Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

Favorite Comic Runs RESULTS: Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON vs. THE ULTIMATES

• 60 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This week, the Comic Vine community was forced to choose between two of Mark Millar's excellent elseworld stories. Did they side with his jaw-dropping "what if?" tale about Superman growing up in Russia... or did they support his epic revitalization of the Avengers? Prior to this match-up, "Favorite Comic Runs" usually had one story take a pretty strong lead over its competition. However, this battle between two great books was a much, much closer race. After four full days of voting, Comic Viners have finally declared a winner: SUPERMAN: RED SON.

No Caption Provided

While Millar spent two whole volumes establishing a brand new mythos for a new version of the Avengers, he was able to tell a stunning Superman elseworlds story in just three chapters. Not only did it capture the essence of the iconic character and provide a hugely entertaining course of events, but it also created a gripping and unique alternate universe. Batman and Woman Woman had excellent roles -- everyone loves Batmankoff, after all -- but the in-depth focus on Lex Luthor was downright superb. This is every bit as much of a Lex Luthor story as it is a Superman one. And the conclusion? It's certain to leave you speechless. This is often regarded as one of the "must read" Superman stories for a reason, Viners.

In the end, 48% of the community voted for the DC storyline. The Ultimates put up a solid fight and 43% of voters had its back. Meanwhile, 9% shamefully admitted they haven't read either story. Well, we at least hope this segment has motivated some of them to check these stories out.

Viner Post of the Week for SUPERMAN: RED SON is by Squalleon

"Red Son. I may be biased a little since it is a Superman story and a good at that.

What I love most about Red Son is the fact that it reflects the DC history. Superman is the first superhero and the center of the superhero world changing the DCU based on how he is different.

Even though the art is good, the biggest asset of RS is the story, the reimagining of this magnificent world in another era, familiar but different at the same time. The great supporting cast true to their original characters but with a nice twist, Batmankoff, Diana and especially Luthor. Luthor is a great villian, driven by jealousy and ready to prove by any means necessary that he is the best, proving that some things are the same no matter what the situation. And of course there is the twist in the last pages of the last issue changing the dynamic between Luthor and Superman and creating a fantastic ironic element.

On the other hand Ultimates is great too. With (subjectively) better art and while it is a nice reimagining of the classic Avengers, it doesn't have the same heart in it as RS. It does the same mistake every movie/book/comic does when it tries to be realistic, it makes everyone dark and edgy but it is a minor grip in the overall book which is a really good read and a book that I often find myself browse through."

No Caption Provided

There will be a new match on Monday, but seeing as we're so nice and all that, we're going to give you a teaser. It's just a small sample of the image that'll be used in next week's article. Be the first person to guess both stories correctly and we'll give you some praise in Monday's article. Oh, and please only post your guess after you think you can identify both of the stories. Anyway, let the guessing games begin! Don't forget to check the homepage on Monday to vote for the next match-up.

No Caption Provided

Want to suggest a writer and two of their stories for the segment? Tell us below or send it via Twitter.

erikhandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, the left one seems like Death of the Family

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Excellent work comrades

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Death of the Family and something something something dark side... I don't know

space4rentt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

death of the family and the black mirror!

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Death of the Family and something something something dark side... I don't know

Death of The Family And Black Mirror

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of the Family vs Black Mirror.

Next one's gonna be about Snyder's run

pcaluban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pcaluban

The URL is titled "xmenteaser"

Intriguing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of the Family and The Black Mirror

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jhole

Death of the family and the black mirror I think

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of the family and the black mirror I think

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yup, Death of Family and Black Mirror

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god damn it, I totally posted that first but it delayed it for some reason >:- (

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am really glad Red Son won and I won't lie I am very happy I got post of the week :-)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I am glad that Red Son won.And also the teaser has to be Death of the Family and The Black Mirror.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

My all time favorite story won. The feels are great.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Mirror should win since Death of The Family was the most horrible story of the New 52.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vitality

I have to ask...how can a "what if?" story ever be classified as a "must read".

That makes no sense.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality said:

That makes no sense.

A good story is a good story, simple as that.
    Just because it isn't canon it doesn't mean it's not a great read. Superman: Red Son can give you a perfect Idea about Superman's world.
    For example you can see that no matter how he grew up some things never change or Luthor is destined to be his villian.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vitality

@vitality said:

That makes no sense.

A good story is a good story, simple as that.

Just because it isn't canon it doesn't mean it's not a great read. Superman: Red Son can give you a perfect Idea about Superman's world.

For example you can see that no matter how he grew up some things never change or Luthor is destined to be his villian.

Yeah, I understand a good story is a good story. I guess I always just assumed that a "must read" when it comes to comics means that it's a story that has something major to do with the canon story of a character or characters.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@vitality: It's a "must read" not a "must read if you want to keep up with continuity." Why would All Star Superman be revered as a must read (and probably my favorite comic book story of all time) if it's not canon? Because it's about the character. If you like this character, or consider yourself a fan, you must read this. You'll love it. It's that simple.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death of the Family was a dud, Black Mirror was better in every possible way.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay, Red Son Won! Next week should have some good argument's.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I went with Red Son. I'm just a bigger Elseworlds fan than I am an Ultimate Universe fan.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put some effort into my argument. It didn't pay off--at all.

Happy Friday!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Captain13

Any chance of seeing another fight poll?

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone please explain how a book being 'dark' and 'edgy' is by default a bad thing?????????????

When did dark become synonymous with bad?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Ooooh, I'm definitely making a great comment for next week.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Can someone please explain how a book being 'dark' and 'edgy' is by default a bad thing?????????????

When did dark become synonymous with bad?

Being dark isn't bad. Doing it wrong is.

The word "edgy" when a story is being dark and edgy for the sake of it. No real substance behind it.

BB

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I put some effort into my argument. It didn't pay off--at all.

Happy Friday!

Don't be so sure of that. Red Son had a significant lead and, as the week progressed, Ultimates caught up. A good majority of the voters don't actually post, but it's very possible they read the arguments made for both sides before doing so.

Re: fights. Batman Battle of the Month is next week.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: Hmmmm. I guess I can see what you are saying. However have you not seen a lot of usage of 'dark' being a synonym for bad? I know I have. In contrast I don't think I have ever seen someone say 'This book was fun' and have it be a gripe. Can fun be done poorly? Just a thought.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: Hmmmm. I guess I can see what you are saying. However have you not seen a lot of usage of 'dark' being a synonym for bad? I know I have. In contrast I don't think I have ever seen someone say 'This book was fun' and have it be a gripe. Can fun be done poorly? Just a thought.

Lobdell goes for "Fun" books. No one enjoys them though...

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say, I'm really loving this feature.

Not surprised to see that Red Son won (Spoiler: It's an awesome read), despite having voted for The Ultimates.

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it should have been Black Mirror vs. Court of Owls, but I understand why Death of the Family was chosen.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is polarizing. But I doubt people dislike him strictly on the basis that he is fun. As people tend to do when things are dark.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kidchipotle

If the next poll is Black Mirror vs Death of the Family then I hope BM literally stomps. That was a great story while DotF was a plain failure. /INTENSE POST/

Red Son deserved to win. It was a master reimagery of Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is polarizing. But I doubt people dislike him strictly on the basis that he is fun. As people tend to do when things are dark.

No I meant he goes for "Fun", not that people hate him because of that. Also polarizing is Mark Waid's Daredevil run (who is an excellent writer) and you know why? Because it is fun! Just ask @jonny_anonymous

The reason people don't complain about fun books is because there aren't much.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultron345 said:

No I meant he goes for "Fun", not that people hate him because of that. Also polarizing is Mark Waid's Daredevil run (who is an excellent writer) and you know why? Because it is fun! Just ask @jonny_anonymous

I hate fun!

jk

I hate Waids DD because there is already plenty of goofy superhero books out there but DD was the last proper street crime noir book (but now we have Punisher and Moon Knight back so my fires of hatred aren't so hot now)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Waids DD because there is already plenty of goofy superhero books out there but DD was the last proper street crime noir book (but now we have Punisher and Moon Knight back so my fires of hatred aren't so hot now)

Can you recommend any? I like fun :-)

Also I just finished Bendis' Moon Knight, It was great! I love it for the same reason I hate his All-new X-men: the dialogue.
    It fits Moon Knight's theme and story but in X-men it is just dragging and repeating.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ultron345

@ultron345 said:

Fair enough. Still think the stigma is utterly ridiculous.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

Can you recommend any? I like fun :-)

Also I just finished Bendis' Moon Knight, It was great! I love it for the same reason I hate his All-new X-men: the dialogue.

It fits Moon Knight's theme and story but in X-men it is just dragging and repeating.

All of them that isn't from DC really.

Yea Bendis's run is amazing, the dialogue is great in it because it's really snappy like this:

Loading Video...

Now you really need to jump straight to Brubakers run.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Squalleon

@jonny_anonymous: I will. I enjoyed this character very much, I will probably read the new ongoing.

Fair enough. Still think the stigma is utterly ridiculous.

I will just add something. For which titles have you seen people complain? There are some heroes where going dark is a foolish option. Superman is a prime example. DC seems to want to abandon the core of Superman. Which literally IS fun.Superman was always fun and I don't mean boy-scoutish or good etc but fun in its purest form. For characters like him, going dark is wrong.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Basically the entire line at DC at one point or another people have complained because it's dark, besides batman cuz......... well duh he's batman. You and I also have differing opinions on what the core of Superman is. I wouldn't want a 'dark' superman either but serious story lines are completely acceptable for Superman to me and for my taste preferable.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Squalleon

@ultron345: Serious and fun can go together.
    Just look at All Star Superman. Superman was at his most popular during SA there is a reason for that. Also even in the GA were Superheroes were still in development, Superman was a fun story full of action.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I don't want to get into ancient history about what was popular 20-40 years ago. Btw this conversation has gotten off track drastically. I am NOT against fun in a book. I am against having a dark tone in a book making it automatically bad.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.