Follow

Legion of Super-Heroes

Team » Legion of Super-Heroes appears in 1647 issues.

The Legion of Super-Heroes are a team of teen-age super-heroes in the 30th and 31st centuries of the DC Universe who were inspired by the adventures of Superboy/Clark Kent/Kal-El (Pre-Crisis). Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl are the founding members.

What reason you think LOSH was canned outside of sales?

tofupatty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been reading this comic book since I could remember. My parents used to have the golden age issues back when it was a club house along with Batman, Superman, X-men, and Spiderman. I got into it because the concept of kids with superpowers seemed cool (like the power pack.)

I personally think the reason why LOSH is being canned after 40+ years (which didn't surprise me,) is because the series has been rebooted and rehashed too many times. It used to be about teenagers with superpowers. Then it got all angsty when people started to die like Invisible kid, one of Triplicate girl's sisters, Karate kid, Supergirl, etc. Then they became adults and it got even more dark, i.e. similar to Batman and Detective comics.

I'm guessing DC wanted to go back to when they were kids for the new 90s generation so the SW6 batch was made and confusion, confusion, god confusion happened. Then Zero hour happened and the whole series was rebooted.

I personally didn't mind the reboot. Not the SW6 Reboot but the actual Post Zero hour reboot. It had original ideas with old. It was confusing as hell due to SW6 coming first and them not saying "well this is us starting over and THIS isn't related to THAT," but afterwards I got it. Not that many people died this time around (only one when it first started out,) and I liked it. It lasted for a while, with dark and light elements but they were still teenagers (starting off around 14-15 and ended up being around 17 or so?) so I could related to it as I grew up.

Then it got rebooted again in such an off hand fashion that left a bitter taste in my mouth. I stuck around due to being a fan but god I was even more confused with this version (3boot?) They didn't seem like teenagers. Looked WAY too old. What was going on, etc. Then when I got used to that it was rebooted, once again.

So I feel that 52 was the final nail in the coffin. Them trying to go back to the original recipe style after so many years wasn't the best idea. I personally felt that they should had just stuck with the one reboot (or any reboot,) and left it alone. Work off of that. If someone left pursue their ideas or work with them. Not reboot it again and again and yet again because you wanted to see X work or an idea that you didn't enjoy. Rebooting confuses fans because each 'Reboot,' was different. It had basic ideas like Cosmic boy having his original powers but personalities in some cases were changed 100%. People who didn't die did die. Relationships changed. Origins changed. How 'this' version related to 'the previous version.' I could go on.

What's your opinion? How do you think they should of handled the LOSH? What do you think they should had done to make it better? What they should had left alone in the past.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think it was of poor quality storywise. I haven't read it but i haven't seen even one positive review about the book.

ReggieMarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Say what you want about Jim Shooter, but THREE times he came on to the book and ran with what had been done and added the the mythology. Paul Levitz came back for a third time and took the group back to what it was 20 years earlier. Mark Waid had a fresh take on the series (TWICE!). Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning had a very successful run on the book, enough to cause Wizard magazine to name it Book of the Month. I think Levitz just got tired of the book and decided to kill it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

I think it was of poor quality storywise. I haven't read it but i haven't seen even one positive review about the book.

LOL. I was about to comment the same thing 9 months later.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

They gave up on it.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

I think jacked up continuity is part of the issue. Plus biases against "lad" and "lass" names.

Personally, they put most of my favorite legionnaires (Timberwolf, Dawnstar, Wildfire) into Legion Lost. So I followed that book. Then they had the stupid Culling crossover so that book got dropped.

I am following up on the proper LoSH Nu52 title. I have to say the first few issues were jarring and hard to follow. I think Levitz may have been following older pre-nu52 storylines. Once I got a few issues in I started enjoying the title more. Most consumers will not be that patient.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.