Follow

Mark Millar

Person » Mark Millar is credited in 1245 issues.

Mark Millar is a comic writer known best for his work on The Authority, and many flagship titles for Marvel, and the hugely successful Civil War storyline. He is currently focusing on creator-owned work.

Do you like Wanted? Why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I'm doing a bit of research for a review I'm writing on Mark Millar's Wanted, and I was wondering if anyone here on the forums enjoyed the comic, and why. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@squares: I am a pretty big fan of the movie, seen it several times. I just finished reading the book now.... it was strange. Wesley was a lot more heroic in the movie. The book was kinda messed up, too messed up for my liking. The rape and murder coming from the so called "hero" of the story was sicking. There was just too much "out there" stuff, kryptonite condom. The action itself was pretty good, but it didn't make up for the terrible "humor" this book supposedly had. Seriously there were characters called F*ckwit and Sh!thead, was that supposed to be funny? All in all in was pretty terrible, but I admit I did get a laugh outta the stupidity of the last page. "This is my face while I am f*cking you in the @ss" wow......

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't like Millar as a person and have a massive bias against his works because of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: Fair enough.

@allstarsuperman: Yeah, that's essentially most of my beef with it too. Never seen the movie, but I'm actually seriously considering tracking it down now.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TimeLordScience

@squares said:

@allstarsuperman: Yeah, that's essentially most of my beef with it too. Never seen the movie, but I'm actually seriously considering tracking it down now.

Have you seen some of his comments about women in comics and rape in comics? It's pretty disgusting.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Millar as a person and have a massive bias against his works because of it.

What do you have against him?

Personally, I cant really take the most of his writing. And he will always be for me the man who killed the NW.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TimeLordScience

@waezi2 said:

@timelordscience said:

What do you have against him?

Personally, I cant really take the most of his writing. And he will always be for me the man who killed the NW.

Basically this:

http://comicsalliance.com/mark-millar-rape-kick-ass-2/

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By waezi2

@squares: Did you write the review? Do you want to hear my opinion of the series?

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: kickass isn't that bad, just look past that one scene. @waezi2: I am interested in your opinion. @squares: its a million times better, very different as well.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By waezi2

@allstarsuperman:

I dont like it.

I don't know if I hate it, hate require some kind of passion for the theme of the comic in the first place. But it was annoying to read because, well... ITS BORING! It doesn't do anything to me. Its just Millar trying to be deep and funny(and he fails at it here).

The problem is that Millar put the whole "villains are nasty people" theme on a little too thick. And the fact that the slug-fest drowns the philosophy doesn't help. Again, I dont think this was suppose to be Watchmen, but rather a action-flick. So my criticism may not be fair.

One moment of the comic I actually kinda liked was the death of the professor. When we meet him, he seems like a okay guy, besides the fact that he is, you know, evil. He says that his only interest in the super-villain business is getting the money necessary for his research, so he is more like the "the cause justifies the means" kind of guy.

And then we hear him say that he wants under-age prostitutes, and all possibilities of having any kind of sympathy for this guy is gone. And THAT makes his death a tiny bit less horrifying. And its only after you put the issue away that you realize this.

But besides that, its hard to take the series serious. Shithead? Two-Dicks? Really?

So in theory, instead of reading Wanted, you could read this: http://www.comicsin5panels.blogspot.dk/2013/08/wanted-in-5-panels.html

But really, its a question of preference.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really liked the movie. I like Millar as a writer. I've read issue 1 for free on ComiXology and thought it was okay. So...don't have much of an opinion on the matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Yes, I wrote the review.

@squares said:

Have you seen some of his comments about women in comics and rape in comics? It's pretty disgusting.

Yeah, I have, not sure what to make of it.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i like stories where the bad guys won , and get beaten eventually. AoA (90s only!!!), flashpoint, old man logan, the exiles series .

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Uh, sure, it's uploaded to CV. I reviewed each issue individually.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I like Millar as well, but this must be thee comic that gets him hated.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee: I like Millar as well, but this must be thee comic that gets him hated.

Really? I'm going to have to check the rest of it out then, I'm curious why that is.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By waezi2
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Haven't read the comic, but Wanted (2008) is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The characters are annoying and bland, the plot makes NO sense and I can name at least 14 holes right on the spot, most of the story is bits and pieces of rip offs of better films (Minority Report, The Empire Strikes Back, Fight Club, Transformers, The Matrix, e.t.c) the ending is maybe the most illogical I have ever seen in a film, the dialogue is terrible, it's sexist, mean spirited, overly violent and BORING!! I HATED Wanted, I HATED it. I hate it SO MUCH, it is JUST as bad as Batman & Robin in my opinion.

*gasps*

Yeah, I said it, I hate this movie THAT much.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: The movie was boring, but still better than Push (2009) or (Jumper 2008). It didn't work out like the other two but at least hollywood was trying to dip their feet in the indie hero market.

The comic books where way better though.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@dngn4774: I feel like Wanted is just as bad as the other two, and at least in Jumper the lead looked like he was having fun with the role and would thus be the only reason anyone could even think about possibly maybe going to go see it. Haven't read the comics but from what I've heard, the movie wasn't faithful at all.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By del_torro

I liked it as a cheap laugh, nothing serious or life changing. The we're so bad as and evil was over the top and too in your face. Not a bad book, but nothing that brings tears to my eyes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.