Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

"Zack Snyder’s Green Lantern will likely be JOHN STEWART"

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13

Zack Snyder’s Green Lantern will likely be John Stewart

BY CHRIS BEGLEY ON FEBRUARY 16TH, 2015 | @BATMANNEWSCOM

No Caption Provided

There’s been speculation among fans that the character John Diggle from the TV show Arrow is really John Stewart, aka the Green Lantern. Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim put an end to that speculation in a new interview with MTV:

“Basically, John Diggle is now a character in the comics… John Diggle is John Diggle. We’re not being coy and saying John Diggle is someone else, i.e. John Stewart. DC has other plans for that character.”

The “other plans” that Guggenheim is referring to is almost certainly Zack Snyder’s Justice League Part One, which will be released in November 2017. Based on his comments it sounds like Snyder will be using John Stewart, rather than Hal Jordan, as Green Lantern.

Speaking of John Stewart, singer-turned-actor Tyrese Gibson has been campaigning hard for the Green Lantern role. He even hinted that he had a meeting with Warner Bros. a few weeks ago.

How do you feel about John Steward being part of Zack Snyder’s DC Universe? Let me know in the comments below.

SOURCE:MTV (via Comic Book Movie)

http://batman-news.com/2015/02/16/zack-snyders-green-lantern-will-likely-john-stewart/

Also:

Green Lantern Movie Rumors: John Stewart Likely Earth’s Lantern And No It’s Not Diggle From Arrow

By Phillip Martinez

No Caption Provided

There’s still a lot of time before Warner Bros/DC Comics gets to its 2019 Green Lantern reboot movie, but in 2017 the Justice League movie will hit theaters and will supposedly feature the Green Lantern, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and other heroes.

There have been rumblings over which Green Lantern will be featured in the new DC movie universe; whether it’s going to be Hal Jordan or John Stewart. And some fans ofArrow have made parallels between the character John Diggle and Stewart.

Many rumors peg a big secret revealing that Diggle is actually Stewart in the DC television universe is in the works, especially after David Ramsey, the actor who plays Diggle, spoke about the possibility of Diggle being John Stewart, simply stating to comicbook.com“anything can happen.”

However, that’s not entirely true after Arrow Executive Producer, Marc Guggenheim spoke toMTV News about the show and debunking the rumors of Diggle’s “true” identity.

“I spoke to [writer] Geoff Johns at DC after that interview went viral. Basically, John Diggle is now a character in the comics… John Diggle is John Diggle. We’re not being coy and saying John Diggle is someone else, i.e. John Stewart. DC has other plans for that character.”

The last part of Guggenheim’s statement is key. He pretty much states that the larger DC Cinematic Universe will include John Stewart in its movies in some capacity. Whether that be as Green Lantern or a civilian, it’s still too early to know but there have been rumblings about John Stewart making his big screen debut over Hal Jordan after the flop Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern film was.

Tyrese Gibson has even hinted at a meeting with Warner Bros. about the role and has begun lobbying for the part. Again, the Justice League movie is a relatively long ways away from releasing in theaters but more news about the cinematic universe will come after Batman vs Superman debuts in 2016.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/green-lantern-movie-rumors-john-stewart-likely-earths-lantern-and-no-its-not-diggle-414974

--

I have a feeling that Green Lantern casting will be settled soon, and I am rooting for John Stewart to come out on top as WB's central Green Lantern.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the shares! AWESOME news if true.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nice.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hal Jordan for me. I've already heard to many things that make me lose interest in DC movies. They need to stop disappointing me if they want me to bother watching their movies.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zaied

I personally don't care which Lantern they go with (I want to see all of them), but the reaction to this would be hilarious to watch on here.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wait, so DC is gonna have a movie with TWO black guys? This is unheard of!

But it is also just a rumor so.....

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I wouldn't mind John Stewart for the JL movies, but in the GL movie(s) I'd like them to bring in the others, maybe mention Hal is the first, but he mostly does space stuff

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Bring on John Stewart. He's my favorite superhero!

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: it wouldn't really effect them if they risked one person not watching their films.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@dernman: it wouldn't really effect them if they risked one person not watching their films.

LOL

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@captain13: i'd take anyone over hal , so happy bout this

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mysoulz said:

@kfabz-23 said:

LOL

You're made the wrong assumption about what I said and you know what they say about when you assume. Nevertheless my statement stands.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain13

Here's another, more well-reasoned article published by screen rant:

Will ‘Green Lantern’ John Stewart Star In the ‘Justice League’ Movie Universe?

Published ... by Andrew Dyce

No Caption Provided

We may be living in a golden age of wish fulfilment and dreams come true for comic book fans, but as good as the present may be, the die-hard enthusiasts (and corporate entities profiting off of them) can’t help but look to the future. In a similar sense, the wealth of superheroes and properties on their way to the big and small screens can’t help but single out those who aren’t: Green Lantern chief among them.

With the first series turning out to be a false start, some problem solving for Warner Bros. and DC Comics was unavoidable. But few would have predicted just how un-eager the studio was to re-imagine, re-cast, and reboot the series in 2020 – years after the Justice League‘s big screen debut. Now an unlikely source has hinted that the studio may be putting a plan together already – potentially turning to John Stewart as their next live-action Lantern.

New 'Gotham' Trailer Reveals The Joker's ArrivalJ.J. Abrams Addresses the 'Star Wars 7' Lightsaber ControversyNew Trailer For 'Nightwing: The Series'10 Biggest Movie Mistakes of Recent Memory

After years of fans trying to forget the film series that could have been, and relying only on animated versions of the hero, Green Lantern has recently returned to the headlines. First it was Tyrese Gibson (Fast & Furious 7) kicking off his own campaign to play the hero, followed soon after by Arrow‘s David Ramsey confirming that his ‘John Diggle’ character was being discussed as a potential John Stewart in the making (as one fan theory has long suggested).

No Caption Provided

Unfortunately for those who hoped to see Diggle adopt an emerald ring, Arrowexecutive producer Marc Guggenheim told MTV News that a Green Lantern reveal was certainly not the plan going forward:

“It’s funny, I’ve spoken to David quite a bit about this issue, I know it keeps coming up… I spoke to Geoff Johns at DC after that interview went viral. Basically, John Diggle is now a character in the comics… John Diggle is John Diggle. We’re not being coy and saying John Diggle is someone else, i.e. John Stewart.

“DC has other plans for that character. We love David, and we love the character of John Diggle that he’s created. We have really cool plans for him… they involve a wedding ring, but they don’t involve a power ring.”

Guggenheim’s clarification will no doubt disappoint those who feel that Ramsey’s military-man turned crimefighter deserves a spotlight of his own, but being immortalized in the “Green Arrow” comic universe is no small consolation. However, the reasons – or, reason – given by Guggenheim for the lack of a power ring in Diggle’s future could prove extremely telling.

John Stewart is Already a Star

No Caption Provided

John Stewart may have been seen by many as a supporting character to Hal Jordan in DC’s published comics, but that’s far from the case in the animated universe. Ask any DC fan under the age of 25, and it’s Stewart they’ll first connect to the ‘Green Lantern’ moniker thanks to Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. It’s for that exact reason that John Stewart was a central figure in director George Miller’s eventually-cancelled Justice League Mortal (to be played by Common).

Hal Jordan has since returned to the spotlight in DC’s shared animated universe(influenced by, and expected to drive sales of DC’s New 52 catalogue), Ryan Reynolds has already taken a failed crack at the character on the big screen, and now one of the minds behind DC’s TV universe claims that a new “plan” for John Stewart is in the works – and it’s not difficult to make some predictions.

We would remind skeptics that a similar situation arose when Arrow executive producer Andrew Kreisberg shot down hopes of seeing Harley Quinn on the show’s own version of the Suicide Squad., stating that it had been discussed with DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, but ruled out since DC Comics “had other plans for her.” We speculated that those words implied a Suicide Squad film moving forward, and we know how that story ended.

No Caption Provided

Now, another producer cites mysterious (but apparently even more concrete) plans for John Stewart that rule him out for any incarnation on TV. Yet that implication isn’t much of a surprise, as many fans (ourselves included) have seen the introduction of Stewart as a means to cast aside the issues with Green Lantern (2011), while adding further diversity to an already varied Justice League roster.

And, if we’re honest, introducing a Green Lantern that could prove a far more compelling ensemble cast member than Hal Jordan’s fearless fighter pilot.

Why John Stewart Could Be An Improvement

No Caption Provided

Even if Ryan Reynolds was on board with returning to the role (which he isn’t), there’s no denying that his origin story is one moviegoers are all too familiar with. Ordinary man with great potential is inducted into a war far beyond his understanding, and rises to become one of its more accomplished soldiers. If that wasn’t already a well-established tale in comic book/science fiction/fantasy filmmaking, Marvel’s parade of superhero origin stories has seen to it by now.

Though a John Stewart-led Green Lantern film would likely keep many of those elements intact, the character comes with qualities and history that give the right writer/director team much more to work with. With the character’s 1971 introduction set against the backdrop of racial tension in America – Stewart an engineer from Detroit, Michigan – the intervening years haven’t shied away from that subject matter, though John’s origin was changed from an engineer to a former United States Marine.

Whether an academic or a serviceman, Hal Jordan has conceded that John was shaped by forces and events he never had to face, resulting in a man – and Green Lantern – whose sheer force of will has proven too much for even his ring to handle.

No Caption Provided

]Beyond that, there’s something to be said for adding a level-headed, morally upstanding military man to the Justice League (as opposed to a fast-talking quipper). With Superman an alien farmboy, Wonder Woman a godlike princess, Aquaman an exiled(?) king, Cyborg a traumatized youth, and Batman a good old-fashioned vigilante, who wouldn’t want to see what a battle-hardened military veteran would have to say about the purpose and methods of a potential ‘Justice League’?

The Evidence Thus Far

No Caption Provided

We needn’t make the case that DC and Warner Bros. would be wise to add Stewart in place of Jordan (for now, at least), since there is evidence that the studio is already sharing the same idea. Besides having already cast John Stewart for one Justice League movie, rumors of Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson being up for the role in the now-revealed movie universe circled for some time. Johnson would eventually be cast as Black Adam in Shazam, but in revealing his ultimate casting, confirmed that a role as John Stewart had been discussed:

“DC and I have been talking for a couple of years now, trying to find whatever the right character is… It’s not Green Lantern, by the way. Believe me, John Stewart was a character that I wanted to play, but there was already a version of Green Lantern, so now we’ve gone in a different direction.”

That different direction proved to be Shazam‘s chief antagonist – or if you go by Johnson’s description, a charming anti-hero – which means his words concerning Green Lantern can be taken a number of ways. On the one hand, his mass appeal and likable presence is best served boosting a less-established hero, creating a popular villain in the process. On the other, Warner Bros. is in no hurry to set their GL plans in stone.

No Caption Provided

If it’s time they need, then time they have. But even if a solo Green Lantern film isn’t scheduled until 2020 (all dates subject to change), the studio may choose to add the hero beforehand (since solo movies after team-ups looks to be a part of the plan). We’ve laid out one theory on how Green Lantern could usher in the villain for Justice League Part 2, but if the first films in WB’s shared universe earn praise from critics or fans, then doors will open far enough ahead to be made use of.

How Hal Jordan Could Fit Into The Universe

No Caption Provided

It’s a potentially dangerous question, but one worth asking: would Ryan Reynolds be willing to reprise his role as Hal Jordan in the second Justice League film if it meant his character was sacrificed, retroactively improving the poor taste his origin film left in fans’ mouths? It’s a bold move to kill Hal Jordan (though the comics have done the same, and resurrected him later), but the move would open the door to John Stewart’s introduction within the same timeline or film – and prime audiences for his own origin story a year later.

As one of DC’s few legacy heroes (titles handed from one generation to the next) that doesn’t require decades to pass before switching leads, showing the Green Lantern brand to be bigger than one character or actor could prove useful. Especially if DC plans to invest in the long term, and lay groundwork for Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner in the future.

No Caption Provided

We’ll keep you updated if and when more details on WB and DC’s plans for Stewart, Jordan, or any other live-action incarnation of Green Lantern arises. For now, let us know what you think of Guggenheim’s comments (and our own hopes and theories for the film franchise) in the comments below.

Green Lantern is scheduled to release on June 19, 2020.

http://screenrant.com/green-lantern-movie-john-stewart-justice-league/

It's also worth noting that John Stewart just got a new, more streamlined origin in Secret Origins #12, and that origin doesn't involve Hal Jordan at all.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Given that the most official source of information involves Zack Snyder stating that he'd prefer to work with Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern of the DCCU, I think that beats the speculative and fabricated rumours the Johns Stewart fanbase are mostly basing their assumptions on. Hal's still a top choice and has other appeals and draws that John Stewart does not. Moreover, with the black hero already cast, Stewart being the GL is much less likely to happen at all.

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see John getting so much love in so many different places! I will have to check out this new origin of his that keeps getting referenced, because it looks like the stars are aligning for John again. :)

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Screen Rant actually posted a scan of John Stewart punching Hal Jordan just to prove a point?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I woulda preferred Kyle....though what are the odds they woulda actually cast a Mexican as him

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: Lol, all of those images are from the article, and I didn't even notice that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Given that the most official source of information involves Zack Snyder stating that he'd prefer to work with Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern of the DCCU, I think that beats the speculative and fabricated rumours the Johns Stewart fanbase are mostly basing their assumptions on. Hal's still a top choice and has other appeals and draws that John Stewart does not. Moreover, with the black hero already cast, Stewart being the GL is much less likely to happen at all.

It's 2015, man. Get with the program. Acting like there must only be one Black person is racist. There are plenty of reasons to use John Stewart that don't have anything to do with the color of his skin, such as distancing the franchise from the 2011 bomb of a film. Also, it's not "the John Stewart fanbase" posting these articles. They come from highly respected news and information sites. And nothing is fabricated. People just took what Guggenheim said to the logical conclusion given the circumstances of everything. It sounds like you're just grasping for some sliver of hope for Hal Jordan. Don't worry, I'm sure there will be other White heroes to indulge in.

Also, where has Snyder said he'd rather work with Hal Jordan? Please post the source for that.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

@desh said:

@lvenger said:

It's 2015, man. Get with the program. Acting like there must only be one Black person is racist. There are plenty of reasons to use John Stewart that don't have anything to do with the color of his skin, such as distancing the franchise from the 2011 bomb of a film. Also, it's not "the John Stewart fanbase" posting these articles. They come from highly respected news and information sites. And nothing is fabricated. People just took what Guggenheim said to the logical conclusion given the circumstances of everything. It sounds like you're just grasping for some sliver of hope for Hal Jordan. Don't worry, I'm sure there will be other White heroes to indulge in.

Also, where has Snyder said he'd rather work with Hal Jordan? Please post the source for that.

Wow that is just both cringeworthy, embarrassing and utterly laughable that your go-to argument for anyone who disagrees with you is to call them racist. What a way to conduct yourself, you must annoy a lot of people with that self entitled attitude. You're grinding my gears significantly already and I've seen your deluded preaching excuse for a blog too.

Besides, it's not me who's being racist (and where was I even being racist in the first place?), it would be Warner Bros who you should direct your complaints at. In keeping with the New 52 relaunch, making Cyborg the token black guy (which I dislike by the way, Cyborg is a very interesting and complex character and deserves to stay on the Titans) means that the likelihood of John Stewart being the GL drops in probability significantly. I've seen your sources and at best they're invented fabrications and wishful thinking where washed up actors like Tyrese Gibson or no name actors are seen at Warner Bros. Without a shred of credible proof that they're in connection with John Stewart role.

Moreover, considering that Guggenheim came out and said "John Diggle is not John Stewart" I'd say fans were inventing a false role for John Diggle's character to be something that he's not. Not to mention that it seems like you're deluding yourself into thinking only your precious John Stewart can play the part of Green Lantern in the Justice League film. Don't worry, there's always reruns of Bruce Timm's Justice League, the only place where John Stewart isn't a boring excuse for a main character for you to indulge in your fantasies where John Stewart is the one and true GL. Honestly you give John Stewart fans an awful and terrible name, not something to be proud of at all spouting the same kind of ignorance, bigotry and hatred you claim John suffers from. You know Hal and John are, you know, friends and trusted colleagues in the comics right? Yet you inflame the passions and anger of respectable and angry Hal Jordan fans with your "self appointed messiah" complex about what John Stewart should be. Christ get a grip of yourself Desh.

And here's the source: http://www.blogofoa.com/2015/01/more-green-lantern-movie-rumors-surface.html

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mysoulz

@captain13 said:

@mysoulz: Lol, all of those images are from the article, and I didn't even notice that.

A popular site such as Screen Rant using a scan of John punching Hal Jordan wasn't needed. All it does is anger other Hal Jordan fans and attack fans of John Stewart.

@desh said:
    @lvenger said:

I think what @lvenger is saying is DC may stick to the "one black" guy quota filler rule on the roster. And also, don't take his comments the wrong way. He has said many positive things about John Stewart in the past, including Van Jensen's run on how he's done a solid job on improving John Stewart's character. Even going out of his way saying he could get behind a John Stewart role if done right; only if he's not chosen for the sake of diversity, which I 100% agree with.

The problem is in general both fans attacks each other (which I've experienced in the past with Hal fans as well) in arguments. The way I see it is that both factions takes it out on these characters, which even @zeeguy91 admitted that he has problems with John Stewart, because of the fans.

That's just my perspective so far.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Desh

@lvenger said:

@desh said:

@lvenger said:

Wow that is just both cringeworthy, embarrassing and utterly laughable that your go-to argument for anyone who disagrees with you is to call them racist. What a way to conduct yourself, you must annoy a lot of people with that self entitled attitude. You're grinding my gears significantly already and I've seen your deluded preaching excuse for a blog too.

Besides, it's not me who's being racist (and where was I even being racist in the first place?), it would be Warner Bros who you should direct your complaints at. In keeping with the New 52 relaunch, making Cyborg the token black guy (which I dislike by the way, Cyborg is a very interesting and complex character and deserves to stay on the Titans) means that the likelihood of John Stewart being the GL drops in probability significantly. I've seen your sources and at best they're invented fabrications and wishful thinking where washed up actors like Tyrese Gibson or no name actors are seen at Warner Bros. Without a shred of credible proof that they're in connection with John Stewart role.

Moreover, considering that Guggenheim came out and said "John Diggle is not John Stewart" I'd say fans were inventing a false role for John Diggle's character to be something that he's not. Not to mention that it seems like you're deluding yourself into thinking only your precious John Stewart can play the part of Green Lantern in the Justice League film. Don't worry, there's always reruns of Bruce Timm's Justice League, the only place where John Stewart isn't a boring excuse for a main character for you to indulge in your fantasies where John Stewart is the one and true GL. Honestly you give John Stewart fans an awful and terrible name, not something to be proud of at all spouting the same kind of ignorance, bigotry and hatred you claim John suffers from. You know Hal and John are, you know, friends and trusted colleagues in the comics right? Yet you inflame the passions and anger of respectable and angry Hal Jordan fans with your "self appointed messiah" complex about what John Stewart should be. Christ get a grip of yourself Desh.

And here's the source: http://www.blogofoa.com/2015/01/more-green-lantern-movie-rumors-surface.html

Such anger...

My go to argument for people who act racist and spew racist notions is to call them racist. WB has never said there must only be one Black person. You are the one implying that. Cyborg and John Stewart have nothing to do with each other. There is no overlap to them at all. You're the one drawing the racial connection, which is very superficial. My "preaching excuse for a blog?" How classy of you. Well, thanks for reading. It seems my legend is spreading.

Okay, so let's go over my deluded sources. If I am deluded, apparently so are all these other websites:

Cinemablend.Com

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-John-Diggle-Really-Green-Lantern-Here-What-Showrunner-Has-Say-70102.html

Batman-News (the article posted above)

Screenrant (the article posted above)

iDigitalTimes:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/green-lantern-movie-rumors-john-stewart-likely-earths-lantern-and-no-its-not-diggle-414974

All these deluded sites, my god. How could they all possibly be coming to the same deluded conclusions? Maybe... just maybe... because they're the logical conclusions to come to. And when Tyrese Gibson, a legitimate star, posts an image of the WB Studios with a hashtag that says #greenlanternmission... he's obviously implying something. Especially after posting numerous pictures of himself as the Green Lantern.

This is not delusion, I'm afraid. Rather, you're in denial, which is hilarious to see, because it is HUGE denial. There are all these clear developments that everyone else is picking up on all around the internet, and because of your bias, you refuse acknowledge them and insult those who do. You're ridiculous, but I admit it is fun to watch you squirm as all this John Stewart news and support continues coming in.

Also, you just lost whatever small iota of credibility you may have had when you post a fansite with no official source of its own as your source. Again, ridiculous and disappointing.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Captain13

@desh: If people are coming here to complain, they may not be as confidant as they want to seem. That alone means they are not worth arguing with. Thanks for keeping your cool and remaining rational. And thanks for sharing the other links with the same potentially exciting news.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.