Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

how fine is his control?

• 84 results
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

in a random topic i was reading it was brought to my attention that Magneto controls "All forms of magnetism", including Electromagnetism and in turn electrodynamics.

is this true?

if so, Magneto is way above Phoenix levels in power, is his control over the power of Magnetism that fine?

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Methos

wow... if that is the case then he definitely is Omega...

he could rip atoms apart disintegrating people instantly...

heh... Magneto would own Superman lol

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

For all intensive purposes, Magneto's power is limitless. He has all the necessary components to be considered an Omega Level mutant. He can control ALL forms of magnetism, this includes, projecting or manipulating any form of energy that is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, including visible light, radio waves, ultraviolet light, gamma rays, and x-rays.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

dunno...

i'm just theorizing as to the actual extent and control of Magneto's powers...

in effect he could alter the electromagnetic spectrum of light, shifting it up to Red and nullifying Superman's powers before impaling him on a spike... that would work lol

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

As of now he has no powers. But its believed they will be restored. I still don't think he could take Superman, his reaction time isn't anywhere near Superman's speed. If he already had his magnetic force field up, I dont know if Superman could break threw it or not, and if he could, how long it would take.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Gambler says:

"As of now he has no powers. But its believed they will be restored. I still don't think he could take Superman, his reaction time isn't anywhere near Superman's speed. If he already had his magnetic force field up, I dont know if Superman could break threw it or not, and if he could, how long it would take."

No powers? When did he lose them? I must have missed it.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Methos says:

"i'm just theorizing as to the actual extent and control of Magneto's powers..."

Yes, it's truly ridiculous, it's just that they rarely take it that far. One "in character" reason that he doesn't go all crazy is because of his physical health (he's an old dude and his powers, like most mutants, rely on how healthy he is).

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Methos

I actually have more respect for Magneto now...

not because he's more powerful, but because the writers have kept him around for so long and managed to keep his power base versatile enough for some interesting stories...

i will have to read more into him :D

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Buckshot says:

"Methos says:
    "i'm just theorizing as to the actual extent and control of Magneto's powers..."

Yes, it's truly ridiculous, it's just that they rarely take it that far. One "in character" reason that he doesn't go all crazy is because of his physical health (he's an old dude and his powers, like most mutants, rely on how healthy he is). "

Thats an excellent point. That ties into the mutant Joseph, who was a younger clone of Magneto. He died when he used his full power to stop the real Magneto.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Buckshot says:

"Gambler says:
    "As of now he has no powers. But its believed they will be restored. I still don't think he could take Superman, his reaction time isn't anywhere near Superman's speed. If he already had his magnetic force field up, I dont know if Superman could break threw it or not, and if he could, how long it would take."

No powers? When did he lose them? I must have missed it."

After Decimation M.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Methos

exactly how old is Magneto?

i know he's old, but how old?

M

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Gambler says:

"After Decimation M."

He got em back after that, from the Collective. I thought there was some question about if he still has what he got from that, I didn't know it was confirmed that they're all gone again.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Methos

66... hmmm... past his prime but still kicking...

good age for a villain :D

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Buckshot says:

"Gambler says:
    "After Decimation M."

He got em back after that, from the Collective. I thought there was some question about if he still has what he got from that, I didn't know it was confirmed that they're all gone again."

At the start of the Messiah Complex he doesn't have em. He's not even a mutant until Dazzler or Meltdown, one of those blond secondary characters tells him that according to the Destiny Dairies, he's still a mutant. Its like a revelation that he's still a mutant.
    Post Edited:2007-11-26 04:46:27

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Methos

hmmm... intriguing...

M

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pania

Post Deleted.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pania

Actually, Magneto cannot approach Phoenix because the Phoenix control life force itself. Electromagnetism is only one of the Four Foundation Forces of the Universe, the phoenix has been shown to control all four plus life itself. There is also the matter of scale. Phoenix can eat a star with ease. Magneto's need mechanical assistance to manipulate the EM field on a planetary scale. So while he can do a heck of a lot, he can't do it on the same scale the Phoenix can.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19  Edited By Vrakmul

Is Magneto capable of controlling a magnatar? A Magnatar is a neutron star that came from a star that would normally make a black hole but the star ejected alot of mass before going supernova creating a magnatar which creates as much magnetic force as a black hole can create gravity.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Valkaad

"What should not be underrated is his scientific genius. Magneto is an expert in genetic manipulation, with knowledge far beyond contemporary science. He can mutate humans in order to give them superhuman powers or create adult clones whose genetic structure he can manipulate during the development. He even learned how to create aritificial living beings." He has even designed magnetically powered spacecraft.

"Magneto has exhibited powers of astral projection and telepathy and claims to be able to control the minds of others."

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pania

Magneto is chronologically in his early 80s. (He entered Auschwitz as a preteen or very young teen). However, when he was in his late 50's/early 60's he was reduced to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant. Later he was re-aged into the "prime of his life" (meaning twenties) by the Shi-ar Agent Eric the Red. At the time of the "Trail of Magneto" in Uncanny #200, he was medically established as being physically in his early thirties.

Given the the original team of X-Men are just turning thirty within the last couple years, Magneto is physically in his early forties at the most (the silver hair and the movie throws a lot of people off).

To add to what has been said about powers, Magneto has been shown to be able to manipulte matter on a sub-atomic scale (Classic X-Men #19, Uncanny X-Men #211) which makes sense as it is electromagnetic bonds that makes up the structure of atoms and molecules. (However, it takes a lot of focus and effort for him to do this, so it is not something he would attempt in a combat situation.) And he has gone so far as to manipulate space-time by creating traversable wormholes in Excalibur Vol. 3.

I don't know if he can control somethng as powerful as a magnatar. He has trouble managing the entire planetary Em field. (Though he was managing it, and fighting off Joesph and the X-Men at the same time during magneto War)

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pania

"Magneto has exhibited powers of astral projection and telepathy and claims to be able to control the minds of others."

There is a lot of debate about this in the Magneto circle of fans. He has been shown to control the minds of others, but only through the use of technology he placed in his helmet. Alone he has proven himself capable of astral projection, veru powerful mental shielding from telepathic attack, and empathic sympathy (such as with the new Mutants), but not true telepathy. It is possible these two feats are the result of a latent telepathy (as put forth by Jim Shooter in Secret Wars I) or simply the case of Magneto having an indomitable will combined with psychic training such as Dr. Starnge has. (Though not to the degree that Dr. Strange has of course.)

Avatar image for thee_dark_knight
    Thee Dark Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Thee Dark Knight

Pania says:

"Magneto is chronologically in his early 80s. (He entered Auschwitz as a preteen or very young teen). However, when he was in his late 50's/early 60's he was reduced to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant. Later he was re-aged into the "prime of his life" (meaning twenties) by the Shi-ar Agent Eric the Red. At the time of the "Trail of Magneto" in Uncanny #200, he was medically established as being physically in his early thirties.Given the the original team of X-Men are just turning thirty within the last couple years, Magneto is physically in his early forties at the most (the silver hair and the movie throws a lot of people off).To add to what has been said about powers, Magneto has been shown to be able to manipulte matter on a sub-atomic scale (Classic X-Men #19, Uncanny X-Men #211) which makes sense as it is electromagnetic bonds that makes up the structure of atoms and molecules. (However, it takes a lot of focus and effort for him to do this, so it is not something he would attempt in a combat situation.) And he has gone so far as to manipulate space-time by creating traversable wormholes in Excalibur Vol. 3.I don't know if he can control somethng as powerful as a magnatar. He has trouble managing the entire planetary Em field. (Though he was managing it, and fighting off Joesph and the X-Men at the same time during magneto War)"

He was turned into a child on the Savage Land. He's alot younger then 80. I put him at around 40 to 50

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vrakmul

To note. The earth's magnetic field is weaker than your ordinary magnet the field is just very very big so radiation has to take a long a$$ journey to get here.

The sun's magnetic field is twice as strong as ours Still whimpy.

Jupiter's is at the very least at it's very weakest 14 times stronger than ours Or was it the sun's? So a pretty strong field there.

A sunspot's field is thousands of times stronger than ours so that's very powerful.

A average stellar mass magnatar however, has fields that make sunspots look like weaklings, They are millions of times stronger, In fact their Magnetism exerts more force than it's gravity, far more. If it were to enter the earth's proximity, You could expect nearly all iron, colbalt, and nickel to go flying away.

So That's a brief scale to measure the magnetic fields by and see how impressive a magnetic master's talents are.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pania

Errr. Yes and no. As I said, CHRONOLOGICALLY the man in in his early 80's (he entered Auschwitz as a preteen or very young teen (New Mutants #49), making his birthdate sometime in the 1920's). PHYSICALLY he is in his early 40's at the most because he was reduced to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate mutant in Defenders #16 and then re-aged in Uncanny #104 to "the prime of his life" (read twenties) by Eric the Red. As of Uncanny #200, it was stated that "...medically Magneto is a man in his early 30's".

Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mink

ive never heard that about magneto, but if someone showed me proof, id believe it.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pania

Heard what?

Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mink

Pania says:

"Heard what?"

that he was that strong

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Mink says:

"Pania says:
    "Heard what?"

that he was that strong"

Pick up a comic.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pania

Oh heck yes.

Xavier said in Excalibur Vol. three that Magneto may not know his own limits because he might not have limits (and he was playing with space-time in creating traversable wormholes in that one).

But he has also warped the planetary EM field (Uncanny #150 and Magneto War), created planet wide EMP's by himself (Fatal Attractions), manipulated matter on a sub atomic scale (Uncanny #211 and classic X-Men #19), built three Asteroid M's in space by himself, almost killed Storm with her own lightening (Uncanny X-men #150), reflected Mjolnir back at Thor (a couple times in both silver age and X-Men vs. Avengers mini), heated metal to both the point is has melted and exploded (Uncanny #104), used infrared, x-rays (both part of the EM spectrum), etc. etc.

It goes waaaay beyond manipulting metal.

Thing is if you look at science, there really isn't just magnetism. It's always classified as Electromagnetism, you really don't get one without the other. And Electromagnetism, along with Strong and Weak Nuclear bonds and Gravity, is one of the Four Foundation Forces of the Universe. One of the four basic energies/interactions which make up all physics in the Universe. Electromagnetism is the most readily visible in action in day to day life. It's governs a lot of physics.

So Magneto is crazy powerful.

I don't think Stan Lee intended for him to be that powerful, but as our understanding of science has grown, so has the application of having control over electromagnetism.

But the trick of course is that Magneto has two Achilles heels. He literally is crazy powerful. If he uses his power on massive scales, it creates chemical imbalances in his brain which drive him insane. Also, because he routs his power through his nervous system, when he is injured, such as having a broken arm, it dampens his ability to use his power because his nervous system can't take the load. Plus he also gets migraines.

So powerful, but not invincible.
    Post Edited:2007-11-27 00:02:40

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Pania says:

"Oh heck yes.Xavier said in Excalibur Vol. three that Magneto may not know his own limits because he might not have limits (and he was playing with space-time in creating traversable wormholes in that one).But he has also warped the planetary EM field (Uncanny #150 and Magneto War), created planet wide EMP's by himself (Fatal Attractions), manipulated matter on a sub atomic scale (Uncanny #211 and classic X-Men #19), built three Asteroid M's in space by himself, almost killed Storm with her own lightening (Uncanny X-men #150), reflected Mjolnir back at Thor (a couple times in both silver age and X-Men vs. Avengers mini), heated metal to both the point is has melted and exploded (Uncanny #104), used infrared, x-rays (both part of the EM spectrum), etc. etc.It goes waaaay beyond manipulting metal.Thing is if you look at science, there really isn't just magnetism. It's always classified as Electromagnetism, you really don't get one without the other. And Electromagnetism, along with Strong and Weak Nuclear bonds and Gravity, is one of the Four Foundation Forces of the Universe. One of the four basic energies/interactions which make up all physics in the Universe. Electromagnetism is the most readily visible in action in day to day life. It's governs a lot of physics.So Magneto is crazy powerful.I don't think Stan Lee intended for him to be *hat* powerful, but as our understanding of science has grown, so has the application of having control over electromagnetism.But the trick of course is that Magneto has two Achilles heels. He literally is crazy powerful. If he uses his power on massive scaled, it creates chemical imbalances in his brain which drive him insane. Also, because he routs his power through his nervous system, when he is injured, such as having a broken arm, it dampens his ability to use his power because his nervous system can't take the train. Plus he also gets migraines.So powerful, but not invincible. "

Great post.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pania

And I didn't even include the manipulating the iron in the blood stream trick. ;-)

And I think he has shielded himself from a nuclear blast once.

Thanks. :-)
    Post Edited:2007-11-27 00:08:01

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pania

And the guy has chucked around nuclear submarines, trains and a large cargo ship weighing hundreds of tons.

Actually , for a while in the 1980's, they were saying Magneto was starting to play around with gravity and his entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1984) notes this and says "He may potentially be walking proof of the Unified Field Theory that all forms of energy are interrelated."

However, I don't think the writers knew about the applications of dimagnetism at that point (which would be how Magneto manipulates non-ferrous objects), and well, he is damn powerful enough without that. chuckle They seemed to have backed away from the gravity thing.

Anyway, it's no wonder the X-Men get a little panicky whenever Mags shows up.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Phorqe

Magneto's powers are pretty much only limited by his physical stamina.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I cant wait to see his role in Messiah Complex.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Phorqe says:

"Magneto's powers are pretty much only limited by his physical stamina."
    I thought his powers were psionic like Storm's.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pania

According to Mike Carey, none.

He said in an interview that "Magento is peripheral to the entire Messiah CompleX schema."

And if you can explain how that makes any sense, you win a shiny new internets.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Pania says:

"According to Mike Carey, none.He said in an interview that "Magento is peripheral to the entire Messiah CompleX schema."And if you can explain how that makes any sense, you win a shiny new internets. "

He's already involved. He's in the Destiny Dairies.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Phorqe

White Mage says:

"Phorqe says:
    "Magneto's powers are pretty much only limited by his physical stamina."
    I thought his powers were psionic like Storm's."

I do recall a few times when he was weakened in fights and over exerted. this is from CV's Magento page:
    Magneto must channel these fields through his nervous system and if he is injured his ability to channel large amounts of force and wield forces beyond magnetism is greatly hampered. His paralyzation following the events of Eve of Destruction, for instance, left him almost completely powerless. By using his power on vast scales, such as lifting and building Asteroid M, he has frequently overloaded his nervous system, creating a chemical imbalance which some have theorized leads to his megalomaniacial episodes. On a couple occasions he has burned his abilities out completely through overuse, falling back on machines or other mutants to boost his powers until he can find a way to regenerate them.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pania

"I thought his powers were psionic like Storm's."

They aren't. X-Men Unlimited #2 shows a medical scan Moira took of him while he was a member of the X-Men and it says that he routes his power through his entire nervous system and actually controls it from extra links between his pons and medulla oblongata, both of which are part of the autonomic nervous system.

As a side bene: His personal EM field is analogous to the planetary EM field to .003%, his bioelectrical process are increased by 17,000% above normal and his neural synapse firing rate is 1,450% above normal. Which makes his reaction times insane.

(Which explains how he was able to pluck Northstar out of the air with his hand in Eve of Destruction.)
    Post Edited:2007-11-27 00:41:41

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Pania says:

""I thought his powers were psionic like Storm's." They aren't. X-Men Unlimited #2 shows a medical scan Moira took of him while he was a member of the X-Men and it says that he routes his power through his entire nervous system and actually controls it from extra links between his pons and medulla oblongata, both of which are part of the autonomic nervous system. As a side bene: His personal EM field is analogous to the planetary EM field to .003%, his bioelectrical process are increased by 17,000% above normal and his neural synapse firing rate is 14,500% above normal. Which makes his reaction times insane. (Which explains how he was able to pluck Northstar out of the air with his hand in Eve of Destruction.)"
    Oh. No wonder he's so ripped for his age. LOL
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pania

"He's already involved. He's in the Destiny Dairies."

He's in Qwertzy's diaries (Brubaker's storyline, which annoying ran at the same time Cary's "search for a prophetic books" did.), I don't think there has been a mention of him in Destiny's Diaries.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pania

"Oh. No wonder he's so ripped for his age. LOL"

Well, physically the guy is only in his early 40's at the most, as I explained above.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Phorqe

Pania says:

""I do recall a few times when he was weakened in fights and over exerted."Yeah, such as after Magneto War while trying to hold the planetary EM field together and fight off Joseph and the X-Men he burned his nervous system out to the extent he had to rely on Cortez and later Polaris to cover for him. It wasn't until he "reconstituted his DNA" in Dark Seduction that he got his power back to it's normal levels.It was also hinted that he was losing his powers through overuses before his regression to infancy By Alpha back in the day. He was using machine to boost his abilities and had take to carrying firearms. "

Are you a human or a Marvel comics super computer reference book?

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pania

"I do recall a few times when he was weakened in fights and over exerted."

Yeah, such as after Magneto War while trying to hold the planetary EM field together and fight off Joseph and the X-Men he burned his nervous system out to the extent he had to rely on Cortez and later Polaris to cover for him. It wasn't until he "reconstituted his DNA" in Dark Seduction that he got his power back to it's normal levels.

It was also hinted that he was losing his powers through overuses before his regression to infancy By Alpha back in the day. He was using machine to boost his abilities and had take to carrying firearms.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pania

When it comes to the the Big M: super computer reference book. * chuckle *

Otherwise, just a comic book fan who's been reading X-Men for 20+ years. ;-)

Post Edited:2007-11-27 00:40:21

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Pania says:

""He's already involved. He's in the Destiny Dairies."He's in Qwertzy's diaries (Brubaker's storyline, which annoying ran at the same time Cary's "search for a prophetic books" did.), I don't think there has been a mention of him in Destiny's Diaries."

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pania

That's not Destiny's Diaries. That's (the morlock) Querwty's book, the one Masque had in Uncanny X-Men. Not the dairies the X-Men had stashed and sent Bobby and Sam after in X-Men (vol. 2).

So we have two prophetic books in play. Messiah CompleX is working off Destiny's Dairies. This is the last we've seen of Querwty's book, though I'm sure it will pop up later.
    Post Edited:2007-11-27 00:49:23

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Pania says:

"That's not Destiny's Diaries. That's Querwty's book, the one Masque had in Uncanny X-Men. Not the dairies the X-Men had stashed and sent Bobby and Sam after in X-Men (vol. 2). "

Ohhh, I see. But you still say he's not apart of the Messiah Complex?

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pania

I don't say it. Carey said it.

It makes no sense to me to have Magneto sitting on the sideline while the fate of the mutant species hangs in the balance, but according to Carey it does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.