Who is smarter than Lex Luthor?

  • 61 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for deadpool101
#1 Posted by deadpool101 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor is the smartest man in the entire DCU. People always say brain beats brawn. That's how Batman defeats super-powered enemies. But if brain beats brawn, why hasn't Luthor beaten Superman yet? And, my secondary question is who is smarter than Lex in DC or Marvel?
Avatar image for son_of_magnus
#2 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15463 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deadpool101
#3 Posted by deadpool101 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the Braniacs I guess. What about in Marvel?
Avatar image for atphantom
#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool101 said:
"But if brain beats brawn, why hasn't Luthor beaten Superman yet?"
Because Superman is
1. much more than just brawn, power wise.
2. Actually pretty bright.
Avatar image for degraaf
#5 Posted by DEGRAAF (8400 posts) - - Show Bio

DC UNIVERSE 
Brainiac (original & 5) i would presume all brainiacs would be 
Superman (Debatable) 
Bruce Wayne (equal to- also debatable) 
Professor Ivo  
T.O. Marrow
 
MARVEL UNIVERSE 
Reed Richards 
Hank Pym 
Hank McCoy 
Evil Beast 
Amadus Cho 
Tony Stark (before Dark Reign and after Dismantled) 
Bruce Banner 
DR. Doom 
 
im sure there are handfuls more
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
#6 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

1. because he needs Superman. he could pull it off, though Superman is one of the most resilient super-heros around, always achieving the impossible. but Luthor needs Superman to complete him. if Superman wasnt there, he wouldnt have his competition, so there
would be nothing more to do. 
2. way too many to list. doesnt denote Luthor either but theres alot of characters. when Marvel names off its " most intelligent "
characters its not even coming close to the truth for example.

Avatar image for deadpool101
#7 Posted by deadpool101 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Um Batman is smart but not Luthor smart. Neither is Tony Stark. And in non-cannon things like the JLU show, Luthor has outsmarted Braniacs. I will give credit to the others though. But Luthor does seem a tad superior t them, they could prbaby give him a run for his money. And I totally understand the "you complete me" stuff. It's partly why i love the joker so much. but with luthor, it just seems like "without superman, i'd be king of the world. so he needs to die" sorta thing. maybe im wrong.
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#8 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool101: Batman is indeed smarter then Lex. Lex is cunning, he's really not all that intelligent.
Avatar image for atphantom
#9 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @deadpool101: Batman is indeed smarter then Lex. Lex is cunning, he's really not all that intelligent. "
Not really intelligent? He worked out a cure for cancer in his sister's kitchen while dressed in his prison outfit. And then he worked out an antidote for his cure for cancer. He's a freaking intellectual beast when written right.
Avatar image for geraldthesloth
#10 Posted by geraldthesloth (32689 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: I remember that..Lex giveth, Lex taketh..Lex Luthor is a d-bag.
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#11 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @deadpool101: Batman is indeed smarter then Lex. Lex is cunning, he's really not all that intelligent. "
Not really intelligent? He worked out a cure for cancer in his sister's kitchen while dressed in his prison outfit. And then he worked out an antidote for his cure for cancer. He's a freaking intellectual beast when written right. "
Maybe I worded it incorrectly, but curing cancer, all be it impressive for us, isn't all that impressive when compared to say Batman creating a Time Machine.
Avatar image for atphantom
#12 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @deadpool101: Batman is indeed smarter then Lex. Lex is cunning, he's really not all that intelligent. "
Not really intelligent? He worked out a cure for cancer in his sister's kitchen while dressed in his prison outfit. And then he worked out an antidote for his cure for cancer. He's a freaking intellectual beast when written right. "
Maybe I worded it incorrectly, but curing cancer, all be it impressive for us, isn't all that impressive when compared to say Batman creating a Time Machine. "
Batman made a time machine?
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#13 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @deadpool101: Batman is indeed smarter then Lex. Lex is cunning, he's really not all that intelligent. "
Not really intelligent? He worked out a cure for cancer in his sister's kitchen while dressed in his prison outfit. And then he worked out an antidote for his cure for cancer. He's a freaking intellectual beast when written right. "
Maybe I worded it incorrectly, but curing cancer, all be it impressive for us, isn't all that impressive when compared to say Batman creating a Time Machine. "
Batman made a time machine? "
My bad it wasnt a time machine it was a teleporter.
Avatar image for illituracy
#14 Posted by iLLituracy (13545 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for atphantom
#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
"Batman made a time machine? "
My bad it wasnt a time machine it was a teleporter. "
Okay, but that's something that comes standard with the job. You can't be a proper super person without one. :P
 
My point was that Lex made a cure for cancer without resources. No labs, no high tech equipment, no millions of dollars to spend. Just the stuff you find in your kitchen (Plus superboy getting some ingredients). They just asked him "can you cure it?" and he said "Sure, just give me a minute."
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#16 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" Okay, but that's something that comes standard with the job. You can't be a proper super person without one. :P  My point was that Lex made a cure for cancer without resources. No labs, no high tech equipment, no millions of dollars to spend. Just the stuff you find in your kitchen (Plus superboy getting some ingredients). They just asked him "can you cure it?" and he said "Sure, just give me a minute." "
That is pretty impressive then. Out of curiosity what items did Superboy get?
Avatar image for degraaf
#17 Posted by DEGRAAF (8400 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
"Batman made a time machine? "
My bad it wasnt a time machine it was a teleporter. "
Okay, but that's something that comes standard with the job. You can't be a proper super person without one. :P  My point was that Lex made a cure for cancer without resources. No labs, no high tech equipment, no millions of dollars to spend. Just the stuff you find in your kitchen (Plus superboy getting some ingredients). They just asked him "can you cure it?" and he said "Sure, just give me a minute." "

it wasnt really cancer tho was it? i thought she was just paralyzed.  
 
Also another one to add to the list would be Mr. Terrific
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#18 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio

Just for giggles.
 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for atphantom
#19 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: Not all were shown, but he did get a hair from a Bizarro (not THE Bizarro, but some guy from Bizarro world), a giant bone from Themyscira and some prehistoric herb.
Avatar image for son_of_magnus
#20 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15463 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex made the cure for cancer in like five minutes as well as a way to instantly give someone cancer he is way smarter than some of the listed on this page

Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#21 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler: Not all were shown, but he did get a hair from a Bizarro (not THE Bizarro, but some guy from Bizarro world), a giant bone from Themyscira and some prehistoric herb. "
Thats pretty cool. But the nature and specific items listed, leads me to believe he had already discovered the cure before this instance. Know what I'm saying?
Avatar image for atphantom
#22 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler: Not all were shown, but he did get a hair from a Bizarro (not THE Bizarro, but some guy from Bizarro world), a giant bone from Themyscira and some prehistoric herb. "
Thats pretty cool. But the nature and specific items listed, leads me to believe he had already discovered the cure before this instance. Know what I'm saying? "
Yes, I can see that. However the comic itself doesn't give that impression. This isn't something I can really prove to you, though. It's just the general atmosphere of the comic indicates that Lex is making this up on the fly. : )
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#23 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler: Not all were shown, but he did get a hair from a Bizarro (not THE Bizarro, but some guy from Bizarro world), a giant bone from Themyscira and some prehistoric herb. "
Thats pretty cool. But the nature and specific items listed, leads me to believe he had already discovered the cure before this instance. Know what I'm saying? "
Yes, I can see that. However the comic itself doesn't give that impression. This isn't something I can really prove to you, though. It's just the general atmosphere of the comic indicates that Lex is making this up on the fly. : ) "
Yeah I'm just speculating myself. Do you happen to remember off hand which comic and issue number this happens in?
Avatar image for atphantom
#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler: Not all were shown, but he did get a hair from a Bizarro (not THE Bizarro, but some guy from Bizarro world), a giant bone from Themyscira and some prehistoric herb. "
Thats pretty cool. But the nature and specific items listed, leads me to believe he had already discovered the cure before this instance. Know what I'm saying? "
Yes, I can see that. However the comic itself doesn't give that impression. This isn't something I can really prove to you, though. It's just the general atmosphere of the comic indicates that Lex is making this up on the fly. : ) "
Yeah I'm just speculating myself. Do you happen to remember off hand which comic and issue number this happens in? "
Adventure comics 6. latest.
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#25 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: Good lookin out
Avatar image for jean_luc_lebeau
#26 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (82985 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to clarify, he doesn't cure cancer, but he does give her the ability to walk again (before taking it away). Its still impressive but he had more then just kitchen supplies and the items Superboy got him. He had a table full of notes and documents so I'm pretty sure its something he had been working on before this specific circumstance. But its still a badass feat.

Avatar image for son_of_magnus
#27 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15463 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite or Lex will give you cancer take it away and give it back to you just because he is that much of a a-hole

Avatar image for king_saturn
#28 Posted by King Saturn (220735 posts) - - Show Bio
Bugs Bunny
Online
Avatar image for atphantom
#29 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Just to clarify, he doesn't cure cancer, but he does give her the ability to walk again (before taking it away). Its still impressive but he had more then just kitchen supplies and the items Superboy got him. He had a table full of notes and documents so I'm pretty sure its something he had been working on before this specific circumstance. But its still a badass feat. "
That would be it. I thought it was cancer. My bad. But I do remember they said the papers on the table were his sister's medical files.
Avatar image for deadpool101
#30 Posted by deadpool101 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay anyone who thinks Lex is not as smart as Bats needs to read "Superman: Birthright". Lex Luthor is definitely the smartest man in the world. The original Mr. Terriffic was maybe as smart, but his inability to see that other people didn't believe in "fair play" as much as him makes him below Luthor's brainpower. Lex Luthor became president despite a horrible record of killing, and trying to take over the world. That takes some intelligece. Batman built a teleportr? That's stupid. He's good with gadgets but when he gets too sci-fi ish it's annoying. Anyways, Luthor built a freaking Braniac body suit. Luthor figured out how to neutralize Firestorm's powers (which was helped by Firestorm cuz Jason published scientific papers explaininghow his powers worked but...). Luthor is a genius. And in Marvel, Norman Osborn came up with a cure for cancer and turned it into a weapo against Deadpool.  If Osborn can do it, so ca Lex. Not to mention, Luthor has made contact with alien life (even alien life that doesn't exist anymore through loopholes in time and space that he created). He has given people superpowers with his everyman project. 
 
So I think Mr. Terrific and Batman ae not up to Lex-standards. 
 

 
Avatar image for ohtru
#31 Posted by OhTru (1603 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Just for giggles.
 "
Brilliant
 
owned!
Avatar image for son_of_magnus
#32 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15463 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Just to clarify, he doesn't cure cancer, but he does give her the ability to walk again (before taking it away). Its still impressive but he had more then just kitchen supplies and the items Superboy got him. He had a table full of notes and documents so I'm pretty sure its something he had been working on before this specific circumstance. But its still a badass feat. "
Wow just read that way to make me look like an @$$ Gam =P
Avatar image for degraaf
#33 Posted by DEGRAAF (8400 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Gambler said:
" Just to clarify, he doesn't cure cancer, but he does give her the ability to walk again (before taking it away). Its still impressive but he had more then just kitchen supplies and the items Superboy got him. He had a table full of notes and documents so I'm pretty sure its something he had been working on before this specific circumstance. But its still a badass feat. "
That would be it. I thought it was cancer. My bad. But I do remember they said the papers on the table were his sister's medical files. "

thats true, they did say that he was looking at her files, i still felt (as i was reading the comic) that he had the solution prior to this event and just did not have the resources as well as didnt care to gather the resources.
Avatar image for geraldthesloth
#34 Posted by geraldthesloth (32689 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has many more people smarter than Lex
 
so does Marvel.

Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
#35 Posted by the human Juggernaut (7276 posts) - - Show Bio

Sivana is smarter than Luthor in DC.

Avatar image for reactor
#36 Posted by Reactor (3702 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" DC has many more people smarter than Lex  so does Marvel. "
Avatar image for glforthewin
#37 Posted by glforthewin (2386 posts) - - Show Bio

metron's smarter than him

Avatar image for yodagod
#38 Posted by yodagod (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

DC 
Ray Palmer 
Ryan Choi 
Abra Kadabra 
TO Morrow 
Mr Terrific 
maybe Sivana 
maybe Dr Magnus 
I'd say that Gorilla Grodd and the Brainiacs are about equal to Lex  
Marvel 
Reed Richards  
Kang (all versions)
Bruce Banner  
Dr Doom 
Henry Mccoy (both versions) 
Hank Pym  
Tony Stark
Black Panther 
Amadeus Cho  
Apocalypse 
Prodigy  
Kid Omega
Avatar image for deadpool101
#39 Posted by deadpool101 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

 
 
Oh and Lex built a teleporter too. Uses it in Teen Titans. Pops by to leave a get well card for Superboy only issues before the boy of steel dies. Here's a question: Who would win in a fight: Lex Luthor or Norman Osborn?
Avatar image for grimreaper1980
#40 Posted by grimreaper1980 (677 posts) - - Show Bio

victor von doom

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
#41 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19149 posts) - - Show Bio

Metron
Metron
Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
#42 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

The question

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#43 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (11456 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr Doom

Avatar image for wolverine008
#44 Posted by Wolverine008 (50832 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr Fantastic and Doctor Doom.

Avatar image for squalleon
#45 Posted by Squalleon (9898 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor is the brightest human of the DCU but like Superman he is treated by mediocre writers most of the time and as a result he doesn't have the feats batman has or Mr.Fantastic.Superman isn't just brawn he actually is one of the smartest in the DCU so the brain vs brawn argument is too simple to explain the situation.

Just throwing in it out there most of the times Superman has died in comics Luthor was the cause.

  • All star Superman
  • Red Son
  • The death of Superman (the Silver age version)

Avatar image for attatje
#46 Posted by attatje (1384 posts) - - Show Bio

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ozymandias

well Ozymandias

Avatar image for the_stegman
#47 Posted by The Stegman (35891 posts) - - Show Bio

No human in DC, maybe a few in Marvel like Reed Richards

Avatar image for primebonnick
#48 Posted by Primebonnick (3811 posts) - - Show Bio

to tell the god honest truth i know no other human in the DC universe that is smarter or as smart as lex. He is the only human i know that is labelled as a 12 level intellect

Avatar image for trinidadsuperman
#49 Edited by trinidadsuperman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex is the smartest HUMAN in the Dc Universe bruce isnt even close. Lex became a god once and has immensive amount of tech at his disposal. Brainiac is the smartest being in the Dc universe and then comes others like Metron. I find it silly that someone mentions batman building a teleporter as if thats revolutionary. Im pretty sure every scientist in comics has built a teleporter of some sort in their time lol. But Lex is smarter no doubt

Avatar image for senglord
#50 Posted by senglord (2713 posts) - - Show Bio

@trinidadsuperman: I read both volumes of Black Ring. Brainiac did most of the heavy lifting, then Lex got the epic win due to some ruthlessness and massive PIS on Brainiac's part. And if Superman:Brainiac is to be believed, he has yet to actually deal with the 12th level intellect on panel.

P.S. Lex is about as smart as Tony Stark or Bruce Banner, which is a decent but not large bit smarter than Bruce Wayne. As Tony and Banner have spammed time machine paradoxes, while Lex has shown no such initiative to possibly destroy his own universe... Wow Age of Ultron was stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.