Follow

Maria Hill

Character » Maria Hill appears in 1319 issues.

Maria Hill was the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. after Nick Fury went awol. She now supervises the Avengers on behalf of Steve Rogers.

Cobie Smulders Reveals Maria Hill Character Adjustment [UPDATE]

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey
    No Caption Provided

How I Met Your Mother's star, Cobie Smulders, will be playing Maria Hill in The Avengers film next year. In a recent interview with NYMAG the actress let a major character adjustment slip:

You're also getting into action with Joss Whedon's The Avengers. Before he cast you in that, he said he was considering you for a Wonder Woman project. So he’s clearly a fan. Did he ever tell you why?
    No! If he did, I would throw up in my mouth. I mean, the Wonder Woman thing was a very kind comment, I think. I was never in touch with studios about it or anything like that. But we had so much fun shooting [The Avengers]. We had days when it was just us working — and, oh, 200 extras — but, you know, in the inner circle, it was nice to sit by the monitor with him and watch him take on this ginormous project with great ease.
    You’re not a superhero in the movie, but you do have sick costumes?
    I do. They’re very sleek, and very leather. And she has superpowers and is hyperintelligent; a very nice, fine woman who has all the answers.

Superpowers and Hyperintelligent? For those of you who don't know Maria Hill is originally a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who eventually takes on the role of SHIELD Director and later on the Avengers' supervisor. As far as I know, none of her comic books appearances showcases her with powers so this is a really interesting change to the movie.

Skrull and Secret Invasion rumors have been going around for a while now and reading this interview made me think of something. If the rumors are true, could it be that Maria Hill is a skrull?

The Avengers will premiere May 4, 2012.

UPDATE

NYMAG updated their interview with Cobie Smulders to clarify that he character does not have superpowers:

You’re not a superhero in the movie, but you do have sick costumes?I do. They’re very sleek, and very leather. And if she had a superpower it would be that she is hyperintelligent; a very nice, fine woman who has all the answers.*
    *This quote has been updated to show that Smulders didn't mean to suggest that her Avengers character has superpowers.

I guess my Skrull hypothesis is no longer plausible.

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By Deadcool

She doesn't look like Maria...But oh well...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Hmm superpowers? I hope she does turn out to be a skrull.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

Maybe she's just cybernetic. Keeps her brain connected to the SHIELD mainframe so Fury always has access to anything. That I could see for the Avengers movie.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Superguy0009e

maybe...shes CORN!!!!!

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RainEffect

@Deadcool said:

Heath Ledger didn't look like the Joker, but look how that turned out.

I think she looks very convincing, having read a lot of issues with Hill as a supporting character.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

It'd be an interesting twist if this went the route of Secret Invasion and she was the Skrull Queen.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By Deadcool

@RainEffect said:

@Deadcool said:

Heath Ledger didn't look like the Joker, but look how that turned out.

I think she looks very convincing, having read a lot of issues with Hill as a supporting character.

The joker is an undefined character everything can make the character better, and it was good just because Heath Ledger is a good actor...

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sora_thekey

UPDATED

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.