Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1832 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Why Does John Keep Killing Other Green Lanterns?

Avatar image for craig_lovecraft
    Craig Lovecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Craig Lovecraft

I know he had good reasons for doing it, but why do they keep resorting to having John kill off other Green Lanterns? First he killed Mogo and recently he took the life of another lantern. Do you guys feel this trend is going to continue? Is John going to become the guy who takes out other Lanterns just so that no one else has to get their hands dirty?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

ummmm.....no.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

Because he is the one that does what must be done and can take the consequences.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Kallarkz:  

Because he is the one that does what must be done and can take the consequences.

That is the case most of the time..but if you read the latest GLC, he could have easily silenced that Green Lantern who was about to blab by knocking him out, he didn't have to KILL him, it was overrating if you ask me.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman
    @The Stegman: Knocking him out would have been insufficient. They had no way of knowing if or when help would arrive. So when the GL awoke he would not only give the info to them but John would have lost his chance to silence him.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Dernman: Yeah, but John mustered up enough strength to escape moments later, who's to say he couldn't have knocked him out, then escaped?? Help didn't arrive until he had already flown a good distance away.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman
    @The Stegman: But John didn't know he was going to have a chance to escape until it was given or the fact that the escape would have worked out. So he couldn't have passed up that chance.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Dernman: Still, If i were him, I would have taken the chance that the escape could work, I would have knocked the dude out before he could say anything and at least try to escape before out and out killing him....that's just me of course
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Kallarkz said:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

He was on the front line and knows what it is like to kill someone first hand. He does what needs to be done and does what is best for the Corps. He is willing to make the sacrifices and hard decisions.

@The Stegman: If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @DEGRAAF:  

@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.
    Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:

@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

Bad analogy, in that scenario there's only two options, drop the person or die, in the GLC scenario there's three, let the person spill the beans and destroy the corps, stop the person by killing him, or stop the person by shutting him up, aka, knocking him out.

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @royale_with_cheese:  

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:

@The Stegman : If you were rock climbing with some people and the bottom guy fell pulling you all down with him, the rope holds at first but is starting to tear. You have help on the way, are you willing to risk your life and the life of others on the rope waiting for the escape or are you going to cut the bottom person off ensuring the rest on the line will live to see another day?

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else. 

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well
    Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:

I think the dire situation that John and his fellow Green Lanterns were put in, only allowed that one chance of action; let his comrade spill the beans and endanger the policing force of the universe, or, as people have put it, do what had to to be done. As a former member of the marine corp, John, more so than any of the human green lanterns, knows that the symbolism of what he is apart of, precedes all else.

I just gave another another chance of action that would have worked equally as well

No, not really. First of, Kirrt's will was completely broken (that much was obvious), and had he been knocked out instead of killed, that would have only delayed his inevitable betrayal. From John's point of view, he was willing to die for the corp, and was ready to do so in this given instance. He wasn't certain whether the cavalry were coming to rescue them or not, nor was he certain whether or not he and his fellow captured lanterns would survive the torture. If anything, his final discharge from his was his way of saying "I'm not going down without a fight", as opposed to an actual escape plan.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF

@royale_with_cheese said:

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:

No, not really. First of, Kirrt's will was completely broken (that much was obvious), and had he been knocked out instead of killed, that would have only delayed his inevitable betrayal. From John's point of view, he was willing to die for the corp, and was ready to do so in this given instance. He wasn't certain whether the cavalry were coming to rescue them or not, nor was he certain whether or not he and his fellow captured lanterns would survive the torture. If anything, his final discharge from his was his way of saying "I'm not going down without a fight", as opposed to an actual escape plan.

lol i'll just apologize now, it seems that i dont know what we are talking about. I thought John was in a life or death situation against another corps member. I agree with @The Stegman: I dont know the exact situation of what is going on but if he was just trying to stop another corps member about speaking the truth that throws a bigger question imo in to the fold. Johns could have knocked out the other corps member and restrained him if necessary. I seem to need to pick this issue up.

I Think the big question is why is John hiding the truth, he has always been about doing what was right. He has had issues with the guardians before about them keeping secrets im surprised he didnt side with the corpsman that knew the truth. Again i dont know the full going ons of the story tho.

Can someone please fill me in on what the secret was

Avatar image for greenflashlight
    Greenflashlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Greenflashlight

I hope that John does not kill a fellow lantern ever few issues, but when you look at his history he has always done what needs to be done, yes he has killed people and planets but it was always necessary at the time then every thing works out in the end and you get this feeling like well was it really necessary? I love the Green Lantern books but I do not want a Green Lantern killing other Lanterns every other book. The next time a Green Lantern has to kill a fellow GL I want Kyle to be the one to do the deed

Steps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Steps

@DEGRAAF said:

@royale_with_cheese said:

@The Stegman said:

@royale_with_cheese:

@The Stegman said:

@DEGRAAF:

lol i'll just apologize now, it seems that i dont know what we are talking about. I thought John was in a life or death situation against another corps member. I agree with @The Stegman: I dont know the exact situation of what is going on but if he was just trying to stop another corps member about speaking the truth that throws a bigger question imo in to the fold. Johns could have knocked out the other corps member and restrained him if necessary. I seem to need to pick this issue up.

I Think the big question is why is John hiding the truth, he has always been about doing what was right. He has had issues with the guardians before about them keeping secrets im surprised he didnt side with the corpsman that knew the truth. Again i dont know the full going ons of the story tho.

Can someone please fill me in on what the secret was

He wasn't hiding the truth, he was about to tell the truth when the other lantern he was with during that torture session the one that didn't break stopped him and didn't mention to the reinforcements about what John did.

Now I agree with royale, yes John could have knocked the guy out and tried the escape but what's to stop those torturing them from knocking John out should he fail the escape, if John was knocked out or killed for trying to escape when the other lantern wakes up who'll be there to stop him from spilling the beans.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Steps said:

He wasn't hiding the truth, he was about to tell the truth when the other lantern he was with during that torture session the one that didn't break stopped him and didn't mention to the reinforcements about what John did.

Now I agree with royale, yes John could have knocked the guy out and tried the escape but what's to stop those torturing them from knocking John out should he fail the escape, if John was knocked out or killed for trying to escape when the other lantern wakes up who'll be there to stop him from spilling the beans.

wait wait wait.....

From what i understood about the situation before you posted this, John Stewart killed a fellow Corps member bc the corps member was going to reveal the truth about the corps.

Now it sounds like

A.) John Stewart was the one with the knowledge of the truth and he killed the other Corps member to save himself while both of them were being tortured

or

B.) They were being tortured, both knew a secret about the corps and the other member cracked from the torture and Johns killed him before he could reveal the secret

Steps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Steps

@DEGRAAF said:

@Steps said:

wait wait wait.....

From what i understood about the situation before you posted this, John Stewart killed a fellow Corps member bc the corps member was going to reveal the truth about the corps.

Now it sounds like

A.) John Stewart was the one with the knowledge of the truth and he killed the other Corps member to save himself while both of them were being tortured

or

B.) They were being tortured, both knew a secret about the corps and the other member cracked from the torture and Johns killed him before he could reveal the secret

There were more than two I think four or five. By the end of the torture session three remained John, another lantern and John's victim. The GL that was killed by John was about to spill the beans on the secret before John killed him, after killing him which I also think helped in his escape (giving him more reason to escape more will to escape because he didn't want that GL he killed to have his death be in vain) John was able to break free from his captors which a few panels later encountered the GL reinforcements. John was about to tell Guy what he did before the third lantern the one that broke free along with John cut him off and redirected the conversation. IIRC it wasn't really a secret more like the navigation codes or something similar to Oa which was the target of the antagonists in this arc and seeing as how these antagonist (to avoid spoiling much) are almost completely resistant to the will constructs of the GL's they could have very well conquered Oa given the chance or that was probably what John was thinking I was thinking that too.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DEGRAAF

@Steps: lol oh, thanks. In that case i change sides yet again and stand with my first claim, He knew it needed to be done and knew what needed to be sacrificed for the betterment of the corps

master_wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By master_wright

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

@master_wright said:

A better question is why do the writers focus on John as just a solider do they ever illustrate him as the Master Builder, The first and only human to offered Guardianship, the guy who ahd the brains to turn down being an Alpha Lantern because he kew to question the Guardians, all that considered I feel like John is being misused but as long as the popularity order goes HAl (why just what is so ... nevermind not the place for that) Guy, Kyle, Various Corps members Sinestro and then John we'll rarely see him in personal light or doing anything other than killing. In terms of the story Mogo had to go what as he gonna do to a planet what Hope away the problem. Ask this what would Kyle have done, GUY? Hal? None of them have what it takes to handle real problems they have cracked under pressure time and time again but JOhn has the courage to amke horrible actions that he acknowlegdes as necessary but he still feels bad about them. I do agree I hope they expand his character John Stewart is one of the richest characters in DC's whole universe he is different in every possible way.

They hold him back outta fear of him becoming more popular than Hal Jordan.Because we all know how great the GL movie was right.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VampireSelektor

@master_wright said:

All of this.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@daredevil21134 said:

@master_wright said:

They hold him back outta fear of him becoming more popular than Hal Jordan.Because we all know how great the GL movie was right.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Superdork

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@master_wright said:

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i agree with superdork's statement.

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cassiuss

Good question i think thats something the average person counldnt even truthfully answer until they were actually in that situation.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheThe

Because the writers want him to do the dirty work that must be done, in order for Kyle, Guy and Hal reputation to be safe.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kallarkz

Kyle i could see. but you think hal and guy have a good reputation??

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Twentyfive

You know what? Green Lantern rings don't kill people. BLACK MOFOS with Green Lantern rings kill people.

Cool points if you know what I'm referencing.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheThe

Guy Gardner is known for his bad behaviour, he pisses people, but he is not known for being a mass killer. He's more like a rebel man. Hal, everybody knows in a way, the "bad" things he has done in the past are not really his "fault". You know, like the Parallax thing, he was possessed. John is the only one taking charge of bad stuff on himself, the real John. So he's not the cool guy Kyle is, he's not the "excuses" guy Hal is, and he's not the "i'm a bad ass but i dont really do bad things cause inside i'm soft " Gardner is. The bad stuff John does, it is on him, always. No reputation, no excuses.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By htb106

John honestly didn't need to kill him, if he knocked him out he could've had the job done.

Some people are saying that the corps will now excecute him and he'll be replaced by this new Green Lantern.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#32  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think in reference to killing Mogo, the writers were going for a dramatic moments after a strong series of dramatic moments and somewhat jumped the shark. In reference to the second, I think the writers thought it would be a good idea to have another court trial in comics story arc (which have generally been pretty uninteresting)

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheThe

@htb106 said:

Some people are saying that the corps will now excecute him and he'll be replaced by this new Green Lantern.

I wont be surprised. DC never cared about him, they never gave a chance to John Stewart character. They treat him like a sidekick to the three other GL. Good for DC to replace a character they treated like garbage with another character from ethnic minority ...So progressive. For my part, if this happen, that would be the end between my money and DC comics. You cant treat a character like shit and get rid of him with that shameless ways.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DarthShap

Why? Bad writing to introduce a Justice League "In Blackest Night" ripoff.

I liked Tomasi's previous GLC/GLEW runs but this one really is not as good. It is even stupid at times, like with the whole Hiroshima/Nagasaki comparison.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheThe

That Guy Gardner speech was just awful, i dont know how they can allow writers to print such stupid things. I'm starting to get very angry with GLC run.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheThe

@htb106 said:

John honestly didn't need to kill him, if he knocked him out he could've had the job done.

I understand what you are saying. I didnt buy it, it was so forced from the writer. I was upset with the fact that Guy killing prisonners is not a big deal for the corps, and in the other hand Tomasi forces John to do something which wasnt needed. I think like i said earlier, they wantJohn to remain the least popular member, the one nobody loves because he's always doing bad things. Gardner is the hero, John a sidekick, so they have to fill the plot.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By jrock85

I think its just a really poor attempt at making him a compelling character. The irony of the situation is that he killed a fellow lantern to protect the corps while the Guardians are planning on destroying and replacing them anyway.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More killing lanterns?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SodamYat

The OP answered his own question. He did it cause it had to be done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.