Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1824 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Why Does DC Hate John Stewart? And Why Won't They Put Him In JL?

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rich711: I guess you've never heard of an unreliable narrator. Obviously the future writers will ignore Johns' pathetic attempt to pigeonhole them.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711 said:

Just read GL #20. John Steward may as well have kept his ring finger up his ass, while Hal Jordan raises the dead, literally to save the day. Hal turns death itself, Nekron, into his bitch, while John Stewart gives play by play commentary of Hal's awesomeness. In the end it admits John Stewart is more know for his work as a U.S. Senator than his time in the GL Corp. So, to some things up, John Stewart not only is not up to par with Hal Jordan, he isnt even up to par with Joe Biden. Any one that "hates" John Stewart hates him for being a boring shadow of the man that Hal Jordan is. Boo-Hoo, deal with it. Hal Jordon is Frank Sinatra, John Stewart is Carlton Banks.

That just sounds straight up racist

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

In terms of views and posts, this thread has exceeded my expectations.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: There's a lot of blatant racism on the internet. It's pretty depressing.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Jnr6Lil
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

@jnr6lil: There's a lot of blatant racism on the internet. It's pretty depressing.

now dont go getting all depressed over Rich711. he's just a troll

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just happy he is going to finally headline his own title. Hopefully John Stewart's Golden Age is upon us. I wouldn't be surprised if DC editorial deliberately sabotages the book though.

He is?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superdork said:

I'm just happy he is going to finally headline his own title. Hopefully John Stewart's Golden Age is upon us. I wouldn't be surprised if DC editorial deliberately sabotages the book though.

He is?

Green Lantern Corps will star John as of issue 21

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines said:

@superdork said:

He is?

Green Lantern Corps will star John as of issue 21

NICE!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Let's see if with this new phase in the life of John, the fans stop complaining, because it's the only thing I see them doing...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People tend to see racism where there is none .. because they only see what they want.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By Rich711

@rich711: I guess you've never heard of an unreliable narrator. Obviously the future writers will ignore Johns' pathetic attempt to pigeonhole them.

HA! Yeah, by future writers I assume you mean your personal John Stewart erotic fan-fiction. Because that is the only place where people will be re-conning Geoff Johns' GL run to make John Stewart's participation for the last 10 years of storylines look less useless. Clearly, your imagination is a far more reliable narrator than Geoff Johns. It's a comic book, it's been written, he was useless. No one hates him they just see that he clearly sucks as a GL for the last 10 years.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#214  Edited By Captain13

@novi_homines: June 12th, the same week as Superman: Unchained, Batman: The Zero Year, and the release of Man of Steel, so start saving your money! The only way it could be more perfect is if Wonder Woman were also released that week, lol

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Rich711

@jnr6lil said:

Typical answer from a John Stewart fanboy. Yeah, John Stewart's character sucks compared to Hal and the only possible explanation is racism.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines: June 12th, the same week as Superman: Unchained, Batman: The Zero Year, and the release of Man of Steel, so start saving your money! The only way it could be more perfect is if Wonder Woman were also released that week, lol

I can't wait!!!!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By novi_homines

@captain13 said:

I can't wait!!!!

THIS!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By novi_homines

I have an interesting story regarding this topic. This is a 100% true story by the way.

Earlier today I was at a friends house playing smash bros. brawl with alot of my friends. Who were all white on this occasion. We started talking about everything from the Xbox One, to Lord of The Rings. And eventually we started talking about comic book movies. The Green Lantern movie came up, and everyone agreed that it was a disappointment. My friends don't follow comics, so they said something I found interesting. They said (and i'm being completely honest here), that not having the proper black green lantern is the reason why the film failed.They didn't even realize that there was also white green lantern. I corrected them that there is indeed a white green lantern. Some had memories jogged, and remembered that there were other Green Lanterns. But they all still harped on how they should've went with the most famous one. I must admit, I was surprised by those statements. Simply because these statements are not commonplace within the comic book community. But since they don't follow comics, how else are they even supposed to know/ remember that Hal Jordan even exists? Especially back then before the film released. This brings me to my next point.

I thought about this and realized as far as the general audience is concerned, John Stewart at that time, and in some ways in the present, is the most popular green lantern. It was one of the most popular animated tv shows on tv at the time. And John Stewart playing one of the lead roles, its not really a surprise. 5 seasons, with extremely high ratings simply outshines Hal Jordan at that time. An argument could probably, and most likely, be made that the total viewers of the entire show (where John was front and center), surpasses the total amounts of Hal Jordan centric comic books during that same time span. Making John have a higher level of exposure to more people, thus being more popular at the time. I would like to see these numbers in comparison.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only possible way that the John Stewart character can be redeemed from the wallowing swamp of boring comic book characters is if DC decides Ryan Renolds soiled the image of Hal Jordan so badly that they cast Idris Elba as Green Lantern in the Justice League movie in hopes of repairing the damage that horrible Green Lantern movie did to the possibility of a Green Lantern movie franchise.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By novi_homines

@rich711 said:

The only possible way that the John Stewart character can be redeemed from the wallowing swamp of boring comic book characters is if DC decides Ryan Renolds soiled the image of Hal Jordan so badly that they cast Idris Elba as Green Lantern in the Justice League movie in hopes of repairing the damage that horrible Green Lantern movie did to the possibility of a Green Lantern movie franchise.

Why do you consistently post in this thread? You're not a fan, and you've clearly proved that you dislike the character. Why put so much effort into hating something?

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711 said:

@novi_homines: You sure do love to use the word hate inappropriately. If you intended this to be the "John Stewart Dick Riders" thread you should have named it such. If you don't like what I am saying ignore it instead of whining about it. But then again your whole argument about JS not being in JL is one big whine.

3. Dick Rider
    A dick rider is a person who is usually and overzealous mindless fan of anyone. A dick rider see's no flaw in whatever they are dick riding at the time, and if you happen to offer an opinion or simply not like whatever a dick rider likes, the dick rider will consider your a "hater" for offering your opinion.

If you think i'm going to give you the time of day, you are sadly mistaken.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Rich711
    @novi_homines said:

HA!! ...um, you just did. Okay, "Novus Homo" I will leave you alone since you clearly are not very bright.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rich711 said:

@jnr6lil said:

Typical answer from a John Stewart fanboy. Yeah, John Stewart's character sucks compared to Hal and the only possible explanation is racism.

People tend to see racism where there is none .. because they only see what they want.

You just ignore dthe fact that Rich just called John, Carlton Banks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@matchesmalone21: So what logic is there in calling Hal Jordan Frank Sinatra & John Stewart Carlton Banks. It would make sense if you called, Hal-Will & John-Carlton to show their difference in popularity but calling John, Carlton is just racist because the only similiarities they have is that they're black.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: This is racist, because they do different things and the only similarity is the color of skin? If by chance he had called John by any name of a stereotypical character ( in a racist point view ) like the characters of HBO series OZ,would be racism...

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes boring.

Kyle Rayner is the most appealing GL

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: This is racist, because they do different things and the only similarity is the color of skin? If by chance he had called John by any name of a stereotypical character ( in a racist point view ) like the characters of HBO series OZ,would be racism...

Yes. It's like walking up to a random black person on the street and calling them Lil Wayne, See how that could come off as offensive?

And Carlton Banks is an Uncle Tom character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: Not for me (I'm black), you know why? Because these are small things, if these people do not scold me and not beat me,why I would listen to such people? I just ignore it because to listen to these people, you will give them moral and inflate their egos, just because they like to angry people.

I don't know what Uncle Tom is....

To be happy, you have to ignore a lot of things in this life.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i never believe it when people on the net say they are black it just seems like a way of justifying an uncommon point of view. No offense to, Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade: I understood what you meant, but I just said by saying and already passed racist situations before, but I chose to ignore them. It is good for my health.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matchesmalone21: Doesn't change the fact its racist, and doesn't mean I'm angry.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#234  Edited By Mercy_

@rich711 said:
    @novi_homines said:

HA!! ...um, you just did. Okay, "Novus Homo" I will leave you alone since you clearly are not very bright.

I'm not sure what makes you think that this is an appropriate rebuttal to anything. It's not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: For God's sakes. I don't care about to what he says and think, if you care about ..bad for you. By some chance I said are you angry or something? not,I said that's what he wants, pay attention to what is written.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#236  Edited By Saren

@speedlgt said:

hes boring.

Kyle Rayner is the most appealing GL

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Rich711

@mercy_ said:

@rich711 said:
    @novi_homines said:

I'm not sure what makes you think that this is an appropriate rebuttal to anything. It's not.

Yes it is, you just don't know what we are talking about. He has incorrectly used the Latin term for "new man" as his screen name. He is using the plural form which would imply that he is all of the plebeian members of the ancient roman senate as a collective, which makes no sense. He correctly would be called "Novus Homo".So, tace atque abi, Mercy. Qualem muleirculam!

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Rich711

@outlawrenegade said:

i never believe it when people on the net say they are black it just seems like a way of justifying an uncommon point of view. No offense to, Matches

That is so racist. Now the whole net needs to prove just how "black" they are too you? As a biracial person that has dealt with your kind my whole life, I resent that. I guess we all have to pledge our love to a boring character like John Stewart for you to consider us "black enough". Well I say, no, to you and all the other sad John Stewart fans that think just because he is black that all black readers should love his boring ass and that anyone who doesn't must be haters and racists. John Stewart is boring and you, sir, are a bigot.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

straight trollin, lol

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By novi_homines

If only I can get my own name right. Oh wait...

Anyway, I saw this earlier and thought it would be fitting here. Some lines truly made me laugh.

Loading Video...

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So what if he's not in the JL now? There aren't any GLs on either team as yet...since they were trying to save the universe from Volthoom, and all. So if there aren't any GLs on the roster, I won't be too annoyed as I love the GLC as a team as well.

...as for the movie, it would have been disrespectful if Hal hadn't starred in the first GL movie, or if he won't be in the JL movie.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By OutlawRenegade

@sinestro_gl: It was fine when John was on the cartoon and Hal was not. It was totally 'respectful' and it made everything simpler and easier to understand. He didn't have to drag the backstory of another character with him. Bruce Timm let him stand on his own and created a cartoon that still airs every Saturday morning. It still influences thousands of people around the world. And it is one of the most highly acclaimed series ever.

More reasons for why John makes more sense in the Justice League movie can be found here:

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/4060-31815/forums/what-should-the-justice-league-film-costumes-look--1463850/#70

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: It was fine when John was on the cartoon and Hal was not. It was totally 'respectful' and it made everything simpler and easier to understand.

I suppose it would depend on who you were. Of course it was fine for certain people (newbies and John's fans. but i could understand how Hal's fans would feel differently.

He didn't have to drag the backstory of another character with him. Bruce Timm let him stand on his own and created a cartoon that still airs every Saturday morning. It still influences thousands of people around the world. And it is one of the most highly acclaimed series ever.

More reasons for why John makes more sense in the Justice League movie can be found here:

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america/4060-31815/forums/what-should-the-justice-league-film-costumes-look--1463850/#70

No arguement here

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outlawrenegade: I'm not sure how the inclusion of John over Hal made things "simpler and easier" to understand. You're also missing my point, I didn't say anything bad about the quality of the animated television show - only that I think Jordan should be the principal GL in media outside of comics.

Even if you take a look within the comic-book reading community, GL titles during the time Hal was dead sold moderately at best, with some titles actually struggling. I'm not saying that the quality of the books were bad, mind you.

Avatar image for the_greatest_green_lantern
    The_Greatest_Green_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: He just said that John can be used without introducing Hal. Using John after Hal adds a lot of backstory that doesn't need to be there if John is the main GL. Also, you're fogetting that Hal Jordan had several series cancelled and couldn't sell before Kyle Rayner, which is why DC had no problem getting rid of him and trying something new with the franchise. In fact, Hal was only used in back-up stories for quite some time. Hal only sold because Geoff did something new with the mythology. Hal is not that popular.

http://www.comicvine.com/hal-jordan/4005-11202/forums/hal-jordan-love-him-or-hate-him-1462016/#14

In your poll, only 45% of the respondents like Hal. And that was just the people who visit his forum and are supposed to be fans, lol.

He's definitely no Batman or Superman in the comics. He doesn't boost sales on a book, which is why he only has one title. Outside of comics, he's not very popular due to many being more familiar with John and after his live action flop .

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think DC hates John Stewart.

Agreed.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By sinestro_GL

@the_greatest_green_lantern: Even if that's not what he's saying, and you're right, THAT WAS NOT THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO TRYING TO MAKE.If I could TRIPLE underline that sentence, I would.

You're forgetting that around the time that Hal was 'killed', DC was struggling to sell comics. It's no coincidence that Superman died, Batman had his back broken and Hal went psycho all around the same time. DC wanted to sell titles, and so created these stories meant to 'shock' the community. The fact is that the GL books without Hal didn't do what DC wanted, and that's a reason why Hal was brought back. This new thing that DC was trying, as you said, didn't do well - and that's a fact. You mentioned that Hal had several series cancelled...wanna hear about how the other lanterns did?

And statistically speaking, the poll I created shows that the most popular attitude towards Hal is that they 'love' him.

As a final point, let me make it clear that I am a big fan of all of the Earth lanterns (apart from Simon - because I don't really know the guy, but hopefully he'll be in some great stories). I like all of them almost equally (with me obviously leaning more towards Hal).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90% of people who commented here only speak of it because Cartoon hardly because of comics and still call themselves fans? How many people actually knew of his existence before the cartoon?

@the_greatest_green_lantern:John can be more ''popular'' than Hal Jordan,but he also isn't Batman or Superman in the comics either and people tend to forget that Hal has been receiving much attention from medias these last years, even that horrible movie directed by Martin Campbell helped his popularity, not to mention his appearances in animations and many direct dvd market animated movies, some of them critically acclaimed and until now has presence even in games, making it a little more known among the public and calling the attention of those who didn't know him before. After all people are curious and when you have interest in a character who does not know, will seek information about it. Put John as the main character in Green Lanter wouldn't boost sales either,despite his popularity.

If John Stewart is so popular,why his forum his pratically dead?? Why this thread isn't in his forum?? To get attention.

Brcomicbookguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Brcomicbookguy

I think the reason he's not in the JL is because Hal's cocky attitude makes for a better read when he clashes with batman Wonder Woman aquaman etc. I couldn't see Stewart doing that. With Stewart batman Barry Allan and superman on the same team they would work well together and could make for boring reading. Maybe if wally west came back. Also I think he's too smart for the jla. I can't see John fighting Hal after joining the jla but maybe with baz being new to both he will.

GLJS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By GLJS

DC hates John Stewart because they resent the popularity that he got from appearing on Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. It's really that simple. I used to not like to believe that, even while he was being buried for so long, even if it looked that way. I still tried to think the best of them, but after hearing about the plans to kill John, I certainly no longer thought they were above that level of pettiness.

The sad truth (for them) is that John has more name recognition than any other Green Lantern and has had the most positive cultural impact of the Lanterns. People like Geoff Johns do not like it that general people think of the black Green Lantern more fondly than Hal Jordan, as attested to the huge backlash the GL movie received when its trailer was shown. They have tried to push Hal Jordan in other forms of media but he flops every time. His movie is an embarrassing disaster and his cartoon is being cancelled after one season.

The smart, plain as day business move for DC would have been to put all the effort and resources spent on resurrecting Hal Jordan into making John Stewart the prominent Green Lantern of the DCU. The highly acclaimed Justice League cartoon already paved the way for them. That would have given DC a well accepted minority character with a very powerful, attractive leading role. Hal Jordan is antiquated, whereas John Stewart is modern and what general people (potential new fans) know. Unfortunately, DC's *cough*Geoff Johns'* fanboyism got in the way of that, even though it was the painfully obvious course to take.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.