gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Okay, time to let your breath. Trinity War has been one heckuva ride. There were some high and low points. In the end, big things happen. Things have changed.

With the creation of the Justice League in this title, we soon saw the team was a somewhat tight group, refusing to let others join the team. Events soon escalated and they found this could no longer be the case. At the same time, Amanda Waller decided to form a new counter team in the Justice League of America. Each member of this team was selected to take down one of the main team members. This was a great set up for the series and the fact that the members were oblivious to the reason why they were chosen was a nice twist. This was a direction that could easily last for a bit. But everything exploded and the truth was revealed.

With Trinity War starting, the truth soon came out. We saw the two teams combine and work together in different ways. With the mystery of why Superman seemingly killed Dr. Light and the more mysterious Outsider and the Secret Society of Super Villains, there was still a lot to find out. Throw in Pandora and the secrets of 'Pandora's Box,' we had a ticket for a ride on the crazy train.

A common theme throughout the later chapters has been the big action. Comic book readers often wonder how different fights would play out, who would win, etc. We have been treated to several big scenes of the heroes clashing. If this doesn't satisfy the hunger some readers have, I don't know what will.

While there is a lot of action and fighting, that's not all there is. If you've been wanting answers about Pandora's Box, the Outsider, traitors, plus more shocks and twists, you'll get all that here. Just when you thought you knew what has happening in the New 52 Universe, we find out there's more going on. This will definitely shake things up a bit in the third year of the New 52.

Ivan Reis and Joe Prado do this issue justice (no pun intended). They have some really big and monumental scenes to handle and they do with ease. DC even allowed for some big splashy scenes that didn't feel as if it took away from the overall story or page count.

Remember that one scene in the 2012 Free Comic Book Day issue, drawn by Jim Lee?

No Caption Provided

This scene is beautifully recreated (and tweaked a tiny bit). It's a joy to see this moment finally happen. It's also pretty cool thinking back to everything that has lead up to this moment. While you read this issue, you'll find yourself pausing to simply stare at the art on the pages.

The answers are rewarding and you'll want to see what's next.

The Bad

Big action and big fun lead to a great amount of entertainment. What's not to love?

The Verdict

Just when you thought you knew what was going on in the New 52, we find out there's a little more going on. For a story that's seemingly been in development for some time, everything comes crashing down here. This is where we not only get some more crazy action sequences but we get a score of answers. In some ways, this issue is a game-changer. Too many times crossovers and "events" in comics end with a fizzle but this sets the stage for big things to come. Even if you felt you knew how things would end with FOREVER EVIL on the horizon, there's still moments that should catch you off guard. It's not often a comic actually changes the face of a comic universe. That's exactly what this issue does. Geoff Johns is bringing the thunder to the New 52 and it looks like the Justice League forgot their umbrellas.

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shusho

Gotta say, I wasn't that shocked about who the real traitor was, but my god, when the Grid revealed itself and dettached from Victor, I was shitting my pants!!.

Really great issue IMO, with its ups and downs obviously, but a great way to finish Trinity War, although I still want to know what's going to happen with all the heroes!

34g3f3ert3t43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shusho: Agreed! Great issue. It was especially awesome seeing that scene from the FCBD issue come to life! I wonder if we are going to get an actual "ATOM"?

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I feel like this was DC's version of AvX but done right :3

Ares94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That issue was perfect. Even though I knew and guessed some of things secrets, the traitor revelation was a shock , and what happened to Vic even more ! The end end is just the cherry on top of the cake ! :) Poor King of Seas ! And The Atom is a bitch ! Who do you think is the Prisoner ? Earth3 Alexander Luthor ?

Avatar image for noteworthington
    Noteworthington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Noteworthington

Why'd they have to kill the best Aquaman design, again!

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By comicbookfan93

@ares94: yeah that was my guess too about who the prisoner is

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

this has nothing in common with avx. and somebody called it. the twist.

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brentac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brentac

I was a bit let down.

The traitor - didn't we get an issue of either JL or JLA that had the traitor doing an inner monologue about feeling conflicted spying on the JL for the JLA? Seems odd for someone who is really a triple agent to begin with.

This is part 6 of 6 and literally says "to be continued". I have a problem with that.

the art was awesome and i did like seeing the FCBD issue recreated. but some of the stuff just didn't sit right. Like the traitor just volunteering the information on how superman was poisoned. why reveal that to your enemies?

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber: I would have said Civil War and Secret Invasion (the traitor / who dp you trust?) at the same time, and done right

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KingdomCome

Decent start, persistently mediocre middle and good finish equals "done right"?

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brentac: I'd say its because he/she believes that the justice leagues will be defeated also its villain cliche

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shusho

@brentac: Well, Firestorm and Element Woman actually found out how Superman was poisoned, so I guess the traitor didn't mind spilling a little bit of info. You know how cocky villains can be once their actions are out in the open! :P

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@thecheesestabber said:

Decent start, persistently mediocre middle and good finish equals "done right"?

Done better?

brentac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shusho said:

@brentac: Well, Firestorm and Element Woman actually found out how Superman was poisoned, so I guess the traitor didn't mind spilling a little bit of info. You know how cocky villains can be once their actions are out in the open! :P

True that they found the K. Still, seemed odd that the traitor just says "it was me and this is exactly how I did it it." Yes it's villain cliche but it's one I have never really understood or liked.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Johns does it again. Still can't get over this!! this issue was so Awesome!! Forever Evil can't get here soon enough!!

Got goosebumps when Ultraman started to emerge from the portal.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hawkguy

@ares94 said:

That issue was perfect. Even though I knew and guessed some of things secrets, the traitor revelation was a shock , and what happened to Vic even more ! The end end is just the cherry on top of the cake ! :) Poor King of Seas ! And The Atom is a bitch ! Who do you think is the Prisoner ? Earth3 Alexander Luthor ?

I agree wholeheartedly, outstanding issue. Unbelievable artwork, epic conclusion, and I cannot wait for Forever Evil (although the whole "the Justice League is dead" line I keep seeing in solicits is misleading). I'm going to agree with the Prisoner guess, seems like it would be.

I'm fairly new to comics so this was my first real event, although I have read previous ones like Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Blackest Night and so on. I thought this was better than all of those, and I can't help but disagree with people that didn't enjoy the other issues.

Looking back now too, every complaint I made about Johns spoiling the end by saying the villains win, I take back. The villains did win, but not the villains I or anyone else thought. The covers for Forever Evil are starting to make sense as well, and I'm honestly very satisfied with what DC is doing event-wise and universe-wise as opposed to Marvel (although Infinity is shaping up quite nicely)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Great issue.
    My only complain is that it felt like a prologue to Forever Evil but that goes to the event as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we now know what an Evil Bruce and Alfred look like!

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By redmanta

the door for Ray Palmer just reopen

anandak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theocitylegend: the evil butler referred to him as master THOMAS, not bruce

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the newly redesigned Lobo would say holy crapola was that great. Kind of slow in the middle but just like a song, I remember mostly about how it starts and how it ends and this one ended fantastically. Definitely more interested in Forever Evil now than I was before.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to admit I did not see that coming kudos DC :)

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Awesome review Tony. Loved it!!! IGN gave it 6/10 -_-

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5/5! This is the best issue of Justice League in the New 52 without question. So many reveals, ha.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This was me throughout this issue

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Yes!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I called it! Hahahaaa :D this was indeed an awesome issue.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Ultron's got NOTHING on this!

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy awesome :D

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theocitylegend: the evil butler referred to him as master THOMAS, not bruce

He is still the Crime Syndicates version of Batman. Batman is Bruce Wayne. Therefore he is the evil version of BRuce.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* DC finally makes a likable new character that I was genuinely interested in, and what do they do? Make her an evil villain. Everything I liked about that character was a facade. Fantastic.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brentac said:
    Like the traitor just volunteering the information on how superman was poisoned. why reveal that to your enemies?

I guess because victory was guaranteed at that point and they just wanted to gloat?

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*sigh* DC finally makes a likable new character that I was genuinely interested in, and what do they do? Make her an evil villain. Everything I liked about that character was a facade. Fantastic.

Huh? Why would this kill your interest? You'd think it would have the boomerang effect.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@nico4ever said:

Huh? Why would this kill your interest? You'd think it would have the boomerang effect.

Um, as I just stated, everything I liked about the character was an act. It was fake. She's not this nice girl trying to be a hero and fit in with the Justice League and help people, she's part of the Crime Syndicate. She's evil. She is no longer the character I liked.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JLDoom

Man, I LOVED this issue! Even though one of the twists was spoiled by DC and the other was pretty obvious, I honestly didn't see the other two coming! And I'm really liking the new Crime Syndicate so far, Superwoman's lasso being barbed wire is so clever.

Isn't that the point of traitors in fiction though? If traitors were always the most unlikeable member of the team there'd be no emotional response from the reader, we just wouldn't care because they sucked anyway. Don't get me wrong, I though Rhonda was cool as well but I have to applaud Johns for actually getting an actual reaction from me because I was hoping she wouldn't be the traitor as well.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rav4

@jldoom said:

Man, I LOVED this issue! Even though one of the twists was spoiled by DC and the other was pretty obvious, I honestly didn't see the other two coming! And I'm really liking the new Crime Syndicate so far, Superwoman's lasso being barbed wire is so clever.

@nico4ever said:

Isn't that the point of traitors in fiction though? If traitors were always the most unlikeable member of the team there'd be no emotional response from the reader, we just wouldn't care because they sucked anyway. Don't get me wrong, I though Rhonda was cool as well but I have to applaud Johns for actually getting an actual reaction from me because I was hoping she wouldn't be the traitor as well.

Well then congratulations on them making me interested in and like a new character only to then make me not care at all about her. Really great work there. She went from being one of my favorite characters of the entire reboot thus far to just being another toss away villain that'll probably have her face crushed in or be forgotten about after this whole event is done. Whoopee.

EDIT: Also, how does it make sense where we saw her internal dialogue in that one issue about her being conflicted about spying on the JL for the JLA if she was a triple agent for the Crime Syndicate the entire time? Hint: It doesn't.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bookerman20

Marvel this is how you do a comic event. Great ending...
    5 outta 5

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still feel like there could be more to come from Rhonda she may turn good maybe I'm just being optimistic

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nico4ever said:

@jldoom said:

@nico4ever said:

Well then congratulations on them making me interested in and like a new character only to then make me not care at all about her. Really great work there. She went from being one of my favorite characters of the entire reboot thus far to just being another toss away villain that'll probably have her face crushed in or be forgotten about after this whole event is done. Whoopee.

Well, the story was written this way, it was never supposed to please people who ended up liking her, so I don't really get why you're complaining. It's never nice to see a character you liked have a face heel turn but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing, it's just how the story works.

Well, got me there. Can't say I know how to explain that one.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rav4

@jldoom: Sure, the story was written that way, but for me personally, the amount of characters that I actually enjoy in this reboot so far are few and far between. Most of the characters I used to like have been butchered beyond recognition, and most of the new characters they add are bland or annoying. When they introduced the female Atom, I thought, okay this could be a really interesting character. Sure enough, she was, and I really liked her. I thought, oh hey, this is awesome, I can't wait to read a lot of stories with her, there's a lot of potential here.

Then, what happens? Oh, she's evil. Nope, none of those interesting JL stories that I was looking forward to, no further developments in her growing as a hero, none of her being around for a good long time for me to really love her. Nope, sorry, villain. She'll be gone by next year once this event is wrapped up and the Crime Syndicate is defeated. All that potential in a great new hero wasted.

Freaking. Yay.

Ugh.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gracetrack

Owlman is looking like a boss.

The entire issue was great. 9/10 for me. (4.5/5)

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@jldoom said:

@nico4ever said:

EDIT: Also, how does it make sense where we saw her internal dialogue in that one issue about her being conflicted about spying on the JL for the JLA if she was a triple agent for the Crime Syndicate the entire time? Hint: It doesn't.

Actually, it does. It's called the "unreliable narrator." Look it up.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rav4

@rixec: I've never liked the "unreliable narrator" as a literary device, because so often it isn't executed well and rather than making the reader go back and seriously reconsider what's been told to them, wondering how the deceit or untruth ties together, and maybe having an "ah ha" moment, it just comes across as blatantly contradictory.

Such as in this example. That internal dialogue should be her personal thoughts; what she is thinking to herself. If she's actually narrating, then who is she narrating to? Well, the obvious answer would be us, the readers. But if she's knowingly narrating to the readers and providing them with misleading information, then does she know she's in a comic book and that there are people that need to be misled? Is she breaking the fourth wall?

Or perhaps, more likely, is it just convenience for the writer to have internal dialogue from the point of view of the deceiver that doesn't give away their true nature, even if it wouldn't make sense for the character to actually be concealing anything in that context?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

WOW. just WOW. I was in shock the entire issue. And jaw literally dropped when I saw Grid.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#49  Edited By batmannflash

but I was so pissed that they killed alternative Aquaman...

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Knightfall225

One of my favorite issues ever. This book was amazing. It was full of jaw dropping moments. The cyborg scene was awsome ! I cant wait for forever evil.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.