Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Any opinions on good Marvel story arcs?

JPlasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've posted my question about Marvel story arcs on other forums but I haven't gotten as many responses as i wanted so I thought i give the "Marvel" forum a shot.

So I just started reading comics...mainly read DC's New 52 Batman and just hoped on the Superman Unchained. I really want to get into Marvel comics. Marvel Now really hasn't been doing it for me with the exception of Thor and Wolverine (somewhat). Since that's my case i would like suggestions fir arcs from past comic volumes from hero's including Wolvie, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Avengers, and X-men.

I've read just about everything Wolverine: Wolverine (Claremont/Miller), Wolverine 1-4 (1982 series), Origin, Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X (72-84), Old-man Logan, and Incredible Hulk 180,181. And I picked up X-men 1 (Claremont/Lee) which I found for $1.

As I said I'll take any suggestions. I ask that if you suggest a TPB can you please tell me the issues in the trade.

Thanks!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cap10nate

Kurt Busiek wrote an amazing run on Avengers from 1998 to 2002. It can be collected in 5 volumes called Avengers Assemble vol 1-5. Ultron Unlimited (vol 2) and Kang Dynasty (vol 5) are my favorites. He also wrote a twelve issue mini series called Avengers Forever that is a fantastic story as well as the definitive history of the Avengers.

Some of my other favorite Avengers arcs are Under Siege, Red Zone , Kree/Skrull War, and New Avengers Breakout.

For Cap, I would recommend Brubaker's run which is volume 5. The whole run is fantastic but if I had to pick some TPBs, it would be the Ultimate Winter Soldier Collection, Death of Captain America, and the Life of Bucky Barnes.

Mark Waid wrote a great story called Man out of Time.

For Thor, can't go wrong with Walt Simonson's run. It is collected in Marvel Visionaries 1 and 2. I forget the real names of the arcs but the first one is the introduction of Beta Ray Bill and continues to the final battle with Surtur.

The only Hulk stories I can recommend are Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. I never read Peter David's run on Hulk but it is considered a fantastic run.

Can't help with X-men

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Cap10nate
    Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avengers vs. X-Men.

Just Kidding

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GhostRider88

@jplasma: I know exactly how you feel. I was in your shoes (3years ago). And then to enter the marvel comic book realm NOW was such a confusing hassle because I'm sorry but now is not the greatest time for an introduction into the marvel universe with everything that's going on. Anyways I'd highly recommend to anyone in your boat to start with throwbacks and slowly make their way to the present day. The 80's was in my opinion the greatest era for comic books. I can read 80's comics all day and not get bored. Plus theres just so many titles to choose from.

Also because there's just so many, I'd recommend choosing maybe 3-4 characters or teams to follow (I went with 5- Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Ghost Rider, Avengers & Captain America).

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annihlation

Omanlew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. It was my first read into comics and blew me away! Emma Frost is awesome in it!

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planet and world war hulk. Amazing. Just amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.