Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6445 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

Off My Mind: Saving Kitty Pryde

• 84 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

Since her debut in X-Men #129, Kitty Pryde has been one of the most beloved characters in the X-Men. She could have easily become just another 'kid' character seen too many times in comics but she had a little something extra. She managed to survive against the Hellfire Club while her powers of intangibility were only just developing. She proved time and time again that she had what it took to be an X-Man.

Despite getting training from the X-Men in the Danger Room, she also became trained as a ninja in the Kitty Pryde & Wolverine miniseries in 1984. In Astonishing X-Men, she had no problems letting Emma Frost know exactly what she thought of her. When a giant missile made of alien metal was headed towards Earth, she managed to become one with the missile and made it pass through the Earth in an intangible form. The price of this was months being stuck in her phasing state.

When Magneto eventually brought her back to Earth, it was discovered that she was stuck in her intangible form. She's been back for over a year (our time) and the brilliant minds of the X-Club have been unable to find a cure for her predicament. With the technology seen by enemies of the X-Men, how come a fix hasn't been found yet?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Being stuck in a ghost-like form would simply suck. At first, she couldn't even communicate with the love of her life, Colossus without the aid of Emma Frost (or another telepath). The temporary solution which allows Kitty from leaving her stasis pod is a special suit with a fishbowl helmet. If we're being honest, it's not the most fashionable outfits she's worn before.

I'm clearly not a scientist but it seems her powers have kicked into overdrive from being on for so long. Isn't there some way to...negate her powers? Let's think about that. How many times have we seen someone come with a way to neutralize a mutant's powers? Forge stupidly made a gun that did just that for the government but had second thoughts about it. Unfortunately when it was fired at Rogue, Storm took the hit for her and lost her own powers for a while. I also recall a time when Rogue and Wolverine had inhibitor collars slapped on their necks. I'm surprised a slimmer, necklace version was never made for Rogue. Gambit sure would've been happy.

The X-scientists may not have a clue how to revert Kitty back to her old power-set but I can't see wearing a glass bowl on her head as the only solution. Also, have they had a telepath probe her mind to see if it's a psychological issue? When Professor X finally cured Rogue, it turned out that was part of the issue.

No Caption Provided

Kitty's return after 25 months has been a bittersweet one. There was a lot of build up and even a teaser video. Once she arrived back on Earth, Second Coming was underway and Kitty seemed locked away in the basement of Utopia until the comic event was over. Something more needs to be done with her. Am I the only one annoyed at her current state? How long will it take until someone comes up with a solution? Would an inhibitor collar (or something similar) be a better temporary solution than her special suit? Is it a matter that the collar can't be placed on her since she is intangible? If that was the case, you would think there'd be someone smart enough to make an adjustment on that.

I can totally appreciate the need for Kitty to be in this predicament. If she simply returned to Earth and everything was fine and dandy, there wouldn't be much of a story there. Having her go through this ordeal adds a little to her character. The problem is the way it's being handled. As soon as she came back, she was practically forgotten, seen maybe in one panel or two throughout Second Coming. I understand that not all problems can be solved easily. I just think there should be more focus on solving this one. Kitty Pryde is a character that has rarely been written to her full potential.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Out_of_Space

I don't remember that happening.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bestostero

I just keep thinking back to when she was stuck like this before after she got hit by Harpoon during Mutant Massacre... and I think Reed was able to help her, why couldn't they repeat the process?

AFArtist1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By AFArtist1973

I remember the same predicament happening and Kitty being treated by Mr. Fantastic, in the mini series X-Men vs. The FF, with art by Jon Bogdanove. 

If Mr. Fantastic had some problems getting that done, then the X-Men would probably have a hard time too.  My two cents.

Jim

yeopop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By yeopop

I'm more impressed by the primitive style design the helmet has. Are there no good designers in Marvel?
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cmaprice

She was also stuck in a similar state in the late 80s, leading to a miniseries where (at least Franklin Richards dreams) they go to Latvaria to have Dr Doom fix her. It was one of the first arcs I read growing up, and THIS cover still sticks with me.

Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By superboyrocks13

i dont think they are really trying because i think any member of the x-club could fix her problem
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

I want her cured because I don't like her in that costume

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmaprice

Every time I look at Kitty in this suit, I can't help but feel she'll soon have to start a club with Hazmat from Avengers Academy.

No Caption Provided
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By lorex

Personally I think Kitty's problems are the result of lazy or perhaps uninspired writing. Kitty is being kept in an intangible state to create some kind of drama to keep the story interesting. You would think with all the smart people there  they might be able to solve this issue, but no the solution continues to elude them.

This seems similar to Hellion and Karma loosing limbs and not getting them regrown because the mutant healer is suddenly and inexplicably unavailable. So now they have to adapt to their new reality and be poor crippled mutants.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By JonesDeini

Meh they need to cure her or establish that this is just how her powers work, there're PLENTY of ways to solve her problems, BUT those are all too easy and of course if she's cured how can she have a drama filled relationship with Peter?! What's an X-Men relationship without drama?! Anyways hopefully Kieron Gillen addresses this and deads the whole thing soon. It's gon on for faaaaar too long. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By JonesDeini
    @lorex said:
    " Personally I think Kitty's problems are the result of lazy or perhaps uninspired writing. Kitty is being kept in an intangible state to create some kind of drama to keep the story interesting. You would think with all the smart people there  they might be able to solve this issue, but no the solution continues to elude them.This seems similar to Hellion and Karma loosing limbs and not getting them regrown because the mutant healer is suddenly and inexplicably unavailable. So now they have to adapt to their new reality and be poor crippled mutants. "
    Thank You!!! The only reason Elixir's not around is so that writers can mutilate characters to give them "edge, depth,& dimension" . Because horrible physical handicaps is so much easier for the audience to pick up on than smart, interesting writing. Maiming characters is like the new rape for writers.  :-/
    Nathorod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nathorod

The problem with having "super" scientist in a fantasy and/or science fiction landscape is that it is not challenging anymore to write a story, besauce everything that happened could be undo by a Dr. Nemesis, a Mister Fantastic, a Doctor Strtange or a Lex Luthor.

I do like Kitty, but I don't think having healers, sorcerers or scientists should mean to go back to the status quo immediatly.
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By The Sadhu

If Beast was still with the X-Men... he would have figured out a solution long time ago!
    Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By gambitpryde1993

I agree w/ Sadhu. Is Leech still around? He could do something. Yeah, Kitty is one of my favorite characters. Joss Whedon really did her justice in Astonishing X-Men.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15  Edited By Meteorite

Thing is... if they could simply negate her powers, considering that she's pretty much been dependent on them all of this time (in the bullet), could it kill her? (That is, if what I just said makes sense?)

Wingfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wingfoot

Hi !

Because the writers on "Uncanny X-men" since 2-3 years really suck...

Look : they're so poor-minded that they must furtively ask for help on Comic Vine !

Hihane washte.

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SupremoMaximo

She shouldn't have called Professor X a jerk.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

The last time she was stuck in her phased form, she didn't have to wear the stupid goldfish bowl on her head the entire time... She also made very slow progression, and was still struggling to remain tangible when Excalibur formed (even during the Mojo Mayhem one-shot featuring the X-Babies ;)

This turn of events is completely rehashed.  The only thing that's different is that she has to wear a stupid suit all the time.  And as cmaprice already pointed out, that's Hazmat's thing.  So it'll take a few more years for her to return to normal & for Colossus to get some action.    

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

This would've been more awesome if it was a video 'off my mind'

hrodvitnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By hrodvitnir

I intend to sound mean, but I've never understood all the love for Kitty Pryde.  She's a good character with cool powers but I just couldn't see what about her sparked so much adoration.  But of course when it comes to the X-Titles I've always been a big fan of Magik myself (which I'm sure would make a lot of people say WTF?!).

So my sincere Counter-Off My Mind: Why does everyone love Kitty Pryde so much? (I honestly would like to know)
    KamenRider00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KamenRider00

Maybe they're waiting for a new X-Event that would be all about her. That would be awesome!

jeprox30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeprox30

Kitty, meet Sandy.
     Kitty, meet Sandy.
    LMFAO. Seriously talking though, when we look at the physics of the situation, last time Kitty was struck and ended up as as such was brought about just by one of Harpoon's lances. Imagine the difference between that lance and the "bullet". Maybe her molecules were farther apart this time compared to the Harpoon incident(???). But yeah, they are in a world of endless possibilities, putting her back to normal should be quite easy. I guess we'll (with Kitty as well) just have to see what twists and turns happens next.

Besides, she's damn Kitty Pryde. We all love her that's why she's given new situations for us to appreciate her better (well despite the outfit). :)
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Love the suit, and yes, I guess it is frustrating to have her like that but maybe there's a reason we don't. Who knows? ::shrugs::

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Cherry Bomb

That outfit is terrible XD
    I hope she's cured soon so that she can get back to being stylish (: 
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @KamenRider00: They practically made her return an event. As soon as she arrived, she got shoved in the basement. Check out the trailer they made to build it up. It's not ultra fancy but the fact that they did make it should say something.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Billy Batson

Blame it on the writers :P

ILuvMsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ILuvMsMarvel

Why haven't they fixed her yet? Two words.... plot device.

'nuff said
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Space suits are cool!

SandmanEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SandmanEsq

@ILuvMsMarvel: 

As obvious as this answer seems (of course, everything that happens to characters is the "fault" of writers), here the use of "blame" is quite appropriate given that the writers are taking an easy way to create tension for Kitty.  Instead of having to come up with a more complex or coherent conflict for her to resolve, she has misfortune thrust upon her and the resolution will come only when it is convinient within the story - and most likely by way of some deus ex machina event, pretty much the same way she was "returned."  It is lazy writing, plain and simple.

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Midnight Monk

I really don't see why no one in the Marvel U never chooses the obvious route and simply go talk with Reed Richards about it. Seriously he's the smartest man on Earth and possibly the galaxy who isn't evil and genuinely a good guy and plus he has tons of Future tech and Leech to boot who can pretty much turn off someone power by standing near them.

Come on, drop that pride and call up Reed to solve all your problem lol

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By charlieboy

i agree. they need to fix kitty. she is my favorite x-man and i want her back to normal. plus this story has been done before.
    Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xhavoc86 said:
    " I just keep thinking back to when she was stuck like this before after she got hit by Harpoon during Mutant Massacre... and I think Reed was able to help her, why couldn't they repeat the process? "
    I remember that as well. The only thing that makes sense is that it may be due to other scientific reason so they are starting at square one.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Doctor!!!!! said:
    " Space suits are cool! "
    Yeah, if you're in space.

@Billy Batson said:
    "

Blame it on the writers :P

"
    Or you can Blame it on the Rain.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Billy Batson
    @G-Man: 

always love the videos, lol.

Avatar image for lectriccolossus
    lectriccolossus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lectriccolossus

woe is Colossus
    shanagn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shanagn7

the problem with her powers will be fixed before schism starts you can see her without the suit in the first issue of the prelude

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By IrishX

You are not the only one annoyed about her current state. The suit sucks and I can't wait 'till it's gone.

With that said though I don't think it's as simple as "with all the geniuses at their disposal they should figure this out easy". I could just as easily say that these same smart guys should have already come up with a solution to world hunger but that doesn't seem to be solved yet either.

Either way I just hope this doesn't last much longer.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Trodorne

They explained why she can't change back in Uncanny X-men. the reason being it was like comparing it to a muscle. she has been flexing her arm for so long it does not know how to relax.

To me hearing that. Instead of using forge and all those other super nerds on the island to solve one problem, they already had someone most qualified to help her out. Emma Frost. I know how crazy it sounds, the woman Kitty dispises the most being the only hope she has to being normal.

Here is how it works: Emma with the acceptance of kitty would take her back to the moment when she first felt to phase the bullet. the point being is to recall the memory of using the powers and the memory of what it was like to not use your power. This would be a version of psycho therapy to the point where it would end up being the opposite where either she goes back to normal or she has to use her powers to become tangible again.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By sora_thekey

How did she get out of the pod last time? You know back when Mutant Massacre happened?

I don't care that this is reused, at least they acknowledged that this has happened before. Kitty Pryde is the most consistent X-Men in every single media. I like her all the time, I guess you could say she's my favorite X-Man. So I am happy that this is happening, it's a good story for her character development. But like Tony mentions if you are going to do this don't brush her to the side! Do something about it!
    Dh4niel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dh4niel

The costume does look a bit silly. I'm sure the writers must be building up to something with her character. Maybe if Kitty was around during Second Coming, Nightcrawler would still be alive. I'm sure he'll be back in a couple of years though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt she'll come out of this with some new mutation or power.  I just hope they don't do the way over-used "losing your powers to get cured routine."

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Fantasgasmic

If her powers are stuck on ON what keeps her from phasing thru the suit?

Similarly, I assume that's why she couldn't have a collar or a power removing bullet affect her. Still, what about Leech? He made it so Hazmat could spend the day without her containment suit.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By feargalr

Most of the ways to negate her powers probably won't work in her current form...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @shanagn7: I hope so. But she has been without the suit before. A recent issue had the suit rip or something and she was out of it.
    shanagn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shanagn7

@ G-Man  she was without the suit and she was talking so i hope that means she gets cured by the end of the breakworld story in uncanny
    Gravnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gravnos

The only issue with using a type of power dampening collar on her, would be that when she is phasing she shortens out machines, and in that fraction of a second before it kicks it, it would just short out!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By leokearon

Because they are lazy
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By karrob
    @lorex said:
    " Personally I think Kitty's problems are the result of lazy or perhaps uninspired writing. Kitty is being kept in an intangible state to create some kind of drama to keep the story interesting. You would think with all the smart people there  they might be able to solve this issue, but no the solution continues to elude them.This seems similar to Hellion and Karma loosing limbs and not getting them regrown because the mutant healer is suddenly and inexplicably unavailable. So now they have to adapt to their new reality and be poor crippled mutants. "
    Agreed
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @shanagn7: Unless that was a glitch on the artist's part...
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

You are definetly not the onlyone who is annoyed of her current state ! I am too and my bro could personally bomb marvel because of this XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.