Follow

John Stewart

Character » John Stewart appears in 1833 issues.

Formerly an architect, social activist, and U.S. Marine sniper, John Stewart was chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to join the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic peacekeeping organization dedicated to protecting life throughout the universe. Stewart has proven himself time and again to be an exceptional champion in countless missions that have taken him across the cosmos. His distinguished service in the Corps has resulted in a place among the Oan Honor Guard and the position of Corps Leader.

Why Does DC Hate John Stewart? And Why Won't They Put Him In JL?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided

Green Lantern: Mosaic sold well in its initial release, it's a well known story, and the Green Lantern franchise is popular, so why won't DC release the story as a TPB or HC?

Why is John Stewart's biggest story never referenced in the current stories? He was a freaking guardian! No other Green Lantern can say that.

Why doesn't he have his own book? Why has no DC writer developed his character since Mosaic? He is popular.

Why wouldn't DC put him on a Justice League team post-Flashpoint? He's highly associated with the team in several forms of media.

Speaking of Green Lantern: Mosaic, does DC just hate John Stewart?

In an unusual move, and although sales of the book were very strong, Green Lantern: Mosaic was cancelled early into its run. In an interview, Cully Hamner revealed the reasons behind the cancellation:

(A)s I was told at the time, it didn’t fit with DC editorial vision (whatever that means). Sales didn’t matter, fan support didn’t matter; the first issue sold about 210,000 copies and my last issue sold about 70,000, so there was plenty of support for the book. It was marked for cancellation when issue #5 came out, and they allowed Gerry Jones a year to wrap it up, but there was no doubt that it was being cancelled because somebody upstairs just didn’t care for it. So, I had a feeling after a while of creatively being against a brick wall, and got out before the end. You pay your money, you takes your chances. That’s the biz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_Mosaic

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Who says John wont join the JL at some point? They obviously wouldn't have him as founding member seeing as how Johns is writing and he just spent he last eight years bringing Hal back into the fold. But its entirely possible that John could join the team at some point. John is also starring in GL Corps which isn't exactly a bad thing. As to why no one has developed his character since Mosaic, well im not sure if that's true. He was the leader of the Darkstars nd co-led the Justice League for while wasnt he? he also played important roles in the lives of Kyle Rayner and Donna Troy.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

As for Green Lantern: Mosaic. I have no answer.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Skewer

It's a good thing Bruce timm realised his potential years ago. If only DC would do the same.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Chill. No. DC doesn't hate John Stewart. If they did, they never would have made him a Green Lantern again or had him star in a cartoon. Relax.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skaddix

Cartoon had nothing to do with DC Comics. DC Comics has no control over Animation at all.

Avatar image for abigail_the_magical_person
    Abigail_The_Magical_Person

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the same about Wally. I like John too,

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

At least he's still in continuity.

Nightflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nightflash

I dont think DC hates him, it's just the fans prefer Hal

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    Because he's the most boring of the Earth Green Lanterns
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC

@The Stegman said:

This. Though I'd still take him over Simon Baz.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Lvenger

@Crash_Recovery said:

Chill. No. DC doesn't hate John Stewart. If they did, they never would have made him a Green Lantern again or had him star in a cartoon. Relax.

This.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain13

@The Stegman said:

So the only human ever to become a guardian is boring? Maybe because Johns and the other GL writers have done nothing with him. He was interesting in Mosaic and the cartoon, so?

And that's my point. Some people will consider him boring because he's never used. He's never at the center of galactic conflict. He's never the main character.

@Lvenger said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

This.

DC Animation and DC Comics are run by completely different people. They are completely different departments in Time Warner. I'm asking why DC Comics hates him. I know that DC animation loves him. DC Comics's current writers never do anything with John other than blow up planets. Do you know anything about his family? His background? His military history? Where he lives? Where he went to school? Etc.? No. But we have that info for Hal, Guy, and Kyle. We know more about Baz's background than John's, and Baz has only been around for like 5 issues. John has been around for nearly 40 years, and he's one of the most recognizable Lanterns if not the most recognizable. There is no excuse. No excuse.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Skewer said:

It's a good thing Dwayne Mcduffie realised his potential years ago. If only DC would do the same.

fixed

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@Captain13: We know more about Baz than John Stewart? Sorry but this is just incorrect. Baz has been in what, 5 issues? Really.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Captain13 said:

@The Stegman said:

So the only human ever to become a guardian is boring? Maybe because Johns and the other GL writers have done nothing with him. He was interesting in Mosaic and the cartoon, so?

And that's my point. Some people will consider him boring because he's never used. He's never at the center of galactic conflict. He's never the main character.

@Lvenger said:

@Crash_Recovery said:

This.

DC Animation and DC Comics are run by completely different people. They are completely different departments in Time Warner. I'm asking why DC Comics hates him. I know that DC animation loves him. DC Comics's current writers never do anything with John other than blow up planets. Do you know anything about his family? His background? His military history? Where he lives? Where he went to school? Etc.? No. But we have that info for Hal, Guy, and Kyle. We know more about Baz's background than John's, and Baz has only been around for like 5 issues. John has been around for nearly 40 years, and he's one of the most recognizable Lanterns if not the most recognizable. There is no excuse. No excuse.

It ,might be editorial influence, maybe Dan Didio and Geoff Johns are slowly edging him int the background. Or nobody knows what to do with him

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain13

@Crash_Recovery said:

@Captain13: We know more about Baz than John Stewart? Sorry but this is just incorrect. Baz has been in what, 5 issues? Really.

Do you know is John has any siblings? We know Baz does. We actually have seen a lot about Baz's family, but nothing about John's.

Do you know what Baz did before he was a GL and how he became a GL in the current continuity? Yup. Now that the New52 is around, we don't know that stuff about John. All we know is that he was a marine and an architect, but we've never actually seen those days. We've only been told about them. Do we know how John interacts with the Justice League in the current continuity now that he has no League history? No, but we do know how Baz does. I find all of that kind of strange considering Baz as been around for months while John has been around for decades. Oh, and John is one of the most well known Lanterns, but DC doesn't seem to be intent on capitalizing on that. They use Guy way more and have developed him way for (for example in his solo title and War of The Green Lanterns), even though John is a more well known Lantern. It's BS.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Captain13

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

It ,might be editorial influence, maybe Dan Didio and Geoff Johns are slowly edging him int the background.

That's what I'm afraid of. They are giving him the Tim Drake treatment. It's not as bad as the Wally West treatment, but it's still bad.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By briangsharon

Baz is what DC wants for J.Stewart.

I will speak bluntly , DC needs a more diverse set of characters, and they have shown this by making attempts at gender, sexual , and ethnic variations with different degrees of success.However they are a old company with a lot of old , white, traditional characters.

Unlike marvel - every introduction of a non white character is viewed with immense attention , wondering what this stoic company will do with a non white hero.

Now while we may or may not admit it , ethnic peoples often live in less than ideal conditions in america (historically).Whether it be the early Italians or the hispanic today - they have different experiences in this country than most of their white peers.

I believe that while J.Stewart is black in skin tone - he may very well be the most "bland" or "vanilla" of the Lanterns.By doing this they did not risk a backlash but still moved forward progressively ,but that only gets you so far.

America and the world views the treatment of ethic people in the USA in a negative light , especially the history the country has with black segregation.However as of right now the feelings towards people of Arabic background is not quite as sensitive.

Lets say you take the Simon Baz story and you change a couple details, lets say he is black and from a bad neighborhood.A street racer, a thief, a potential murderer, with tattoos and a superhero mask that looks like a balaclava.Do you think there would be some sort of a backlash?

I think so , and I'm not sure DC would run that story ... at all, despite the fact it is a premise which is interesting , and lays out potential for conflict (which in essence is the heart of story telling).

To sum it up, J.Stewart is avoided because he was a tool, to add diversity to the DCU while adding very little as far as character.

Is he more interesting than :

the Cocky Hal Jordan

or

The Brash Guy Gardner

or

The creative Kyle Rayner.

The answer is no

He is safe, and no artist is chomping at the bit to play it safe.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

John is my second favorite GL behind Guy. He'd be the best to put on a team. His military background means he knows combat tactics and how to follow orders, possibly lead. I feel like a hypocrite now though because I've never read Mosiac. Knowing Cully Hamner was involved just put it on my radar though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@Captain13: They probably don't know what to do with him. There's no evidence to support your claim that they 'hate' John Stewart, just that they don't know what to do with him.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Captain13

@Lvenger: They are paid to do something with him. It's their job as Green Lantern writers. Superman writers use Superman every month. Batman writers use Batman every month. I find it strange that they can something with every other character but John.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lvenger

@Captain13: Unfortunately I guess they must have other priorities. Particularly with Baz at the moment as well as Wrath of the First Lantern. GL titles seem to be focusing on those other things I guess.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Captain13

@Lvenger said:

@Captain13: Unfortunately I guess they must have other priorities. Particularly with Baz at the moment as well as Wrath of the First Lantern. GL titles seem to be focusing on those other things I guess.

I have no problem with that. I have a problem with Johns and the other GL writers doing absolutely nothing with John over the last decade of stories even though he is well known and popular. I also have a problem--to a lesser extent--with Green Lantern Mosaic getting canned even though is sold very well and had well known creators on it. The series is well known and highly regarded, but it is never referenced (which makes me think that it has been taken out of continuity). It has never been collected. And it has never been revived.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AtPhantom

Of course they hate John Stewart. They hate any Lantern not named "Hal Jordan."

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lvenger

@Captain13 said:

@Lvenger said:

I have no problem with that. I have a problem with Johns and the other GL writers doing absolutely nothing with John over the last decade of stories even though he is well known and popular. I also have a problem--to a lesser extent--with Green Lantern Mosaic getting canned even though is sold very well and had well known creators on it. The series is well known and highly regarded, but it is never referenced (which makes me think that it has been taken out of continuity). It has never been collected. And it has never been revived.

True canning GL: Mosaic was a poor move that doesn't really have a good explanation to it. But as I said before, some characters get left in obscurity in order for others to progress and John is an unfortunate victim of that.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Captain13 said:

@Lvenger said:

I wouldn't be surprised. Alot of good stuff was wiped out including stuff from Hal's Spectre series.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Captain13:  

@The Stegman said:

So just because he did one feat that makes him interesting?    Hal Jordan was the first Green Lantern to become the Spectre, and be possessed by Parallax 
    Kyle Rayner was Ion and the first lantern to master all of the emotional spectrum.  
    Simon Baz was the first lantern to cure someone with willpower alone 
    Guy Gardner was the first lantern with a stupid haircut. 

John isn't boring because he is underused, he's boring because he has no personality, he has one of two emotions 

1. Grief because he killed someone 

2. No nonsense, strict military drill Sargent 

Even in the JL cartoon he was boring, only interesting because others who were paired with him made it so, such as his romance with Hawkgirl, or his buddy cop routine with Wally.  
    Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Every character is someone's favorite. The fact of the matter is that unless they're tied to really strong sales they're not going to get an all-star treatment.

Sometimes characters who aren't "all start" are put on a team book with bigger characters in an attempt to increase their profile. In Justice League this is currently being attempted with Cyborg.

In the 90s, Grant Morrison stocked his Justice League team with the 7 "big guns" and then filled in with less popular characters. The big characters are the draw and fans developed an affinity for the lesser known/less popular characters that they otherwise may never have been exposed to.

It's unlikely John Stewart is going to become a blow-out solo super-star. But he HAS been a member of the JLA in comics in the mid 2000s, and continues to appear regularly in DC books, which is more than can be said for a lot of characters.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@The Stegman said:

@Captain13:

@The Stegman said:

So just because he did one feat that makes him interesting? Hal Jordan was the first Green Lantern to become the Spectre, and be possessed by Parallax Kyle Rayner was Ion and the first lantern to master all of the emotional spectrum. Simon Baz was the first lantern to cure someone with willpower alone Guy Gardner was the first lantern with a stupid haircut. John isn't boring because he is underused, he's boring because he has no personality, he has one of two emotions 1. Grief because he killed someone 2. No nonsense, strict military drill Sargent Even in the JL cartoon he was boring, only interesting because others who were paired with him made it so, such as his romance with Hawkgirl, or his buddy cop routine with Wally.

Stegman has a point. but thats really just more reason for DC to start developing him. give him a broader personality as well as his own rogues and stories so that he doesnt have to leach off Hal's anymore.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@The Stegman said:

@Captain13:

@The Stegman said:

So just because he did one feat that makes him interesting? Hal Jordan was the first Green Lantern to become the Spectre, and be possessed by Parallax Kyle Rayner was Ion and the first lantern to master all of the emotional spectrum. Simon Baz was the first lantern to cure someone with willpower alone Guy Gardner was the first lantern with a stupid haircut. John isn't boring because he is underused, he's boring because he has no personality, he has one of two emotions 1. Grief because he killed someone 2. No nonsense, strict military drill Sargent Even in the JL cartoon he was boring, only interesting because others who were paired with him made it so, such as his romance with Hawkgirl, or his buddy cop routine with Wally.

Stegman has a point. but thats really just more reason for DC to start developing him. give him a broader personality as well as his own rogues and stories so that he doesnt have to leach off Hal's anymore.

I completely agree, I don't hat John by any means, I want to see him in more stories, heck, any story that furthers a character's background is good in my book, but to make him be the GL in the FIRST Justice League movie, no, Hal, whether you like him or not, deserves the spot, but I wouldn't be against putting him in a Green Lantern movie, or even him having a guest appearance in JL. 
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@The Stegman said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@The Stegman said:

@Captain13:

@The Stegman said:

I completely agree, I don't hat John by any means, I want to see him in more stories, heck, any story that furthers a character's background is good in my book, but to make him be the GL in the FIRST Justice League movie, no, Hal, whether you like him or not, deserves the spot, but I wouldn't be against putting him in a Green Lantern movie, or even him having a guest appearance in JL.

I agree, Hal deserves that much at least.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Captain13

John was first in JLU and it wasn't an issue. It would work for the movie too.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Captain13 said:

thats because Hal had been Parallax'ed and forgotten by mainstream audiences.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Captain13

@The Stegman said:

@Captain13:

@The Stegman said:

Again, the problem is lack of development. Not his personality. For most of Geoff Johns's run Hal was a Mary Sue. Read Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night. Zero personality. He's only recently gotten one in the New 52. And you could switch out Hal in any one of those pre-Flashpoint stories with any other human lantern.

--

Anyhoo, being a strict military guy works for Captain America, Batman (to some extent), Cyclops, Cable, and a bunch of other characters, so I call BS. It's development. I can make John more interesting in one Comicvine Post than Johns has in the 10 years that he's been on Green Lantern.Just watch:

John Stewart wasn't actually a marine. He was only honorably discharged as one. In reality, he did covert missions for the United States Delta Force. He served with distinction. Silver Star. Bronze Star. Legion of Merit. Purple Heart. John has them all. By all accounts, John was a brilliant soldier and brilliant leader. He earned awards for shooting pistols and rifles. He's got training in unconventional warfare, underwater and above surface demolitions, air combat control, and combat instruction.

His family has a long history in the military. John was born and raised on bases abroad. His first trip to the United States was to attend West Point. While there, he made a name for himself as a boxer and as an excellent scholar. Four years later, he serves in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans, the Congo, and all across Latin America. His father fought in Vietnam. His older brother was also involved in special forces work until he lost his legs on a mission. His brother now works in the U.S. Treasury. His mother is a military surgeon.

The thing is, John had a habit of getting into trouble. He got into fights while standing up for fellow soldiers. He questioned leadership when it ran contrary to his beliefs. And on some missions, he got too close to his targets. In one case, he fell in love with a Mexican drug cartel leader's daughter. He tried to extricate her out of the organization after his mission went South, but she was killed. He feels responsible--because he is.

Worth noting is the fact that John served with Steve Trevor, Rex Mason, Rick Flagg, King Faraday, Sargeant Rock, and other DCU military heroes.

Due to John's extensive travel, he knows many languages, and he knows about many different cultures. But he doesn't feel at home anywhere. After requesting to resign from the military, he is honorably discharged, and the marine cover identity is given to him.

He travels the country righting wrongs for a few months. Eventually, he's drawn into a conflict involving the Green Lanterns on Earth, and he's recruited into the corps. He excels in space combat and diplomacy. He makes a name for himself as an incredible Green Lantern, but he still gets too close to the people he protects, and he still questions his superiors.

John is a workaholic because it distracts him from the fact that he feels most at home when he's not at home. He fits in with foreign cultures more than he fits in with his own. And the Green Lantern Corps needs bright lights like John Stewart now more than ever as the galaxy grows darker.

His love interests include: Katma Tui, his fellow corps member. Melani Tsai, his land lady and close friend on Earth. Fatality, a member of the star sapphires. Candy Johnson, his special forces contact with the CIA. Askari Asani, a princess on an alien world. And many others.

Personality: Think Jack Reacher meets Daniel Craig's Bond meets Captain America with some manly, Wolverine-type humor.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Captain13

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Captain13 said:

Mainstream audiences still don't care about him after his 2011 film.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Captain13 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Captain13:

@The Stegman said:

Again, the problem is lack of development. Not his personality. For most of Geoff Johns's run Hal was a Mary Sue. Read Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night. Zero personality. He's only recently gotten one in the New 52.

Thats more of a problem with Johns writing than Hal's character

And you could switch out Hal in any one of those pre-Flashpoint stories with any other human lantern.

some maybe but hardly all of them. And even if we could why should we?

--

Anyhoo, being a strict military guy works for Captain America, Batman (to some extent), Cyclops, Cable, and a bunch of other characters, so I call BS. It's development. I can make John more interesting in one Comicvine Post than Johns has in the 10 years that he's been on Green Lantern.Just watch:

John Stewart wasn't actually a marine. He was only honorably discharged as one. In reality, he did covert missions for the United States Delta Force. He served with distinction. Silver Star. Bronze Star. Legion of Merit. Purple Heart. John has them all. By all accounts, John was a brilliant soldier and brilliant leader. He earned awards for shooting pistols and rifles. He's got training in unconventional warfare, underwater and above surface demolitions, air combat control, and combat instruction.

His family has a long history in the military. John was born and raised on bases abroad. His first the United States was to attend West Point. While there, he made a name for himself as a boxer and as an excellent scholar. Four years later, he serves in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans, the Congo, and all across Latin America. His father fought in Vietnam. His older brother was also involved in special forces work until he lost his legs on a mission. His brother now works in the U.S. Treasury. His mother is a military surgeon.

The thing is, John had a habit of getting into trouble. He got into fights while standing up for fellow soldiers. He questioned leadership when it ran contrary to his beliefs. And on some missions, he got too close to his targets. In one case, he fell in love with a Mexican drug cartel leader's daughter. He tried to extricate her out of the organization after his mission went South, but she was killed. He feels responsible--because he is.

Due to John's extensive travel, he knows many languages, and he knows about many different cultures. But he doesn't feel at home anywhere. After requesting to resign from the military, he is honorably discharged, and the marine cover identity is given to him.

He travels the country righting wrongs for a few months. Eventually, he's drawn into a conflict involving the Green Lanterns on Earth, and he's recruited into the corps. He excels in space combat and diplomacy. He makes a name for himself as an incredible Green Lantern, but he still gets too close to the people he protects, and he still questions his superiors.

John is a workaholic because it distracts him from the fact that he feels most at home when he's not at home. He fits in with foreign cultures more than he fits in with his own. And the Green Lantern Corps needs bright lights like John Stewart now more than ever as the galaxy grows darker.

not bad.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Captain13 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@Captain13 said:

Mainstream audiences still don't care about him after his 2011 film.

and they dont care about John Stewart either. the only reason anyone complained was because they thought he was whitewashed and thought it was racism. everyone ive ever met who complained about it couldn't tell me a single thing about the "black Green Lantern".

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jphulk26

YEAH THEY SHOULD HAVE HIM AS GL.

Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wonderman1

I think four and now five human GLs is simply too many to share time. Guy is arguably the most interesting personality since he is so different from most every other DC hero. Hal is GL to a generation of readers. So is Kyle. I do not think John would have made it to their level, Mosaic notwithstanding, without the cartoon. Because of the cartoon however he is right there. Now all four have a claim to " playing time" and a fifth is introduced. It would be painful but I would like to see one human GL again. Hal retires and marries Carol, John finds his way back to some interstellar force, Kyle becomes a Guardian and Guy reopens the bar and is a regular and frequent supporting character for Baz. I would read it and DC could surely use a Muslim hero. If they respect the past while moving forward it could work. Right now there are too many.

Avatar image for showboatingpenguin
    ShowboatingPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Stewart shouldn't deserve half the popularity he has, because of that stupid JL Cartoon IMO.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarkDay

@The Stegman said:

I disagree.

No Caption Provided
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Wonderman1 said:

I think four and now five human GLs is simply too many to share time. Guy is arguably the most interesting personality since he is so different from most every other DC hero. Hal is GL to a generation of readers. So is Kyle. I do not think John would have made it to their level, Mosaic notwithstanding, without the cartoon. Because of the cartoon however he is right there. Now all four have a claim to " playing time" and a fifth is introduced. It would be painful but I would like to see one human GL again. Hal retires and marries Carol, John finds his way back to some interstellar force, Kyle becomes a Guardian and Guy reopens the bar and is a regular and frequent supporting character for Baz. I would read it and DC could surely use a Muslim hero. If they respect the past while moving forward it could work. Right now there are too many.

i wouldnt mind that.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlackWind

Because writers never bother to go anywhere other than "stoic military man" with him.

@ShowboatingPenguin said:

Stewart shouldn't deserve half the popularity he has, because of that stupid JL Cartoon IMO.

Lol stupid cartoon.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#45  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I Know right? He was awesome in the Justice League Carton and he's my second favorite GL behind BaZ and I hate Hal Jordon. Wish DC Featured him more often on the main scene.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I Know right? He was awesome in the Justice League Carton and he's my second favorite GL behind BaZ and I hate Hal Jordon. Wish DC Featured him more often on the main scene.

Its funny how you claim to hate Hal Jordan when cartoon John basically WAS classic Hal Jordan. John was an arrogant, whiny, racist,hyporcrite for years

Edit: this was harsh of me.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Saren

Hate is a strong word. Apathy is probably a better fit.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mysoulz

@Captain13: The Mosaic storyline was a well thought development that put John's Stewart's character in a major role, by communicating with other races from different planets, dealing with social issues, racial issues as the "black lantern", and having ways to deal with Appa Ali Apsa in his conscience. If anything, the character seems more as an intellect, finding ways to overcome problems with both the societies and other GLs. He even had a quite sociable relationship with his girlfriend. If anything, Gerard Jones portrayed John Stewart more of an open minded architect character that's motivated to build and make a better society. It's saddened the character's development is gone and the story being forgotten.

I'm disappointed the very fact that Tomasi forcing John to kill another GL in the new 52 and he didn't get a chance to be shared in an origin story with Guy Gardner. This is a character is still being treated poorly and it's sad. And it's interesting that Geoff Johns is taking his time to focus and develop on a new character and treating Sinestro's development as an important role in Hal Jordan's book (unlike Stewart in Geoff's runs). Part of the new 52 was designed to bring in new readers.

It would be interesting to see John Stewart in the JL, but he could still get bad treatment like Cyborg imo.

I'm very disappointed in how these writers are treating him.

Very good thread, Captain.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @briangsharon

Baz is what DC wants for J.Stewart.

I will speak bluntly , DC needs a more diverse set of characters, and they have shown this by making attempts at gender, sexual , and ethnic variations with different degrees of success.However they are a old company with a lot of old , white, traditional characters.

Unlike marvel - every introduction of a non white character is viewed with immense attention , wondering what this stoic company will do with a non white hero.

Now while we may or may not admit it , ethnic peoples often live in less than ideal conditions in america (historically).Whether it be the early Italians or the hispanic today - they have different experiences in this country than most of their white peers.

I believe that while J.Stewart is black in skin tone - he may very well be the most "bland" or "vanilla" of the Lanterns.By doing this they did not risk a backlash but still moved forward progressively ,but that only gets you so far.

America and the world views the treatment of ethic people in the USA in a negative light , especially the history the country has with black segregation.However as of right now the feelings towards people of Arabic background is not quite as sensitive.

Lets say you take the Simon Baz story and you change a couple details, lets say he is black and from a bad neighborhood.A street racer, a thief, a potential murderer, with tattoos and a superhero mask that looks like a balaclava.Do you think there would be some sort of a backlash?

I think so , and I'm not sure DC would run that story ... at all, despite the fact it is a premise which is interesting , and lays out potential for conflict (which in essence is the heart of story telling).

To sum it up, J.Stewart is avoided because he was a tool, to add diversity to the DCU while adding very little as far as character.

Is he more interesting than :

the Cocky Hal Jordan

or

The Brash Guy Gardner

or

The creative Kyle Rayner.

The answer is no

He is safe, and no artist is chomping at the bit to play it safe.

Damn shame, one of my favorite Lanterns. He's being marginalized because he was a token black character they never intended on going far with in the first place. So despite his unintended popularity ( which should be all the reason more to explore and expand his story), he still gets pushed to the side by editorial. Wow
    Mannequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mannequin

@Nightflash said:

I dont think DC hates him, it's just the fans prefer Hal

I honestly don't see how people would actually prefer him. He was an ignorant ass in Justice League (DCnU), I've only read the first arc so I can't speak on if he's changed his attitude as the series progressed, but I'm not feeling him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.