Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3630 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

MM Comic: Its great, so make sure you buy it!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I know I am speaking to the converted by posting this on the Martian Manhunter forum, but the new MM comic, two issues in, is shaping up to be one of DCs lesser known gems. Great art, a story with twists and turns and some great feats. I keep picking up this months issue, I like it so much! Actually, DC have really hit the mark with a lot of their Issue 41 and 42s...

So I just hope people buy it. It will be annoying if it doesn't sell, gets cancelled and then people whine that they want a MM comic back! Sales of Issue 1 were around 35,000 which is ok but nothing spectacular. I guess we need those sales to keep above the 20,000 mark for the comic to continue....here's hoping!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@bezza: So what do you think about the plot twist and backstory retcons to MMH in issue 2? That's one thing that has me uneasy about the series, despite how well written the characters are and the horror mystery tone is perfect for the story's direction.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Well, as I said on another thread on the MM forum, I am quite knew to the character and don't know a whole lot about his story, so I suppose any ret-conning is a bit lost on me...certainly not enough to spoil it for me.....I can understand it might upset longer standing fans of the character like yourself.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza: I'm a little dismayed by it, but I wouldn't say upset necessary. Other parts of the comic like the characters, backstory, mystery, art, and of course respecting J'onn's awesome power are done well enough that I can't say one big negative outweighs so many positives. But it is something I hold reservations about nonetheless.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dondave

@lvenger said:

@bezza: So what do you think about the plot twist and backstory retcons to MMH in issue 2? That's one thing that has me uneasy about the series, despite how well written the characters are and the horror mystery tone is perfect for the story's direction.

I'm not to fussed about the retcon, it's a totally different charcter from Pre-52 MMH. He shouldn't have to have the same origin.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:
    @lvenger said:

I'm not to fussed about the retcon, it's a totally different charcter from Pre-52 MMH. He shouldn't have to have the same origin.

I only started back with comics in 2013 and didn't read any of the two months of Convergence so all this new 52, pre and post, Flashpoint etc is over my head! I just like the comics and the stories and the MM one has started well IMO.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

@dondave: Maybe but removing his wife and family, the main reason he misses Mars and what he's lost, was a bitter pill to swallow for me in spite of all the good stuff Rob and Eddy have brought to this comic.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds Good.

Beata

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
    MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, MM seems OP. I'm open to being convinced, and there was a time where I openly 'hated' Supes as a character for being OP until I was convinced that he could still be interesting. I suppose the whole shape-shifting and mind-wiping parts of MM mean that I still try to avoid him where possible. What would be the best argument to change my opinion of MM?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dondave: Maybe but removing his wife and family, the main reason he misses Mars and what he's lost, was a bitter pill to swallow for me in spite of all the good stuff Rob and Eddy have brought to this comic.

Having it all have been a lie is an even greater devastation than just losing his family. Now he's lost a family that never truly existed and has now found out that he's nothing more than a weapon.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: well if you say so…and speaking of feats if you do happen to find any good PK feats you know where to send them (http://www.comicvine.com/martian-manhunter/4005-2047/forums/scans-of-martian-manhunter-using-psychokinesistele-1687137/#2)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will do...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: You make a compelling point even if I don't feel the same way. Nonetheless, as a fellow MMH fan, surely J'onn's new origin raises questions for you, as it has for me. Like how was J'onn created? How was he brainwashed with mental commands to infiltrate Earth's populace and pose as a hero? Or whether Manhunter is now more powerful than his fellow Martians as opposed to having average Martian powers in the Pre Flashpoint continuity?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dondave: You make a compelling point even if I don't feel the same way. Nonetheless, as a fellow MMH fan, surely J'onn's new origin raises questions for you, as it has for me. Like how was J'onn created? How was he brainwashed with mental commands to infiltrate Earth's populace and pose as a hero? Or whether Manhunter is now more powerful than his fellow Martians as opposed to having average Martian powers in the Pre Flashpoint continuity?

He may have just simply been overwhelmed by a contingent of White Martians.

Why would you think he's more powerful than his fellow Martians in the New 52?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

To me, MM seems OP. I'm open to being convinced, and there was a time where I openly 'hated' Supes as a character for being OP until I was convinced that he could still be interesting. I suppose the whole shape-shifting and mind-wiping parts of MM mean that I still try to avoid him where possible. What would be the best argument to change my opinion of MM?

Look no matter how strong a character is, his enemies are also as strong so its like calling Goku OP because he is stronger than Krillin. You may not relate to those characters to a physical level but an emotional one.

MMH is about an alien and as opposed to Superman not an adopted son, an immigrant who blended with the community but a true strange visitor (Superman's nickname suits MMH better). MMH is about making this new land your home even though you are so different than them. It is about staying good and true to yourself even through the hardships the new home brings and yada yada yada :P Every character can have meaning if the writers want to :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Just a guess that if he was created as a weapon, they might have enhanced his natural powers somehow. Though come to think of it, that would be just dumb in case he turned on them like he'll probably do in this comic.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By FlashKnight

Yes it is good. Let's show some support for the character and buy buy buy!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.