What's on the Joker's serving tray?

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for nightwing28710
#1 Posted by Nightwing28710 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you think is on the Joker's serving tray?

I'm going to guess it's cake. His birthday or anniversary with Bats.

Avatar image for end_boss
#2 Edited by End_Boss (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I was talking about it with my best friend and my girlfriend, and...

I think it's Alfred's head. Due to the fact that the other principle family members were all shown on live video feed, apparently in another location, just before it was delivered and the fact that having Alfred's head served on a silver platter would be the kind of extra dig that the Joker could never resist. It would also prove, without question, that Joker knows who Batman is.
Avatar image for nightwing28710
#3 Edited by Nightwing28710 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss: you might be right. I can see the symbolism between the two.

Avatar image for thecrowbar
#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4397 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for end_boss
#5 Posted by End_Boss (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Well, yeah, that could be it too. Either way, it serves the same purpose.

Avatar image for mk111
#6 Posted by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe...

It is his SANITY!

Avatar image for urban_ronin
#7 Posted by Urban_Ronin (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

Avatar image for mr_winchester
#8 Posted by Mr_Winchester (735 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought it was Alfreds eyes but his head would make more sense given the other criminals reaction...

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
#9 Posted by Manbehindthewires (361 posts) - - Show Bio

Either a chunk of Harley or something tying Bruce to Batman

Avatar image for mk111
#10 Posted by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall:

Oh, ew. Its in black-and-white!

Avatar image for end_boss
#11 Posted by End_Boss (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires said:

... a chunk of Harley...

What gave you this impression? I don't see why Joker would serve up a piece of Harley to Batman...

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
#12 Posted by Manbehindthewires (361 posts) - - Show Bio

Couple of reasons:

1. I think Death of the Family refers to the death of Batman's Rogues Gallery, not his allies, Harley may be the first to go, Joker already has 3 key villains locked away and Snyder has said in interviews they'd like to steer clear of some of the main villains for a while.

2. Suicide Squad #15 Harley was warned by Joker that he'd had and killed other "harleys" before.

3. Harley has laid low for a few issues now, considering how regular she was in DotF's earlier foundations, this would account for, and make for a shocking comeback

4. I think the platter is for everyone, not just for the Bats.

Avatar image for joygirl
#13 Posted by Joygirl (21031 posts) - - Show Bio

Jelly beans.

Avatar image for akbogert
#14 Posted by akbogert (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

Granted, even following the books in so-called order it's a little tough to keep track, but I was under the impression there were different trays for different members of the Bat "family."

The only reason I don't think it's Alfred is because the other villains aren't supposed to know who Batman is, so the true horror of serving his butler's head up probably wouldn't strike them the way they seem struck. Unless, you know, they're fazed by mere macabre. Also, the next Suicide Squad book (#16) already features Harley back to seemingly-regularly-scheduled programming. So there's that.

Avatar image for end_boss
#15 Posted by End_Boss (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires: Interesting theory, though I'm not sure I agree. Joker's whole thing right now is wanting to get "his" Batman back, and he wants to do this by making him stronger. I don't see how removing his primary antagonists would accomplish that. As for the Suicide Squad stuff with Harley, I think he was just blowing smoke, trying to get inside Harley's head to make her (in his words) "what he needed her to be." I don't think there have been Harleys before her, not truly.

@akbogert: Dastardly.

@akbogert: I didn't know there was supposed to be more than one tray. That's an interesting tidbit. I still think it's Alfred's head/face though, and yeah, I think they were fazed by the sight of it simply because of the gore.

Avatar image for nightwing28710
#16 Posted by Nightwing28710 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Granted, even following the books in so-called order it's a little tough to keep track, but I was under the impression there were different trays for different members of the Bat "family."

Hmm. I was thinking it's the same tray. Maybe it is multiple trays.

Avatar image for innervenom123
#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

There are two great theories I've heard.

Here they are:

Avatar image for nightwing28710
#18 Edited by Nightwing28710 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: If Alfred is the Joker my head will explode. Alfred became the Joker to make Bruce a better hero. lol

It seems ridiculous Alfred and the Joker could be the same person after all these years, but I wouldn't put it past DC at this point.

Alfred/Joker just had a double in Arkham all those times......

Avatar image for samimista
#19 Posted by Samimista (22269 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

I was talking about it with my best friend and my girlfriend, and...

I think it's Alfred's head. Due to the fact that the other principle family members were all shown on live video feed, apparently in another location, just before it was delivered and the fact that having Alfred's head served on a silver platter would be the kind of extra dig that the Joker could never resist. It would also prove, without question, that Joker knows who Batman is.

I'd really like to see this happen.

Avatar image for saren
#20 Posted by Saren (27534 posts) - - Show Bio

Cassandra Cain.

Avatar image for billy_batson
#21 Posted by Billy Batson (59599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Cassandra Cain.

Nah, Stephanie Brown.
BB

Avatar image for knighthood
#22 Posted by knighthood (1917 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@End_Boss said:

I was talking about it with my best friend and my girlfriend, and...

I think it's Alfred's head. Due to the fact that the other principle family members were all shown on live video feed, apparently in another location, just before it was delivered and the fact that having Alfred's head served on a silver platter would be the kind of extra dig that the Joker could never resist. It would also prove, without question, that Joker knows who Batman is.

I'd really like to see this happen.

Not me. It is too Seven-ish. Everyone is already making many "what's in the box?" references. I would hope Snyder would do something more original.

Avatar image for saren
#23 Posted by Saren (27534 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@CitizenBane said:

Cassandra Cain.

Nah, Stephanie Brown.
BB

Nah, Barbara Gordon's original spine.

Avatar image for loki9876
#24 Posted by Loki9876 (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Alfred's head is a bit too logical and predictable.

Avatar image for saren
#25 Posted by Saren (27534 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

There are two great theories I've heard.

Here they are:

Someone on /co/ suggested that there's a mind-swap machine underneath the lid. Joker switches brains with Bruce and becomes the Better Batman.

Avatar image for nightwing28710
#27 Edited by Nightwing28710 (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Jelly beans.

If it's Jelly Beans then all the Joker did is forgiven. ;)

@CitizenBane said:

Someone on /co/ suggested that there's a mind-swap machine underneath the lid. Joker switches brains with Bruce and becomes the Better Batman.

Genius! Why didn't Marvel think of that? :P

Avatar image for mwells3456
#28 Edited by mwells3456 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not trying to be overly sadistic here but I am kind of hoping it is something much worse than some body part of Alfred. I'm kind of hoping it is something that will be a major game-changer... like a body part of each hero. I'm thinking about nighthawks left eye (because he wears a patch in Batman Beyond. Maybe it is something that takes all of the heroes out of the game (at least for a a while) except for maybe Damien and/or Jason Todd. Thoughts?

Let me add - I know we never saw Joker capture anyone other than BatGirl, Batman and Damien, but maybe that's why. Maybe the other were captured and that won't be revealed until Batman #17

Avatar image for imagine_man15
#29 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing28710 said:

@InnerVenom123: If Alfred is the Joker my head will explode. Alfred became the Joker to make Bruce a better hero. lol

It seems ridiculous Alfred and the Joker could be the same person after all these years, but I wouldn't put it past DC at this point.

Alfred/Joker just had a double in Arkham all those times......

I don't think the theory was implying that Alfred has ALWAYS been Joker, I think it was saying that Alfred is THIS Joker. That's why Harley said Joker was different, and Batman remarked how odd it was about Joker getting his hands dirty, and Joker being able to take out the cops physically... Joker is behaving differently in Death of the Family than he has in the past, and there's a reason for that... it isn't REALLY Joker, its Alfred wearing Joker's face, having orchestrated this whole thing. Who knows where the real Joker might be, but this one is Alfred playing the role to torment Batman... according to that theory, anyway.

And it actually makes a disturbing level of sense, especially considering Alfred's mental breakdown way back when... we know how Snyder loves referencing old stories, bringing back obscure concepts from the past and integrating them in new ways.

Of course I don't think this is actually going to be the case, I'm pretty sure that's not where the story is headed... just clearing that up.

Avatar image for colonyofcells
#30 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it is just the long lost wig of Alfred ?

Avatar image for mk111
#31 Edited by mk111 (3148 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe its an apple.

Or Superman's red underwear.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#32 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (15333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

I think Alfred's head is a bit too logical and predictable.

I know, he likes to make things shocking so I don't think so either.

Avatar image for colonyofcells
#33 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it is just the 2 balls of Alfred so Alfred can't have a family anymore.

Avatar image for akbogert
#34 Posted by akbogert (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15: I was pretty sure I remember actually seeing Alfred attacked, not via security camera (which could be explained away as part of tricking Batman) but simply as a reader, which pretty much rules that out.

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#35 Posted by TDK_1997 (17263 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred's face I think.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing28710 said:

@InnerVenom123: If Alfred is the Joker my head will explode. Alfred became the Joker to make Bruce a better hero. lol

It seems ridiculous Alfred and the Joker could be the same person after all these years, but I wouldn't put it past DC at this point.

Alfred/Joker just had a double in Arkham all those times......

Which is not only completely stupid but also unoriginal.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Avatar image for innervenom123
#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#39 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

LOL NO.

Avatar image for lvenger
#40 Edited by lvenger (28732 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Avatar image for lvenger
#42 Posted by lvenger (28732 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Despite being a big Snyder fan, I have to say if he makes Alfred this Joker, I might get angry with him. How do you explain the security footage anyway? And what if the big reveal is that there are multiple Jokers? That would piss me off. And I haven't read Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow but I know what happens and since For The Man Who Has Everything (which I have read) is one of my top 5 favourite Superman stories, it's most likely an excellent story.

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#43 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Despite being a big Snyder fan, I have to say if he makes Alfred this Joker, I might get angry with him. How do you explain the security footage anyway? And what if the big reveal is that there are multiple Jokers? That would piss me off. And I haven't read Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow but I know what happens and since For The Man Who Has Everything (which I have read) is one of my top 5 favourite Superman stories, it's most likely an excellent story.

It's like Barbara turning out to be Ivy,Steph becoming Harley or Bane turning out to be Superman.

Avatar image for lvenger
#44 Edited by lvenger (28732 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Despite being a big Snyder fan, I have to say if he makes Alfred this Joker, I might get angry with him. How do you explain the security footage anyway? And what if the big reveal is that there are multiple Jokers? That would piss me off. And I haven't read Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow but I know what happens and since For The Man Who Has Everything (which I have read) is one of my top 5 favourite Superman stories, it's most likely an excellent story.

It's like Barbara turning out to be Ivy,Steph becoming Harley or Bane turning out to be Superman.

Hmm you have me there. And to think I thought Death of the Family was so good up until now. And the grim truth is that Alfred would be the most likely candidate to know about all the Bat family's identities and weaknesses. An unfortunate point I hadn't thought of.

EDIT: But now that I think about it more, there were a couple of instances when Alfred was present with Bruce and Joker was elsewhere. Like in the first issue when he killed the son of someone Joker killed in a Golden Age story. So that gives me hope this Joker isn't Alfred. That does pose the question of whether Snyder'll kill Alfred instead though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45261 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in each tray is a clue confirming that he knows there identity

Online
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#46 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is good, but for Moore, it's certainly nothing amazing. It is certainly "the last Superman story", since it has a huge ENDING feel to it, but it's honestly not that tremendous. 
 
Also, completely different to Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. There's really nothing comparable between them other than the name.
Avatar image for billy_batson
#47 Posted by Billy Batson (59599 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was quite good.
BB

Avatar image for entropy_aegis
#48 Posted by entropy_aegis (18005 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is good, but for Moore, it's certainly nothing amazing. It is certainly "the last Superman story", since it has a huge ENDING feel to it, but it's honestly not that tremendous. Also, completely different to Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. There's really nothing comparable between them other than the name.

@Billy Batson said:

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was quite good.
BB

Thanks.@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

If Alfred turns out to be Joker I'll never read another Batman comic again.

Pfft.

You know you'd love it.

Didn't Neil Gaiman make Alfred the Joker in an alternate story of part one of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" If that's true Snyder'll be ripping off Gaiman there.

That's why I said that it's unoriginal,Morrison explained that as part of the realities Bruce was stuck in/imagining under the Omega Sanction.

BTW how's Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Despite being a big Snyder fan, I have to say if he makes Alfred this Joker, I might get angry with him. How do you explain the security footage anyway? And what if the big reveal is that there are multiple Jokers? That would piss me off. And I haven't read Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow but I know what happens and since For The Man Who Has Everything (which I have read) is one of my top 5 favourite Superman stories, it's most likely an excellent story.

It's like Barbara turning out to be Ivy,Steph becoming Harley or Bane turning out to be Superman.

Hmm you have me there. And to think I thought Death of the Family was so good up until now. And the grim truth is that Alfred would be the most likely candidate to know about all the Bat family's identities and weaknesses. An unfortunate point I hadn't thought of.

EDIT: But now that I think about it more, there were a couple of instances when Alfred was present with Bruce and Joker was elsewhere. Like in the first issue when he killed the son of someone Joker killed in a Golden Age story. So that gives me hope this Joker isn't Alfred. That does pose the question of whether Snyder'll kill Alfred instead though.

I hope so but after Lincoln March/Owlman I wouldn't at all be surprised.

Avatar image for lvenger
#49 Posted by lvenger (28732 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Well Snyder does go for shocking endings I guess. But to do that to Alfred would ruin the very legacy and history of the character plus bring an unwanted change in the Batman mythology. Plus it kind of makes Alfred out to be a little bit gay given the way the Joker acts towards Batman in this story which I like but not if Alfred is the Joker. It undermines the father figure and mentor Alfred has been to Bruce.

Avatar image for dondave
#50 Posted by dondave (41357 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.