Follow

Legacy Virus

Concept » Legacy Virus appears in 120 issues.

The legacy virus was a biological weapon engineered and released by the madman Stryfe for the purpose of killing all mutants. The plague lasted for years and killed many mutants and a few humans.

The Legacy Virus

Pixie Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Pixie Death

What are the symptoms? Or does it just automatically kill a person?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Practically nobody died from it considering the amount of time spent on it. Lots of coughing, debilitated physical condition, think full blown AIDS with no medication. I think it was created to be analogous to AIDS.

Pixie Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pixie Death

thx 4 the info!

Pixie Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pixie Death

Is it contagious?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I dunno, Moira MacTaggert contracted it but was working with it a lot. I guess not since no one that was around Pyro or Madrox for instance caught it.

GuardianAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GuardianAngel

I've never heard of the Legacy virus. What universe is this--Marvel?

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Phorqe

Yes, Marvel. Didn't Colossus' sister die from it? Pyro too?

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Pania

The Legacy Virus was contagious, but not extremely. Probably like AIDS, it was passed along bodily fluids. There were tens of thousand of cases, and while few main characters died from it (Illyana Rasputin, Pyro, Moira MacTaggart) thousands of the mutant population died. It hit Genosha especially hard as the country was war torn with little infrastructure, and there was little to no medical assistance from the outside world (at least I didn't see any Medecins Sans Frontieres tents up).

It attacked the mutant's genetic structure, using the X-Factor gene to replicate, and caused initial symptoms of repertory distress, eventually spreading into the autonomic nervous system putting the victim into complete cardiac arrest.

Basing his work on Moira's research (she had come very close to finding the cure), Hank McCoy (Beast) was the one who eventually found the cure. However (and be prepared to throw everything you know about science out the window, folks) it required the death of a mutant in order to disseminate it into the atmosphere. Colossus sacrificed himself in order to accomplish this and the virus was cured, worldwide, overnight.

Cop out, I know.
    Post Edited:2007-12-02 11:50:49

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Forgot about Genosha. Thats a cop out too though. Even as a reader you could care less. "10,000 Genoshans died? Ok...is Wolverine alright?"

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pania

Yeah pretty much. Like M-Day, Marvel only allowed it to touch the mutant community symbolically, rather than working it so that it actually had in impact.

Though it did lead into Eve of Destruction...which was short and not-that-great.

Pixie Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pixie Death
    " Ok...is Wolverine alright?""

Yeah. Laughing It's funny how people only seem to worry about him. I'd be worried about more than just him. "What about Jubilee, or Rogue?" Of course Wolverine would be okay! He's got a healing factor!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Darkchild

The legacy virus was a contagious virus like star said kinda like full blown aids. Killed few but the cure was the kicker. The cure had to be injected into a mutant and that said mutant had to use their power but the side affect of this the cure would also kill the host injected into.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phorqe

How did they explain Colossus coming back anyway. I saw when he came back, someone was trying to shoot kitty, she turned intangible and the bullet bounced of Colossus, but they didn't give any reason in that issue.

Pixie Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pixie Death

So, if someone doesn't get the cure, won't they eventually die?

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pania

The cure was disseminated worldwide through the air. The Legacy Virus doesn't exist anymore (except in Hank's lab, I assume).
    Post Edited:2007-12-03 17:15:18

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pania

Phorqe says:

"How did they explain Colossus coming back anyway. I saw when he came back, someone was trying to shoot kitty, she turned intangible and the bullet bounced of Colossus, but they didn't give any reason in that issue."

The next issue they explained that Ord had taken Colossus, revived him with his alien technology, and kept him locked up in the Benetech labs for tissue samples and experimentation.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phorqe

Pania says:

"Phorqe says:
    "How did they explain Colossus coming back anyway. I saw when he came back, someone was trying to shoot kitty, she turned intangible and the bullet bounced of Colossus, but they didn't give any reason in that issue."

The next issue they explained that Ord had taken Colossus, revived him with his alien technology, and kept him locked up in the Benetech labs for tissue samples and experimentation.

"

Oh yeah, that's right. Who the hell is Ord? I swear they make up characters just to resurrect old ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.