Follow

Joker

Character » Joker appears in 4241 issues.

The Joker, Clown Prince of Crime, is Batman's arch-nemesis. An agent of chaos known for his malicious plots, wacky gadgets and insidious smile, he has caused Batman more suffering than any other villain he has ever faced. His origin, name, and true motivations remain a mystery.

Does anyone believe that the Joker is truly insane?

• 125 results
    The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By The Enigma
    @lozer said:
    " @The Enigma said:
    " There is no doubt that Joker is insane, but I do believe that he overplays his insanity so as to create a justification for his actions (and avoid death). "
    Isn't that what Dick said once? I remember reading something where Dick was like "I think you just fake your insanity because if you weren't you'd be responsible for your actions" (<--- not right quote!) and Joker was all "STFU!"  But no that guy's crazy. "
    Oh, really? Do you remember where you read it?
    The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By The Dave

Heres an extract from the collector's edition of Batman:AA , patient notes about Joker...

The Joker

Psychological Profile 
    My most challenging patient at Arkham. the Joker's derangement defies easy classification. His rapidly changing mood swings hint at borderline personality disorder, but he has no trace of associated identity problems. He also displays signs of deep narcissism , but nonetheless he has a well-developed sense of others, as his ability to manipulate everyone from orderlies to doctors in Arkham is extraordinarily well-developed, he also shows all the signs of a highly functioning sufferer of antisocial personality disorder. At times I almost wonder if he is actually insane at all.
    (this underlined  part is highlighted with a marker pen)

Additional Notes
    His criminal record makes it clear that he is an unrepentant homicidal maniac.

He is extremely manipulative, the file detailing Harley Quinn's associations with him is fascinating reading. Its unfortunate I was not on staff at the time to witness his seduction of her firsthand.

His past is unknown, and his answers to my questions about it are wildly inconsistent and frequently fantastical 

Dr. Penelope Young

I feel I need to add this little note from Harley's profile too...
    The excessive and invasive psychological screening I had to undergo here at Arkham was largely due to her earlier fall from grace. At times I'm resentful of this; the mere idea that I would become inappropriately involved with the Joker or any other inmate is preposterous.

If you've played Arkham Asylum then Dr. Penelope Young may be a familiar name...

Basically, yeah he's definitely insane, but he has a lot more control over his insanity than most, maybe even completely. He does seem to enjoy his own persona.

As for those saying he does it to avoid jail or a death sentence. This simply cannot be true, as there was a story where he was accused of several murders (which he actually didn't commit amazingly) and he pleaded not guilty, since the murders were amateurish (his words). This gave the authorities the work-around to have him put to death because of his plea. Then, Batman being the incorruptible chap that he is, goes on to catch the real killer and gets the Joker released. Its possible he did this because he knew Bats would get him out, but Bats was the one that "caught" him over these same murders in the first place so I consider it unlikely.

comicguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#103  Edited By comicguy9

joker is incredebly insaneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#104  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Is the Pope Catholic?

spider-pig23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By spider-pig23
    @Edamame said:
    " "Insane" is a subjective term.  "
    Agreed. "Insane" can't be classified. The "insane" man doesn't consider himself  "insane." The "insane" man doesn't consider "insane" men insane. The "insane" man considers "stable" men "insane." But is the "insane" man "stable?" 
    Research "The Pink Monkey Experiment." Everything is subjective.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#107  Edited By Gylan Thomas

The Joker's not insane.
    Apparently he managed to play it straight for a while recently.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By hdorman1

he is super sane 
    his sanity is continually reevaluating and changing itself for every situation 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109  Edited By InnerVenom123

Joker's so insane that people question his insanity.

tbones337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By tbones337

The joker is not insane. His actions are a part of his belief that people do not need to follow the everyday rules we do. He believes you can kill just to kill and that the law is just a rule to be broken. His beliefe is that the rules are wrong. Now if a belief makes you insane then we are all mad.
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#111  Edited By sexy_merc

LOL at the view to post ratio.

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Fire-brand

anyone who frequently dresses in purple and green suits can't possibly be considered sane.

Kal-Koratto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Kal-Koratto

He's Super-Sane.

Avatar image for the_jokes_on_you
    The_Jokes_On_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Croaker:
    When did he try to talk to birds?
    The_Jokes_On_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MercenaryX said:
    "
    DarcStorm said:
    Deadpool, Joker, Green Goblin, and DarcStorm are the most insane people ever.
    Yes, those guys are insane also. I want a comic with Joker and Deadpool together just talking about anything, and breaking the 4th wall.. LOL "

You and me both dude. I would freaking love that. 

Anyway, a question to the people who say he is sane. So if he is sane yet he is still enjoys murdering masses and loving that he lacks morality then does that make him more of a monster?
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By karrob
    @The_Joker said:
    "

Of Course, he's not 'sane' like everyone else, but he's not 'insane,' either. He is 'super-sane' able to place himself objectively in whatever situation with the mindset of taking whatever role is most adventageous to his master plans.

"
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call him Insane s stop the Joker and explain what he is. 
    He is Pure Chaos, the representation that Random acts of injustice in the universe show that there is no justice in the universe for the same every system and goverment is a lie, the only way that thing have sense is in chaos.

sasarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#118  Edited By sasarai

I think the joker is completely insane.

The_Jokes_On_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized said:
    "The joker just needs a hug " 

DedmanWalkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By DedmanWalkin

The Joker is not insane, if you believe such then you were just fooled by one of the oldest tricks in the book. Malingering has been used as far back as Odysseus in the Odyssey.

Insane people do not hire expensive legal teams to make sure their insanity defense works. If the Joker is as insane as you think he is then the facts should speak for themselves and he would need no lawyers. The Joker's insanity defense is the perfect counter to the Bat's incorruptibility.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By ComicStooge

Joker is a complete nutter.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Enosisik

He's functionally insane.... Meaning that IF HE wanted to he could manage to be good if he truly wanted to be but his insanity has never really been in question. I'm pretty sure that Robin quote about him faking came from the cartoon but either way Robin knows that questioning Jokers insanity would um drive Joker insane since Joker gets such a kick out of it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#123  Edited By TDK_1997

He is truly insane and that is what makes him great and the perfect villain for Batman.

Ricky_Gervais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Ricky_Gervais

I think he is in too complete control of himself to be insane.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By YMCMB

Well in the real world he wouldn't be headed to Arkham Asylum everytime he gets locked up, he'd head straight to an electric chair. Typically for a successful insanity plea the guilty person has to be unable to tell the difference between right and wrong, Joker knows that what he's doing is wrong but he just doesn't care. So he's obviously not sane like most of us here, but I don't think that would save him from the death penalty, or at least life in a regular prison.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how old is this thread?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.