Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3323 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Will Superman Leave the Justice League?

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

Edited By Jekylhyde14

Mat ‘Inferiorego’ Elfring attended the Justice League/Green Lantern panel earlier today at SDCC ’12, and he was kind enough to transcribe the more interesting and entertaining parts for those of us unable to attend. We thank him kindly for this. There were three things that Geoff Johns said according to Mat’s transcription that got me thinking:

1) Members of the Justice League will have quit by the end of the title’s first year.

2) That Captain Marvel (who is featured on the cover of Justice League’s September issue #0) will be a member of the Justice League next year.

3) And, finally, that the Martian Manhunter will be in Justice League next year.

Assuming that Johns wasn’t misleading, wasn’t lying, and that the Martian Manhunter’s appearance won’t be part of a flashback, these three revelations lead me to believe that Superman might be exiting the Justice League before the next year of the book. Captain Marvel’s powers and power levels have historically been identical to Superman’s. The same can be said of the Martian Manhunter who is a shape-shifting psychic on top of having super strength, speed, and flight. If Billy Batson and J’onn J’onzz do join the team then most would consider it overkill to also have Superman. The Justice League is powerful enough without three nearly indestructible strong men flying around at the speed of light. Conventional wisdom has always held true to the notion that three characters cast in the Superman mold cannot occupy the same team at once. A team has been able to support two at once, but they only use three during major events and crises.

We also may have been given a hint as to what causes Superman to break from the Justice League a month ago. In Action Comics #10, Superman met with the rest of the League and pitched the idea of taking a more proactive stance in handling the world’s problems. The rest of the team shot him down feeling uncomfortable with taking that kind of authority over the rest of mankind. Superman left visibly disappointed and after he was gone Batman said: “One of these days, we’ll all have to go after him.” Nothing more has been said about that meeting since then, and Batman has seemed pretty buddy-buddy with Superman. In Justice League #10, they admitted to the rest of the League that they work together outside of the team. We got to see a good example of that in Action Comics #11 when Superman goes to Bats for advice over having just staged Clark Kent’s death. However, it’s clear that Superman’s ambitions are a bit more far-reaching than the rest of the Justice League, and not everyone will sit easy with that. Could this lead to Superman breaking from the team?

This wouldn’t be the first time the Justice League would be without Superman. Most notably, Superman was absent from the Justice League’s roster during Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis’ International run in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s. The creators were told they couldn’t use Superman as he was still being developed by John Byrne and company in his solo titles following Crisis on Infinite Earths. Giffen and DeMatteis made up for big blue’s absence by using characters like the aforementioned Captain Marvel and Captain Atom who matched Superman’s powers if not his personality. In fact, Superman was not a member of the Justice League for a majority of the 1990’s with the brief exception of the early issues of Dan Jurgens’ run (Justice League of America vol. 2 #61-69) where he led the team before his death and, of course, Grant Morrison’s JLA run which started in ’97. Otherwise the DC editorial staff made it a point to keep Superman separate from the Justice League of the 1990’s. Could we be headed for a similar era of the Justice League in the second year of the New 52?

It’s been said that Superman doesn’t need to belong to a team since anyone with his power levels could solve most problems by his or herself. If you think that’s true then I can only imagine what you would think about a line-up that contained Superman, Captain Marvel, and the Martian Manhunter all at once. Of course, it’s still not a given that J’onn J’onzz will be part of the team again or if his appearance in the book will be a flashback to the time when he was a member. You also can’t rule out the possibility of Captain Marvel and Martian Manhunter joining the group at different times with one of them having a short stint. And, yes, it is possible that Geoff Johns might try something as ambitious as having all three characters in the League at once. However, from the evidence presented, it looks like a distinct possibility that Superman’s days in the Justice League are numbered. I’m eagerly waiting for the New 52’s second year.http://www.comicvine.com/news/sdcc-2012-dc-comics-justice-league-and-green-lantern-panel/144933/

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SandMan_
    @Jekylhyde14: Would it actually make a difference? Superman has been non-existent in the Justice League title so far.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

Yeah to be honest..it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I've barley seen him in the book as it is.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@SandMan_:

You have a point. Superman has not been the most well-utilized character of the team so far. Johns has been concentrating on making the other members seem important. As a Superman fan, though, I'd miss him on the team. I'm sure I'm not alone.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SandMan_
    @Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_:

You have a point. Superman has not been the most well-utilized character of the team so far. Johns has been concentrating on making the other members seem important. As a Superman fan, though, I'd miss him on the team. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I am not sure what Johns is planning... But he really needs to focus on Superman for a while. GL and Batman have practically been the people that have had most face time. So has Cyborg, Aquaman, Barry and Diana.
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_:

I am not sure what Johns is planning... But he really needs to focus on Superman for a while. GL and Batman have practically been the people that have had most face time. So has Cyborg, Aquaman, Barry and Diana.

Agreed. I think this has been deliberate on Johns' part. When he's member of the team, Superman is a threat to steal the show. Many Justice League writers over-compensate for this by obviously going out of their way to downplay his importance. I feel like Johns has definitely been guilty of this which reinforces my theory that Superman may be on his way out soon.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Captain13

Johns said Captain Marvel and Superman would be on the team fighting back to back together. My bets are Aquaman, Green Lantern, or Batman leaving.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SandMan_
    @Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@SandMan_:

Agreed. I think this has been deliberate on Johns' part. When he's member of the team, Superman is a threat to steal the show. Many Justice League writers over-compensate for this by obviously going out of their way to downplay his importance. I feel like Johns has definitely been guilty of this which reinforces my theory that Superman may be on his way out soon.

Its a team book. Everyone should get face time. Superman is the only member that hasn't really done anything. I'm not sure if  what Johns is doing. I don't know if he has something planned for Superman. Which I really doubt.
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@Captain13 said:

Johns said Captain Marvel and Superman would be on the team fighting back to back together. My bets are Aquaman, Green Lantern, or Batman leaving.

When did he say this? At the panel?

Avatar image for lightningtiger2190
    LightningTiger2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is possibly Hal or Bruce(obvious choice). Hal isn't featured on anything green lantern for October so he could be leaving due to not having powers anymore.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Captain13

@Jekylhyde14: Yeah.

2:37--
    -"There's one sequence where Billy and Superman are fighting back-to-back, when Billy blows up a car. Superman is not quite amused. Billy tries it later with Cyborg, who is like, "sweet!" They wind up skeet-shooting cars later."

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2012-dc-comics-justice-league-green-lantern.html

4:48-
    -"As for Cyborg being on, he represents communication and technology, he's a human boom tube now. He's caught in the digital age, he can't unplug. He and Shazam are actually going to be buddies because of their age; they have a lot of fun together, let kids have some fun with their powers, maybe a little irresponsibly. I want to create a friendship like Hal and Barry had and Ted and Booster had, that mixture of Magic and Technology. Even though Shazam can't high-five Cyborg because when he does the first time he short circuits his armor."

Source: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2012-dc-comics-new-52.html

My bet is Aquaman will leave because he calls the League out in issue 12, or GL since he's replaced in Trinity War and missing on the cover of #13. Plus no one likes the way Johns writes GL in JL. Batman may leave because he's always getting punked for having no powers.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@Captain13:

Ah, I hadn't seen the Newsarama transcript. I only caught the one by Inferiorego. It's pretty ballsy if Johns is really going to write this thing with Supes, Billy, and J'onzz all on one team. Unless the Martian Manhunter isn't really joining OR he joins after either Supes or Billy leave.

I sort of like the odds on Green Lantern leaving with a new GL set to be introduced. Aquaman seems a bit obvious, though... And would DC really let Johns throw Batman off the team since he's the company's most popular character?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Captain13

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@Captain13:

Ah, I hadn't seen the Newsarama transcript. I only caught the one by Inferiorego. It's pretty ballsy if Johns is really going to write this thing with Supes, Billy, and J'onzz all on one team. Unless the Martian Manhunter isn't really joining OR he joins after either Supes or Billy leave.

I sort of like the odds on Green Lantern leaving with a new GL set to be introduced. Aquaman seems a bit obvious, though... And would DC really let Johns throw Batman off the team since he's the company's most popular character?

It could be several characters leaving... And if Spider-man is not currently on the main Avengers book,then maybe Batman doesn't need to be on JL, idk?

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Funrush

My guess is Aquaman. Hal and Sinestro are disappearing so I don't really want to count him, Batman is possible but unlikely. And Geoff confirmed it's not Supes.

polo327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By polo327

I could see Supes ending up disgruntled and leaving the League, could be a pretty cool story. Him going on his own and fulfilling his plans from AC 10

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrimsonCake

It will probably be Green lantern leaving.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By RainEffect

Take Batman out!

Then they'll all come crawling back when they need his prep expertise. xD

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SandMan_
    @RainEffect said:

Take Batman out!

Then they'll all come crawling back when they need his prep expertise. xD

lol
    noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By noj

Aquaman is the most likely canidate for leaving based on the cover of JL #12 and who he is fighting in the Trinity War teaser. Green Lantern will also probably be leaving due to his nonpresence in pretty much everything past Green Lantern #12. I feel like Batman Wonder Woman and Superman are going to be the mainstays of the team.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funrush

@noj said:

Aquaman is the most likely canidate for leaving based on the cover of JL #12 and who he is fighting in the Trinity War teaser. Green Lantern will also probably be leaving due to his nonpresence in pretty much everything past Green Lantern #12. I feel like Batman Wonder Woman and Superman are going to be the mainstays of the team.

Who was he fighting in FCBD? About GL, in one of the panels, Johns talked about when the new GL meets the Justice League, so he may join.

Roliepolieolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Roliepolieolie

I don't think they will be removing anyone from the holy trinity (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.) so soon from Justice League proper. But hell, anything is possible.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Nighthunter

JL 12 is the same month that the "third army starts" and since Johns' GL run has already made Hal quit the JL on two ocassions I would say he is a safe bet.

I think that Death of the family also gives the perfect excuse to take Bruce out of the JL equation too.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By kidchipotle

Hal is leaving. That's pretty obvious. Whoever else, I don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one will leave the team,they will change the rules and come to accept new members or will be under pressure from the American government ...

Is not only because things were a way it has to continue as they are, C'mon guys expand your minds

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By sethysquare

Batman and Superman is on the same team at the FCBD. If they leave both will. But then again, Superman appeared in #13

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crazyflashfan11

but superman is like, the most powerful

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.