Follow

M

Character » M appears in 1720 issues.

Monet St. Croix, also known as 'M', was originally a founding member of Generation X, later envolved with various X-Men related teams. Recently, she rejoined the newly reformed X-Corp (X-Corporation) in a main role.

Monet St. Croix Tie-breaker

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Chesapeake
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Since Monet St. Croix has been a regular of the Mutant World (X-Men´s Universe). She has been feature into two mainly X-books which are Generation X and X-Factor. In which of these books has her characther better portrait?

(Number of Appearances : Generation X, 66 issues; X-Factor , 66 issues)

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By jrock85

She wasn't as sanctimonious in Gen X.

BTW, why is she now in her 20s while Jubilee is still between 17 and 18?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PowerHerc

I like the character, but I haven't read the newer X-Factor title so I don't know how well she's been portrayed in it.

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kamionero

Hmmmm tough choice!!! I'd have to say X-factor. Gen X, frankly, was too messy with the sisters and Hollow, I didnt particularly enjoy that. However, all that was great to give her character depth and make her all that much more interesting later. So basically X-factor wins cause u get to reap what was sown in Gen X essentially, and play with the character a bit.

I only wish Husk and Chamber had been so lucky! :P

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Osiris1428

I think that more character development has happened to the character in X-Factor.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jubilee042

i think x factor

Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 67

#7  Edited By Zaber

X-Factor

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Ryonslaught

I preferred Generation-X at least there she was portrayed as arguably one of the teams most powerful members. Sure the convolution with her family was ......weird but in X-factor she's far too background for me. X-factor is great but as a Monet fan it lacks something.....

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By difficlus

@Chesapeake: Good topic, however i've barely read either book to make such an opinion.

Pixielized knows more about Monet than most people here, i'd like to hear what he thinks...

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrinceIMC

Generation X established her as a teenager, X-Factor has established her as a 20 something who's seen some weird stuff. I'd say X-Factor though.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

X Factor

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By John Valentine

X-Factor.

Logan X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Logan X

By far Generation X. Don't like her in X-Factor.

Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Iron_Lad

Gen-X. She was a kind of oddball, mysterious character back then, which made her cool imo.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Zaber said:

X-Factor

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lifeguard85

X-Factor

She is still uber powerful IMO, but her personality seems to prevent her from being a front-line super hero. And I kind of like it that way. She would have been lost in the background of any other x-book.

Plus, I think M was supposed to be at least 1 year older than Jubes in Gen-X. But Jubilee definitely should have aged at least a little, now that she has a vampire they have an excuse not to age her lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@Chesapeake said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Since Monet St. Croix has been a regular of the Mutant World (X-Men´s Universe). She has been feature into two mainly X-books which are Generation X and X-Factor. In which of these books has her characther better portrait?

(Number of Appearances : Generation X, 66 issues; X-Factor , 66 issues)

You could write that better as:

Monet St. Croix has made regular appearances within the x-men universe for some time, throughout a number of titles, mainly within Generation X and X-factor. Which do you think depicted her better?

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE

X-Factor, but no love lost for the former either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

In X-factor the writer doesn't seem to have much use for her outside of being the 'sassy' character on the team. She was written much better in Generation X, I think. However, X-factor's depiction of her seems consistent with her previous appearances- if you look at how Monet has acted in the past, the way she acts currently makes sense; how else would she behave? X-factor did a really poor job of mentioning her past, which was irritating, but otherwise she's being written decently.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jrock85

I'm outraged about that damn Pip the troll telling her to zip up her costume in X-Factor #230. Now we can't see her cleavage anymore! >:(

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty

Most of the time in Generation X it wasn't actually Monet that we were reading.

@jrock85 said:

Because Peter David is a rare writer who allows his characters to grow ;)

@jrock85 said:

I'm outraged about that damn Pip the troll telling her to zip up her costume in X-Factor #230. Now we can't see her cleavage anymore! >:(

I don't think you have to worry.... no-one really listens to trolls ;)

Generation X was a troubled series that was bookended by good talent. The first year and the last year-or-so were the only good stories. The rest of the years in between were trash that have been swept under the carpet (such as Emma Frost's emerging telekinetic powers), and it's only thanks to a decent writer that M has held onto that convoluted pat which others would have simply ignored.

In other words: X-Factor > Generation X.

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chesapeake

X-Factor. I wish she would take a lead role

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jrock85

@xerox_kitty: She actually did zip up her costume after he told her to. :'(

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Nudeviking

@jrock85 said:

She wasn't as sanctimonious in Gen X.

I've been re-reading Gen X recently, so I can answer this. Jubilee was early on declared to be the youngest student at the school (I think she was said to be 13 in issue 1) while M was several years older than her (there were character profiles in the back of the first issue that I think listed her age, but I don't have it in front of me right now). If Jubilee now is 17 or 18, M would be 20-ish.

Anyway as to the original question, I think she was a more three dimensional character in Gen-X.

Renascence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Renascence

Difficult question!

I still think the Jubilee/M relationship is one of my favorite clashing of personalities ever, but Gen X also left her nearly unusable after the horrendous Nicole/Claudette/Penance fiasco. I liked her stoic snark, her mysterious black outs, and overall enigmatic confidence.

Despite shoving her into relationships with X-Factor's premiere losers (a dupe, Darwin and Strong Guy), PAD's return to the X-Books had her overcoming a bumpy road with Siryn early on while also giving her a cute sibling-like relationship with Rictor. She's far more aggressive in this series than passive-aggressive and has shown her softer side on multiple occasions. She's just been the hilarious highlight of the series and in many ways her relationship with Wolfsbane is a lot like hers with Jubilee (although Rahne never takes it there and is thus less fun).

Both.

Renascence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Renascence

@Chesapeake said:

X-Factor. I wish she would take a lead role

Me too! I really want more of the M, Banshee, Rictor, Wolfsbane, and Shatterstar dynamic than yet more Madrox. I never want any Longshot.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#27  Edited By xerox_kitty

@jrock85 said:

@xerox_kitty: She actually did zip up her costume after he told her to. :'(

I'm sure those puppies will be back on show before you know it... Don't give up hope ;)

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jrock85

@xerox_kitty: Perhaps you're right. I'll try not to give in to despair. :)

Renascence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Renascence

I want her to have a different costume. Something a bit more fashionable and if not fashionable a bit more colorful.

Ahmed Sherif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ahmed Sherif

I never knew how she was in generation x, but in X-factor she is very aggressive and feels so mush free!

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chesapeake

M is a awesome character. It was interesting to see her relationship with Hollow/Sisters, emplate, etc. I think that was interesting in Gen X

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Chesapeake said:

M is a awesome character. It was interesting to see her relationship with Hollow/Sisters, emplate, etc. I think that was interesting in Gen X

That was never suppose to happen, M was suppose to be two young adolescent girls and Penance/Hollow was suppose to be another character entirely with no relation, Emplate would have remained their brother though 
    Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Elixir95

Regarding the question about Jubilee's and Monet's age; I've been reading back the first few issues of Generation X, and it seems that Jubilee was the youngest of the lot; her age is stated as being 13 in Generation X #1.

About the titular question, having read every issue of the current X-Factor and much less of Generation X, I'm going to have to go with the former. While I did like her interactions with Husk and Jubilee, it is the air of ambiguity surrounding her feelings for her teammates in X-Factor that makes her: her love/hate sisterly relationship with Siryn, her toying with Madrox and Rictor, the fact that she despises Layla, her masked attachment to Strong Guy.... Think it's awesome :D.

Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always a toss up when it comes to Gen-X Monet and X-Factor Monet for me. Mostly because I'm a huge Monet fan and I've written more things about her then I can remember. I think I like/love/favor both of them equally but at the same time I think I favor Gen X more at time if not only before the memories of it and thing we got learn about Monet and now it just feels like Monet is at a stand still. Like some of you guys said we all wish Monet would take more of a lead in X-Factor which she hasn't done yet - possibly only when her father was kidnapped, when she fought Ballistique and possibly some others. Also I think I liked Monet in Gen X because we saw a lot of what was under Monet's "M" persona - we got to see her breakdown and bond Jubilee after the death of Synch which was a fleet for her has Jubes was like her moral enemy and we also got see Monet's family and know of their past and now we have nothing and all we can assume is that the twins after safe and still have their powers as Mo hasn't spoken of them.

But also as much as I love Generation X I love X-Factor. I love sister/best friend relationship with Terry/Siryn and her friendship with Shatterstar because the conversation are always hilarious and he's such as new born child compared to Monet and I even thought I sometimes dislike her attachment to Strong Guy its good to see that even Monet is capable of having friends. Oh and I loveeeeeeeeee her dislike or such I her despising Layla because I feel like Monet takes the words of my mouth when she talks to Layla and I feel that it takes Monet quite some strength not to back hand her and dislocate her (Layla) whoe jaw if not knock her head off.

Conclusion I wish we could have some of the old M so we could see more of her sisters and Penance and have the story full explained and I also love the new M who really is a force to be reckon with even in her sleep.

@Lifeguard85: @Elixir95: In Gen-X Monet is stated to be the oldest after Jono I think. I know that what ever the age the twins was half of Monet's actually age. So they where 8/9 which would mean that Monet was possibly 16/18.

Lorialet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lorialet

I prefered Monet's portrayal in Generation X. I love X-factor, but Monet's portrayal in this comic is rather disappointing. She barely feels like a protagonist.

ddaann1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By ddaann1985

I think she is better portrayed in X-factor. Mainly because of the horrible M = Twins=Penance etc thing they did. :)

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chesapeake

M just broke the tie this week because She has participated in one more issue than Gen X. Congrats that a long run for a charachter in two series.

X-Factor # 226
    X-Factor # 226
    Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Chesapeake
    X-Factor #219.
    X-Factor #219.
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.