Follow

Martin Luther King Jr.

Character » Martin Luther King Jr. appears in 93 issues.

A clergyman who turned the tide of the African-American Civil Rights Movement

The Martin Luther King Respect Thread

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MasterJohn

This man is a hero to me, a pure Hero. I will devote 39 minutes piecing together a big respect thread to him.

No Caption Provided

Inspiring quotes of MLK will be chopped into sections. Faith, family, love, God, peace, equality.

Faith: My most favorite quote

“Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Inspiriation:

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
    Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
    Martin

“Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

“the time is always right to do the right thing”
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

The choice is not between violence and nonviolence but between nonviolence and nonexistence.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy to a friend.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.

These are just s0me of his quotes. He used Love as his weapon. And guess what? He fixed a broken society with Love.

One of my most favorite quotes from him:

"Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom, by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred" - MLK

God bless all of you (even if you don't believe in him) and have a marvelous MLK day. This is an example of someone who shifted a society, even more then John Lennon, and this society shifter was a Christian.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    I will devote 39 minutes piecing together a big respect thread to him.

Oh..................honey.....................I appreciate the thread inspiration, but getting specific with time can get.....well......ugly

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MasterJohn

@White Mage said:

Oh..................honey.....................I appreciate the thread inspiration, but getting specific with time can get.....well......ugly

If someone has the nerve to be disrespectful to a thread devoted to the man, who's fought it is that Whites and blacks can sit in the same resteraunt, then they are heartless. Absoloutly heartless.

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sideslash

No one's being disrespectful, brah.

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

@MasterJohn said:

@White Mage said:

If someone has the nerve to be disrespectful to a thread devoted to the man, who's fought it is that Whites and blacks can sit in the same resteraunt, then they are heartless. Absoloutly heartless.

Chill. The comment was about the addition of indicating how many minutes you devoted to the thread. It was a mere observation/heads up due to experience in the site IMO. Nobody is really disrespecting anyone.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I do wonder what his views on homosexuality where

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ARMIV2
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ARMIV2

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Apparently it is up for debate.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/16/what-did-mlk-think-about-gay-people/

Yeah that is why I wonder what he actually thought about it.I would like to think if her where around today he would be a defender of civil rights like he was back then.

From what I read of that article it sounds like he would be, or at least to some extent supported something about the movement.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

What an obscure historical figure. How fitting for a respect thread.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah that is why I wonder what he actually thought about it.I would like to think if her where around today he would be a defender of civil rights like he was back then.

From what I read of that article it sounds like he would be, or at least to some extent supported something about the movement.

Yeah.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ARMIV2

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah.

Yeah...

And with that, this thread has become a little more insightful into a wonderful human being.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah.

Yeah...

And with that, this thread has become a little more insightful into a wonderful human being.

I am wonderful? Aw thank you :D

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV2

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah.

Yeah...

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By minigunman123

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah.

Yeah...

.. That picture's awesome.

Can I have it?

Also, wasn't MLK a Christian? He might be against certain aspects of "gay rights" then.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By SavageDragon

He was one of the greatest American Citizens ever. We need more people like like Dr King to inspire us in our world.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ARMIV2

@minigunman123 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

@ARMIV2 said:

Yeah.

Yeah...

Can I have it?

Also, wasn't MLK a Christian? He might be against certain aspects of "gay rights" then.

It ain't my picture. Been floatin' around as part of a meme for a little while actually.

And he was, but according to the article I posted above, there are certain things he did/said that made people (I think his wife included) believe he would support, at least to some extent maybe, the homosexual movement.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By King_Saturn
    @minigunman123 said: 

Can I have it?

It's possible you could be Christian and support Gay Rights... it's all about how you interpret and view the Bible... cause technically you could consider the Laws in Leviticus obsolete to a Christian considering the writings in Romans... 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

Seriously.

Like... no one's heard of him.

Ever.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By nefarious

He was truly a man of his word. His battle for peace and equality were astounding. I wonder what he would think of the world today if he were still alive. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
    deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good respect thread

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Xanni15

With all due respect he was overrated and gets way too much credit. There were many who came before him or while he was around that did more for the Cause, but we don't hear about them.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By King_Saturn
    @Xanni15 said:

With all due respect he was overrated and gets way too much credit. There were many who came before him or while he was around that did more for the Cause, but we don't hear about them.

Medgar Evers ?
    Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@King Saturn said:

@Xanni15 said:

Medgar Evers ?

Carter G. Woodson

Mary Mcleod Bethune

Booker T. Washington

Harriet Tubman

Steve Biko

Stokely Carmichael

Bussa

just to name a few, I get the point but still MLK deserves his credit as well.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xanni15

@King Saturn said:

@Xanni15 said:

Medgar Evers ?

Jo Ann Robinson was who I was thinking of, but he works too.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xanni15

@TheAmazingImmortalMan: I'm not saying he doesn't, and I didn't mean to derail the thread, but in mainstream MLK gets the majority of credit, he has streets named after him in a lot of places, and is generally thought of as being one of the main reasons. His popularity had a lot to do with this.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MasterJohn

@Xanni15 said:

What a absoloute LIE. A complete and utter lie. This man was one of the greatest Black civil rights leaders. He fought for Blacks and Whites to be able to share fellowship together, and it happened. He fought for YOU to be able to say HI to a black person.

Have you gone out and led millions in peaceful protests, having death hang over your head? Have you been arrested many times just because you wanted a Black Boy to be able to go to a white school? Did you ever make a speech infront of thousands, that still inspiries billions today?

Thank you for de-railing my thread. If you came here to bash MLK, please leave.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By satyrgod

It amazes me how so many can adore a man as make-shift god and talk of civil rights while actively attempting, or ignoring the attempts of others, to strip other minorities of constitutional rights and civil liberties that they claim hold so dear. How about we all band together to continue to fight for civil rights and marriage equality?

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheDude123

Much respect. He did far more for his fellow human beings of all colors and sacrificed more than any of us. He even gave his life for the cause of human rights. Anyone disparaging him or not acknowledging his contributions is in all likelihood a terrible human being.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Xanni15

@MasterJohn said:

@Xanni15 said:

What a absoloute LIE. A complete and utter lie. This man was one of the greatest Black civil rights leaders. He fought for Blacks and Whites to be able to share fellowship together, and it happened. He fought for YOU to be able to say HI to a black person.

Have you gone out and led millions in peaceful protests, having death hang over your head? Have you been arrested many times just because you wanted a Black Boy to be able to go to a white school? Did you ever make a speech infront of thousands, that still inspiries billions today?

I can tell you that many protests you think were peaceful, actually weren't. No, but was MLK the only one who actually fought for Civil Rights? No.

I didn't come to bash MLK.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lykopis

@turoksonofstone:

Fantastic collage, this is my favourite:

I wonder how much more he could have accomplished had he not been assassinated.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

@ARMIV2 said:

Most likely he would have advocated equal treatment. Ex. using peace and understanding to get southern supremacists and northern donkeys heads to see them as humans with a different attraction, rather than OMG GAYS! like most jocks did (and still do to this day).

Marriage wise, I'm not convinced he'd go for it. Equal rights across the board for partnership yes, but he was a Reverend, so the marriage angle would've been tricky regarding his beliefs and religion.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#33  Edited By RazzaTazz

@ARMIV2 said:

The way I see it, it is a meaningless aspect of the discussion about him.  He was one of the most progressive social leaders in modern history, but progress depends on moving forward.  He depended on others before him in the drive for progress, just as others after him have built on what he did.  
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz said:

@ARMIV2 said:

The way I see it, it is a meaningless aspect of the discussion about him. He was one of the most progressive social leaders in modern history, but progress depends on moving forward. He depended on others before him in the drive for progress, just as others after him have built on what he did.

Oh yes I can see that,I was just speculating on what his thoughts might of been on homosexuality.That is all really,since we dont really have an insight into that.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @mrdecepticonleader: Interesting speculation, but it is a bit of a feedback loop.  Like the Beatles would they be popular today if they came on to the scene?  Probably not, you would never hear about them.  But the artists today would not be popular if the Beatles had not accomplished what they did in the 60s.  The same kind of logic applies to MLK.  
    ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ARMIV2

@RazzaTazz said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Interesting speculation, but it is a bit of a feedback loop. Like the Beatles would they be popular today if they came on to the scene? Probably not, you would never hear about them. But the artists today would not be popular if the Beatles had not accomplished what they did in the 60s. The same kind of logic applies to MLK.

I do suppose you're right on the spot with that.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Interesting speculation, but it is a bit of a feedback loop. Like the Beatles would they be popular today if they came on to the scene? Probably not, you would never hear about them. But the artists today would not be popular if the Beatles had not accomplished what they did in the 60s. The same kind of logic applies to MLK.

That is debatable,since he was a civil rights leader,I wasn't really talking about his popularity I was talking about what his views on homosexuality was.Not really just what would they be today but what they where back then. So your comparison regarding the Beatles doesn't line up.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MasterJohn

@RazzaTazz said:

That is debatable,since he was a civil rights leader,I wasn't really talking about his popularity I was talking about what his views on homosexuality was.Not really just what would they be today but what they where back then. So your comparison regarding the Beatles doesn't line up.

Lets not debate on if he liked Homosexuals or not. He loved ALL human beings. Lets just honor him.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KnightRise

@MasterJohn said:

@Xanni15 said:

You're absolutely overreacting. MLK wasn't alone in the struggle; thats all that was said. Part of Dr King's message was that of understanding, and that rage-filled, borderline zealist, leap of a conclusion is something he wouldn't be proud of.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MasterJohn said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Lets not debate on if he liked Homosexuals or not. He loved ALL human beings. Lets just honor him.

I am not debating I was speculating.

My last post leans to a bit more of debating but not really about that it was more of a reply to razz.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By turoksonofstone

@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

@King Saturn said:

@Xanni15 said:

Medgar Evers ?

Carter G. Woodson

Mary Mcleod Bethune

Booker T. Washington

Harriet Tubman

Steve Biko

Stokely Carmichael

Bussa

just to name a few, I get the point but still MLK deserves his credit as well.

Add the Abolitionists too. Though I think MLK accomplished the most significant bits.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Gambit1024

Dude had a good taste in games. Good for him, that little dreamer.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RazzaTazz

@RazzaTazz said:

I didn't mean in terms of their popularity so much, they changed the face of music, just like MLK changed the public discourse.  For instance the Stonewall Riots happened after MLK was murdered, but there would not be a discussion about their rights at the moment in society if King had not been there to blaze the trail for others to follow.  
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz said:

@RazzaTazz said:

I didn't mean in terms of their popularity so much, they changed the face of music, just like MLK changed the public discourse. For instance the Stonewall Riots happened after MLK was murdered, but there would not be a discussion about their rights at the moment in society if King had not been there to blaze the trail for others to follow.

Yeah I agree with that.But that was not what I was initially talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.