the Fantastic Four.

Worst:

Onslaught: Marvel universe - The whole thing felt like it was just meant to literally reboot the "non-mutant" heroes and the development of kids having godly powers (to an extent individual kids could possibly challenge cosmic beings like the Celestials) just didn't appeal to me at all.

AvX - Its like trying to put a relevant story in a fighting game where nobody ever cares for the story in those games.

Age of Ultron - Didn't really hate it as much but the pacing was pretty slow and the last two issues baffled me not necessarily in a good way. Also adding Angela in Marvel Universe felt odd.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best ;

• World War Hulk
    • Siege
    • Original Sin

Worst ;

• Infinity
    • Fear Itself
    SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Ultron was one of the worst events by far. The idea was great to have but Marvel does what Marvel and DC both do to mess up a great story...they use time travel to ruin the story. It wasn't that they used time travel but they made the story more confusing to the readers. Example...Wolverine and Sue come back to the present and everything is back to normal but we then see Wolverine with the Avengers fighting Ultron like we did in Avengers 12.1. That didn't make sense at all. Dam you Bendis.

The best event that I've read I'll go with Civil War because 1. the idea was interesting and something that was never done before and 2. the event had an effect on so many areas in the Marvel universe. Avengers Academy being created, set up Norman's rise to power after Secret Invasion, Dark Avengers, Cap's death, Peter revealing his secret to the world, Tony being hunted down.

Except it was done in Kingdom Come...

But I do agree with you about it being interesting.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst: Fear Itself, Age of Ultron, Secret Invasion, Infinity

Best: House of M, Civil War, World War Hulk, Avengers vs X-Men

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Best: Second coming, Messiah complex, House of M/Avengers disassemble, AvX, Secrect Wars, Infinity gauntlet, X-Cutioner's Song, Age of Apocalypse

Worst: Age of Ultron (I was SO excited for this event, and even though I got to see wolverine slit pym's throat :) It still was a major flop 'storywise'.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chem86 said:

Worst: Age of Ultron (I was SO excited for this event, and even though I got to see wolverine slit pym's throat :) It still was a major flop 'storywise'.

exactly. I thought it was going to be epic and it let me down

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best- Secret Wars (greatest cover I ever saw)

Good- Atlantis Attacks, World War Hulk

Bad- Civil War

Worst- anything to do with Spider-Man making a deal with the devil, and the Ultimatum event where all the Ultimate heroes died.

Alias99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will also add my name to the minority of folks that really liked AvX.

I grew up on Secret Wars back in the 80's so that has a real place of nostalgia in my heart.

I'm reading the Original Sin issues right now, and am enjoying them thus far.

Nothing comes to mind that I really *dislike* ... maybe I just purge them from my memory? :P

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Secret Wars

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BEST: Seige was magnificent. The ending was weak, but the rest of it made up for that.

WORST: Civil War was an abomination that left me hating Tony Stark (and Marvel's incessant whitewashing of him) so much that I still feel guilty whenever I go out to see an Iron Man film. It took an act of will not to throw away every Iron Man book I have.

@beoftw said:

Civil War was one of the worst events I have ever read.

Almost no one was portrayed in character believably. Reed Richards basically got the okay to play Dr. Frankenstein with Thor, Mutants were treated like caged animals, captain america has one of the most embarrassing, nonsensical surrenders in history, Tony Stark is written to be inconceivably ignorant as to why secret identities are in place, and they practically wrote Peter Parker into murdering his own friends and family.

----SNIP!----

The entire story came off as nothing more than a political message that 1984 is an acceptable fate for the western world and that we should just sit and accept it.

RUNNERS-UP: If you have access to reprints, both the Korvac Saga and the Kree-Skrull War were pretty special, too.

ODIOUSLY OVERRATED: Anything involving the Infinity Gems.

EMBARRASSING PLEASURE: Secret Wars II was actually fun to read!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Best: Annihilation

Worst: Chaos War

And I know Chaos War was the worst because everyone in this thread thought it was so bad they forgot it even existed.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Best : Civil War and Infinity

Worst: Age of Ultron

Avatar image for alphaworldpeace
    AlphaWorldPeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Wait, that makes sense. I really disliked House of M because most of the tie-ins sucked so bad, I suppose the actual story wasn't the worst.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.