Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

Mark Millar Will Direct A Superhero Movie

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    I would say that Mark Millar is a very talented guy.  I've heard some tiny grumblings where some people might slightly disagree with that.  I've been enjoying just about everything he's been writing.  Now it appears that Millar is making a move in a new area.  On Saturday, he announced (via his Millarworld forums) that he will be directing a superhero movie.

Millar stated that this is "but one of several big surprises planned for next year and you'll hear a bit more about this in February when we start to release details."  Millar said he learned a lot from Kick-Ass and wants the creative freedom when it comes to making movies.  He doesn't want to bow down to the studios and have to make a pitch and try to get them to "love" him (he also mentions coming "close to this" with Superman).

Millar also plans to go the same route that Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn did by seeking out private investors for the movie.  Millar said that he hasn't revealed the plans that he has for this movie and that this could happen before War Heroes and American Jesus come to the big screen.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Do you like the idea of Mark Millar having creative control to make the movie he wants to see get made?  I wonder how this will interfere with his writing schedule.  I am very curious to see what he could do with complete control over a movie.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By welshguy

Not sure how to take this. I like some of his work (the Ultimates, the Civil War) hate others (his stint on the Authority) and find other work good in concept but lacking (Wanted). Maybe his style (not sure if he  has one really) could translate well to the big screen. All depends on the character he adapts I suppose. I shall have to wait and see. I mean, I dislike JJ Abrahms and hated the idea of him doing a Star Trek reboot. And the smug sod somehow manages to make it one of the best films I've seen all year so... let's give wee mark millar a chance. if he sucks, we can endlessly gripe about it on delightful forums like this

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't think it will make a big difference to the non-comic reading movie-going public.  They'll still go to watch it, and not know the difference.  A few critics like Jonathan Ross might be more biased in favour of his films, but over all as long as he does a half-decent job then I'm sure his fans will enjoy it.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

Also this way, us "comic fans" can't complain if things are extremely changed.  But then, there's no word whether this is an original concept for a hero that's already established.  Millar is such a tease.  First that Nemesis business, now this.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

I think he could make a good movie. I just wish we had more details.    

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By skaarason

millar can do no wrong !!!!

Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is interesting, because he seemed like he was more open to studio suggestions when it comes the page-to-screen translation (at least moreso than Alan Moore). I guess not so much.
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Well, after the way Wanted was butchered I can see why Millar wants to direct a Superhero movie. I shuddered at his Superman script.

Agent355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Agent355

maybe it's some of his work like Marvel 1985...or Chosen.  that would be a weird movie...

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

directing is not easy at all.  The only good thing to come out of this is that it'll stay truer to what he's written
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I don't know what qualifies him to direct a movie.

The Messanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Messanger

I say, let the man do what He wants.... You only live once right???

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.