Follow

Jim Lee

Person » Jim Lee is credited in 1388 issues.

Jim Lee is a Korean-American artist and writer, who shot to fame with Marvel titles such as X-Men in the 90's. He created Wildstorm under Image Comics, which he later sold to DC Comics where he acted as Editorial Director. In 2010, he became Co-Publisher of DC Comics.

Jim Lee Art Update

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    Courtesy of DC’s Source blog, we get the chance today to witness the creative process behind one of Jim Lee’s pieces. In this case, it’s the cover to the coffee table book ICONS: THE DC COMICS & WILDSTORM ART OF JIM LEE.  It sounds like a cool package. Here’s the official description…

One of the most successful and popular artists to work in comics, Jim Lee is revered by fans worldwide thanks to his hyper-dynamic artwork and innovative character and costume design.
    Now, his work on Batman and Superman — not to mention his legion of WildStorm heroes including WildC.A.T.s, Divine Right and Deathblow — is celebrated in this beautiful hardback, which includes an exclusive interview with Jim Lee, a tour of his studio and hundreds of full-color illustrations and pencils spanning his entire career!
    Plus an all-new cover by Lee and an exclusive, all-new eight-page comic strip, written by Paul Levitz ( Legion of Super-Heroes) with art by Lee!

Nice. The books supposed to come out from Titan Books in August, so look out for it. Now, without further delay, here’s Jim Lee’s first design for the cover.

No Caption Provided

And his final pencils, changing the pose slightly and giving it more relief lighting with an overhead light source.

Now, here are Scott William’s inks, adding texture and hatching to the image.

The fully-colored cover hasn’t been released (or likely, completed) yet, but I’m sure it’s been going to be a hell of production job.

Also, it turns out we only got part of Jim Lee’s statement of assurance that he’ll keep drawing when I reported on it before.  Here’s the complete text...

I wanted to follow the Co-Publisher’s blog with a more personal update of my own creative work. For fans of my art–fear not, drawing comic books is actually a part of my new job description, and I actually plan on increasing the frequency of which you will be seeing my work. It’s important to me not only on a personal level that I continue with a hand in the actual creation of new comics but also for a broader mission.

The mission?

To energize the DCE editorial group through a two-pronged approach. Working with Co-Publisher Dan DiDio and writer/Chief Creative Officer, Geoff Johns, I hope to establish new, exciting directions for the DCU working with the current editorial teams: re-imaging long forgotten, obscure characters, updating classic ones, and introducing yet new ones. That’s the prong from the top down: defining direction and spearheading innovation. Then, down in the trenches, working on actual titles, creating excitement amongst the fans, leading by example from the ground up.

DC would be shortsighted to enlist some of the top talents in the business and keep them from doing their best creative work. So please expect to see renewed productivity in the near future. Oh, and an update on All-Star Batman and Robin after I get to chat with and hear out my collaborator, Frank Miller.

‘Til then, enjoy some of my recent work for the upcoming ICONS: Art of Jim Lee book from Titan Books. Oh, and for the curious, this is NOT the final cover. In fact, I rejected it and decided to redo it (I kept the Trinity composition but changed the angle of the shot and pushed the lighting a lot more).

Best,
    Jim

Sounds like Lee’s got ambitions for the company to match the feats of these three superheroes.   I’ll be curious to see what the “update” on ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN is. How long has that series been running, now?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tyler Starke

I wonder if he even has to try anymore or if drawing a flawless batman,wonder woman, and superman etc. comes as natural as his daily sh*ts

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Agent Buttons
    cool
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mattydeNero

He is the essential template to modern comic book art.  IMO Jim Lee can draw anyone and make the book worth whatever the price.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By No_Name_

I've never seen Batman in the middle.

The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By The_Warlord

Jim Lee=Comic Book Art God

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No_name_here
    @Babs:Nobody puts Batty in the middle...
    Lawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lawton

Indeed. Jim Lee = GOD.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Theodore

I love it

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 4Essence

Can't wait for this!
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenkey

I wish he made his Batman ears long but who am I to complain, the guy is the best.
    spartanmusashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spartanmusashi

I like how he avoided the anime visual trend. Great attention to detail. 

Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

heres me thinking he just cracks one off over a piece of paper.  

but no, seriously that's wonderful, the pencils I mean. I noticed the changes, like Supermans anime look and now, in inks, a more optimistic and Godly stance for all of them. My main issue is with Wonder Woman though, she looks kinda butch. I prefer the smoldering look in Jim Lee's pencils.

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By 00 Raiser

I miss the days Jim Lee did the artwork for X-Men. No one did a better Storm and Psylocke then him.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3
    @Babs said:
    "I've never seen Batman in the middle. "
                  Being in the middle, make's Batman look like the leader.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Gothic Storm

Excellent work as always. Jim Lee is obviously an incredible artist, but he's also a great family man. I waited in line to meet him awhile back and after he had answered so many questions about , "Who's your favorite character to draw?" and "Will you draw me a Wolverine?" (after he had drawn over 500 of them already) I stepped up and asked him to draw me one of the characters he hasn't drawn a lot of. I then asked him how his family was and what artists his kids liked best. He laughed and thanked me for not asking about his work. (Apparently he was burned out by that point. 

So he drew me a Gambit and we talked for a few minutes longer. Great guy and awesome artist. I'll have to post the pic in my gallery soon.

MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MemnochZERO

Jim Lee does do a fantastic Gambit. I'm really happy to hear about his promotion and new responsibilities, and VERY glad to hear he's gonna keep doing art. His work on X-Men is what got me interested in drawing "superheroes" instead of just monsters and characters I liked in movies. 

Rock on, Jim Lee!
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Though I do not own any comics by Jim Lee, but I have seen his work everywhere on the net and it is amazing. Some work from Image back in the 90's was alright, but in DC HE ROCKS. (Wish he could be the artist for the current Teen Titans comics).

B A T S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By B A T S
    @Babs said:
    " I've never seen Batman in the middle. "
    "Batman in the middle"...
    Sounds like the name of a really bad Batman related sitcom...
    Or maybe I'm just thinking about Malcom in the Middle...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Babs said:
    " I've never seen Batman in the middle. "
    I hadn't ever thought of that, but I guess you're right...
    R.O.Y.G.B.I.V.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R.O.Y.G.B.I.V.

i miss when jim lee did Batman Hush and Superman For Tomorow
    Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rabbit Tots
    @spartanmusashi said:
    "I like how he avoided the anime visual trend. Great attention to detail.  "

I can't stress how true this is. THANK YOU JIM!
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jamiracles
    @Babs: I honestly dont know how i feel about it either lol. Dont get me wrong, I love Bats though.
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jamiracles
    @Tyler Starke: Lol
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By dane

I think I would definitely buy that. I grew up with Jim Lee's X-Men and Batman.

Jodin20723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jodin20723

Jim Lee is one of the most Dynamic artists of our time. love how he typically has batman holding his cape, while supermans usally tends to be aginst a wind blowing from back to front.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.