Follow

Kaine

Character » Kaine appears in 430 issues.

Kaine was the first clone of Spider-Man created by the Jackal. He was suffering from clone degeneration and became an assassin and spent years tormenting his clone brother, Ben Reilly. He has since taken up the mantle his now dead brother as the new Scarlet Spider.

Annabelle Theory!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Strider1992

I was sitting here going through my Scarlet Spider issues and the whole thing with Annabelle preventing Madame Webb warning Kaine about an impending danger surprised me. Previously to this issue I had always thought that Madame Webb was referring to the Queen. The Queen has a thing for Spider-men and Kaine was the one to kill her during Spider-Island.

She huh? As vague as always
    She huh? As vague as always
    Wait what?
    Wait what?

However upon seeing what happened in Scarlet Spider 16 I was completely thrown. Annabelle has no reason to hide anything from Kaine that we know of so why would she burn a letter warning him?

Now what we need to take into account here is who Madame Webb would deem to be this kind of threat. Initially I took the "she's coming back" "shes coming back for Kaine" as a whole sentence meaning that whoever it was coming back wanted revenge however what if they were to completely different sentences. The first being that whoever it was has returned and the second being that their target is now Kaine not that the woman has any previous connection to Kaine!

You may be wondering where i'm going with this so i'll cut to the chase. We know that Yost has based Scarlet Spider heavily on JMS's run and with good reason as its awesome. We've seen the "Other" and we've seen Kaine using the "Other's" abilities. So what does this have to do with Annabelle? Well there is one character that was created by JMS as a prequel to the "Other" and Morlun. Someone almost on par with Morlun. Someone who hounded Peter mercilessly for days attacking him both personally and physically.

I am of course referring to Shathra!

The Totem Eater
    The Totem Eater

You may think this is just a random thought with no basis but here is my reasoning!:

1. As I previously said Yost bases his stories on JMS's run and the "Other". Shathra was part of that saga being a totem eater like Morlun! As with Spider-man she was a prequel to Morlun's arrival it would make sense for Yost to want to use her prior to using Morlun.

2. It gives Annabelle a direct connection to the letter. Why would she burn a letter to Kaine warning him about a threat that wasn't directly linked to her? It makes no sense. She would have no reason to destroy the letter if it was warning Kaine about the Queen or Kraven's family. It makes no sense unless she herself is the threat to Kaine.

Shapeshifting
    Shapeshifting

3. Shathra is a shape-shifter. It would not be hard for her to take on the appearance of Annabelle in order to get close to Kaine

4. Shathra likes to play games! Pretending to be Annabelle and toying with Kaine's emotions would be the ultimate game for her! Shes done it with Peter when she took up the guise of Sharon why shouldn't she do it with Kaine? Heck she even went as far as to say that she and Spider-man were lovers and publicly said a lot of lies about him in order to pull him out. I wouldn't put it past her to seduce Kaine in order to keep him in a position that she could kill him and toy with him any time she wanted.

Shathra's Game!
    Shathra's Game!

5. She is only other threat that Madame Webb would ever take seriously aside from the Queen due to the fact Shathra is a natural predator to the Spider-totem and the Web of Life.

6. Peter stated that Shathra tried to bring out the Spider in him due to the fact it was the only part she could feed on effectively and guess what? Kaine recently succumbed to the "Other" fully embracing his Spider-side. That is exactly what Shathra wants to feed properly. She made Peter lose control in order to do this the fist time:

Spider-man releasing his Spider-side

Kaine is far more brutal than Peter and far more in touch with his Spider-side. He has every single quality that Shathra desires to pull-out:

Sound like anyone we know?
    Sound like anyone we know?

So it may sound slightly far-fetched but given Yost's love of the "Other" and JMS's run its a character that could be used. Not to mention quite a few of the signs are there!

So I put it to you. Annabelle = Shathra!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By laflux

I would really want it to be true. I loved JMS's run (I'll ignore 2 relevant stories), and the Other arc was actually what got me into comics. Shantra is a great way of bringing in that concept- since Morlun isn't really a street-level threat anymore. I really hope its true, and perhaps we could have a three way team up with SpOck, Kaine and O'Hara trying to take down the totems figure/s. That's the only thing that can justify SpOck now IMO.....

Also Ascended Kaine needs to make a comeback, I wouldn't like it be like ascended Peter (who killed Morlun then just was conveniently forgotten about). And what better person to bring out that side of Kaine than Shantra :D

Great article!!!!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: If the Spider-Event of the Summer is all the Spider-man characters (SpOck, Kaine etc..) Vs The Totem eaters (there supposed to be a whole race of them in the astral plain) I would die a happy man.

And Ascended Kaine Vs Shathra would be a beastly fight.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: If the Spider-Event of the Summer is all the Spider-man characters (SpOck, Kaine etc..) Vs The Totem eaters (there supposed to be a whole race of them in the astral plain) I would die a happy man.

Yeah there is supposed to be a novel which explains the Morlun and the Totems eaters, but I don't think its cannon though. Might check it out...

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strider1992

@laflux: Well the race was mentioned in Black Panther when Morlun attacked so the race itself is canon.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: Well the race was mentioned in Black Panther when Morlun attacked so the race itself is canon.

Yeah I know the race is cannon, but the story in the novel isn't as far as I'm aware (Are marvel novels ever cannon? )

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@strider92: When I saw Annabelle burning the letter, I knew something was definitely wrong, and to be honest, "poor" Kaine is a Parker and everybody knows Parker's luck. Annabelle was too good to be true. I believe your theory is 99.9% valid. One small part of me wants Annabelle acting like this, you know,cause she's in love with Kaine and she doesn't want him to leave etc. I'm so romantic... *sighs, looking at the moon, reading poetry aloud*

P.S. Your article was 100% amazing as always, man.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9 TDK_1997  Online

@strider92: That would be one of the best things to happen currently to the Spider family.I loved what JMS did and if Yost is going to continue refering to his past stories then I am ALL IN! Shantra was always interesting to me and the Other was great and if we get to see her against Kaine,I would be in so much joy.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I like it

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Considering the "Other" was one of my favorite arcs i'd love it if Yost brought Shathra back!

@phaedrusgr: Thanks :)

@laflux: What was the name of the novel just out of pure interest?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laflux
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#13 TDK_1997  Online

@strider92: I really hope that what you are suggesting is true because now because of you I am really pumped for this to really happen. :D

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Why Aracely hasn't "noticed" anything weird regarding Annabelle? What do you think?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Strider1992

@strider92: Why Aracely hasn't "noticed" anything weird regarding Annabelle? What do you think?

Well Shathra didn't actually trip Spider-man's spider-sense when she went after him. With Morlun it made his spider-sense go haywire so i'm guessing Shathra might have some kind of cloaking.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Ah! Another romantic soul in this thread. As I said a part of me really wants them together, but I think strider92 has a point...let's see what happens...

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phaedrusgr said:

@theacidskull: Ah! Another romantic soul in this thread. As I said a part of me really wants them together, but I think strider92 has a point...let's see what happens...

THANK YOU!

exactly, i can't remember the last time where i saw a decent relationship, and Yost is great with relationships and kemistry, either ways i am sure it will be well executed, maybe her secret is for a romantic drama? beats me :P

Or she's an evil totem eating inesct!?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I'll be honest. It's an interesting theory but I doubt it.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strider1992
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Who says Shathra can't be a love interest lol! Kaine isn't exactly human himself due to the whole other thing going on.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Strider1992

@theacidskull: Yeah that could be a problem........and actually she wanted to eat him lol......

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: At least we might get a good fight involving "Other" possessed Kaine and Shathra.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full of win!!!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

Full of win!!!!

Damn straight!!!!!

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I still don't believe it's prove she's Annabelle. Maybe there will be other hints later. But so far there's also the possibility that Annabelle simply didn't want him to leave.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

@theacidskull: At least we might get a good fight involving "Other" possessed Kaine and Shathra.

yeah, true. though Maybe sharthra Likes Kaine because he'll got to Places peter Won't( i don;t mean in bed :P)

To be fair Kaine could do worse ;)

No Caption Provided

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol love this ! also whos to say she still cant be a couple. I mean we could end up with a hal / carol dynamic

I can see it now, kaine and anabelle in the sack having some fun then BANG she tries to eat him he transforms into the other...=p god we can really have some fun with Kaine in a way we couldn't with peter

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

DUDE! You were so close. Good job on you m8 (+)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.