Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Justice League: Doom - Martian Manhunter question.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skunkstein

There will be spoilers below -

In the new Justice League: Doom film the Legion of Doom is creating a plan of how to eliminate/stop the JL. Ma'alefa'ak is trying to take out J'onn with some kind of flamable chemical that sets him on fire.. yadda, yadda, yadda... point is MM is set on fire and is running around all over the place in pain, eventually the fire is put out and J'onn returns to normal. Back to Ma'alefa'ak when he sees J'onn back to his former self he says something the lines of ''But he should be on fire for weeks'', this is where i get confused... Isnt fire supposed to Kill martians? Does it simply inhibit then? Not kill them?... that seems kinda stupid.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

Martians are only psychologically weak to fire, fire affects them the same way it would affect anyone else in comics. The Guardians implanted a safe guard in Martians that would force them to be petrified of fire in order to prevent them from ever becoming The Burning ever again (explained in the JLA series)

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skunkstein

@ArturoCalaKayVee:

Right.. okay, thanks for the answer... i have a few follow up questions then ;)

So Martians all essentially have arsonphobia (fear of fire)? When you say that ''fire affects them the same way it would affect anyone else in comics'' i assume it hurts like it would hurt me, but is that the same reason J'onn is able to ''tank'' the fire for as long as he does because of his crazy high natural durability? By the way.. would you happend to know what episode that is been explained.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

@Skunkstein: I would assume his durability to fire is on par with someone like superman. It doesn't really affect him but since J'onn is so scared of it, it sort've hurts him more since its mind raping him scared shitless. I don't recall where it's explained of why The Guardians did this to the Martians but I believe it's explained in the JLA story arc where J'onn lerans to get over his fear of fire. (Which is what causes him to transform into a Martians true state --The Burning.) Just search either The Burning or Fernus on CV or here and it will explain it better.

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mathematicscore

J'onn's weakness to fire has been portrayed a number of different ways, and it sounds like here they are following the more modern take, that it is mostly in his head and therefore mostly incapacitates him. You're right to be confused though, reading a silver age story and then a bronze age story and then a modern age story you'll get three different portrayals of the weakness.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By majestic99

@ArturoCalaKayVee: @mathematicscore: @Skunkstein:

Weakness of fire created by the Guardians:

No Caption Provided

Martian Manhunter overcoming that weakness:

No Caption Provided
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

@majestic99: Which leads him to becoming The Burning, a super evil dude. Point?

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By majestic99

@ArturoCalaKayVee:

I just wanted to show the scans to prove I wasn't making anything up.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@majestic99: Ahh, well, I knew Martians could over come their fear, so it didn't matter to me :P

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By majestic99

@ArturoCalaKayVee:

I just decided to put up scans for everyone who wanted proof. It's cool:)

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Kallarkz

Once again, Martian Manhunter only overcame a PARTIAL part of that fear. There are still fires that can harm him. (at least the pre-flashpoint M.M)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.