Follow

Loki

Character » Loki appears in 2202 issues.

Loki is the Jötunn/Asgardian God of Mischief and Prince of Lies, the adopted son of Odin and typically nemesis of his brother, Thor, as well as the adoptive brother to former Guardian of the Galaxy, Angela. Loki has schemed against Thor and Asgard for ages and his cosmic meddling led to the formation of the Avengers. Recently reincarnated, he decided to reform. Going on to protect the realms as the agent of Asgard, then as the sorcerer supreme, to defeating Laufey and becoming king of Jotunnheim.

Off My Mind: Why Loki is the Logical Avengers Movie Villain

• 69 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Avengers is already received loads of praise and has taken over the foreign box office with ticket sales. Making a movie of this scope was seen as a risk with the large cast and demand that audiences be willing to accept a team of superpowered heroes fighting the forces of evil. It helped to have several of the Marvel characters appearing in other movies before this to make audiences familiar with pretty much the entire cast.

No Caption Provided

Assembling a team of heroes like this requires the perfect threat. Over the years of publication in Marvel Comics, the Avengers have faced several villains. The filmmakers could have chosen from the likes of the Skrulls, Ultron, Kang the Conquerer or the Masters of Evil. Instead they went with the logical choice from both the comic and cinematic universes, Loki.

There are no spoilers contained below.

== TEASER ==

In the comics, it was Loki that unintentionally brought the team together. In a plan to get Thor to get his attention, he created an illusion that caused Hulk to attack a train. Other heroes, including Thor and Iron Man, gathered to deal with Hulk and soon learned that Loki was behind the entire fiasco. At the end of the battle, they realized that teaming up would give them an advantage over the bigger threats that might arise. This was the birth of the Avengers.

No Caption Provided

In the movie, the formation of the team is a little different. We've seen Nick Fury and Agent Coulson mentioning the 'Avengers Initiative' to the various heroes. With the tesseract (Cosmic Cube) from Captain America: The First Avenger, and Loki's appearance at the end of Thor, the seeds have been planted for his return and diabolical schemes to be unleashed upon the world.

From a filmmaker's perspective, choosing the villain could be a tricky decision. Those of us that read comics would have very little problems even if Kang appeared in his green and purple outfit complete with thigh high boots. Those that don't read comics might have a harder time accepting the absurd-looking character in live-action form on the big screen.

No Caption Provided

Loki has already been established as a character and as a villain. Thor may have required audiences to accept the mystical nature of certain comic book characters but based on the success of the execution in that movie, it makes it that much easier for his return in The Avengers.

There's also the advantage that Loki doesn't really have to be introduced to audiences. They should have an idea who he is, even if they missed seeing Thor. Bringing in a completely new villain would require time for an introduction. The movie already has to spend time with the team members getting together. Adding in the origin of a villain meant to be the center of the threat the team would face would take too much screen time.

No Caption Provided

Of course, Loki wasn't the only villain available. Because all the Marvel Studios movies are tied together, we could have had Red Skull, Whiplash, Justin Hammer, Abomination as the villain. We could have also had villains from Iron Man, Captain America or Hulk's history pop up. Loki just makes the most sense. Some of the other villains listed above are worthy but Loki has a certain amount of regal charm that makes him perfect for taking on the heroes.

It might have seemed as if using Loki was taking the easy way out since he was already established but given his history with the formation of the team in the comics and the scope of what he's capable of, he was the best choice to be used as the first villain in the cinematic universe.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By VictorGrey

Loki is the most logical choice and I liked his role in Thor . . .

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By saoakden

Well it makes sense since he was the first villain the Avengers fought in the comics, it would make sense to be their first oppenent in the movies. If Loki wasn't I imagine some people would be very pissed off.

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#3  Edited By Mighty Thorion

Loki is the most logical villain as he is the first villain the team faced. The scenes you show above being from the original Avengers#1 means the movie is being true to the comics that spawned it in that respect at least.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Loki was the best choice in my eyes. Howvever some of my non comic reading friends didnt see Loki as a big threat when Thor had previously beaten him on his own. The inclusion of an army to Lokis side made it more intresting but they still basicly said Loki is inferior to Thor in any real battle. The problem woth Loki is that while hes an excellant manipulator and can craft clever and cunning plans in an actual brawl at least two of the Avengers have the better of him in terms of of just fighting. The film played out well in terms of showing jeapoardy for both sides but Loki was essientailly the second threat once his army showed up.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Like everyone else has said, Loki is the most logical choice for the villain.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mbecks14

Because Loki was the original choice and there are no other strong Marvel villains that would make sense on the big screen. Ultron and Kang would take too much explanation.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JamDamage

I was surprised they used Loki, after using him in Thor. I figured, like a lot of us, also because of teaser at the end of Thor showing us the cosmic cube, that the Avengers would have the Red Skull in it as well as maybe at least 1 more baddy that wasn't introduced in the films yet. We all know that's not true so I'm not spoiling anything. I saw the movie, and without spoiling anything, all I will say is that Tom Hiddleston is even better as Loki here. Wheddon, and I am SOOOOO impressed that he did, actually shows every single character, not only better in this film then the other movies they were in, but is going to make a lot of fanboys happy. Not so much the acting, even tho it is good, but 2 major fanboy treats. The physical use of them, you know what I mean when you see it, but the dialogue they use. Loki stands out the most. Wheddons use of Loki's dialogue is pretty dead on of how Loki acts in the comics. There are a few parts where I guarantee that after seeing them, fanboys will notice it right away and smile because ONLY a fanboy will notice the little things Im referring to. There were quite a few times I said to myself, "Wheddon put that in there for the fans, and I wish I could thank him personally for it." To the non-fan boys it'll just be real-good-acting. Wheddon is going to be a happy camper when the film comes out and the fanboys do get to say thank you for the little things, and they will say thank you, but I bet that one of things on Wheddons mind is if the comic fans WILL actually notice. I sure did, and like I already said, it made the movie more special. Like some of those little things were meant just for me even tho everyone else watching it was entertained. All said, it's the perfect comic movie, and it shows that a fan made it, not just a good director. I got off the Loki subject, but after seeing him here, he could have played Magneto, Normon Osborn, Dr Doom and with that smile, the Joker. Im sure the Red Skull too, but really..........how good was Hugo.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By Deadcool

Loki has been perfect in the cinematic universe, in both Thor and the Avengers, the character has shown to be great and likeable to the people, I am happy for this.

venomyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By venomyak

Well the six big bads in Marvel are Dr. Doom, Magneto, Norman Osbourne, Red Skull, Ultron, and Loki. Loki and the Red Skull are the only ones who are in the cinematic universe. Plus I don't see Red Skull as believably taking on the Avengers.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Inverno

Loki is better because he is a manipulative bastard.

Novaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Novaar

Having seen the movie I can say that he IS the logical choice for this movie. Tom plays him fantastically well and plays on one of themes of the movie (which I won't say). Plus he looks awesome in the tweaked outfit!

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordRequiem

Wait until after the credits and there is a nice little surprise for you, which funnily enough, only comic book fans will get.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By GothamRed

I like Loki as the villain, aside from him being the first avengers villain, he's powerful, cunning, and played incredibly well in the movies. I can truly believe that we'd need an entire team of heroes to take him out especially if he had time to prepare. I'm also glad that they did go with extra terrestrial forces like the Kree or the Skrull in this movie because getting into the Kree-Skrull war is too complex and involved a plot for a first outting, maybe next time.

Avatar image for theoriginalsurfer
    TheOriginalSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordRequiem: agreed. my dad was alive when he first appeared in comics and he was telling me all this info about him. he is definitely the right villain for the sequel

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Woodclaw

I think that Loki also works because he's not a purely physical opponent, opposed to many other Avengers' enemies.

Loki had two major advantages. First of all he was an already established character (as noted above); second, having to unravel his plot allowed some significant out-of-combat moments which meant having time to insert team-building sequences without making the story stale.

In my eyes one of the biggest success of Avngers was creating the actual impression of these heroes working together for the first time. They get along well until the ending, for half of the movie they're actually fighting among themselves, which is great to see. Having a plotting villain, as Loki, allowed this to be done without hurting the story.

clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clemj

to me , I think loki was a good choice but the chitauris ... I think the frozen giants would be a better choice... but still: THIS MOVIE IS SO GREAT

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Loki was ideal...can't wait to see it.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Or35ti

Loki was a great choice! and I hope to see Kang, Ultron, Thanos and maybe even the Master of Evil in the future soon

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordRequiem

@TheOriginalSurfer: Yeah, although, thinking about it, Baron Zemo could be pretty cool. But the ball is already in motion, so to speak.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By kagato

I agree, Loki was a fantastic choice for the role and did a great job of setting being both menacing and a little likeable too. It will be very interesting to see what they do with the new bad guy (youll have to watch through the end credits) and if s/he will be in any of the other movies before Avengers 2.

puiwaihin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By puiwaihin

If you look at what was set up in the movies before this came out, and that's important for those whose only introduction to the characters are the movies, Loki is the only villain that makes any sense.

Hulk has Abomination, but that's not even much of a challenge for Hulk by himself.

Captain America has Red Skull and Hydra, but they just did that movie.

Neither of Iron Man's super-villains are in any condition to be putting up a fight and there were no other threads of that story open for continuing things.

And then there's Thor. Loki was out there, cast out, but still a threat, and the kind of threat that would be worthy of the Avengers.

DorianOtten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DorianOtten

why did it come out in Europe first? I'm Irish and seen it on Saturday (amazing, does not disappoint) and was surprised because when i looked it up it said may something US so i assumed the irish one'd be after. wasn't until my girlfriend pointed it out..?

Mrakbarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrakbarman

I loved the movie because of Loki! Superb performance by the actor

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

Well of course he was ideal. He was their first villain.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eyz

I think he really works well. The story reminded me of a more action-heavy "Hollywood" take on the comics Avengers Origins by Phil Noto.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By fodigg

Loki's perfect because he's two things at once:

• Simple and generic
    • Established within the movie-verse as a complex villain

For those that want to go in blind, well most people have heard the name Loki and vaguely know what he's about. For those who want depth, they can watch the Thor film, where he was portrayed as both a loyal brother and son of Asgard and yet a power-hungry tyrant and repugnant racist toward his own heritage.

He is simultaneously the generic mustache-twirling villain, and yet—mostly thanks to good casting—a complicated character composed of balanced internal inconsistencies. The complexity is there if you want to look for it, but he's still easy to take in at a glance.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jcbart

I believe Loki was crucial in the success of The Avengers. Joss writes a very nicely updated version of the first Avengers story, in my eyes. Loki manipulates, and toys, and smiles as his work unfolds. We see this in the movie. I won't go into further detail, but the fact that he was an already very much established character allowed the movie to start with a boom and get right into the story without a lingering and interfering origin story in the way.

Oh, and Tom Hiddleston was impeccably cast. There's a particular scene about halfway through that blew me away. His snarling and expressions oozes terrifying villain just as much, if not more than Heath Ledger's Joker.

Joss wrote the perfect comic book movie, and then he went and made it better by directing it.

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By sladewilson30

I was actually hoping that they would use all of the villains from the other films to create the Masters of Evil, but Loki and his army sound like they will work just fine.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
    Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

I believe it was a great movie and the story was quite good.I also believe that it could be a good opportunity to introduce a couple more villains like Rhino who could be created by Loki to fight the Hulk or the Leader(who has been introduced to the public in Incredible Hulk as a villain for the sequel)who could be teaming,or better forced to work with Loki.They did a similar thing with the heroes,like the way they introduced Black Widow to the public through Iron-Man 2 or Hawkeye through Thor's movie.Radioactive-Man could also be in the movie,or maybe Shocker,Mr Hyde or(why not?) Titania. Nevertheless the movie is still great that way.

P.S. Like i said,"The Avengers" is a great movie but what I'd like to see one day is "The Ultimates" or "X-Force".

Nuff said....

Oldskool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldskool

I already saw the movie last thursday here in Holland and saw the teaser at the end credits. I got so exited when I saw who the next villain is going to be! Damn!!
    pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#31  Edited By pspin

Maybe the Hulk is so angry because his head used to be a square....

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By DanialCarroll

I much prefer the villain in the credit scene, but they require a bit more setting up than Loki I think :)

fluffypigeons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fluffypigeons

GREAT LOGIC!!!!!!!

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Loki is MY BOY! He is one my favorite villains of all time! Ever since Thor came out, I loved his history through the ages.

Loki: Villain of the Year!

Avatar image for thewalkingcomicbookfan
    TheWalkingComicbookfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Novaar said:

Having seen the movie I can say that he IS the logical choice for this movie. Tom plays him fantastically well and plays on one of themes of the movie (which I won't say). Plus he looks awesome in the tweaked outfit!

Totally agree!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Darkchild

@VictorGrey said:

Loki is the most logical choice and I liked his role in Thor . . .

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mumbles

thought loki was the first cause he was the first avengers villian. also, he was introduced in the thor movie so the movie doesn't have to spend 15 mins backgrounding him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Lvenger

Loki is the perfect choice to be the Avengers villain. He was the threat the Avengers united to face first in the comic books and Tom Hiddleston plays Loki fantastically in Thor. I expect great things of him in the Avengers.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Martian

@pspin said:

Maybe the Hulk is so angry because his head used to be a square....

LOL

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Miss_Garrick

If they tried to create a new - just for the movie - villian, "Avengers" would bomb. There's really no other villian out there worth considering besides the guy who got the Avengers together in the first place.

Any other big time villian (Doom, Magneto, etc.) would be for one of the other Marvel heroes. Baron Zemo jr. or Ultron are the only other cool Avengers villians out there, and I don't see a logical reason for them to be in the movie at all. Sequel, maybe.

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

So I guess I'm like the only person on here who didn't want to see Loki as the villain. Someone already posted one of my points: He was already in the Thor movie, and Thor took care of him more or less by himself. The Avengers fight "the foes no single superhero can withstand". Hydra would've been the better choice if they wanted to use a villain from the past movies, no real need to tell their backstory and more than enough baddies for everyone to fight instead of giving an army to a trickster. This multiple hero team-up movie is something we haven't seen before, so I felt the villain/s should've also been something we haven't seen before. That's why I would've also liked the Skrulls as the villains, cause that would've been a threat none of them would've seen coming. There is no rule saying you'd have to spend 15 min. telling the backstory of them while making the movie stale. This whole catering to the non-geeks and non-comic readers for a bigger opening weekend payouts is why producers feel the need to slow the movies down with backstory.

I'm pretty sure I may catch some flack over this but The Ultimate Avengers story would've been cool. Yeah I know it wouldn't match up with the movies we already seen, but we see in the trailers and from other posts that they fight amongst each other in the beginning movie so why not make their first foe the Super-Hulk that Banner turned into. The only problem I would've had with this story is Captain America leg sweeping The Hulk, but I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

TheDealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheDealer

Loki is awesome.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By dewboy01

Or Korvac.

rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By rigormortis

I still feel like Red Skull's gonna pop up at some point. If you watch his "death" in Captain America, he is clearly transported to Asgard seeing as it looks just like the portals opened by the Bifrost and they make a big deal of how the Tesseract is an Asgardian relic. My guess is he's somehow involved with Loki and the studio's keeping it on the down low. And if he doesn't show up in Avengers, then definitely any sequel they make.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By jumpstart55

Red Skull would have been the better choice imo.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wdchefdave

Please... NO KANG!

I hated that character in his first issue!

He has been done to death... and Loki is pretty close!

One Ultron only!

And, it better be good.

(I still remember an Avengers comic, drawn by Barry W. Smith, where the colorist got the colors wrong when Ironman and Ultron clash... and they both look like Ironman!)

The actor that plays Loki is GREAT!

Now, once this is over... let's be very careful not to make people tired at the theater.

Dr. Doom, Loki, and Magneto are not all the villains in the world.

And, they rot a film out after a while.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tximinoman

Best Marvel movie ever, you guys are going to love it this weekend.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By TheHeat

I loved Tom's performance as Loki in the Thor movie. He was definitely perfect to be the Avengers film's antagonist.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think the movie just obviously was paying its utmost respect to the comics and establish Loki as the enemy who would bring the team together. Anyone else, it just wouldn't have fit right. From this point...I have only to wait 53 more hours before I can see the movie with my friends. Can't wait!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lykopis

Loki impressed people in the Thor movie. He was a safe bet.

Can't wait to see The Avengers on the weekend -- fan-girl party night!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.