Follow

Magik

Character » Magik appears in 3410 issues.

The younger sister of Colossus. Illyana Rasputin is a mutant teleporter, a sorceress, and the ruler of Limbo, who is currently a member of Storm's team of mutants residing in the "Jean Grey Institute for Higher Learning".

Who is Illyana? *spoilers*

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just read New Mutants #9. And if im getting this straight, the character
    that has returned, is not in fact Illyana Rasputin, aka: Magik, but is a character
    named Darkchilde inhabiting Illyana's body, who's soul is currently away?
    If so doesnt that declare Darkchilde a seperate character, particularly in X-Infernus,
    and deem that Magiks bio needs to be split in two?

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PYH000

I agree with your comment and it's good that Zeb Wells recognizes Magik as two separate beings such as one is an innocent girl who's human while the other is a wicked demon.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " I just read New Mutants #9. And if im getting this straight, the character
    that has returned, is not in fact Illyana Rasputin, aka: Magik, but is a character
    named Darkchilde inhabiting Illyana's body, who's soul is currently away?
    If so doesnt that declare Darkchilde a seperate character, particularly in X-Infernus, and deem that Magiks bio needs to be split in two?  "
    The Darkchilde, in essence, is Illyana Rasputin, but only physically. You are right, they are two separate beings, and the Darkchilde is merely a construct of the sorcerer, Belasco. However, I think it would be confusing with a separate character. It is easier to incorporate her exploits under the Illyana Rasputin character, being as that she is a mystical byproduct of the original Illyana.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @244 said:
    " I agree with your comment and it's good that Zeb Wells recognizes Magik as two separate beings such as one is an innocent girl who's human while the other is a wicked demon. "
    For the longest time, I felt Illyana's resurrection seemed hollow, and it was because it was the Darkchilde that was resurrected, not Illyana.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's good because Zeb Wells is sticking to what Kyle & Yost started with the Quest for Magik.  It also shines a little light on what happened between her re-appearance and issue 1 of the new New Mutants.

Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " It's good because Zeb Wells is sticking to what Kyle & Yost started with the Quest for Magik.  It also shines a little light on what happened between her re-appearance and issue 1 of the new New Mutants. "
    I am interested in learning more about these paramilitary occultists the New Mutants are inevitably going to encounter. I thought Illyana's conversation with Emma Frost just solidified what we knew all along. When Warlock referred to Magik as Illyana V2.0, a "pirated copy". She is not Illyana Rasputin, but she has her memories up until Inferno, which makes her the closest thing Earth-616 has. Being that she is the Darkchilde without Illyana's soul, it stands to reason she will turn bad, again.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, its very interesting for sure. and im glad they didnt sweep all of that under the rug as well, its one of my largest pet 
    peeves as a reader.  Zebs an impressive writer, and i kind of wish he would take over Uncanny (ahem).
    as for the division, i was thinking more on the lines that they exploits would be carried by both, not separately, 
    ie: Magiks exploits would be written, but the fact that it was Darkchilde in her body walking  around interacting
    would be pointed out from when and to when, much like when Skrull replacement is pointed out, whereas Darkchilde, 
    being a separate character would have the same issues/adventures that pertain to her/it on her/its own page.
    as  for confusing, i didnt take it into consideration since in any characters case as such, they do have separate
    pages, (examples: Sentry/Void, Onslaught/Xavier, Ben Reilly/Peter Parker/Kaine/and whoever else, 
    Parallax/Hal Jordan/Spectre/Kyle Rayner, Shadow king/whomever,ect) to avoid the confusion that it was 
    actually them talking at the time in question (for example a current reader of the bio would understand that it was Illyana 
    that destroyed aspects of Legions psyche, maybe with a little influence). stuff like that is reminiscant of the inaccuracies 
    of wikipedia that we're supposed to avoid here, to me anyways. only my suggestion, i cant edit bio's anyways do to a bug
    so its not my ball personally.

Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " yeah, its very interesting for sure. and im glad they didnt sweep all of that under the rug as well, its one of my largest pet  peeves as a reader.  Zebs an impressive writer, and i kind of wish he would take over Uncanny (ahem). as for the division, i was thinking more on the lines that they exploits would be carried by both, not separately,  ie: Magiks exploits would be written, but the fact that it was Darkchilde in her body walking  around interacting would be pointed out from when and to when, much like when Skrull replacement is pointed out, whereas Darkchilde,  being a separate character would have the same issues/adventures that pertain to her/it on her/its own page. as  for confusing, i didnt take it into consideration since in any characters case as such, they do have separate pages, (examples: Sentry/Void, Onslaught/Xavier, Ben Reilly/Peter Parker/Kaine/and whoever else,  Parallax/Hal Jordan/Spectre/Kyle Rayner, Shadow king/whomever,ect) to avoid the confusion that it was  actually them talking at the time in question (for example a current reader of the bio would understand that it was Illyana  that destroyed aspects of Legions psyche, maybe with a little influence). stuff like that is reminiscant of the inaccuracies  of wikipedia that we're supposed to avoid here, to me anyways. only my suggestion, i cant edit bio's anyways do to a bug so its not my ball personally. "
    I think it is a perfectly relevant and insightful point you are making regarding the duality of Illyana's psyche, especially in contrast to the examples that you provided. You are right about current readers understanding, but I think it would confuse novices. I noticed the same inaccuracies on Wikipedia, the author had a difficult time differentiating Illyana Rasputin, and her Darkchilde persona. As if it wasn't confusing enough, but to refer to Illyana as Darkchilde and vice versa only complicates matters worse. I am actually surprised Magik is not the title of Illyana Rasputin's profile on Comic Vine, but with two characters having shared the title, I suppose it makes sense to a certain extent. As for making a separate profile, I wouldn't be opposed to anything Illyana Rasputin :D, but I think one profile is sufficient. I guess being as they are very similar to your descriptions, it wouldn't be out of the realm of plausibility. 
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough, but it still bothers me. Both characters are shown on panel interacting in the physical realm
    (and something tells me will again). Emma says " Your not Illyana Rasputin " and " Who are you", to which
    Darkchilde admits and explains. Just doesnt sit right with me.

on other notes...
    I caught the Magik alias as well. so what are the thoughts on Darkchildes emergence.
    How does anyone calculate this might pan out and what will it mean for the New Mutants,
    and Colossus's if he finds out. 

also, im probally off, but Darkchilde referred to seeking her Bloodstones, which if i remember are still lost to her. 
    I was wondering if anyone thinks this might be one?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @244 said:
    " I agree with your comment and it's good that Zeb Wells recognizes Magik as two separate beings such as one is an innocent girl who's human while the other is a wicked demon. "
    For the longest time, I felt Illyana's resurrection seemed hollow, and it was because it was the Darkchilde that was resurrected, not Illyana. "
    Well Illy c'mon 

anything involving Ilyana or Darkchilde cant be bad after all as you said she's the closest thing earth 616 has to the "Original". Me personally I'm thrilled with the demon who wants to be a girl "darkchilde". after all Ilyana the sweet innocent pure soul died from the lagacy virus.......... this thing running around is simply a demon who remembers being a girl, the "lions share" of illyanas soul is in heaven somewhere while the small portion left in the soulsword is all that the demon has........ "ping"

anyone else remember that alternate illyana's soul sword once resided with archangel? perhaps darkchilde could fuse the two together to get more of a soul? just came to me....... x0
    grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By grimm

I didn't think their was a debate whether it was Illyana or not. She had freaking horns and a tail and tried to kill people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Ryonslaught said:
    " @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @244 said:
    For the longest time, I felt Illyana's resurrection seemed hollow, and it was because it was the Darkchilde that was resurrected, not Illyana. "
    Well Illy c'mon   anything involving Ilyana or Darkchilde cant be bad after all as you said she's the closest thing earth 616 has to the "Original". Me personally I'm thrilled with the demon who wants to be a girl "darkchilde". after all Ilyana the sweet innocent pure soul died from the lagacy virus.......... this thing running around is simply a demon who remembers being a girl, the "lions share" of illyanas soul is in heaven somewhere while the small portion left in the soulsword is all that the demon has........ "ping"  anyone else remember that alternate illyana's soul sword once resided with archangel? perhaps darkchilde could fuse the two together to get more of a soul? just came to me....... x0 "
    She looks good for a soulless construct of the ruler of an interdimensional pocket realm! We saw the "lion's share" of Illyana's soul in Heaven, as seen in Wolverine: Fatal Attractions, and she paid Piotr a visit at the mansion on Christmas in Uncanny X-Men. Magik had even bound a stepping disc to the mansion, should anything ever go wrong. That soul is nowhere near her latest incarnation. I remember when Archangel took the Soulsword in Exiles, but apparently, the Soul Swords constructed by Exiles Magik were forged by her soul, not from her soul, which is an interesting concept, because it would explain why it could kill physical beings, and others could touch it.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @grimm said:
    " I didn't think their was a debate whether it was Illyana or not. She had freaking horns and a tail and tried to kill people!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    In the events following X-Infernus, there was. Magma even mentioned "perhaps" they should question her a little more. Emma Frost was just the first person to do it. Magik didn't make it a secret from the New X-Men who she was. I am surprised it's not already common knowledge, considering that she told the kids.
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

So basically the current Magik is Illyana as if she hadnt reverted back to childhood in New Mutants Vol 1 #75 and is missing her soul.  So if she can get her soul back that will make her their old team mate again but not necessarily the same child who died of the Legacy Virus?

Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Gold Dust Boi said:

" So basically the current Magik is Illyana as if she hadnt reverted back to childhood in New Mutants Vol 1 #75 and is missing her soul.  So if she can get her soul back that will make her their old team mate again but not necessarily the same child who died of the Legacy Virus? "

She actually reverted to childhood in New Mutants # 73, but you're right. She would be the same person. Although, I can't imagine her ever being fully "restored" per se. There's also the fact that she would be disturbing her soul at its place of rest. She has a portion of  it in her sword and the Bloodstones, but the more dark forces play with her "remaining" soul, the more convoluted the whole issue becomes.
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @Illyana Rasputin: do you think that they will wrap this up with her getting her soul back are are they going to play around with her more before turning her evil and killing her again??
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Gold Dust Boi said:

" @Illyana Rasputin: do you think that they will wrap this up with her getting her soul back are are they going to play around with her more before turning her evil and killing her again?? "

I would be surprised if they play with the latter story device first, and end with a last-moment salvation. 
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PYH000
    @CATMANEXE: I've talked with some of the posters from the comicbooksresources forums and actually Darkchilde is still Illyana because Darkchilde makes up half of Illyana's entire being as her corrupted side and her dark influences (by Belasco's dark sorcery) so I've come to realize there's no need to create two bios. Darkchilde isn't really a separate entity but it's still true there's duality in Magik.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@244: 
    thanks. honestly i haven't thought on this since 8 months ago. glad someones keeping things in order.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.