Follow

Kingpin

Character » Kingpin appears in 1951 issues.

The Kingpin is a supervillain originating from Marvel Comics. The self-proclaimed kingpin of crime, Wilson Fisk is one of the most prominent figures of organized crime in the United States. He is the king of mobsters, controlling organized crime on the East Coast with an iron fist. Kingpin is a major enemy of superheroes Spider-Man and Daredevil.

Kingpin review: Kingpin of Crime

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

How me and Kingpin are homies

As a child, I remember the first time my father took me into some shitty comic book store and there was one character among many that stood out for me. It wasn't Captain America, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, or even Venom, none of them at all, it was the Kingpin. I can’t explain why he would be one of my first favorite characters, probably because I’m looking at a cover where I see Spiderman getting his ass beat with a rug by the Kingpin. After hearing my father bitch about wasting twelve dollars on the comic, I ended up worshipping the comic after reading it numerous times, till this day I still have it and it always makes me laugh when I see Spiderman’s “what the fuck” face as he’s being tossed around by the Kingpin. So after knowing about the Kingpin, I was a huge fan of this jolly fat guy. Back then I was fans of a whole lot of bad guys that sadly turned out to be nothing more than B-rated villains, dead, or just mysteriously disappeared. But the Kingpin really didn’t fail me at all, he was the same Kingpin all the way to this day. He basically was one of those Marvel characters that you really don’t want to fuck around with. Some Marvel fans probably wouldn’t be a huge fan of the Kingpin like I am, or just don’t care for the guy, which is understandable. But there’s one thing that currently bothers me about the Kingpin that has me writing this review, is his title.

Kingpin of Crime

To understand the title is to understand the Kingpin. Inspired by crime novels, like the Godfather for example, Stan Lee wanted a character that treated crime as a business, a man who was responsible for all crime within Marvel, and that’s when the Kingpin was born. Even though he’s called the “Kingpin”, it’s actually a title; the reason why everybody calls him Kingpin is because they shortened it for Kingpin of Crime. Can you imagine if everybody called him Wilson Fisk, his popularity probably wouldn’t be as famous as it currently is. Most of the time in the comics, he’s known as Kingpin when he’s the Kingpin of Crime, then sometimes you see him being called Wilson Fisk when he’s not retaining his title. But why do we call him the “Kingpin” when it’s actually a title?

Question to that is simple, just ask who out of all the characters within the Marvel Universe claimed that they was the Kingpin of Crime. Answer to that is really uncanny and simple, there were four individuals that claimed the title ( I could be wrong on that ). Out of the four, there were three that took action as Kingpin of Crime. Out of the three, there were two that took the title personally and claimed that they were the true Kingpin. That’s right, I’m talking about both Wilson Fisk and The Hood.  

Now, even if you hate the Kingpin, his role within the Marvel Universe is very convincing and interesting. Wilson Fisk was designed for the title, his character was entirely created for that role to where Marvel fans and characters can’t help but call him by his title. Crime in the Marvel Universe is very important, and to have a character who’s secretly responsible for all crime is very helpful for storylines and which makes them much more interesting. He’s the actual Godfather within the Marvel Universe, the drug lord, the Lex Luthor of the criminal underground, his power is crime itself and control over every form of crime and corruption within the Marvel Universe.

The Hood

Then, we see this ass-clown, this red blanket wearing jack-off who gives himself up as a demons bitch for some shitty powers. I can see this character being important for the Dark Reign series, and as the Kingpin of Crime during that time. Because I honestly can’t see the Kingpin fitting into Osborn’s special club, I also believe that Kingpin was actually too good for Osborn’s special club and that Osborn (who actually admits) can’t control the Kingpin and that he doesn’t trust him, so say’s the second most powerful man in America. I can also see the difficulty for Marvel writers to even have the Kingpin involved and taking orders from Norman Osborn. As for Hood, I really never cared for the Hood, his character never interested me at all, but when Marvel had this ass-clown going around and saying he’s the new Kingpin of Crime, and seeing that he has a family of his own. Being a Dormammu’s bitch is one thing, but going around and saying that you’re the Kingpin of Crime just lands you and your family a one way ticket to Mephisto’s magical realm. Just because he can control an entire group of B-rated villains with his magical blanket doesn’t make him the true Kingpin. Overall, Hood isn't my favorite character, but keeping the basics within Marvel, I actually wouldn't have had him as the Kingpin of Crime because its expected that Kingpin is going to want revenge on this guy. As for the family thing with the Kingpin, thats another interesting review that takes the fatguy into a much more psychological veiw which involves Daredevil.

Kingpin vs Hood

Marvel really needs to have both Kingpin and Hood to meet each other, I hope that Marvel has these two go at it and that the Hood knows what happens when you get big for britches and claim that you’re the Kingpin of Crime within the Marvel Universe. I really hate the Hood with a passion, I hope Kingpin beats his ass continuously throughout a double-size special, to hell with a decent storyline, the artwork, just have Kingpin beat his rookie ass, that’s all I’m actually asking for personally. Make it like like one of those One-shot comics or something. I personally wanna see Kingpin smash him, beat him senseless, kick the shit out of him, sumo slap the shit out of him, E.Honda head butt him, Judo toss him, swing him around 360 with his stupid red blanket, throw a desk at him, beat him with a carpet, beat him with a lamp, beat him with his magical blanket, shoot lasers at him with his pimp cane, throw henchmen at him, throw Bullseye at him, throw Lady-Bullseye at him, throw Typhoid Mary at him, then throw his rookie ass out the window, and finally use his magical red blanket as toilet paper. Whatever it takes to teach the Hood a lesson for taking the Kingpin title the cheapest way possible, which the Kingpin busted his ass for. So the main reason for this topic, is that if Marvel is going to have a rookie character going around claiming that he’s the Kingpin of Crime, they better have that guy come across the Real Kingpin sometime soon.       

Quentin_Beck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Quentin_Beck

*Applauds* 

I never liked The Hood.  I mean, he's just some cheap thug, a two-bit ... well, hood.  It's in the name.  But when he tried/claimed to be Fisk's successor, I loathed every fiber of his being.  It's one thing for someone to try and supplant Kingpin when their someone like, say, his son Richard.  But when they are just some low level purse-snatcher with the powers of Jimmy Olsen and a costume he stole from a little girl trying to get to her grandma's ...  

See, I'm hoping there isn't some big, climactic showdown.  What do I want to see?  I want to see Wilson Fisk, the one true Kingpin, walk up behind The Hood and crush his head like a grapefruit, or else break his apendages one-by-one and toss his broken carcass out of his penthouse window.  I want some real sudden and gruesome end for that snot-nosed brat as the one and only king of crime comes back to take his mantle.
    614azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 614azrael

Dont get me wrong he had his use resurected some cool ppl but him himself is a nobody@Quentin_Beck: what ur asking for is to epic for this weekling just 1 bullet 2 the head thats all he should get

Quentin_Beck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Quentin_Beck

See, I want the Kingpin to play with him.  I want him to make it last.  I want The Hood's death to be nice and slow.  And ever so painful.  It's only epic for the Kingpin.  The Hood wouldn't even have the chance to fight back, but just get thrown around like a rag doll.  Hehehe.  I want him to suffer, I want to see him broken and bloodied at Kingpin's feet, I want ... to find more excuses to use italics

But, yes.  I'll grant you that it might still be too epic for Hood to die in such a manner.  What he deserves to get, and what Kingpin deserves to do are two different stories entirely.  What The Hood deserves is to slip on a bannana peel and fall face-first into traffic.  Still, Kingpin should have the chance for revenge.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.