Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Why Does DC Hate Martian Manhunter ?

sonofodin25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Since The New 52 Martain Manhunter has been turned into a D-List Character By DC.

- He Did Not Appear In Justice League: War or The Flashpoint Paradox

- Is Not In The Characters List on the official DC Site

- Replaced by Cyborg In The New 52

- Part Of A Rouge Justice League created by Amanda Waller with other D-List Characters

- Was Not Playable In Injustice: Gods Among Us (I know he was DLC but still)

What Do You Think is Going On With Him ?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

They don't hate him, they just felt they needed to make some changes.

1. He doesn't have any reason to appear in War except for maybe a small cameo. As for Flashpoint Paradox, His story apparently was not important enough to the event to include over another.

2.no excuse for this. He should be listed.

3.Cyborg has more unique themes/powers to offer the JL and he's a fav of Geoff Johns. He's also an ethnic minority thus adding racial diversity.

4.They wanted to put him on a Justice League where he wouldn't have to job to make Superman and others look good, his powers were also a perfect fit for the team. Besides only Vibe and maybe Katana were D-listers. The rest were solid b-listers.

5.DC has no control over the characters used in the game. Netherrealm saved him for DLC because they knew he would sell well.

sonofodin25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt While I see your points I respectfully disagree

1. The movie is about the origin of the Justice League. Martian Manhunter (and Aquaman for that matter) are original members of the Justice League and should be in that cartoon !

3. I believe Martian Manhunter offers more to the Justice League than Cyborg ever did. I can see you debating Personality Wise but Power-Wise ? No Way. Also couldn't Geoff Johns put in both Cyborg & Martian Manhunter. There's no limit on number of JL members.

4. Manhunter should never have to job to make superman look good in the 1st place. That's just bad writing.

5. Makes Sense

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenophobia, a non human looking alien

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#5  Edited By Black_Claw

Because DC is racist against Green skinned people.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonofodin25:

1. The origin is about the New 52 version of the Justice League of which DC is modeling all of their movies off of.

3. Multiple character makes it harder for writers to do multiple characters justice. The JL traditionally has a big/founding seven. They could/should have used MMH over Shazam but Geoff Johns seriously wants to create/push a friendship between Shazam and Cyborg.

4.I completely agree but dc doesn't want their most iconic character outshined in anyway which often results in Martian Manhunters power being downplayed.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@black_claw: this too. It's why Beast Boy is being played by a Red boy zomg

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

1. He doesn't have any reason to appear in War except for maybe a small cameo. His story apparently was not important enough to the event to include over another.

3.Cyborg has more unique themes/powers to offer the JL and he's a fav of Geoff Johns. He's also an ethnic minority thus adding racial diversity.

4.They wanted to put him on a Justice League where he wouldn't have to job to make Superman and others look good, his powers were also a perfect fit for the team. Besides only Vibe and maybe Katana were D-listers. The rest were solid b-listers.

5.DC has no control over the characters used in the game. Netherrealm saved him for DLC because they knew he would sell well.

agreed

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dum529001

Xenophobia, a non human looking alien

Seems about right.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because outside of comics he isn't an iconic character like Bats, Supes, WW, Flash, Aquaman, or even GL.

Because he is functionally too similar to Superman in a lot of ways, and DC has a billion Supes clones already.

Because he actually has a greater range of powers than Supes and therefore needs to be put in a position that both utilizes and challenges those powers.

Because he is and always will be leadership material and needs to be out of a group that already has too many leaders atm.

Because in the end DC needs a team that isn't JL or JL juvy squad. They needed a new team to evolve and run different kinds of stories with.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xargo

because DC is too f**king retarded to understand how to write complex characters

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I seriously think DC don't know what to do with him. Perhaps because they realise they created a character so multi-powered that if he cut loose they wouldn't need the rest of the JL! So they continually nerf him and make him play second fiddle....however he has a comic now and its great.

SemiLegalAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SemiLegalAlien

1. He doesn't have any reason to appear in War except for maybe a small cameo. As for Flashpoint Paradox, His story apparently was not important enough to the event to include over another.

I don't see why "racial diversity" should be an argument. He is a shape shifter, so they could have given him any race they wanted as alter ego.

Also it is not Martian Manhunter being ignored that upsets me the most - they even dare to insult the fans, who keep asking for his appearance in the DCCU: “How many people in the audience have heard of Martian Manhunter? How many people that raised their hands have ever been laid?” - David Goyer

Those are some hard words coming from a man who had major influence on two mediochre DC movies.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. However, if they hated him THAT much they might not have made him SO powerful.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@semilegalalien:

This post was a long time aago but ok....

1.Being able to disguise yourself as a certain race and actually being a certain race are not the same thing

2.yeah, that was a Dick move on Snyder part. Makes seeing BVS get shit on makes me feel better in a petty sort of way..

SemiLegalAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SemiLegalAlien

@avenging_x_bolt: Ups, didn't look at the date.

However, especially for the movies it is more important who plays the role when it comes to racial diversity than the role itself. So a decent black actor would do just as good as any other.

In the end it all depends on how fast fans will grow tired of dc movies. If the audience pays off long enough they'll use any character they can

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Ups, didn't look at the date.

However, especially for the movies it is more important who plays the role when it comes to racial diversity than the role itself.

So a decent black actor would do just as good as any other.

As far as movies alt media goes yes. not so much in comics

In the end it all depends on how fast fans will grow tired of dc movies. If the audience pays off long enough they'll use any character they can

true

breakfastclub1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By breakfastclub1

He doesn't sell.... whatever he use to represent for the 50s' 60's, people don't recognize anymore. I mentioned this on the- is the Martian Manhunter black thread- "You have to realize the time period that Martian Manhunter was created in. At that time in America an African American super hero would have never been accepted. It's obvious the his back story of being teleported her from Mars (Africa), never to be able to return is a direct reference to slaves being shipped over to the colonies. Yes, Martian Manhunter was the first African American super hero but they had to hide it. I'm actually quite surprised that no one actually fights for Martian Manhunter more, I mean it's so obvious. I suppose the recent push of Cyborg was D.C.'s trying to give African American children someone they can easily relate to. Honestly, Martian Manhunter reflects my grand parents of the 60's more than now. I think Cyborg is a lot more similar to the current African American culture." So the Martian Manhunter is a representation of a character that doesn't connect with the audiance anymore, thus, he isn't selling. Even the White and Green Martians are at peace in the new 52. It's sad that the roots of the character were lost in time, but I think his character will survive, he's one of the most powerful characters in all of D.C. and he will always have a place on the Justice League. I think his character is evolving with who his character ultimately reflects. But since that generation has ultimately left us, I suppose even the writers don't know what's going to happen next. A lot of our characters are going through transitional periods, from one image to the next.Besides another rewrite is always just another Crisis away right :)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're idiots

breakfastclub1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By breakfastclub1

....That too

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By jumpstart55
    • Ive never ever supported the idea of replacing Cyborg with Jonn Jonzz..
    • And i dont think DC hates him, they just have no idea what to do with him..
    breakfastclub1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D.C. not going a great job with Name Branding it's characters. Superman and batman are Icon's such deep rich material to work with. Even the flash has a great story to play with. Those three are so well developed, and to a lesser degree I believe the green lantern Hal Jordan, once he started his fall from grace. But lets face it Wonder Woman character hasn't been revolutionary in years, I think Static Shock has more potential than Black Lightening, Aqua Man.... I don't know what's wrong with Aqua Man, I just know its hard to focus on him outside of the Justice League. The Hawk man Hawk girl history is so confusing my head hurts thinking about it. Cyborg needs some serious development on his own. Green Arrow use to be revolutionary when he was working with green lantern.... and now what is he. There is so much talent (Potential) in the the D.C. roster. They just have to pick characters to work on and stick with them. I know they want to stick with the Justice League because its sells a lot of money, but all of these characters need development, new compelling stories on real life issues and maybe stronger villains. There are so many good stories inside of D.C. if they take the time to develop them. To be honest, their biggest competitor success is rooted around their top characters story lines being the same for so long that everyone knows them. All the continued changes in D.C. are making their characters histories and meanings so confusing to fans that you know even know the history of your character anymore. I mean everyone knows certain hero's origins, its marketed so well you can't forget them, but a lot of characters for the average reader you're just like...oh yeah I know that guy...and but I can't remember his origin. I cannot express how important getting TV cartoon shows for D.C. characters for are right now. I mean... most of these kids don't know the majority of the characters histories. They know Superman and Batman because its everywhere, and the cartoons that come out for everyone else are so watered down from the original intent of the character that I'd never suggest looking at them to understand a character. I think D.C.'s in trouble if they can't get other characters off the ground.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.