Follow

Jonathan Luna

Person » Jonathan Luna is credited in 137 issues.

American comic artist born in 1979. He and his brother Joshua are known as the Luna brothers. They're the creators of three series published by Image: Ultra, Girls, and The Sword.

Interview: Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn talk ALEX + ADA

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last month the first issue of ALEX + ADA by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn was released by Image Comics. The second issue hits stands this week and caught up with the two to find out more about this new world they're building.

What would you do if you came into possession of a realistic android?

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: In creating a new comic book world, you have to start someplace. Where did the idea for this time and setting come from?

JONATHAN LUNA: I’ve wanted to tell a futuristic story for a long time. I’ve been fascinated with androids and how we’d interact with them. And since I have leanings toward drama and romance, all of it just meshed together into ALEX + ADA. I brought a simple concept to Sarah, a writer-friend who’s really into romance comics, in early 2013, and since then we’ve been talking constantly, developing the world and scripts.

CV: The idea of artificial intelligence becoming self-aware has been a debatable topic. Do you have a stance on the matter that you're trying to convey in the story?

SARAH VAUGHN: The book isn’t necessarily a stance on sentience and whether or not it’s possible, but more a social and emotional exploration of what happens if it does. My personal view is it would be presumptuous to ever believe something is impossible. There is so much about science and life we are constantly discovering that changes the game.

No Caption Provided

CV: There are definite pros and cons to living in a world like Alex's. Would you hope to see any of the technological advances happen in the real world?

JL: Very true. As technology progresses, life becomes more convenient and efficient for us. So I guess I would like to see most of them happen. On the other hand, it makes me feel like I’m lazy. But we human beings are drawn to an easier life. No one wants to exert any more energy they don’t have to.

All said, I’d love to have holographs in my life. Prime Wave would be cool. It’s basically a computer in your head. But I don’t know if I’d go that far.

SV: I would hope to see the butler-robots, for sure, and self-driving cars if I was guaranteed I’d survive. There’s a new piece of technology coming up in issue 3 that I could easily lose myself to. And that’s the scary thing, isn’t it? How much of our everyday life are we going to give up for technology?

CV: It's never fully stated but are there any plans to give us an approximate time frame for the story - about how far in the future it takes place?

JL: We thought it would be a mistake to do that. When a futuristic book meets the time within it, it just dates it.

SV: There’s something fun and disappointing at the same time about watching a sci-fi movie that takes place in 2012 or 2015, and seeing that the real world is nowhere near as advanced as how the movie envisioned. On the other side, you don’t want to go out too far where today’s technology could surpass what’s in the story.

No Caption Provided

CV: We saw a little "history" in the newscast in issue 1. Any plans to fill us in on other events that have taken place in reaching this point in time?

SV: A bit, yes. For the most part the Nexaware Massacre has shaped the world Alex interacts with, and we’ll be elaborating more on it.

CV: The first issue introduces us to Alex and we see him meet Ada. What will be the tone or direction of the series? Will it focus on their 'relationship' or will there be other plot elements?

SV: The story revolves around Alex, Ada, and their relationship, but they’re also a small piece of a larger picture. They’ll be meeting more characters and experiencing more sides of android/owner life, and what it’s like to live in a world that both loves and fears robots.

No Caption Provided

CV: How much of an exploration will we see on the morality of having a companion robot and the things some people in this society do with them? We saw one protester asking for robot rights. Will this come up some more?

JL: It will definitely come up more and is a major part of the story. Issue 3 is where we delve deeper into this and the meat of the story.

No Caption Provided

If you missed the first issue, a second printing is on sale this Wednesday, December 11, as is ALEX + ADA #2.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For the first time ever I'm first!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

weird?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On topic, this sounds interesting, I'm gonna try the first issue.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave it a read through whilst visiting the nearest comic shop to me. I dig it. I'm liking the feel for this story and where it could possibly wind up.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I read the whole thing, but I still don't get it.

I thought it was pretty simple, its about a human and an android, where the human(possibly) is the owner of the android. The android possibly develops emotions I guess.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@allstarsuperman said:

I mean I read the whole thing, but I still don't get it.

I thought it was pretty simple, its about a human and an android, where the human(possibly) is the owner of the android. The android possibly develops emotions I guess.

oh, okay

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

I like the Luna Bros. a great deal. So weird to see them work apart from each other. I read Josh Luna's last Image mini, Whispers and it was pretty good. Havent gotten around to reading this just yet.

Avatar image for scarletwitchfever
    ScarletWitchFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

The first issue was interesting enough if you like the genre. As I do, I'll be picking up the second issue, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Park

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Park

This looks pretty cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.