Follow

Justice Society of America

Team » Justice Society of America appears in 1368 issues.

The Justice Society of America was the 1st super team in the DCU. Currently, they are a large group of crime-fighters that are protecting and rebuilding Monument Point following a catastrophic battle. The emphasis here is on training and preparing the next generation of heroes.

Why WWII Earth 2 Should Return (Repost from Earth 2 forum)

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bloggerboy

I've been reading Earth 2 from James Robinson and it's an entertaining, fresh read. However as a fan of the Justice Society I can't help but think that something is lost in the modernization of the characters present in Earth 2. One of the biggest advantages of Earth 2 was the huge contrast between it and the "main" earth, whatever it gets called.

By placing Earth 2 in World War II you automatically get an interesting setting and the goofy Golden Age characters just work so much better in that enviroment. It feels like a new world and an interesting twist. We've seen these stories and redoing them again wouldn't be New. I get that. I'm all for updating the concept and tweaking it to get new outcomes. However ending with a dead Superman, a dead Batman and a dead Wonder Woman is hardly an improvement on Clark Kent the gray-haired Superman and the editor of the Daily Star. Having Batman be the police commissioner of Earth 2 is another nice plot that should get an update. As for Diana, well I liked having Hippolyta as Wonder Woman. Robinson's version might have Fury as the next WW or so I'm hoping.

In this instance modernization doesn't work as well though. It will only get worse when the crossovers start happening. You will essentially end up with two Justice Leagues (assuming a Society is formed). And we already have Justice League of America and Justice League Dark. A World War II Justice League would make things more interesting. It would make Earth 2 special. Now it feels like an alternate timeline instead of a parallel earth. I get that Jay Garrick and Barry Allen are different personas with different costumes and experiences but an older Jay would work as a bigger, better contrast when these two finally meet.

It's not like we would lose anything with these changes. I could see Robinson's stories play out the way they did even in a different setting. The biggest changes would be occuring in World's Finest and that title honestly hasn't been anything spectacular. Paul Levitz wrote some fantastic Justice Society stuff in the 70's. He could use help in World's Finest and what better way for more interesting stories than to have Helena and Kara drop from Earth 2's WWII to the present day of the prime earth.

It's too early to talk about reboots and I'm going to stick around with James Robinson's Earth 2. That said, I'll still jump in joy when and if the old school Earth 2 returns one day.

UPDATE: Since Robinson is off Earth 2 I wonder what the future of the book will be like. A shame we can't see Earth 1 and 2 meet with Robinson on board.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Multiversity is sort of exploring the old pre-coie : earth x (freedom fighters), earth s (fawcett super heroes), charlton super heroes, plus post-coie 1990s earth (wally west, kyle rayner), etc. Multiversity intentionally skips earth 2 probably bec. there is a separate earth 2 title. The old pre-coie earth 2 is probably still somewhere out there and some future multiverse story might visit it. I also enjoy elseworlds stories of the old pre coie earth 1 something similar to New Frontier. With the multiverse, none of the old earths are really lost and they all still happened on some universe.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Interesting. Having never read Justice Society pre New 52 I cant say.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonyofcells: I'm really looking forward to Multiversity. The cynic in me wonders if Robinson leaving DC had something to do with editorial - specifically connected to Grant's book. Maybe James was forced to write Earth 2 around Multiversity or something.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@colonyofcells: I'm really looking forward to Multiversity. The cynic in me wonders if Robinson leaving DC had something to do with editorial - specifically connected to Grant's book. Maybe James was forced to write Earth 2 around Multiversity or something.

I'm pretty sure your not the only one feeling cynical. As I see it Robinson had his first two ideas for Earth 2 shot down by editorial ( setting the book in the 40's, and then setting it in the 60's) I would say a third weight tied to his coat tails would have been the final straw.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloggerboy said:

I'm pretty sure your not the only one feeling cynical. As I see it Robinson had his first two ideas for Earth 2 shot down by editorial ( setting the book in the 40's, and then setting it in the 60's) I would say a third weight tied to his coat tails would have been the final straw.

Robinson wanted to set the book in the 40's initially? I would have loved that. Sure New 52 means new stories and modernization but I think placing the story in WWII would have made it more different compared to Earth Prime.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm hoping for a new Crisis event were the WWII JSA are weaved into n52u. I miss those old bastards. And screw the 5 year timeline, I want legacy heroes.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@beatboks1 said:
    @bloggerboy said:

Robinson wanted to set the book in the 40's initially? I would have loved that. Sure New 52 means new stories and modernization but I think placing the story in WWII would have made it more different compared to Earth Prime.

That would've been awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.