Follow

Kraven the Hunter

Character » Kraven the Hunter appears in 931 issues.

A famous big game hunter, who became a mercenary and later, developed an intense obsession with restoring honor to his name. Kraven has been known as a major threat for Spider-Man and leaving a legacy during his demise.

Why Kraven the Hunter Deserves a Comic

• 70 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

For many people, Kraven's Last Hunt revealed just how interesting Sergei Kravinoff can be. Despite what some may think, he's so much more than just a hunter in a silly costume who's obsessed with Spider-Man. When he did finally defeat Parker and proved to himself he's better than the hero, he took his own life. To him, there was no accomplishment greater than being Spidey's superior. That's right, Doctor Octopus, Kraven beat you to it.

"My eyes are up here, Spider."

Years later, Grim Huntresurrected the villain. Just like many others, I was skeptical about this story. How can you top the brilliant Kraven's Last Hunt and undo its ending in a way that'll stay true to the character? Thankfully, it was a worthy follow-up and, because of how he was brought back to life, Kraven cannot take his own life yet again. Before his resurrection, he was incredibly formidable. Not only was he a gifted hand-to-hand combatant with an extensive knowledge of pressure points (Parker can vouch for that), but he's physically superior to humans. He can run in bursts of 60 miles per hour, lift around 2 tons, has the agility required to not eat Spider-Man's dust and the durability required to withstand a number of the webhead's impressive punches. Basically, he's a tough dude; not just a human fighting way out of his weight class like some seem to think. But his resurrection gave him a new advantage: immortality.

Kraven can survive any wound and recover at an accelerated rate. He's been stabbed in the heart twice and even assaulted by the Hulk. Only a fatal blow from Peter Parker (or one of his clones) can end his life. To some, this power would be a blessing. To him, it's a curse. He died on his own terms and didn't want to come back. Now, he's destined to live forever because Spider-Man and even Kaine refused to end his life, once and for all. Technically, Kaine did kill him, but he jump-started Kraven's heart shortly afterwards. However, this did not lift the curse because UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 confirms Sergei is still, for the most part, unkillable.

Squirrel Girl: the voice of reason.
    Squirrel Girl: the voice of reason.

It's understandable why this development would take a toll on his emotions. He found happiness and determined how his life would end. Now -- against his will -- he was brought back to life and cannot return to the eternal sleep he desires. Control of his life is no longer in his hands. He tried to resolve this in the pages of BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR and SCARLET SPIDER, but nothing worked. Let's take a minute to really give this some proper thought. The guy is all about challenging himself and overcoming the most difficult obstacles possible. On Marvel's Earth, Spider-Man isn't exactly at the top of the food chain. That isn't a jab at Peter, just a fact. Spidey's blend of speed, agility, strength and determination makes him a worthy opponent, but there's more powerful characters out there and plenty who offer totally different kinds of challenges. Seeing as Kraven can recover from any wound and he's an intelligent man, this should motivate him to seek out new challenges. Wolverine may be deceased (for now), but what about Sabretooth? Or Elektra? Or how about the former members of the Sinister Six? This dude's bucket list should be the length of a Game of Thrones book because, when it comes to worthy combatants, there's countless options on the planet.

Squirrel Girl gave him the epiphany he truly needed. "Stop chasing death and instead chase bigger challenges." I don't think any of us expected that realization to come from such a lighthearted series, but there you have it. Seeing as All-New Marvel is going to take place on Battleword, this seems like the perfect time for a Kraven series. This planet would be paradise for Kraven. Every country will offer completely different challenges and tons of story potential. One day he could be taking on the X-Men (something he did a long time ago), the next he could be in Old Man Logan's twisted country or observing targets in the Planet Hulk region. Better yet, imagine him in the Age of Apocalypse! Only the strong survive, yes? Seems fitting for this fellow. While the announcement of Battleworld seems to have fans pretty divided, this is something that would be thrilling to Sergei and offer endless hunts. He always wants to test himself and this is the best place to do just that.

"Battleworld? You better take me there, Marvel! I demand to go... just remind me to pack my pants."

"That sounds pretty fun, but wouldn't a book that's just pure action get repetitive?" That's a valid point, random reader! No series should become formulaic, and even though there's a huge diversity of targets for him, it would still be "In this chapter, Kraven hunts *insert name here*!" But there's more to Kraven than just the hunt; there's also his family.

There were once many Kravinoffs. Sergei had a wife, Sasha, and three children: Vladimir, Alyosha and Ana. Out of that group, only Ana remains and she wants nothing more than to prove to her father that she is worthy of the Kravinoff name. This means the series won't only focus on Kraven pushing himself, it'll also focus on him attempting to be a mentor. It's like a slightly twisted version of the dynamic over in BATMAN AND ROBIN. An entire arc could focus on Sergei stepping back and seeing what Ana is capable of on her own. Has he trained her well enough? How will he react to her victory or failure? Can an extended relationship even last between these two? There's plenty of ways the story can go. As many of you probably know, he also has a half-brother: Chameleon. He probably shouldn't be a reoccurring character, but there's definitely multiple possibilities with him as well.

More of this, please.
    More of this, please.

In a perfect world, the current creative team behind ELEKTRA would be on this title. W. Haden Blackman has taken a familiar story and filled it with so much creativity. These hunts would be full of imagination and exploring the countries would be both gripping and insightful. There's no doubt he'd give these characters plenty of depth, too. Meanwhile, Michael Del Mundo's pages are nothing short of brilliant and he'd do a stunning job bringing the various settings and action scenes to life.

Is a Kraven series likely to happen? Probably not. I can't imagine the publisher having a lot of confidence in its ability to sell well, no matter how talented the creative team may be. But maybe -- just maybe -- an exciting and engaging enough story could win them over. It has the potential to tell a great story while also showcasing everything that Marvel's all-new world has to offer. Even if it lasts less than 20 issues, having a short and sweet story is much better than not having one at all.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

I could name 100 character I would rather see get a book before a villain who hasn't been cool since the 80s. >.<

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Thor-Parker

It would be cool, but you know who really deserves an ongoing.

Doctor Doom

No Caption Provided
    Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because he is russian.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Yes. So much yes.

Kraven is the rare villain who can carry a series without it being repetitive.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

YOU GET A COMIC, AND YOU GET A COMIC! EVERYONE GETS A COMIC!!!

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n

Ugh, such a boring character! Always hated the cartoons and issues he was in as a kid. Gotta disagree on this one, Man of Katz.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'd buy it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Great article, but this seems like it could work better as a limited series. A Marvel series showcasing villains for a few issues each would be cool too

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 100% agree with this article. A Kraven series would be fantastic if done right.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n

Ugh, such a boring character! Always hated the cartoons and issues he was in as a kid. Gotta disagree on this one, Man of Katz.

Did you read Kraven's Last Hunt or Grim Hunt, though? I'm guessing those might give you a different opinion of the character. If not, oh well! To each their own.

Next week: Why Rhino Deserves a Comic! :)

Yes. So much yes.

Kraven is the rare villain who can carry a series without it being repetitive.

Most definitely. As long as it's in the right hands, of course. What would you want to see in it?

bravemav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be coold, but you know who really deserves an ongoing.

Doctor Doom

No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see a small run going, but not an on going. I am not a fan either, I honestly can think of a dozen other people he could hunt, that are more of a challenge then spider-man, but he is fixated on him. I am surprised S.G. had to be the one to tell him that. The whole thing made me respect him less.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Grim Hunt yes, Last Hunt no. The Gauntlet featured some of my favorite single issue stories ever (I'm looking at you, Joe Casey's Rhino issue), but Kraven has just never connected with me. You make a good case here, but I can't say it's a book I'd read.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@liveforever said:

@k4tzm4n: Grim Hunt yes, Last Hunt no. The Gauntlet featured some of my favorite single issue stories ever (I'm looking at you, Joe Casey's Rhino issue), but Kraven has just never connected with me. You make a good case here, but I can't say it's a book I'd read.

I can see his story in Grim Hunt not being that impactful if you didn't real KLH. And yeah, those two Rhino issues were incredible.

@bigl said:

Great article, but this seems like it could work better as a limited series. A Marvel series showcasing villains for a few issues each would be cool too

A limited series is better than nothing! As long as it's like 6 issues or so and not just 3.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@k4tzm4n: Kraven needs a bit of a Highlander feel to it. Travel the world, seek new challenges, and all that.

It'd be interesting to see Kraven walk the line between hero and villain, challenge himself with doing the right thing and help people on occasion, and learn strength in mercy and altruism.

Eventually of course.

Cullen Bunn, after seeing his work with Sinestro, could handle this title as well.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: You know... now that you brought it up, I'm actually a bit surprised how FEW genuinely "normal" but almost totally undying heroes and villains there are in Marvel considering how popular the Highlander was at the early 90's.

I'd have bought such issues when I was kid.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If Mike Zeck is drawing it then i'm buying it.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

~MiB

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@k4tzm4n: I've been wanting more Kraven for ages.

I'd like a new team, here me out.

Ares return still believes himself an Avenger, Avengers aren't interested ("screw them I'll get my own team"). He remembers Sandman was an Avenger he's in. Remembers Kraven was an Avenger asks him he says no but Ana wants to, Kraven joins reluctantly.

Other possible members are Moonstone, Constrictor and Daken.

Major plots being Ares still proving he's a hero, Kraven and Ana's relationship and Sandman finally putting himself straight.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: You know. I only know him from the Spider-Man TAS(AWESOME!!!) and this article has already convinced me to give his ongoing(If Only.....) a chance!!!

I have high expectations from you my man! I hope you bring out more articles of this type. Maybe even an article like:"Why Catwoman's Ongoing still deserves a chance!" Probably not Catwoman Though.

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ia0delond

Doctor Doom

No Caption Provided

Doom is already stealing the show everytimes he appears. It would be like giving a tv show for Joey.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an idea for a plot.

Out of pity, he gets granted a wish by someone of great magical power, that if he can complete a series of hunts (think the Twelve Labors of Hercules,) then he will be given his chance to die again.

He has to hunt and claim trophies from X amount of the most dangerous/powerful heroes and villains Marvel has to offer (perhaps on Battleworld.)

He has X amount of time to do so, and should he fail, he'll be struck as stone and forced to live and watch a world that he can no longer be a part of, but cannot leave. (Think how Flash handled Inertia.)

Off the top of my head, he has to get:

Get a piece of the Carnage or Venom Symbiote.

Obtain a horn from Loki's helmet.

the Ebony Blade.

"Ultimate" Blood (blood from Miles Morales.)

with a few other items.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhhh im not so sure of a kraven series.... if we're talking about bringing some people back. How about Vengeance, darkhawk, the list can go on.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By butters911

This article was great. before I read it I was like "That sounds like a dumb idea". By the time I finished the article though I was hoping the execs at Marvel were reading this and taking notes.

I especially like the Batman and Robin angle. That could be really fun.

Joe Kelly did such a great job (no slight to JMD of course) that I would love to see him writing this book.

Art: Michael Lark, Mike Zeck, Declan Shalvey. One of them would be great on art.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Here's an idea for a plot.

Out of pity, he gets granted a wish by someone of great magical power, that if he can complete a series of hunts (think the Twelve Labors of Hercules,) then he will be given his chance to die again.

He has to hunt and claim trophies from X amount of the most dangerous/powerful heroes and villains Marvel has to offer (perhaps on Battleworld.)

He has X amount of time to do so, and should he fail, he'll be struck as stone and forced to live and watch a world that he can no longer be a part of, but cannot leave. (Think how Flash handled Inertia.)

Off the top of my head, he has to get:

Get a piece of the Carnage or Venom Symbiote.

Obtain a horn from Loki's helmet.

the Ebony Blade.

"Ultimate" Blood (blood from Miles Morales.)

with a few other items.

I'd read it.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly he should have just never been brought back. It's like doomsday, he had his time, now he's just there...

Pixel_Kaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not sure I need that much more forced masculinity in comic books, personally.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could not agree more with this article, @k4tzm4n.

In a lot of ways, he should be Marvel's Deathstroke. A complex badass villain with a lot of history to work with story wise.

I would love to read an arc that takes place in the Savage Land where he goes toe to toe with Sauron or something. Possibilities are endless.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: But then there's the surprise twist that the being who has tasked him with retrieving these things is actually using it to become some kind of crazy powerful monster, then Kraven has to fight someone who is basically a mix of everyone he already had to fight.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Doctor Doom

No Caption Provided

Uruk_Hey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n never have I ever felt you channeled my thoughts as much as just now... I head nodded seeing this title so hard I might have whiplash.. 1000% agree

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 owie  Moderator

Kraven vs Elektra would be a pretty amazing fight.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find one flaw in your article.

Spiderman IS the greatest challenge. At least to Post-resurrection Kraen. The thrill of the hunt. The possibility of being killed by the very prey you stalk. If he goes and fights these other opponents that thrill is gone. Unless he is fighting someone else who is immortal Kraven's victory is a matter of when instead of "if".

The Spidermen are now the only beings that can give him that thrill.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder when people will realize that Superior Spiderman Arc is a rip-off of Kraven's The Last Hunt

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Man, Squirrel Girl looks ever creepier in her new comic than when she first appeared.

It would be cool, but you know who really deserves an ongoing.

Doctor Doom

No Caption Provided

Why not both?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curlyinsaneguy: Sort of.

He's actually going to end up fighting a being with a fraction/amalgam of powers and abilities based off of all the items collected, but with Miles blood and the Symbiote, it takes on a lot of similar traits to a Spider-Man-like character. One last time, Kraven has to prove he's the greatest, by beating the creature as it taunts him about his failures in life and death and how even Peter and Kaine (in reality,) don't respect, but simply pity and look down on him.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#42  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

Kraven should be given a comic only to be cancelled come May due to Secret Wars.

I'm kidding. Interesting idea and Marvel has shown us they have the balls to go through and experiment with other characters. Though I'd rather see a series focusing of World War II Captain America, Namor, the original Human Torch, Dr. Doom, and Iceman & Beast.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i think an ongoing might make him lame. Feel the same about deathstroke. I like the mystery attached to these characters. Mini series is fine.

BTW I still hate Kraven for what he did to Kaine.

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It if features him hunting heroes and villains like @scouterv said and him punching bull elephants that's worth my weekly 20 bucks

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@truemarvel said:

I find one flaw in your article.

Spiderman IS the greatest challenge. At least to Post-resurrection Kraen. The thrill of the hunt. The possibility of being killed by the very prey you stalk. If he goes and fights these other opponents that thrill is gone. Unless he is fighting someone else who is immortal Kraven's victory is a matter of when instead of "if".

The Spidermen are now the only beings that can give him that thrill.

I find one flaw in your comment ;)

Just because Kraven cannot be killed doesn't mean there's no thrill or caution. Every time he went against Spidey -- before his death -- he was confident that, whether he won or lost, it's a hunt that wouldn't result in the end of his life. He can still be defeated; he can still be humiliated. Being unkillable doesn't translate to being undefeatable. Deadpool can vouch for that!

That said, I didn't factor Spider-Verse into this because I have no who will remain when Battleworld begins. But seeing as Kaine wouldn't permanently end Kraven's life, I think Sergei gave up seeking out that option.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: You know. I only know him from the Spider-Man TAS(AWESOME!!!) and this article has already convinced me to give his ongoing(If Only.....) a chance!!!

I have high expectations from you my man! I hope you bring out more articles of this type. Maybe even an article like:"Why Catwoman's Ongoing still deserves a chance!" Probably not Catwoman Though.

Thank you.

This article was great. before I read it I was like "That sounds like a dumb idea". By the time I finished the article though I was hoping the execs at Marvel were reading this and taking notes.

I especially like the Batman and Robin angle. That could be really fun.

Joe Kelly did such a great job (no slight to JMD of course) that I would love to see him writing this book.

Art: Michael Lark, Mike Zeck, Declan Shalvey. One of them would be great on art.

Wow, thank you.

@uruk_hey said:

@k4tzm4n never have I ever felt you channeled my thoughts as much as just now... I head nodded seeing this title so hard I might have whiplash.. 1000% agree

Ha, thanks. I hope you have medical insurance!

In a lot of ways, he should be Marvel's Deathstroke. A complex badass villain with a lot of history to work with story wise.

I would love to read an arc that takes place in the Savage Land where he goes toe to toe with Sauron or something. Possibilities are endless.

Huzzah! Thanks.

@owie said:

Kraven vs Elektra would be a pretty amazing fight.

Hell yes it would be!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

A limited series can only work.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 owie  Moderator

Sauron...that's a pretty interesting idea. He's an underused villain, as silly as he is in some ways. His powers give him a lot of potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.