Follow

Luke Skywalker

Character » Luke Skywalker appears in 1280 issues.

The son of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker set out to save Princess Leia from the Empire and became a hero of the Rebel Alliance. Luke began training to become a Jedi under the tuition of both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, and after discovering his heritage and redeeming his father, he became the leader of the New Jedi Order and brought the Jedi back into the Galaxy, arguably making him the greatest and most powerful Jedi of all time. Before training Rey, his Jedi apprentices were Ben Solo, Hennix, Tai and Voe.

Off My Mind: Multiple 'Star Wars' Films Each Year

• 92 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Most of us are still getting over the fact that we're actually going to see more Star Wars movies. From the days of the rumors of nine movies (at one point there was a crazy rumor of twelve chapters!), Star Wars fans have always wondered what could happen next. With George Lucas handing the reigns of the franchise over to Disney, there is a mixture of trepidation and excitement.

Some may feel the movies should have stopped after the original trilogy. Others can embrace the idea of more movies, even if they are geared towards a newer generation. What it comes down to is more movies keep the franchise alive.

No Caption Provided

With the amount of money Disney paid for the franchise, logic dictates they will want to ensure they make that money back rather than try to crank out mediocre content and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. With the success of the recent Marvel films with Disney (and of course Paramount), could Disney be eyeing the same approach of releasing multiple films in the same year?

== TEASER ==

The immediate strong argument is this is a bad idea. The Star Wars movies have always been seen as trilogies about the Skywalkers. Watching Episodes I - VI, you can clearly see all the movies, including the original trilogy, really tell the story of Darth Vader's fall and redemption. The proposed idea of Episodes VII through IX happening every few years should follow the same suit and focus on the Skywalker clan (which of course could also include Leia and any of her children). But would it be wrong to have more movies to go along with the next trilogy?

DARK EMPIRE
    DARK EMPIRE

With the Marvel films, as much as Iron Man 3 or the next Thor movie may be anticipated, the highest level of excitement with general moviegoers will be on the next Avengers movie. Everyone sees these movies and the next Captain America movies as side films building up to the sequel to The Avengers, regardless of how independent the stories might be. Who's to say we can't have the same formula used in the Star Wars universe?

Imagine a movie focused just on Luke Skywalker. Maybe we could see STAR WARS: DARK EMPIRE (by Tom Veitch). It was in this story we saw the return (sort of) of Emperor Palpatine along with Luke succumbing to the Dark Side of the Force. We could also see a movie focused just on Boba Fett, how he escaped the Sarlacc and why he's such a bad ass. Or maybe we could get a movie just on Mara Jade. Readers of the expanded universe know how great of a character she is and seeing her story on the big screen could be something.

There are obvious logistics involved with some of these ideas. The main factor is the time that has passed and the original actors needed for some. The current expanded universe novels are set thirty-something years after Return of the Jedi. Movies focused on this time period would allow the original actors to reprise their roles. Movies occurring immediately after Jedi would be a little harder to do with some of those actors.

No Caption Provided

Is it possible to have too much Star Wars? Would having two or maybe even three Star Wars related movies in a single year be too much? Fans have no problem with the multiple novels, comics, occasional video game and TV shows centered the characters. When you really enjoy something, you want as much of it as possible. Star Wars may have been had the presentation of movies in trilogies but that doesn't have to be the case. The main films could focus on the Skywalkers or main characters. Other films could show us other parts of the Star Wars galaxy. It is a big universe.

There are many many worlds and characters that could be explored. As long as the focus and dedication is firm in delivering the best possible product, the more Star Wars we can get, the happier we can be.

Avatar image for victorvondoom_1
    VictorVonDoom_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictorVonDoom_1

There's no such thing as too much SW! But, the idea of trying a Marvel approach to doing independent films leading to a major sequel wouldn't be too bad, in my opinion.

Spellca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spellca

I am a huge fan of the Star Wars franchise. I love the games and have been reading up on the novels/comics. I believe that as long as there is a story to tell, it could work.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moywar700

IDK perhaps. We don't even know if the next Star Wars films are gonne be based of the comics or if they're just gonna make up a new story line.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Batnandez

@moywar700: Yeah we do, they already said it would be stories based off of George's layout which doesn't include EU stuff. The writers they hired will likely change some things and work with George, but the movies are not going to be based off of the books. Maybe future films after 7, 8 and 9 will be based off of that stuff.

maffrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maffrew

I have no problem with this as long as the quality stays high. As you put forward G-Man, there are tons of characters in the Star Wars universe and lots of scope to tell all sorts of stories.

As someone who once upon a time as a teen read about 70 Expanded Universe novels, (essentially the timeline from post-Battle of Yavin up to the end of the New Jedi Order series), one of my main concerns is how they factor in the EU, whether they use those stories or ignore them completely. I honestly don't mind if they DO just negate them and start to build their own post-ROTJ universe, but on some level I think that would be a bit of a sucker punch to everyone that has bought into the EU.

Given that they've pretty much said Luke, Leia and Han will be involved I have to assume that it will be set far enough ahead that the characters reflect the actors ages. That would also allow them to have kids (whether it be the the EU ones or not) and even grandchildren.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Long as the standards are kept high for this I think Disney should be free to do this format if they want. Personally for me though they just need to start with doing the Thrawn Trilogy and thus give closure to everything that had started with the New Hope in 1977. Thrawn Trilogy would bring it full circle and bring it to its novel conclusion, and from there we can see future possible projects of other things dealing with the SW universe. Maybe the Swarm War...and if wanted to be really ambitious the Yuu'zhan Vong War, or even something dealing with the Old Republic. The thing is, the EU is so darn expansive that frankly Disney is not at a loss for having to choose from source material for a script. These will be exciting times indeed.

metroplex02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By metroplex02

Didn't even read this article because its premise I find ridiculous. Just bein' honest. Usually right there with you Gman.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zereta

@metroplex02 said:

Didn't even read this article because its premise I find ridiculous. Just bein' honest. Usually right there with you Gman.

The premise is something Disney themselves have said they are doing.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Duo_forbidden

@maffrew said:

As someone who once upon a time as a teen read about 70 Expanded Universe novels, (essentially the timeline from post-Battle of Yavin up to the end of the New Jedi Order series), one of my main concerns is how they factor in the EU, whether they use those stories or ignore them completely. I honestly don't mind if they DO just negate them and start to build their own post-ROTJ universe, but on some level I think that would be a bit of a sucker punch to everyone that has bought into the EU.

That's exactly what worries me about this new trilogy. If they do decide to sway away from The EU, that would somewhat make it irrelevant unless, The trilogy takes place after Legacy. But then again, most Star Wars fans only follow the movies, and the Clone Wars tv series.

As for the multiple films aspect, that's not a bad idea. I think the best idea for that would be to adapt some of the EU stories into animated films.

Maxman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maxman3

I like the idea. Do a Jedi/Sith, bounty hunter etc. I doubt it would happen though. The production costs to maintain the level of quality that fans expect would be insane.

namtabmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By namtabmi

I'd prefer to see more movies with Vader in it. Set between 3 and 4 rather than after 6.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LoganRogue24

i would like to see jaina solo.

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sawcesome

I honestly don't want them to do adaptations of already existing EU stories. Just wouldn't feel right to me. I also hope they don't stomp all over the EU with whatever they're planning. If I'm not mistaken, there's a decent gap between Fate of the Jedi and Legacy, and that's where I'd like to see the movies take place. That'd be an interesting era to shoot for, I think.

Sawcesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sawcesome

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Long as the standards are kept high for this I think Disney should be free to do this format if they want. Personally for me though they just need to start with doing the Thrawn Trilogy and thus give closure to everything that had started with the New Hope in 1977. Thrawn Trilogy would bring it full circle and bring it to its novel conclusion, and from there we can see future possible projects of other things dealing with the SW universe. Maybe the Swarm War...and if wanted to be really ambitious the Yuu'zhan Vong War, or even something dealing with the Old Republic. The thing is, the EU is so darn expansive that frankly Disney is not at a loss for having to choose from source material for a script. These will be exciting times indeed.

I think giving the Yuuzhan Vong War the same treatment that the Clone Wars is getting would be pretty cool. Dark as all get-out, but it would still be neat.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Inverno

That would be a pretty bold thing to do.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eyz

Oh, man...this whole Disney's STAR WARS thingie is going out of hand...

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TerrellV13

No. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crimsonlord53

They may have to. How far are they going into the SW universe future.

There is a lot of EU stuff out there that could stand alone as movies rogue squadron for example

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoyWander

How about a movie about the clones! I was so looking to the Clone wars series when it came out because I thought I'd get to see clones being badasses and have this kind of Starship Trooper feel to it or like a military movie kinda thing going. Instead I got Anakin and his apprentice. Maybe step away from the Jedi for side movies.

More importantly, who wouldn't want to see Harrison Ford run around as Han again, shooting greedos first and asking questions later. Like a space western thing. Anything where Harrison Ford kicks ass is going to be good, and hopefully Disney knows that.

Nightwing82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nightwing82

a Han Solo well solo movie would be awesome!! maybe set between episode 3 and 4!!

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Michiel76

Disney go nuts!! you got my blessing!
    They have proven themselves with the marvel movies and i hope we can look forward to a lot more SW movies.
    Just make em good!!

Xorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xorion

I really don't want another trilogy about Skywalkers. Marvel movies were great and I think it would be pretty good if SW films would go that way too. Also with making indepent movies they can freely leave jedi and sith stories and show the other sides of the universe too

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Well lets hope Disney will continue to be money grubbing whores and want to recoop their money as best as possible and in doing so create the best movies possible.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By kagato

I did go through a lot of different emotions when the disney takeover happend but i realised two things, one, George Lucas hasnt made a good film in the series since Return of the Jedi and two, Disney bought over Marvel and aside from additional funding and some excellent movies, there hasnt been any really bad choices made. So yeah, im happy to see another three star wars movies, especially after the excellent clone wars tv show and the old republic mmo. I dont believe it would be good to make the movies yearly, why not give us the movies every 3 to 4 years and some animated shows or live action series in between? Id much rather watch a weekly bounty hunter show filmed in cgi featuring all of the different hunters (including boba fett) and what they got up to before and after the empire fell. The movies should be a special event, something that when it comes out, everyone takes notice, like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter are to many. I just get the feeling that if we get a movie a year it will lose what makes it special and we will get bored of it.

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know about the multiple movies a year approach but I will say this, and I know it's going to cause many on here to get upset with me, but I think Disney should just completely pass over the period right after ROTJ and start Episode VII right in the Star Wars: Legacy era. The pros to this are... 1. You get to keep the expanded universe established by the novels intact. 2. With the next film taking place in during the Legacy timeline Disney will have the freedom to cast all new actors for the key roles instead of feeling fan pressure to bring back the stars of the previous films to reprise their old roles, 3. Since Legacy is a comic series and not a book series (and also not as well known as some of the novels) the writers can pick and choose what elements they want to use and which ones to omit, heck we see it all the time with comic to movie adaptations why should Legacy be any different? (and mind you I'm saying this as a fan of that series)

Now I'll admit there are cons to this as well some of the biggest ones being... 1. We won't get to see Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford reprise their old roles, however let's remember guys and girls that Harrison Ford is 70 years old, Mark Hamil is 61, and Carrie Fisher is 56, so unless your ready to accept new actors in those roles (which I'm not sure I am) any movie based directly after ROTJ is unlikely, 2. Long established EU stories that people felt to be the true sequel to the original Star Wars trilogy (i.e. The Thrawn Trilogy) won't be realized on the big screen, 3. Movies based on completely new characters in a totally new timeframe may alienate long time fans, (though I remember this same thing being said about Episode I so...)

So while I personally would like to see the new movies based on the Star Wars: Legacy comics I understand those who may not share my views, however be forewarned that if you insist the next films be based directly after Episode VI be prepared to accept new actors in the main roles and/or the continuity of the EU books to be almost completely trashed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Lvenger

Although I'd love to see an expanded universe story, I doubt Disney will pay any heed to the EU. Compared to the majority of Star Wars fans worldwide who haven't read any EU stories, I think Disney will try to make a set of movies for them rather than fans of the EU stories. A shame as there are some great stories in the EU that would work wonderfully in a movie.

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fetts

I vote for the Boba Fett movie idea :)

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#28  Edited By pspin

As much as I love Star Wars, which is a lot, I have to say no. For the sake of existing continuity with the books and comics, sorry, but no, stick to the same format. They will make you more than enough money to cover the cost of the acquisition.

jpblair88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By jpblair88

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I don't care how it's done, just give me good Star Wars movies and I'm a happy camper.

Avatar image for monkeyonurback_
    monkeyonurback_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By monkeyonurback_

i think they should make 3 really good movies now and in another 20 or so years revisit to finish off the franchise at chapter 12

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlKusanagi

As a fan of the EU, I'm totally behind it. Yes, the classic characters of the movies pop up in them, but only a fraction of the novels deal with that core group of characters. Many of the novels are about new characters or characters that barely appear in the movies, like Wedge, with the main movie characters having small parts or not even being in them at all.

Also, I have a feeling that "multiple movies" a year won't translate to live action at all, and they'll mostly be CG animated films.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sora_thekey

Another great idea! I can see Episode VII focusing on the Skywalker stories with the original (now older) cast and 2 or 3 movies on stories that take place after VI and leading up to VII (with a new cast that plays those same, younger characters).

Tony, why aren't you the EiC of... everything!?

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dvorak

Yeah, sure. At this point, why not?

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dondasch

I'd love to see either Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy or the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson. Very enjoyable books and would be a nice springboard into the rest of the massive Star Wars universe

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AskaniSon295

talk to the fans of the expanded universe get there input on what stories from all the non-movie content is the best and make that into a movie and using the tech they used in Tron:Legacy they can pretty much make any actor look younger again. Just get great stories the reason Star Trek 11 was so great is that it had a great story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Nightwing82: That would be unlikely if they don't want to nullify any of the EU. We already have a trilogy of books for Han's origins.

Nightwing82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nightwing82

@guttridgeb: to be honest i haven't followed the EU always wanted to start but never really got in to it, just find Hans character so much more interesting than any other!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By danhimself

would it really be such a bad thing to recast the original characters with younger actors? I mean we saw in the first trilogy just how badly Mark Hamill had aged during the course of the three films...while everyone else tended to look pretty much the same Mark was already looking much older than the character he was supposed to be portraying....IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to recast the characters and take up right where the last movie left off

Dark Noldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1014

#40  Edited By Dark Noldor

I'm a big fan of Star Wars and I would love seeing a move per year, especially with good special effects, focusing more on what the Force can do!

BannerNOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BannerNOW

more SW is a good thing just make sure it connects with the past

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BigMaraSpence

It would sell, regardless. The only exception might be a Dark Empire movie. I think seeing Luke turn sides might push away the general public who haven't read the stories.

Sheep-Kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By Sheep-Kill

I say make at east 3 or four marvel films each year. There are PLENTY of stories.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#44  Edited By Xanni15

YES! Release as many as they can every year. I would go to see every single one of them. Almost like a TV series on the big screen. :D

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could work maybe.But I dont want to see the stories in the expanded universe repeated on screen.They should set the film some time after Cade Skywalker,set out new ground. And maybe focus on another Skywalker.But if they did other films maybe they could focus on characters in between certain events.

antemiusenteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By antemiusenteri

I for one would love a star wars story that didn't revolve around the Skywalkers ( i'v always thought that was a stupid name) there's an entire universe of stories, knights of the old republic anyone ?

JayMar89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JayMar89

I think they should keep it trilogy based and set it at least 30 or more years after return of the jedi maybe follow the expaned universe loosely

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123

I don't understand how that would make any sense for Star Wars.

With Avengers, it was done for the sake of establishing an epic team up.

You don't need five movies to set up the main characters meeting in a Star Wars movie.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By JamesKM716

That would be pretty cool. But i'd prefer one movie a year. I think they'd drain the franchise if they did more than one a year

Also quick note, current novels take place about 40 years after Episode IV

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mightypug78

the vong story arc would be perfect

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.