Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4239 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

How would you describe Jokers obsession with Batman

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

That catwoman comic where she said he was in love with batman i just thought it was joker being joker not dening it. But then on dc database they said it like he was homo. I loved it when it was Harley but wat are your thought.

Detroit101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Detroit101

He needs to go on a diet...

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

My guess is the Joker problem can be solved if Dick Grayson hooks up with the Joker and they will live happily ever after.

ladymastermind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ladymastermind

First off, the Joker is gay???? when did that start???? Second off, I think that when the Joker says he's in love with Batman, I think he's obsessed with the war he's always had with Batman. I mean, Batman and the Joker have always been the number one hero vs archnemesis in comics.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe the Joker is not gay but does have a grey spandex fetish ?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Stormbox

@ladymastermind said:

First off, the Joker is gay???? when did that start???? Second off, I think that when the Joker says he's in love with Batman, I think he's obsessed with the war he's always had with Batman. I mean, Batman and the Joker have always been the number one hero vs archnemesis in comics.

Well... just look at the fourth, fifth and sixth panels here

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colonyofcells

I would stay away from the Batman bec. Batman might be constipated ?

redhoodnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By redhoodnet

Come on...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Squalleon

Joker is a genius,i believe even before he gets thrown in the chemicals and when he saw Batman someone more clever than him he decided that he is gonna fight him until one of them dies and the other becomes better than ever

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By serpent222

I see the whole thing as an extension of Joker's awareness. I subscribe to the theory that Joker is aware that he is in a comic book. But even if he doesn't, he sees the big picture, and he knows how absurd his and Batman's existence are to one another. If taken alone, neither make sense. Joker would just be another faceless psychopath who just added a gimmick. Batman is a maladjusted PTSD sufferer who took to the streets like a madman. If you take either by themselves, society would be hard pressed to accept them. But when you add them together, it makes sense. Joker is a production of the madness that drives Batman to act as he does. Batman is a response to the madness that creates Joker. Really, they share an origin in that sense. To see them fight each other kind of justifies both of their existences. If the world knows that there are multiple joker's out there, they can embrace a batman. If they know there is a Batman out there, they can tolerate a Joker running around (IE, he isn't just shot and killed by police and that's that). They feed off of one another as parallels, and Joker sees it and embraces it.

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
    Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

He's a poor man who can't handle rejection well, he needs to get laid

just get a gigolo with a batman suit on

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jokergeist

1) According to the most accepted theory of Joker's origin (Killing Joke), the Joker had a wife and even an unborn child before he turned crazy.

2) He even has a girlfriend, Harley Quinn.

He's not homosexual. At times when Joker does something that may imply homosexuality - It's just to irritate Batman. It's one of his many ways of mocking Batman. It's a joke! As for his obsession, Batman keeps the Joker on his toes, which is exactly what the Joker wants. He enjoys the challenge of Batman's intelligence against his wit.

"I like these battles of wits! The hunt... the chase!...That's the breath of life to me! And besides... I'd like to see how you fare now! Ha Ha!"

-The Joker, Detective Comics #62

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By VaizD

I think, like any other aspect of The Joker, a lot of it is up to the interpretation of the pen behind his words. Some writers, such as Grant Morrison when writing Arkham Asylum, definitely take to portraying Joker having a sort of homoerotic fixation on Bats. Then again, Grant Morrison sort of set the precedent that The Joker can be whatever the hell he wants at any given moment, and is also a crazy person (Grant, I mean, not The Joker), so take that with a grain of salt. What is for certain and has remained pretty much carved in stone for the last forty someodd years of Batman continuity, is that The Joker sees himself in a sort of symbiosis with Batman in existence. Neither of them can exist without the other. I would hearken back to 'Going Sane', a story where Joker thought Batman dead and miraculously reverted to a sane state of mind, as if his reason for madness had gone and he was trapped in a depressive, sober state.

TL;DR: The Joker is obsessed with Batman. He sees himself as the grind stone that keeps Batman sharp (as we're seeing in Snyder's run), and Batman is just a good ol' party to him

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Two kids are playing cops and robbers. One of is always the cop and the other is always the robber. The robber has fun, trying to elude the cop for as long as he can, but he knows he's going to get caught eventually, it's the nature of the game. But the cop takes it so damn serious, every second the robber escapes his clutches is another second that the robber wins. At the end of the game, when the cop catches him, they stop playing, each go home and spend their time thinking of the next game. How will the cop best catch the robber? Where can the robber best hide? Is hiding the best option? Should he provide the cop with a distraction? The game is all that occupies his thoughts; how best to outplay the cop that takes it all too damn serious. If the cop were to stop playing, because the robber ceased to make the game interesting, well then the robber is all alone isn't he? Friendless and alone, just running around chasing his own tail. 

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Two kids are playing cops and robbers. One of is always the cop and the other is always the robber. The robber has fun, trying to elude the cop for as long as he can, but he knows he's going to get caught eventually, it's the nature of the game. But the cop takes it so damn serious, every second the robber escapes his clutches is another second that the robber wins. At the end of the game, when the cop catches him, they stop playing, each go home and spend their time thinking of the next game. How will the cop best catch the robber? Where can the robber best hide? Is hiding the best option? Should he provide the cop with a distraction? The game is all that occupies his thoughts; how best to outplay the cop that takes it all too damn serious. If the cop were to stop playing, because the robber ceased to make the game interesting, well then the robber is all alone isn't he? Friendless and alone, just running around chasing his own tail.

Excellently said!

DamianWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DamianWayne

Well, in the newest issue of Scott Snyder's run in Batman, Bruce is constantly finding himself thinking about the Joker's eyes, remarking that he has studied the human eye and knows every movement they make to show what they're feeling. (Anger, hatred, lying etc.) and yet, The Joker's eyes never change, they just stay black dots in the center of his eyes.

So, as Bruce is on his way to confront The Joker, he tries to convince himself That The Joker is nothing but a man, just like him, he can be hurt, he can be scared. He wants to stare The Joker in the eyes until teh clown flinches and make sure that he is a man, although, then he goes on to say ignore the fact that what you saw those tuny puples do was expand, ignore that what you saw those black eyes expand with...Was love.

So, yes, I do believe that the Joker loves Batman. I don't think it's a kind of homo love, I think it's more of a...friendship kind've love, deep down, The Joker knows that his only friend is Batman, and a much as Batman tries to supress the thought, he knows that he is a friend to the Joker. They can't be one without the other, thus proving that there is a strange bond between them.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

drixaeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drixaeterna

@serpent222 said:

Joker is a production of the madness that drives Batman to act as he does. Batman is a response to the madness that creates Joker. Really, they share an origin in that sense. To see them fight each other kind of justifies both of their existences.

That's an excellent way to put it. I think the Joker needs Batman to, well, exist. There's a kind of pair of opposites in semantics known as relational antonyms. Relational antonyms only make sense in pairs, so one doesn't make sense without the other (e.g teacher,student; husband, wife). Where there exists one, there exists the other. I feel it's the same with Batman and Joker.

If you take a look at those words I used as examples for relational antonyms, they aren't really opposites in the sense that they function in opposite ways like hot and cold or high and low. They're opposites in the sense that one's function is to be the contextual partner of the other. Batman and Joker and the same. They're both madmen in their own way.

@serpent222 said:

Joker would just be another faceless psychopath who just added a gimmick. Batman is a maladjusted PTSD sufferer who took to the streets like a madman.

In terms of being contextual partners, they're similar. A Joker would just be another faceless psychopath who just added a gimmick. Batman is a maladjusted PTSD sufferer who took to the streets like a madman. teacher is only a teacher when there is a student to teach. A student is only a student when there is a teacher to learn from. Joker probably feels the same way about Batman. Joker can't be Joker if there isn't a Batman to joke.

@VaizD said:

TL;DR: The Joker is obsessed with Batman. He sees himself as the grind stone that keeps Batman sharp (as we're seeing in Snyder's run), and Batman is just a good ol' party to him

I think this affirms the idea because Joker has begun to feel that the Batman has lost what made Batman such a compelling opposite: the fact that Batman didn't have partners. There used to not be a Bat family. Batman didn't have anyone to turn to so he was always completely on edge, sharp. Joker probably thinks the other members of the Bat family are just wannabe stand-ins so that Batman can relax a bit. Joker doesn't want a relaxed opponent, that isn't any fun.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I think that applies more to the Riddler, but I do agree that Joker would feel alone without Batman and tries to keep things interesting for him.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I think this sums it up perfectly

The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wrote this some time ago..about how the New joker isn't the Joker...

First, I'm going to try to explain everything as a whole, pretend that there is no Pre and New 52.
    Brace yourselves, typos are coming.
    Old Joker: "It's all a joke! Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?...."
    New Joker: "SIT THE **** DOWN!"
    So..why so serious? What happened?
    The only thing I can think of: the New Batman doesn't want to play anymore, the old Bats was crazy, period, but this one is not that crazy anymore.
    Before the reboot, Joker and Batman were..equals, a crazy guy trying to save the world and a crazy guy trying to destroy it, and now..there's only the Superhero Vs Villian crap, so, what the hell Joker is gonna do? Crack..again.
    You see everything falling apart again, the only one who could ever "understand" you, doesn't care if you're dead or alive anymore, in fact, if you're dead, better.
    But he's not going to sit down and accept it...
    He plans, and plans and plans, and plans a way to win Batman's attention again...and then..
    The "Kill everyone else!" idea comes.
    Robins and Batman sidekicks... they're are the reason why Batman isn't the same anymore!, without them, Batman will think about the Joker 24/7 again! Perfect! right?
    Nope, the joke is getting out of hand, the next issue will be the "final" battle between Joker and Batman, and, really Batman is not the one who's going to die.
    And, really, Batman doesn't give a crap if he's dead anymore.

But, with the Reboot , that makes this whole wall of text useless, at least I tried. :P

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colonyofcells

Joker seems to be like a fundamentalist preacher who works very hard to make everyone realize the truth of chaos and this includes Batman who is addicted to the futile task of maintaining a irrationally desired order in chaotic universes.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

I wrote this some time ago..about how the New joker isn't the Joker...

First, I'm going to try to explain everything as a whole, pretend that there is no Pre and New 52.
    Brace yourselves, typos are coming.
    Old Joker: "It's all a joke! Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?...."
    New Joker: "SIT THE **** DOWN!"
    So..why so serious? What happened?
    The only thing I can think of: the New Batman doesn't want to play anymore, the old Bats was crazy, period, but this one is not that crazy anymore.
    Before the reboot, Joker and Batman were..equals, a crazy guy trying to save the world and a crazy guy trying to destroy it, and now..there's only the Superhero Vs Villian crap, so, what the hell Joker is gonna do? Crack..again.
    You see everything falling apart again, the only one who could ever "understand" you, doesn't care if you're dead or alive anymore, in fact, if you're dead, better.
    But he's not going to sit down and accept it...
    He plans, and plans and plans, and plans a way to win Batman's attention again...and then..
    The "Kill everyone else!" idea comes.
    Robins and Batman sidekicks... they're are the reason why Batman isn't the same anymore!, without them, Batman will think about the Joker 24/7 again! Perfect! right?
    Nope, the joke is getting out of hand, the next issue will be the "final" battle between Joker and Batman, and, really Batman is not the one who's going to die.
    And, really, Batman doesn't give a crap if he's dead anymore.

But, with the Reboot , that makes this whole wall of text useless, at least I tried. :P

I like this interpretation a lot.

The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Imagine_Man15: Thanks.

This is how I view their current relationship. weird, I know, lol.

tonygmilan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“Joker is a production of the madness that drives Batman to act as he does. Batman is a response to the madness that creates Joker....If the world knows that there are multiple joker's out there, they can embrace a batman. If they know there is a Batman out there, they can tolerate a Joker running around…They feed off of one another…”

“At the end of the game, when the cop catches him, they stop playing, each go home and spend their time thinking of the next game.”

“They can't be one without the other…”

“Joker can't be Joker if there isn't a Batman to joke.”

are you people seriously forgetting that batman became batman before he knew of the jokers existence, and that joker was also a criminal before he knew of batman's existence?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.