Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3324 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

Who is the pointless member of the main JL guys?

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By icysloth

cyborg

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352  Edited By xybernauts

I don't see how Cyborg is pointless. He can open boom tubes and send the Justice League almost anywhere instantly. How is that useless. Do you know what that does for response times? And Batman's tech doesn't match Cyborgs tech. He's able to hack pretty much every computer on the planet including The Batcomputer and he's constantly monitoring them so no Batman couldn't do it as well. He knew many of Justice Leagues identities before they even revealed them. During the battle with Darkside, he pretty much was integral to defeating him cause not even Superman was strong enough to fight him. And he helped Batman save Superman from apocalypse by opening the boom tube that allowed them to escape. And because of his near death state he was able to see into the afterlife and find Graves. No other JL member can see into the afterlife. I know a lot of members downplay this by saying he's just a deus ex or something, but to me that's just a way to belittle his role on the team. So no Cyborg is far from the most useless person on the team. And I didn't even mention his ability to fly and his white noise canon.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By xybernauts

Oh, and by the way, for everyone who thinks affirmative action is such a bad thing, let's try this. Let's take all the caucasian characters in the DCU and Marvel Universe and turn them into blacks, Latinos, Indians and other minorities and completely neglect to include any Caucasians and lets see how you feel. Does anyone get that this country was built on the foundation of representation. It's about being represented and its about diversity which is sorely needed in comics. Those of you who don't understand that are either really dumb or straight up racist.

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By MisterKetch

Yeah Aquaman does kind of feel like the snow patrol guy on the GI Joes, his power set does make him perfectly suitable to above water combat but still he's basically a male wonder woman. Though I have to say between the League and there solo series I would have to go with the Flash, because my god Barry Allan is a complete idiot.

Cyborg is basically the bat computer with legs, after the first issue I think we've had one moment with him showcasing the dad issues but really no development besides that, he's basically the teams sentient mcguffin. Its a shame too because for a hot second it looked like DC was actually trying to put the spotlight on a new character instead of the same main characters from 40-50-60 years ago.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By Goddessa

This is how I see a very effective league. The trinity alone is enough to cover great threats.

Superman - Super Abilities

Batman - Wit / Intel

Wonder Woman - Comparable to Superman in abilities but will cover all magic base/divine foes (Supes and Martian Manhunter are almost useless if the Devil himself attacks) and the league needs a woman!!!

add...

Green Lantern - For long range attacks and outer space support

Flash - His speed is very valuable especially covering great number/distance of land base attacks (while Supes, WW, and GL are busy fighting above ground)

Martian Manhunter - His telepathy will coordinate the League, plus he is like Superman, so the more strength in the League the better!

So basically for me Aquaman, and Cyborg can go on holiday...in that order. :D

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#356  Edited By SUNMAN

If you want to be objective here its Batman. Everyone els eon the team has godlike abilities. I'm probably going to get flamed but that is how it is end of the day Batman's an exceptional man.

Every Justice League member is great in his or her own right, but objectively speaking its Batman. If we are answering this based on popularity or comic feats than it would be different.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#357  Edited By FlashKnight

Cyborg. Bring back MM!

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By TAneT62

How the hell is Wonder Woman a useless choice? She's the only female hero worth being on the JL, no wait, she's one of the only members worth being on there ... She is one of the main original founders ...

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#359  Edited By JairamGanpat

Batman is totally useless in the league. They dumb everyone down just to have him on the team.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#360  Edited By krspaceT

batman

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By BlackWind

@JairamGanpat said:

Batman is totally useless in the league. They dumb everyone down just to have him on the team.

This.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By SmashBrawler

So far, the only one that has a defined role in the team is Aquaman, which is "guy who stabs stuff at the right time".

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By xybernauts

Sorry for the long post, got bored.

Truthfully, I hate threads like this. They seem designed to bring out alot of intolerance For those who think WW is useless, having a woman on the team is just as important as having a minority. Personally I think none of the characters are useless. They all have abilities that make them useful in certain scenarios.

@Aero_gt said:

@Chronus: Not pointless, because Jl has always had it's primary peeps for a purpose and their back up. At first when Cyborg joined the league I joined the hate wagon and then just read it. Now I love this guy.

Thanks @Aero_gt for pointing this out because it illustrates in interesting point. I wonder how many of the people who think Cyborg is useless actually read the DCnU JL comic book. I know some people base their opinions only on what they think they know about the character. Maybe if they actually read JL they might like Cyborg. I think he's done pretty well.

@BatWatch said:

I would cut Flash if I had to since Superman and Wonder Woman can reach ridiculously fast speeds as well. Granted, Barry is much faster, but that little bit of extra speed is nothing compared to the muscle of WW and Supes.

I disagree. The Flash's powerset is very unique. He can do things that even Superman can't do. See Powers and AbilitiesEdit

@DarthShap said:

The thing is: DC needed a character who was his own man (so no Steel because he appeared as one of Superman's replacements) and who did not have the word "black" in his name and DC just does not have a lot of choice.

I agree.

@TheSwordsman said:

Nah. Steel is more of DC's Iron man even though he was written to fill the Superman void. He actually adds to the group and Steel is a great name, character, and has a great powerset.

No, Steel was written to compete with Milestone comics before DC purchased it. Steel was specifically meant to compete with Icon, who at the time was taking away a portion of DC's minority audience. The problem with Steel is he isn't an independent character. It isn't enough to add a minority character, but the character must be his own man, not stand in the shadow of another man. Steel would forever stand in the shadow of Superman. The only way to change this would be to get rid of the aspect of his character that makes him a Superman fanboy and take off the S symbol from his chest and give him his own symbol.

@Superdork said:

1. Martian Manhunter is not iconic. Sorry. I held up a picture of the Justice League to my gf, and I asked her to name the characters. She knew Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern because she watches Big Bang Theory. She called Martian Manhunter "Lizard Man" and Cyborg "Ice Man."

Furthermore, Geoff Johns has written Martian Manhunter in the past (Brightest Day), and he didn't believe that Martian Manhunter could hold a solo title. History proves that he's right. People just like MM BECAUSE he got replaced. Out of all the JL members his forum even has the least threads. I don't find him compelling or interesting as a solo character and I find him redundant as a team member on the JLA both in terms of his powers and his role on the team.

2. Cyborg is not a teenager in the DCnU. He was during his origin, but now he is 23 years old and all the JLA members are in their twenties, so they're all part of the same generation. He's dealing with the same twenty year old problems as his compatriots. And who cares if he's not the same? I don't want the JLA to be 7 copies of Superman or Batman or Flash.

3. Daddy Issues: Batman lost both parents (And He whines about it); Wonder Woman whines about how her mom kept the truth of her parantage from her. Superman deals with losing his biological parent issue. Flash has HUGE mommy issues. Aquaman has HUGE daddy issues. Green Lantern has some of the biggest daddy issues of all. Martian Manhunter was also a huge sad sack.

Cyborg is a great addition. Sorry someone at DC thought that there can only be 7 founders. Cyborg doesn't deserve all this bull$&!% just because he came onto the team as a founder.

You bring up some interesting points and I agree with most of them. Personally I think Cyborg was the best possible choice. John Stewart is like Steel, he'd sit in the shadow of Hal Jordan. The only way to fix that is to phase out Hal and the main Justice Leaguer and phase in Stewart, which I doubt they would do.

@X9 said:

I wouldn't say Aquaman. Our planet is 3/4 water and only 1/4 earth. It'd always be good to have someone on the team with enough power to flood the whole planet.

Why would you want to flood the whole planet? Isn't the JL's job to prevent the apocalypse, not cause it?

@Crom-Cruach said:

Anyone who says Aquaman needs a wake up call. His power to control sea life is insane powerful.

Yes but how often does he use it and how often do they go on underwater mission? Even if they did, Superman can probably hold his breath for a long time and swim fast and GL can travel through space so the idea that his power works underwater is a no brainier.

@KnightRise said:

@RainEffect said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

Since when does Superman have a Genius Intellect?

He's actually a brilliant inventor and can reverse engineer/repair Kryptonian tech he's never seeen before, based on observation and a little time

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#364  Edited By SUNMAN

Just in terms of powers and abilities:

Superman: The Paragon of Heroes

super speed, super strenght, invulnerability, super breath, freeze breath, laser vision, x-ray vision, flight, super senses, super endurance

He's got it all

Flash: The Scarlet Speedster

super speed (the fastest speedster)

The Quintessential Speedster

Wonder Woman: DemiGod

super strength, highly durable, magic weapons, flight, trained warrior

A warrior born and raised

Green Lantern: The Unique Guy

power ring (semi-invulnerable, capable of projecting hard light constructions, flight, and utilizing various other abilities through his power ring which are only limited by his imagination and willpower.)

His only limit is his imagination and will.

Cyborg: Technological Powerhouse

Cybernetics, Enhanced Body Resistance/Armor, Superhuman Strengt, Superhuman Speed, Superhuman Endurance, Superhuman Durability (bones are reinforced with molybdenum-steel), Computer Interfacing: unparalleled, Flight: Powered by boot jets, Integrated Weapons )sonic cannon and any other blaster beam, laser or gun in the world, Super Sensor Systems, Teleportation: Boom Tube.

"A physical and digital tank, the single most powerful source of information on the planet. There isn't a brick wall or firewall on earth that can keep cyborg out."

Aquaman: King of the Seven Seas

Controls fish: via telepathy, Breathing underwater, Swims really fast, Super Strength, Super durability, Magic Trident weapon,

The King of Atlantis

Batman: The Dark Knight

Master Detective, Master Martial Artist, Jack of All Trades, Billionaire, Master Strategist, Master Escape Artist, Master Spy, Keen scientific mind, Gadgets out the whazoo (too many to list)

You know who it is

Martian Manhunter: The Martian

All Superman's powers, but with shape shifting, invisibility, phasing, and telepathy

Should have been the strongest dude on the Justice League of America, but ends up getting jobbed constantly to make Superman look good and due to a lack of popularity. Fortunately the DCnU seems to be writing him correctly.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#365  Edited By tomlikesfries

Aquaman.

NazarethSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By NazarethSavage

No Member of the team is pointless. 

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By colonyofcells

All of the current Justice League members are quite useful. Once Atom shows up, Atom will be the useless one again.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By jphulk26

Once again Wonder Woman underrated to the extreme:

Main Powers

Superstrength, speed, durability, super reflexes (Faster than anyone on the team), flight, wisdom, healing factor

Lesser Known Powers

Ability to communicate with animals, wolves and hawks etc, voice alteration, can speak any language.

Physical abilities

Thousands of years of training in Martial, Warrior and Strategic fighting skills.

Weapons:

Bracelets, magic sword which can pierce through those with invulnerability, laso compels anyone who she has in it to tell her the truth and obey her, ability to manipulate also shape form and length at will.

I´m sorry if the JLA writers don´t write her character properly cause they´re a bunch of idiots, but check wikipedia before chatting crap.

And look, I´m a huge Batman fan, but anyone who is truly honest with themselves should know the answer to this question is Batman. But as someone said, this is about more than powers, but how they fit in as characters in a group. Who´s the least interesting characters then? in terms of mythology, distinct personality, iconic status, and powers.

In order, least interesting first

1. Green Lantern

2. Cyborg

3. Aquaman

4. The Flash

5. Martian Manhunter

6. Wonder Woman

7. Batman

8. Superman (although I love him)

Four of the last five are the most iconic for a reason and have the best stories which have been revisited time and again because they are so interesting.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By jphulk26

@Teerack: Such bullshit, what WW has to offer isa much cooler story, character and mythology than Cyborg or Aquaman plus she would kick there ass. This New 52 chick is not the Wonder Woman I know. The WW I know is a heavy hitter on so many levels god like powers (ala superman) with strategy and fighting skills of Batman. Thousands of years training. she handed Power Girl her ass a while ago, so I don´t really see where your coming from. But then agin New 52 has fucked up her character, mythos and powers, so maybe you´re right. who knows?

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#370  Edited By briangsharon

Justice League`s first priority is to defend earth.

Just based on places to defend

Earth = 71.11 percent water.

Aquaman = Essential.

Earth is surrounded by space and could be attacked from within the milky way

Green Lantern = Essential

(honorable mention to Superman)

The sky makes up a vast majority of the planet

Superman = Essential

(honorable mention Wonder Woman/Green Lantern/Batman)

Cities make up for the home of billions of people

Batman = Essential (Honorable mention to the Flash & basically everyone except aquaman)

Technology makes up the fibre that connects the earth

Cyborg=Essential

(Honorable mention to batman)

So based on this IMO its between Flash and Wonder Woman as the most redundant members.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By jphulk26

@drgnx: Diana has healing power granted to her by the earth god, cause of clay skin. she´d heal from a bullet wound or stab very quickly, that is if anyone can get past her reflexes. she´s also gone toe-to-toe with superman on many occassions. if we were being objective, you can´t let go of superman, wonder woman, MMH, The Flash or green lantern. it doesn´t matter about overlapping powers; and even if it did ww still has magic weapons, armor, sword of haefestus that could cut through even those who are invulnerable, thousand of years training in strategy and martial combat, faster reflexes than anyone on the team, resistance to mind control, healing power from contact with the earth, and the ability to summon animals to her aid.

Batman and Aquaman (as much as I love Bats my favorite of the team) are the weakest link, cause cyborg, pretty much just negates anything Batman is special for and the rest of the team negate Aquaman. even his fish telepathy can be mimiced by ww.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By jobbernos

@herrweis said:

cyborg is totally pointless

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#373  Edited By Press Oblivion

Batman.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By Twentyfive

Here we go again!

fiarwizord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By fiarwizord

Aqua man is now a badass , I'd say cyborg, WW is one of the most iconic superheroes.

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
    Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Cyborg.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By Superdork

@fiarwizord said:

Aqua man is now a badass , I'd say cyborg, WW is one of the most iconic superheroes.

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray said:

Cyborg.

How is a person who has access to every database and computer on earth pointless? How is a person who can crack literally any fire wall when no one else can pointless? How is a person who can remotely access alien technology unlike anyone else on Earth pointless? How is a person who can teleport, translate foreign languages, reproduce sounds, eradicate enemies with noise, crush enemies with his fists, and regenerates from attacks useless?

Seriously, I'd like to hear your answer, because your fanboyism is showing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.