inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Martian Manhunter's new book debuted this week and it's a pretty big departure from his other previous volumes, which were mostly about being alone in the galaxy and the last (and not-so-last) of his kind. The newest volume of the book is the first we've seen since the company-wide New 52 reboot a few years back.

Writer Rob Williams (2000 AD, THE ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR) teams up with Eddy Barrows (NIGHTWING), Eber Ferreira (EARTH 2: WORLD'S END, NIGHTWING), and Gabe Eltaeb (GREEN LANTERN CORPS) for this new series which takes the character in a whole new direction as Martian Manhunter tries being a hero on his own. However, nothing is as it seems and there's something else sinister going on. We took a look at some of the big developments from this first issue.

Warning: There are spoilers for the first issue here.

5. The Book is Dark

No Caption Provided

As we mentioned before, Martian Manhunter, who also goes by J'onn J'onzz, has had a few books in the past, which end up being intentionally depressing. Not all of them, mind you, but a few of these books have this overall theme of a man trying to find something that was lost. The books weren't light-hearted but never strayed from a tone that was too dark. With this new volume, MARTIAN MANHUNTER has is walking a fine line between a superhero book and a horror story. The image about doesn't do the whole book justice because the contents of the issue is what really set the tone. It isn't overly gory, but the entire issue feels like someone is watching you, from your closet. While this isn't a specific development with the character, looking forward, it seems this Vertigo-esque way to tell stories could really affect the character in a big way.

4. Martian Manhunter's Shapeshifting is on Steroids

No Caption Provided

There's going to be a few Martian Manhunter fans who will say "Hey! MM once grew to the size of a building!" Well, in the post-Flashpoint world, J'onn never got as big as we see above. He's increased his size a couple times in fights during JLA and STORMWATCH, but in order to save a plane that's on its way to crash, J'onn gets ridiculously big here, much bigger than the plane he's trying to save. Pre-Flashpoint, there was a time where the Chocos cookie loving character grew to the size of a building, but he borrowed mass from around him to do so. There's no mention of that here but growing that size does take it out of him.

3. Aliens are Everywhere

No Caption Provided

Martian Manhunter wasn't alone when he left Mars. There were other martians and J'onn was going to lead them. After his rite of passage, he went back to Mars and found no one was there and it was all burned down. That's the story J'onn told us and we (Catwoman) were shown in JLA. However, this issue shows us differently. There are green and white martians hidden away on Earth, including Mr Biscuits. Why are these Martians here and does J'onn know about them?

2. Martian Manhunter Has Been Lying to Us

No Caption Provided

The biggest revelation of the book happens early on, right before J'onn saves the crashing plane. He flat-out tells the reader that not only is everything he told us a lie, but he was created as a weapon to befriend humanity and conquer the planet.

What?!

This is the moment where everything in this issue completely clicks. While those in charge of JLA were trying to pull a fast one on its members, Martian Manhunter was pulling a fast one on all of them. It seems like the Martian invasion is all coming together, so when is this going to happen and will J'onn lead the way?

1. He Wants to Die

No Caption Provided

At this point, the reader views J'onn as more of a villain than a hero. We find out the conquering of Earth is coming much sooner than later and J'onn goes to visit Helen Demoff to ask for help, to kill him. Why is he doing this? Does he thing conquering the Earth is wrong? Does he have a soft-spot for us humans? If he stays alive, will he detonate like a bomb, killing all the people on the planet? There's so many questions that this leaves the reader.

All-in-all, MARTIAN MANHUNTER is really a game changer for J'onn J'onzz. Everything we thought we knew about this character is wrong in this new series and the direction is pretty nuts. There's probably more to all of this than the reader is presented here, but as far as a first issue goes, there's a lot here to keep readers interested in the story.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Very nice write up.

A dark story about Martian Manhunter.

Must get the issue ^_^

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed the issue quite a bit. Plan to hang around for at least the first arc.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hey I really like these articles you guys are doing

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Nice write up, I enjoyed this issue and am excited to see how this story develops :)

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By superhoodie

This first edition was amazing, both in art and writing.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds really great!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

great article. I can't believe MM is evil now.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you've kicked MMH out of the league to replace him with a token black character and completely f*cked with his origin story, but that's suppossed to be okay because.....GIANT SPACE DRAGON!!!!!!!!1

Considering his planetary level strength at base, its completely pointless to grow extra mass anyway. Its showing off, but I can't deny how cool it is.......

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew all of this. It happened when we first see him in Justice League. He fought the team to evaluate their strength to see if they could fend off the Invasion.

He then Joined Stormwatch because they all seemed to be a far more promising team. More mature and focused. Professional.

The preview announcement stating "Martians are everywhere" was furthur confirmation.

Surprised I was right though.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#10  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

So happy Manhunter finally got something awesome going again!!!!!

~MiB

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

So you've kicked MMH out of the league to replace him with a token black character and completely f*cked with his origin story, but that's suppossed to be okay because.....GIANT SPACE DRAGON!!!!!!!!1

Considering his planetary level strength at base, its completely pointless to grow extra mass anyway. Its showing off, but I can't deny how cool it is.......

DId you not read the book?

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I haven't picked up a DC book in a few years, I am really thinking about picking this up! looks great

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@laflux: You're just hating because you can't become a giant space dragon.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my favourite book of the week,

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

He did it because using his strength alone would have destroyed the plane, becoming bigger allows him to carry the plane with it being destroyed in the process.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Kidd

Off to a great start.

@laflux: The plane was crashing too fast, if he applied all his force on one spot the plane would of break like in Superman Return.

Edit: dn't see Dave comment.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
    @laflux said:

He did it because using his strength alone would have destroyed the plane, becoming bigger allows him to carry the plane with it being destroyed in the process.

Fair enough....... But why did he have to turn into a dragon :P

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

he was created as a weapon to befriend humanity and conquer the planet

...mother-f***ing New 52...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@laflux: The reason MM turns in to a dragon even though he's strong enough is explained

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: The reason MM turns in to a dragon even though he's strong enough is explained

I know why he grew bigger, but why a..... oh nevermind :p

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:
    @dondave said:
    @laflux said:

Fair enough....... But why did he have to turn into a dragon :P

The fact that it looks f*cking awesome.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This was excellent. I hope people start buying his comic.So far I would love to see 50 issues of MM.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By adamTRMM

Not sure why they decided to retcon his origins. Thoth isn't that good of an idea I guess.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Jesus Christ, this is just depressing stuff. And good. But still depressing. I think I'll have to watch some Magic School Bus tapes every time before I read Martian Manhunter.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I really didn't plan to pick up another DC book besides those three hilarious minis and the new Hellblazer but

1. MMH
    2. Someone just said "horror"!
    3. GIANT SPACE DRAGON
    micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally just decided to buy the issue.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have to check this out, I was gonna make the comment too that MM should be able to lift a plane, but it looks like that was explained. So it sound like him and Omni-man have some stuff in common...

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they've pretty much screwed J'onn in everyway possible. And no one will care of course.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great write up. I was kinda hoping MM was going to get an article when G man said another one was coming today.

Totally agree. First off I LOVED this issue. Being a fan of J'on I was hoping this would be good and it did not disappoint.

The art is amazing. But I'm not that surprised since I love Eddy Barrows pencils.

My favorite aspect is point number one of this article. The mood and atmosphere was really good. I wouldn't call it dark as much as creepy and suspenseful. I was getting chills as I read the scenes in Dubai and with that crippled kid. Really chilling.

I agree with point number two as well. I love that they didn't hold back on J'on's powers. One of my favorite moments were that dragon part. My jaw dropped and I mouthed "Holy s**t" when I saw that. Really cool.

The rest of the mysteries in this book like what is J'on's true intentions or who the heck is Mr. Biscuits is pretty intriguing as well.

All in all a great read. Only complaint is I wish this book would have been more pages. Cuz I cannot wait for more.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else get the feeling that this might actually set up a return to the Martian Manhunter status quo of depressing stories? Unless they intend to turn him into a full out villain, he'll end up betraying the invasion and become a lonely pariah. Considering how dark this book is, DC may even have him kill off all other Martians.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

Torn about this......it sounds interesting but it also sounds like it's completely getting rid of a lot of the things I love about J'onn (which I shouldn't be suprised about seeing as how it's been stated in the interviews.etc but still....)

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I would be shocked about the ''reveal'' but New52 has a depressing record of changing things for the worse or turning heroes into villianous backgrounds like Donna and now Jonn...

Mexican1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue i want a good christmas issue. Makes me happy

Mexican1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would anybody in here be interested in starting our own book club. Maybe monthly, start with east of west or something? Help getting it started not sure how to

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Sounds interesting

Avatar image for oldschoolavangers
    OldSchoolAvangers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the fist issue.

So hyped to see MMH vs supes

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This issue was awesome!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Does he still like Oreos?!

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LordDarkFox

Does he thing conquering the Earth is wrong?

think*

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By Onemoreposter

Does he still like Oreos?!

/\ Thats the real question we should be asking

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

If he wants to die, he could kill himself.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he wants to die, he could kill himself.

Maybe he doesn't know how. Pre-52 Martians were pretty much impossible to kill without fire and they may not even have that weakness in the New 52.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to seeing this story unfold.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the story was good, I can't get behind the aspect of J'onn being sent to conquer Earth. I knew it was probably coming. But this is the heart and soul of the Justice League we're talking about. This is just not kosher. Whether or not he decides to betray his Martian masters and defend the Earth doesn't matter. J'onn is not a spy. Someone really should start a lynch mob for the people at DC who decide to pull this crap!

Also, has it been confirmed that Mr. Biscuits is a Martian? With that drape covering his face, he could be pretty much anything. Also, I've never known Martians to snore from their armpits.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice write-up. This issue has "set-up for epic story" written all over it. Perhaps my favorite new DCYou title. I thought this was great.

I've only read a few small works of Rob Williams, but he's becoming one of my favorite writers out there...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.