Follow

Justice League of America

Team » Justice League of America appears in 3323 issues.

The Justice League (also known as the Justice League of America or the JLA) is a team comprised of the premier heroes of the DC Universe.

I Was Wrong About The Justice League Movie

• 119 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By sethysquare

@jphulk26 said:

@sethysquare: Ok if you love Hal so much, and it isn´t about race, why not have a black Hal jordan. ;)

seriously though the guy you quoted sounds like whiney white kid, whose been picked on at school by people of ethnic minorities and has spent his time reading comics in his basement, dreaming of having powers so he could take them on. News flash kid, we were all picked on and racial diversity is good for these films. Hal has already had a movie, it sucked, why cause Hal isn´t that cool.

Just to let you know, I'm not white.

Also, I don't make assumptions about other people, so unless he said he is being picked by black, asian, latin or whatever ethnicity, I'll agree with his post if its what I feel.

Clark Kent also had a movie and it sucks, so should Conner Kent take over him as Superman?

I love racial diversity myself, which is why I'm rooting for Cyborg to be in the film, if you haven't noticed, I'm the biggest Cyborg fan. I just don't like John Stewart cos he is the least interesting GL to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking of jsut cutting off that ambigous 6th member. Martian manhunter and Cyborg don't have much of an audience in the first place.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By jobbernos

i think 6 characters is enough.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#104  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@jphulk26 said:

@sethysquare: Ok if you love Hal so much, and it isn´t about race, why not have a black Hal jordan. ;)

seriously though the guy you quoted sounds like whiney white kid, whose been picked on at school by people of ethnic minorities and has spent his time reading comics in his basement, dreaming of having powers so he could take them on. News flash kid, we were all picked on and racial diversity is good for these films. Hal has already had a movie, it sucked, why cause Hal isn´t that cool.

actually it sucked do to poor writing and pacing as well as poor special effects (Parallax being a giant caca monster)

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#105  Edited By Zeeguy91

@cameron83 said:

@BlueLantern1995 said:

While I do like Hal better than John, I do not mind and approve DC doing this lineup...

same here.

But Hal is still way better in my opinion,but I don't know why some people only like John just because he was on the cartoon.That is the main reason why they want john on only because of that cartoon.I don't mind him being part of the JLA,in fact I thought he always was,but Hal is supposed to be the main one.He is like batwoman or something (whom I think I like better).......Did I use "whom" correctly?

Exactly. Although, I still think they should use Hal and Barry for the Justice League lineup. I actually think that they should stay as close to the comics as possible. That was my main gripe with both the Justice League cartoon and the Avengers movie (it would've been so great to see Ant-Man and Wasp on the big screen). The comics should be treated like (and I know this is kind of an extreme analogy, but...) a bible. There should be as little deviation as possible. I would much rather DC use the current Justice League line-up or the original one (with MM).

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Zeeguy91

@jphulk26 said:

He's still WAAAAAAY cooler than John could ever hope to be.

@sethysquare said:

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare: I think you're downplaying the importance of some of these issues, like having your wife killed, brought back to life and then killed again. That'll leave a mark on anyone, and the only reason people aren't talking about it is because the writers aren't talking about it.

But this is besides the point now, because you're comparing John Stewart to Kyle Rayner, and nobody ever said that Kyle wasn't a better character than John. No, Kyle is by far the most interesting and well developed of the Lanterns, that much is clear. Tha's why we were comparing John to Hal "no fear" Jordan, and Hal is a much weaker contender for that title.

I mean in the past two decades Hal has:

1. Turned to Parallax

2. Threatened the universe.

3. Died

4. Came back to life.

5. Spent the last decade pretending the previous four points never existed.

That's not how you develop a character. In regards to his character turning to Parallax was the best thing that ever happened to Hal, and now that they've done their best to forget that, he's back to being nothing more than a two dimensional bland stereotype of a character, in comparison to whom John Stewart is infinitely more interesting.

Then Kyle should be the star of Justice League then since we're looking for the most interesting and well developed green lantern.

Um.....how is Kyle the more developed character, again? Seriously, I hardly ever cared about Kyle before the New 52. He spent the majority of his time on JLA either being invisible or living in Hal's shadow.

And Hal didn't live like those first four points never happened. In fact, I remember a significant part of Geoff Johns' early run focusing on the fact that he had betrayed the Corps and him atoning for those sins. To say that it was brushed off is ridiculous because for a significant amount of time, he was hated by many of his other Lanterns because of those actions. Hell, even when Hal was Parallax and then the Spectre, he was 10X as interesting and developed as Kyle was.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AtPhantom

@Zeeguy91 said:

And Hal didn't live like those first four points never happened. In fact, I remember a significant part of Geoff Johns' early run focusing on the fact that he had betrayed the Corps and him atoning for those sins. To say that it was brushed off is ridiculous because for a significant amount of time, he was hated by many of his other Lanterns because of those actions. Hell, even when Hal was Parallax and then the Spectre, he was 10X as interesting and developed as Kyle was.

No, a significant part of Johns' early run focused on the the Corps accepting him back after the betrayal, by having Hal do heroic stuff. This had no influence whatsoever on Hal's own character. At no point did he offer any sort of apology or display any guilt to the people he freaking killed. The Parallax period is treated not as a defining moment of his life and an integral part of his character now, which it should be, but as a bump in the road to be forgotten and have no influence whatsoever on Hal, the corps, and the universe at large.

I will say this though, John's early run? Significantly superior to what came later, character wise. At least then the book was still about Hal, rather than the interesting people Hal meets.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By colonyofcells

Dc should just get rid of John Stewart, Guy Gardner, and Kyle Rayner similar to how they got rid of Wally West to keep the dc properties simpler and end useless debates.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@colonyofcells: Then Green Lantern would go from a 4 book franchise to a 2 book franchise... And they would lose a lot of pissed off readers. Wally fans are still pissed. Imagine that x3. People would hate Hal even more for his preferential treatment.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By xybernauts

The op is wrong about using John Stewart to represent minorities. He wouldn't work because the point behind using Cyborg goes beyond just the next JL movie. In the Justice League there are atleast 6 core JL members, not counting MM. Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, and GL. Technically when you think of the JL you think of these characters. The minority Justice Leaguers place on the team has to be permanent like the other JL characters. When you think of the minority J Leaguer you should always think of this character. John Stewart's place will always be overshadowed by the spectre of Hal Jordan (no pun intented). His place will always be in dispute. We can't have a character who is here in one incarnation of the JL and gone in the next (next comic reboot, or next animated movie, or tv series). His place must become a constant. And the Justice League will do a lot to carve a niche for that minority character. Such a opportunity would be wasted on Stewart. He's an ok character, but doesn't have the potential to carve a niche that Cyborg does. Cyborg is his own hero. He's not overshadowed by any other counterparts (i.e. Hal Jordan) who might take his place in later incarnations of the JL. Plus I actually like Hal Jordan's place as the resident a-hole and I don't think I'd like it if John Stewart took his place in that regard. I think there should be 8 JL members in the movie including both Cyborg, Hal Jordan, and MM.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By colonyofcells

I agree with using Cyborg as the token black super hero in the Justice League. Martian is just too similar to Superman. John Stewart is no longer needed with Hal Jordan being the main brand for Green Lantern in all media. For a Green Lantern franchise, I suggest titles like : Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Larfleeze, Star Sapphire, Sinestro, Indigo, Blue Lanterns.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I must admit that I still like this version more:

Justice League: The Movie
    Justice League: The Movie
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Zeeguy91

@AtPhantom: The Corps accepting him back and them hating him for his betrayal are really two sides to the same coin. One didn't happen without the other. And his experience with Parallax still does have a significant impact on his character. He helped Kyle overcome Parallax in SCW and I think I remember a recent issue where he was confronted by Parallax again.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By SUNMAN

@Wboy said:

I'm thinking of jsut cutting off that ambigous 6th member. Martian manhunter and Cyborg don't have much of an audience in the first place.

Aquaman doesn't have an audience either, but you want to include him. It's all about making the best movie. It's not like the Avengers had a big fanbase outside of Ironman and the Star power of Jackson and Scarlet.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Zeeguy91

@OutlawRenegade said:

@colonyofcells: Then Green Lantern would go from a 4 book franchise to a 2 book franchise... And they would lose a lot of pissed off readers. Wally fans are still pissed. Imagine that x3. People would hate Hal even more for his preferential treatment.

Exactly. Hal may be my favorite, but I in no way want to see the other three (now four) GLs be erased. Why? Because they have a place in the mythology. The GL Corps is a concept that, by its very nature, makes room for more than one Earthman. As much fans as Wally has, he didn't have a place anymore in the Flash mythos. As soon as Barry came back, Wally receded further and further into the background. It just didn't make sense for there to be two Flashes running around Central City because one's presence took away from the uniqueness of the other. Maybe if they had founded a Speed Force Corps...but that would've been stretching it.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By jphulk26

@xybernauts: I agree with the original OP, not because I like the characters most in his lineup, but because its most realistic and will make the better story. People need to start thinking about the story and general audience. He explains his position well and no bodies actually debating his point. He admits John isn´t that interesting, because not much has been defined about him, he´s therefore saying he has the most potential to develop an interesting character and he explains why. This isn´t about whether or not we like Hal, its about the dynamic between the characters. The New 52 JL is no where near as good as the animated series, and there´s a reason.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By xybernauts

@jphulk26: Well your missing a large portion of my argument. It's not about liking one character over the other, it's about developing a long term minority Justice Leaguer who won't come and go as the times change.

Hal Jordan's place on the team will always conflict with John Stewart's. Unless DC makes a big push to phase out Hal Jordan and phase in John Stewart as DC's #1 GL (which I don't see happening), his role on the team probably won't last beyond the current movie and subsequent sequels. I mean they tried to phase Hal Jordan back in the 90's when he became Parallax during Zero Hour and in the end they just brought him back again. After that I really doubt DC will try again. I think what any minority wants is a permanent representative whose presence persists throughout the DC mythos , not just a token black guy they use for this movie and then disappears in the next. Cyborg is the better choice because he isn't overshadowed by any other character. His identity is his own.

But focusing on the next movie, you said...

He admits John isn´t that interesting, because not much has been defined about him, he´s therefore saying he has the most potential to develop an interesting character and he explains why.

If no one has developed him adequately before, what makes you think it'll happen in the next movie? I mean the movie has to develop at least 5-6 other characters in the course of the movie. What makes you believe that they will have time to develop Stewart in a way that makes him as interesting as @Captain13: says he could be? He'd have to take up a significant percentage of the movie, and I doubt that DC/WB would invest that much time on this character over some of the other more classic heroes. With Hal Jordan, atleast some of the general public has some background on the character from the recent Green Lantern CGI series and GL live action movie. To me It'd be a bad move for DC/WB to throw all that away now. With Hal you then can use the time that you'd be using to develop Stewart to develop some of the other lesser known heroes. With Stewart (based on @Captain13's line up) you have to reintroduce the new GL, plus WW, MM, and Flash. With Hal, you just have to introduce WW, Flash, and Cyborg (assuming Aquaman isn't included).

Yes Stewart has had some exposure on the Justice League and JL Unlimited series, but that was a decade ago. At least Hal is fresh on the minds of the general public.

Also, you make an unfair comparison between the JL animated series and the DCnU JL comic book. The DCnU JL comic book has been out only 14 books. The JL animated series had 52 episodes and that's not even counting Justice League Unlimited series. And truthfully, I never really liked the Justice League series. It was boring, but I absolutely loved Justice League Unlimited.

The @Captain13: said basically that Stewart...

...really that he´s so undefined and therefore has great potential

The thing is you can kinda say the same thing about the rebooted version of Cyborg. Cyborg also has alot of potential to develop as a character. Based on Geoff John's portrayal, basically Cyborg is the rookie hero of the Justice League. So if you wanted to develop a story around this character you could develop one where he learns the ropes from the other vets.

The @Captain13: also said

How would some of these experiences change his attitude towards being a superhero?How will they differ from an idealistic middle class all American country boy? A billionaire who faced tragedy at an early age, but has nonetheless been afforded all the privileges society has to offer? A Princess, who comes from a Utopian society, in which the idea of racial tension or division is a ridiculous and cruel notion? An alien, who´s seen the cruelest side of war? And, a Generation X/Y slacker, who struggles to take anything in life seriously?

Well Cyborg is the young teenager who had his whole life ahead of him. After being crippled by an explosion and rebuilt into a cyborg he now struggles with the question of whether he is more man then machine or more machine then man. Where does one end and the other begin? Did he really survive the explosion or is he just a fancy Frankenstein's monster or has he become more because of the advanced technology that is a part of him? Does he have a soul? Plus they can explore how being caught in an explosion has caused him emotional trauma (i.e. like PTSD). Perhaps the questions about his humanity stem from the PTSD that comes when one is converted into a cyborg. Is being a hero just a coping mechanism? And most important, as the rookie hero, how does he live up to the reputations of the vets around him. What does Cyborg fight for as a hero and what does he have to offer? Not only does Cyborg have the potential to appeal to minorities, but if done in the right way he can appeal to teenagers by exploring teen issue of finding ones place in the world and he can appeal to the mentally and physically disabled. The key would be to devlop the process revolving around his origin. Instead of just getting up and walking off the operating table, if they extended the process to explore real life processes that the disabled go through when learning how to use prosthetic limbs and the like. And if there is time, they can even explore his relationship (or lack there of) with his father and how the loss of his mother effected them both. I don't believe that there will be time for all that exploration in the movie, but the point is Cyborg also has alot of potential for development too.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By colonyofcells

I have to agree Cyborg has greater potential as a solo star compared to Black Lightning and John Stewart. All John Stewart is good for is accidentally blowing up planets, ooops.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By sethysquare

@Zeeguy91 said:

@jphulk26 said:

He's still WAAAAAAY cooler than John could ever hope to be.

@sethysquare said:

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare: I think you're downplaying the importance of some of these issues, like having your wife killed, brought back to life and then killed again. That'll leave a mark on anyone, and the only reason people aren't talking about it is because the writers aren't talking about it.

But this is besides the point now, because you're comparing John Stewart to Kyle Rayner, and nobody ever said that Kyle wasn't a better character than John. No, Kyle is by far the most interesting and well developed of the Lanterns, that much is clear. Tha's why we were comparing John to Hal "no fear" Jordan, and Hal is a much weaker contender for that title.

I mean in the past two decades Hal has:

1. Turned to Parallax

2. Threatened the universe.

3. Died

4. Came back to life.

5. Spent the last decade pretending the previous four points never existed.

That's not how you develop a character. In regards to his character turning to Parallax was the best thing that ever happened to Hal, and now that they've done their best to forget that, he's back to being nothing more than a two dimensional bland stereotype of a character, in comparison to whom John Stewart is infinitely more interesting.

Then Kyle should be the star of Justice League then since we're looking for the most interesting and well developed green lantern.

Um.....how is Kyle the more developed character, again? Seriously, I hardly ever cared about Kyle before the New 52. He spent the majority of his time on JLA either being invisible or living in Hal's shadow.

Im just trying to prove that Kyle is > John and since Hal > Kyle, Hal > John.

Which is why Hal should be in the movie. I also love Cyborg and hopefully he would be in the movie beside Hal

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.